PDA

View Full Version : Can this item replace the cleric?

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-04-19, 04:29 AM
The title's a bit misleading but more interesting than "Custom Item Question." Anyhow: could a custom item (say, a ring) that cast Cure Light Wounds on command take care of one's healing after battle? Unless I'm mistaken, it would only cost 1800 gp, and as long as you had time to use it, heal you without any spell expenditure. This seems like it would be an overly cheap item though, so I wonder if I'm not calculating the price wrong. (This actually came up because I'm designing a warforged in a campaign that probably won't have an artificer; this way I could have a ring of repair to heal myself after battle without being a huge drain on the cleric.)

So, am I wrong about this?

(And yes, I know a cleric has many more uses than "healbot." No need to remind me.)

Seffbasilisk
2007-04-19, 04:43 AM
Keep in mind that all custom items must be approved by the DM, the cleric has much more utility then just a heal-bot, yadda yadda yadda, sometimes you want a heavy heal during combat... etc.

Yes, I think it's a good idea. I had a warforged with 'underwiring of repair light damage', campaign didn't roll for too long so I didn't get to see how it played out, but mechanically it's feasable....RP wise, you might want to think about why, if you have an eternally fixing immortal bot...why on earth are they adventuring and risking all that?

SpiderBrigade
2007-04-19, 04:49 AM
Seff, I don't know if you meant it that way, but "underwiring of repair light damage" is incredibly amusing. I guess that's what you'd call a combat support item?

Khantalas
2007-04-19, 04:51 AM
Well, I think such an item should require an attunement period. Otherwise you'd just put it on whenever it's needed and you would still wear other rings when it matters.

Hey, who cares what I think?

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-04-19, 04:55 AM
Well, I think such an item should require an attunement period. Otherwise you'd just put it on whenever it's needed and you would still wear other rings when it matters.

Hey, who cares what I think?

Actually, that's a great idea, since otherwise it would be a communal item. "Oh, you got hit too? Let me finish getting healed up, then it's your turn."

Ethdred
2007-04-19, 04:57 AM
Isn't this a variant on the good old Ring of True Strike? Ie a use activated 1st level spell casting game breaker? There is a reason why it should cost more than 1800 - and not just because of its extreme utility - but I can't remember it

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-19, 05:03 AM
I've dumped 4/day rings of heal into games before. When the party lacked a cleric it was nice that they coudl get healed up, and being usable a limited number of times per day stopped some of the cheapness.

lord_khaine
2007-04-19, 05:04 AM
the dmg also says that when creating new magical items you should look at the pricing of simular magical items.

in this case the closest mach is a ring of regeneration. i dont have my books with me, but as i recall it costs at least 20k, and heal you for your lv in hp per hour.

with this a guideline i think your ring would end up costing some 200k at least.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-04-19, 05:06 AM
Um, wow. I didn't even think of that possibility. Yikes.

So, with that in mind, I suppose if the cure/repair ring was a charges/day item, it wouldn't be game-breaking, though it'd be extremely affordable.

That would mean the originial idea is somewhat mistaken, though.

[Edit:] Ninja'd, of course.

in this case the closest mach is a ring of regeneration. i dont have my books with me, but as i recall it costs at least 20k, and heal you for your lv in hp per hour.

with this a guideline i think your ring would end up costing some 200k at least.

That ring can also grow your limbs back. Which this would assuredly not do.

Ashlan
2007-04-19, 05:24 AM
A Ring of Regeneration (at level 20) can heal 20hp per hour or roughly .033 hp per round. A ring that casts Cure Light Wounds can heal 1d8 or 4.5 hp per round or 2700 hp per hour, and it is not limited to the wearer. I think 200kgp would be fair even if it doesn't regrow limbs.

Ash

Ikkitosen
2007-04-19, 05:26 AM
Continuous CLW would do you no good as it's not a duration spell. You could get a 5/day one though.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-04-19, 05:53 AM
Correct, although continuous wasn't the idea, use-activated was.

Regardless, I think I'll ask the DM about a 4-5/day Repair ring. The whole idea isn't meant to break the game, but to be less of a pain with the warforged penalty to healing spells.

Dreyden
2007-04-19, 06:03 AM
For a comparison to a similar item, look at the Healing Belt, Magic Item Compendium, P. 110. 750 gp, 3 charges/day. Ignoring the 2 and 3 charge options (which give the option of bigger heals for more charges), this thing can heal 6d8 hp per day. It's definitely better than a 3/day CLW.

Of course, the assumption that everything in the Magic Item Compendium is fairly balanced may be a faulty one. I've got a thread on the Wizards forums and a custserv message about the Crystal of Energy Assault (lesser) being far better than the Flaming/Frost/Shock/Corrosive properties.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-04-19, 06:10 AM
For a comparison to a similar item, look at the Healing Belt, Magic Item Compendium, P. 110. 750 gp, 3 charges/day. Ignoring the 2 and 3 charge options (which give the option of bigger heals for more charges), this thing can heal 6d8 hp per day. It's definitely better than a 3/day CLW.

Ohhh, helpful! Thanks.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-19, 06:18 AM
Isn't this a variant on the good old Ring of True Strike? Ie a use activated 1st level spell casting game breaker? There is a reason why it should cost more than 1800 - and not just because of its extreme utility - but I can't remember it
There had a Bow of True Arrows (the bow itself didn't had an actual enhancement bonus, tough) with True strike once a round in Sword and Fist, and in the DMG2, there's the Rod of Sure Striking with 3 True Strikes/day.
For the ring, make a stronger version of the Regenerating Ring, that reals by rounds, instead of minutes, add the atunement time, and drop the regenerating limbs/revive part. Or just carry extra potions and tablets.

daggaz
2007-04-19, 06:46 AM
Feh, if i was gonna make a ring with the intention of replacing the cleric, I would much rather have one that cast Righteous Might and Divine Power/Favor on me.

Seffbasilisk
2007-04-19, 09:57 PM
Get scalemail made out of tiny 'repair' tiles. Each time you're hit, you heal!

CASTLEMIKE
2007-04-19, 10:35 PM
I suggest making it into another kind of item (Normally you can only wear two magic rings).

If your DM will approve it consider a Fast Healing 1 item to.

The reason I think it is a good ideal since it is Wizards introduced 300 GP Faith Tokens and Drow House Amulets that let you cast One or Two Cantrips Twice a Day or a Single level One spell Once a Day.

Multiply Single Daily Use Times Five and you have a very useful 1,500 GP magic item.

Ethdred
2007-04-20, 07:49 AM
I suggest making it into another kind of item (Normally you can only wear two magic rings).

If your DM will approve it consider a Fast Healing 1 item to.

The reason I think it is a good ideal since it is Wizards introduced 300 GP Faith Tokens and Drow House Amulets that let you cast One or Two Cantrips Twice a Day or a Single level One spell Once a Day.

Multiply Single Daily Use Times Five and you have a very useful 1,500 GP magic item.

Where are these tokens and amulets to be found? They sound very useful for one of my current parties

PinkysBrain
2007-04-20, 09:59 AM
Even without a custom item you don't need a cleric for out of combat healing, wands of CLW and Lesser Vigor are cheap enough to use for that anyway.

MaxKaladin
2007-04-20, 10:35 AM
The cleric in one game I'm in made a similar item for my rogue. It's an amulet of CLW 2/day (Command word: "AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!" :)).

See, my rogue is often seperated from the rest of the party (scouting, trying to get behind the enemy to flank, etc.) so the cleric can't just step up and heal him like he generally can with the rest of the party. My rogue also has a reputation for reckless bravery. The cleric considers this a bad combination so he made the amulet as an emergency item to try to keep my rogue alive long enough to get back for healing.