PDA

View Full Version : [Craptastic Class] Assistant Zookeeper

paigeoliver
2007-04-19, 04:39 AM
I am working on a setting/book based on playing craptastic non-adventuring characters who blunder around in the same worlds that that all the powerful adventurers do. And yes I know a 5 level base class is not the norm.

“Mostly I just have to clean the poo out of the monkey cages, but on a good day I get to feed the lions.

Alexi - Assistant Zookeeper

Assistant Zookeeper

Not everyone lives a life of adventure, someone has to clean up after the elephants and feed the monkeys, and that is where the Assistant Zookeeper comes in. The Assistant Zookeeper is a 5 level base class designed for non player characters or as a player character class for extremely low powered campaigns.

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Assistant Zookeepers are proficient with the following weapons, whip, club, and blowgun. They are proficient with all shields, but not with any types of armor.

No Sense of Smell (Ex) Once a man shovels enough dung he just stops smelling it. The assistant zookeeper is immune to all non-magical smell and stench abilities, and has a +4 competence bonus on his saves against magical smell attacks.

Animal Handling (Ex) The Assistant Zookeeper adds his class level as a circumstance bonus on all handle animal and ride checks.

Dodge Animal (Ex) The Assistant Zookeeper is well versed in the art of staying out of the way of hostile animals. He receives a +2 dodge bonus to armor class against all normal and dire animals at second level, at 4th level this bonus increases to +4.

Animal Companion (Ex) By 3rd level the Assistant Zookeeper has managed to somehow procure and animal of his very own. He can select any animal from the wizard familiar list and use it as an animal companion as if he was a druid. His effective druid level is two less than his Assistant Zookeeper level, although he may only select companions from the wizard familiar list unless he gets access to the druid companions from somewhere else.

Favored Enemy (Ex) At 4th level the Assistant Zookeeper gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of the Animal type.. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

Animal Defense (Ex) Any creature of the animal type making a d20 roll that opposes the Assistant Zookeeper must roll twice and take the lowest roll. This includes (but is not limited to), attack rolls, grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and skill rolls.

Hit Die
d6

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level): The Assistant Zookeeper’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).

Level
Lvl BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +0 +2 +0 +0 No sense of smell, Animal Handling.
2 +1 +3 +0 +0 Dodge Animal +2
3 +2 +3 +1 +1 Animal Companion
4 +3 +4 +1 +1 Dodge Animal +4, Favored Enemy
5 +3 +4 +1 +1 Animal Defense

XtheYeti
2007-04-19, 07:00 AM
as a dm i have to ask, what are some plot hooks or ways to use this?

Triaxx
2007-04-19, 10:41 AM
As a player, would his Druid level, and Zoo Keeper levels stack? This guy would be fantastic, if he were charging through a stinking cloud.

Vadin
2007-04-19, 02:56 PM
Craptastic? That actually looks...crapgood?

paigeoliver
2007-04-19, 03:33 PM
Yes, the druid levels would stack, that is why I gave them an effective druid level.

As a player, would his Druid level, and Zoo Keeper levels stack? This guy would be fantastic, if he were charging through a stinking cloud.

atomicmatt3
2007-04-19, 05:41 PM
I can't help but think that this is actually kinda good. Ranger without BAB and Druid without Spells... it's like the Warrior in relation to the Fighter.

Give it a different name and a different theme and you might have another Adept style class...

xD and his "No Sense of Smell" ability should be like a Paladin's immunity to fear, I think. Give his friends a +4 and have this guy charging through stinking clouds like it's nobody's business.

Triaxx
2007-04-19, 08:47 PM
Dodge Animal (Ex) The Assistant Zookeeper is well versed in the art of staying out of the way of hostile animals. He receives a +2 dodge bonus to armor class against all normal and dire animals at second level, at 4th level this bonus increases to +4.

This gives me the idea for a BullFighter class. This would actually be a good class to compliment the Druid. I know I'd take three or so levels here to get Dodge Animal, and the companion, if I wasn't already a druid.

Nebo_
2007-04-20, 02:12 AM
I'd actually give it a bonus to animal companion advancement, like a Beastmaster. This is actually a pretty cool class.

paigeoliver
2007-04-20, 02:31 AM
Well, this is supposed to be a craptastic class. There will also be a PC Zookeeper class which will be similar but better. I am writing a bunch of stuff for a setting book and I toss some of it up here for commentary before finalizing it.

I'd actually give it a bonus to animal companion advancement, like a Beastmaster. This is actually a pretty cool class.

Triaxx
2007-04-20, 08:41 AM
There will also be a PC Zookeeper class which will be similar but better.

I don't think there's any need for it, unless you make it a PrC. Something to add another five levels to this.

paigeoliver
2007-04-27, 05:28 AM
One note, to use this class as a base class in a normal campaign I suggest changing the BAB to full, the hit dice to d10 and giving them access to the normal animal companion list in addition to the familiar list.