PDA

View Full Version : A Dilemma of Roleplay

Hazrond
2015-05-08, 09:53 AM
So in a game I am starting of pathfinder I decided to play a summoner. Class was all well and good but I am stuck on the personality side of things. So far I have two ideas and I'm not completely sure if they are mutually exclusive.

1. Is a researcher type, who studies the eidolon, working out his strengths and weaknesses due to it being an "Undiscovered" outsider

2. Is a more childlike view on things, acting like best friends and protecting each other while also being somewhat naive, doing things like playing while the party makes camp

If it helps at all I plan to play a halfling, with an ability that basically makes everyone assume he is a human child until told otherwise

Anybody have an idea of what I should do and maybe how to play it? Are these mutually exclusive or are they mixable? Etc.

goto124
2015-05-08, 10:04 AM
'Inquisitive' is one characteristic he sure has!

Be careful to play it such that it doesn't annoy the party both IC and OOC though... you probably won't play up the 'child' bit of him too much due to this.

Hazrond
2015-05-08, 10:10 AM
Be careful to play it such that it doesn't annoy the party both IC and OOC though... you probably won't play up the 'child' bit of him too much due to this.

Yes, this was one concern I had that I was hoping to find advice for here.

Segev
2015-05-08, 10:19 AM
How about both? The Eidolon WAS your childhood friend, and as you grew up, you started becoming more scholastically curious about it. You still, however, lapse into your somewhat childish interactions because - let's be honest - even grown-ups behave rather immaturely with their old, old friends. That you look like a kid makes people think it's just natural.

But you're actually quite serious about maping your friend's abilities. Not only will it let you and he work together better, but you're both curious about from whence he comes and what sort of being he really is.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-05-08, 11:02 AM
Yes, this was one concern I had that I was hoping to find advice for here.
Something you should be putting front and center: the struggle between what they want to believe (their naivete) and the reality they're confronted with (the ugly world). They shouldn't ignore it, they should engage that and try to find a compromise. That could be a really powerful struggle. Being inquisitive leads you to find some awful things about the world.

I think the two big things to watch out for are inaction (your naivete leads you to not want to do anything about a threat, because you don't want to believe it's a threat) and stupidity (your naivete leads you to violate your survival instincts). Play as someone who tries to find positive solutions to everything, but accept that they won't always happen.

Vitruviansquid
2015-05-08, 11:05 AM
Whenever I'm in one of these situations, I just don't plan a personality at all and instead see what comes up during play.

Hazrond
2015-05-08, 11:59 AM
How about both? The Eidolon WAS your childhood friend, and as you grew up, you started becoming more scholastically curious about it. You still, however, lapse into your somewhat childish interactions because - let's be honest - even grown-ups behave rather immaturely with their old, old friends. That you look like a kid makes people think it's just natural.

But you're actually quite serious about maping your friend's abilities. Not only will it let you and he work together better, but you're both curious about from whence he comes and what sort of being he really is. Oooh, i like this idea, this is good. :smallamused:

Something you should be putting front and center: the struggle between what they want to believe (their naivete) and the reality they're confronted with (the ugly world). They shouldn't ignore it, they should engage that and try to find a compromise. That could be a really powerful struggle. Being inquisitive leads you to find some awful things about the world.

I think the two big things to watch out for are inaction (your naivete leads you to not want to do anything about a threat, because you don't want to believe it's a threat) and stupidity (your naivete leads you to violate your survival instincts). Play as someone who tries to find positive solutions to everything, but accept that they won't always happen. And how would i do this? Could you give an example or two so i have a good basis? :smallsmile:

Hazrond
2015-05-08, 12:25 PM
Whenever I'm in one of these situations, I just don't plan a personality at all and instead see what comes up during play. I do this sometimes, but sometimes its also fun to have it planned out, it also comes with the added bonus of being able to ask others for advice before you do something stupid :smalltongue:

Honest Tiefling
2015-05-08, 01:15 PM
Another idea is that the character is more immature then outright childish. He doesn't play like a kid while the group is making camp.

He could, however, be extremely trusting and emotionally invested in his friends. He adores the party, they can do no wrong and there is almost always something inherently wrong with those who oppose them. The guard that stops the party as just another part of his job is now some sort of thug throwing his weight around. Merchants who charge too much are all lazy, greedy cowards.

The thing is, as educated as this character is, the arguments are well phrased. References to history and we'll known literary works are thrown in. He is articulate, but the arguments are flawed if one examines them closely.

Hazrond
2015-05-08, 02:01 PM
Another idea is that the character is more immature then outright childish. He doesn't play like a kid while the group is making camp. Ah, another example of my IRL Cha of 7 making my examples completely terrible

He could, however, be extremely trusting and emotionally invested in his friends. He adores the party, they can do no wrong and there is almost always something inherently wrong with those who oppose them. The guard that stops the party as just another part of his job is now some sort of thug throwing his weight around. Merchants who charge too much are all lazy, greedy cowards. Oh i like this too, so many great suggestions in this thread, this is why i love you guys :smallbiggrin:

The thing is, as educated as this character is, the arguments are well phrased. References to history and we'll known literary works are thrown in. He is articulate, but the arguments are flawed if one examines them closely.Hmm, again i run into a wall where i have trouble understanding things somewhat, an example would be appreciated :smallsmile:

Honest Tiefling
2015-05-08, 03:25 PM
You falsely assume that I myself am articulate. Flattering, but I'll need you to bear with me knowing this.

Let's say that the group has encountered a merchant of gems. The party caster needs some, but the merchant isn't being helpful Rather then him calling him greedy to his face, for instance, the character might let drop a reference to a well-known tale of a goodly outsider disguising themselves as a beggar to get a reaction out of the merchant. (And tying into the idea of research about outsiders). They might also suggest to the party of ruining the merchant's reputation as just retaltation. They might try to phrase such in flowery language, not the language of a child.

They might also get flustered at this merchant being so audaciously greedy, and try to verbally spar...Perhaps using large words they don't fully know the meaning of and getting upset when someone money-grubbing merchant corrects them!

Overall, the character's vocabulary, methods and knowledge is not that of a child, but a well-travelled scholar. But the underlying motives are that of an immature brat. Does that help?

Hazrond
2015-05-08, 03:36 PM
You falsely assume that I myself am articulate. Flattering, but I'll need you to bear with me knowing this.

Let's say that the group has encountered a merchant of gems. The party caster needs some, but the merchant isn't being helpful Rather then him calling him greedy to his face, for instance, the character might let drop a reference to a well-known tale of a goodly outsider disguising themselves as a beggar to get a reaction out of the merchant. (And tying into the idea of research about outsiders). They might also suggest to the party of ruining the merchant's reputation as just retaltation. They might try to phrase such in flowery language, not the language of a child.

They might also get flustered at this merchant being so audaciously greedy, and try to verbally spar...Perhaps using large words they don't fully know the meaning of and getting upset when someone money-grubbing merchant corrects them!

Overall, the character's vocabulary, methods and knowledge is not that of a child, but a well-travelled scholar. But the underlying motives are that of an immature brat. Does that help?

Yes, thank you! :smallbiggrin:

goto124
2015-05-09, 03:39 AM
They might try to phrase such in flowery language, not the language of a child.

Eheheheh :smalltongue:

Hawkstar
2015-05-09, 11:15 AM
So in a game I am starting of pathfinder I decided to play a summoner. Class was all well and good but I am stuck on the personality side of things. So far I have two ideas and I'm not completely sure if they are mutually exclusive.

1. Is a researcher type, who studies the eidolon, working out his strengths and weaknesses due to it being an "Undiscovered" outsider

2. Is a more childlike view on things, acting like best friends and protecting each other while also being somewhat naive, doing things like playing while the party makes camp

If it helps at all I plan to play a halfling, with an ability that basically makes everyone assume he is a human child until told otherwise

Anybody have an idea of what I should do and maybe how to play it? Are these mutually exclusive or are they mixable? Etc.Eh... #2 sounds more fun if you can pull it off. However, the problem I see with both is that your character is so strongly built around his relationship with his eidolon, which creates a strong "Playing With myself/2 player characters" sense.

I suggest getting a little red wagon to ride while engaging in philosophical arguments. And packing a LOT of snowballs.

Hazrond
2015-05-09, 03:04 PM
Eh... #2 sounds more fun if you can pull it off. However, the problem I see with both is that your character is so strongly built around his relationship with his eidolon, which creates a strong "Playing With myself/2 player characters" sense.

I suggest getting a little red wagon to ride while engaging in philosophical arguments. And packing a LOT of snowballs.

We are heading into the frozen north, snowballs will be had :smallbiggrin: