PDA

View Full Version : Make-A-Wish help - Super Mario

Cristo Meyers
2015-05-08, 09:47 AM
Hi guys

So we could use some help here. My workplace is doing a Make-A-Wish event for a child, and when I found out the theme I figured this would be right up this place's alley: Mario Bros.

The storyline is already planned, so to speak, we just could use some technical help with my team's part of the project. We need a warp pipe and two pirahna plants (the classic red and white spotted one would be best).

The warp pipe we're pretty sure on, it's the plants that are giving us a bit of trouble. I'm thinking it'll be three basic parts: head, stem, and vines, but I'm at a loss on what to make the head out of. Anyone got any ideas?

Ravens_cry
2015-05-08, 10:42 AM
Paper mache over a balloon for the basic shape of the head maybe? Cut in half and decorate.

Lentrax
2015-05-09, 04:28 PM
How big do you need the plant to be?

Cristo Meyers
2015-05-10, 12:08 PM
How big do you need the plant to be?

I'm thinking the head would be about the size of an average beach ball, maybe a little bigger.

Lentrax
2015-05-10, 05:18 PM
Well, my local craft store sells foam balls in various sizes. I don't recall offhand if they are that big, but you could easily take some of them, cut them in half and paint them with the proper pattern. You can use some fake vines for the stalks if you bind them to dowel rods, and I am not sure how well it would work. but you could probably fashion some modeling clay to look like the piranha plants lips.

Cristo Meyers
2015-05-12, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the help, but it looks like we were misinformed. We won't doing Super Mario...

... we will, however, be doing Minecraft. This we're actually pretty practised at (for a band of boring insurance workers, anyway :smallwink:).

Might not be as memorable as the Superspy send-off we did a year or so back, but should be fun.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2015-05-12, 10:05 PM
I can't offer help, but I offer my well wishes. That sounds awesome.

banjo1985
2015-05-13, 02:54 AM
Have you considered the greeny-grey foam blocks that are used in fake flower arranging to make the shapes? It's hard enough to be able to craft and shape properly compared to normal foam, but there may be an issue getting a piece big enough for a big square head or the like. Not sure how big flower arrangements get.

Cristo Meyers
2015-05-13, 12:09 PM
I can't offer help, but I offer my well wishes. That sounds awesome.

Thanks. It's going to be great.

Have you considered the greeny-grey foam blocks that are used in fake flower arranging to make the shapes? It's hard enough to be able to craft and shape properly compared to normal foam, but there may be an issue getting a piece big enough for a big square head or the like. Not sure how big flower arrangements get.

We're going to have to see what we have from last time. This'll actually be the second time we've done something Minecraft-themed. Pretty sure we've got a Creeper floating around somewhere...

Ravens_cry
2015-06-02, 02:00 PM
Just listen for the hiss!:smalltongue:

Grinner
2015-06-02, 02:34 PM
Just listen for the hiss!:smalltongue:

By then it's already too late. :smallamused:

Cristo Meyers
2015-06-02, 02:53 PM
By then it's already too late. :smallamused:

Yeah, made leaving work last week interesting. I round the corner and there's this big green thing just staring at me...

Everything went perfectly and now the kid's on his way to Germany for the real prize: a castle tour (Neuschwenstein, I think).