PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Backstory help for a friend's superhero game?

MonkeySage
2015-05-08, 02:30 PM
Maria was the desperate wife of a dying man. She felt powerless in the face of his illness. Since everything she tried up to that point had failed, she started delving into the dark arts, and eventually drew the attention of a spirit by the name of Azael, who possessed her husband. Azael offered to resolve his illness, on the condition that she bear his child. She reluctantly agreed and they consumated their deal. 9 months later, Dario was born, and had many of his father's powers... but to the fallen angel's surprise, Dario refused to be a pawn in whatever game his father was playing, and instead became a force for good, albeit with questionable methods.

Kind of just a bare bones backstory, and I'm aware that it's not exactly original.

Keltest
2015-05-08, 02:51 PM
Ok, so the first question I have is, where do you need help? What about this is dissatisfying?

Other thoughts I have are what motivates Dario? Obviously he has some reason for doing good, so that's a good (pardon the pun) place to start. What sort of childhood have growing up as the spawn of a seemingly-evil spirit being? How did that affect his ability to interact with people? Did he even know until he got powers or whatever? Does he still not know?

MonkeySage
2015-05-08, 03:24 PM
Dario's *subtle* demonic characteristics(his tail and ears) have always made him a target around peer and adult alike, and he would have turned out to be a villain eventually with nothing to stop the barrage of torment. Sometime around the age of 10, he met another kid who thought they made him look cool. As he progressed through his teenage years he met even more people like that. He felt these people were worthy of protection, and it's around this time that his powers started to develop(super strength, flight, and limited reality warping). He didn't find out about his demonic heritage until he started going to school at age 14(he'd lived a very sheltered life before then, and was homeschooled). At age 18, he was contacted by Azael, who wanted to use him. As he learned more about his father's plans, he felt that they were in conflict with his own desire to protect his friends.

Keltest
2015-05-08, 03:31 PM
Dario's subtle demonic characteristics(his tail and ears) have always made him a target around peer and adult alike, and he would have turned out to be a villain eventually with nothing to stop the barrage of torment. Sometime around the age of 10, he met another kid who thought they made him look cool. As he progressed through his teenage years he met even more people like that. He felt these people were worthy of protection, and it's around this time that his powers started to develop(super strength, flight, and limited reality warping). He didn't find out about his demonic heritage until he started going to school at age 14(he'd lived a very sheltered life before then, and was homeschooled). At age 18, he was contacted by Azael, who wanted to use him. As he learned more about his father's plans, he felt that they were in conflict with his own desire to protect his friends.

So he's a basically nice guy who happens to have a high enough charisma that some people got to see that part of him.

Hrm, I dunno. That sounds more like a Neutral character to me.

It sounds to me like he needs a mentor figure. Someone to guide him through the difficult parts where people are scared of him and try and hurt him. At the very least, someone to restrain him, because I know at age 14, I would absolutely not be a paragon of good in that environment.

Honest Tiefling
2015-05-08, 04:05 PM
I gotta ask, what happened to his parents? Presumably he was not raised by Azael, but the two humans. What effect did it have on him that his mother dabbled in the dark arts? After hubby presumably got back up, would she have stopped?

What is the relationship between these kids and Dario? What are his hobbies and interests? We're Amy of there kids into that new fangled dark magic, which is why they found Dario interesting? Does he know of his origins? How did he react to it?

Did something traumatic happen to Dario when younger to show him that he should protect everyone? Or perhaps, he starts off as neutral? Dario could be youngish, and perhaps idolizes another party member? That party member could take the role of mentor instead. Perhas they showed him the ropes, or is moderately well known to the public.

MonkeySage
2015-05-08, 05:09 PM
I did mean for him to be more of an anti-hero at first, his heroism stemming both from an I'll-show-you attitude towards Azael, and from a desire to protect the people who were nice to him. He's still a cambion, and as such some of his methods can be questionable at times, but he takes great pains to avoid killing. He does need a mentor to give him a push to genuine heroism.

Once he started going to school, his mother encouraged him to tuck his tail under his shirt, which he did.

Not actually sure yet what happened with his parents. I think it's possible Dario's human father(the guy who played sock puppet for Azael) was completely unaware of his wife's actions, attributed his recovery to a miracle, and thought that Dario's physical abnormalities were just some bizarre birth defect. Maria probably only uses what she learned to protect their home, probably from Azael.

The people in this setting do not generally believe in magic, but I suppose they're used to superheros running around. His human friends would have mostly noticed his ears (tail tucked under his shirt). They probably thought the ears were cool looking, but not a sign of demonic heritage.

Dario would have avoided sports, since changing rooms would have exposed his tail, instead he plays games.

He's known about his demon father since he started going to school, and he didn't react very well to it. He grew up to name calling, got called things like monster, and then his mother tells him that he really is a monster.