PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Traditional Selkie (Fey) Monster

Stellar_Magic
2015-05-08, 01:43 PM
I was working on a campaign for pathfinder, focused around a town nestled around a river estuary. I wanted to use selkies, but found that the official pathfinder stats really didn't seem to capture their mythos that well. Looking at the 3.0 version from DnD made them a monstrous humanoid... but I think doing them this way as a fey creature is more accurate to their basic legend.

Selkie
A sleek figure clad in black seal-skin rises from the water, a webbed set of hands clasped around an underwater crossbow.

Selkie CR5

XP 1,600
CN medium fey (shapechanger, water)
Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +13

DEFENSE

AC 19, 19 touch, 15 flat footed (+5 deflection, +3 Dex, +1 dodge)
hp 45 (6d6+24)
Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +11
DR 5/cold iron; Resist cold 10

OFFENSE

Speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft.
Ranged masterwork heavy crossbow +7 (1d10, 19-20/x2)
Melee masterwork spear +6 (1d8+3, x3) or
Selkie Spell-Like Abilities (CL 6th)
Constant – speak with animals
At Will - charm animal (DC16), dancing lights
1/day - charm person (DC16), suggestion (DC18), water breathing

TACTICS

Before Combat a selkie prefers to avoid direct combat when possible. Often one will retreat into the water to escape the fury of any enemies she faces onshore. A selkie may also attempt to convince a number of local animal life to defend her, if given time to prepare.
During Combat a selkie will start combat by attempting to use her charm person spell-like ability to turn one of her would be adversaries into an ally or suggestion spell-like ability to coax the group of adversaries to stop fighting. If both fail, the selkie will engage at range with her heavy crossbow.
Morale a selkie, like most intelligent beings, will attempt to flee to her home if reduced to half her hit points. If surrounded she may surrender if fighting foes she foes likely to treat her with a semblance of honor, otherwise she will fight to the death in defense of her home.

STATISTICS

Str 14, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 21
Base Atk +3; CMB +6; CMD 22
Feats Agile Maneuvers, Iron Will, Dodge
Skills Diplomacy +14, Disguise +14, Knowledge (nature) +9, Perception +13, Stealth +12, Swim +11; Racial Modifiers +4 Perception.
Languages Aquan, Common, Sylvan
SQ change shape (seal, beast shape II), seal skin, unearthly grace
Combat Gear masterwork heavy crossbow (underwater), masterwork spear; Other Gear crossbow bolts (10), seal skin
Boon a Selkie may choose to assist the heroes by providing food (usually in the form of local fish or seafood) or shelter.

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Hold Breath (Ex):
A selkie can hold her breath for a number of minutes equal to 6x her constitution score before she risks drowning.
Seal Skin (Su):
Without her seal skin, a selkie can't use her change shape ability.
Unearthly Grace (Su):
A selkie adds her Charisma modifier as a racial bonus on all her saving throws, and as a deflection bonus to her Armor Class and CMD.
Wild Empathy (Su):
This works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except the selkie has a +6 racial bonus on the check. The selkie’s effective druid level is equal to her HD for determining her total modifier to the check.

ECOLOGY

Environment temperate coasts
Organization solitary, pair, rookery (3-24)
Treasure standard

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Maryuval
2016-12-10, 09:44 AM
What about adding Perform (song), and a bit of bardic music, to the best of my knowledge, selkies are known for their singing ability..
Otherwise this is great, I've been looking for a more traditional selkie.