PDA

View Full Version : Complete List of 3.x Wizard Spells (Last updated 11/06/2015)

Pippin
2015-05-08, 02:59 PM
Hello playground,

Several years ago I attempted to make a list of all the spells Wizards could theoretically have access to. Due to my being away from D&D for a long time, I have only finished it now. It is true that there were already other lists available on the Internet, and I didn't really have to make one myself. The thing is, even if all the lists I found were comprehensive (I suppose), they were not quite nice looking. I wanted a list that would be both nice looking and comprehensive (in terms of schools, source, casting time, components and subschools). I didn't need full descriptions, just the name of the spell and its flavor text. (So hopefully it should be allowed on these boards.)

So it took me quite some time but eventually, I made it. To make that list, I started with the latest 3.5 books and progressively went back to the earliest 3.0 books. That way, I added the latest revision of each spell and disregarded all previous ones, if any. Whenever I added a spell to the list, I made sure to specify the book it comes from. Some books have had all their spells later revised, and were not used at all as a result. This includes:

2003/10 Underdark (Und)
2003/11 Draconomicon (Dr)
2004/02 Unearthed Arcana (UA)
2004/05 Complete Divine (CD)
2004/11 Complete Arcane (CAr)
2005/01 Complete Adventurer (CAd)

While completing the list, I sometimes had to guess whether two similar spells were the same one (one being the revision of the other), despite WotC never mentioning the revision. The following spells have not been added, due to their possible revision (which were all added):

Returning Weapon -> Hurl
Mindrape -> Programmed Amnesia (edit: both added)
Improved Blink -> Greater Blink
Speed Swim -> Swim
Gedlee’s Electric Loop -> Electric Loop
Antimagic Aura -> Antimagic Ray (edit: both added)
Zajimarn’s Field of Icy Razors -> Field of Icy Razors
Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt -> Dimensional Jumper (edit: both added)
Lower Spell Resistance -> Spell Vulnerability

Although this is my list, this is certainly debatable. If someone argues that I made the wrong call for X or Y spell, I can certainly add it.

Some spells belong to two separate schools, and as a result have been added twice, once in each school sub-list. Here is a list of all those spells:

Dragon Magic/
Burst of Glacial Wrath
Ferocity of Sanguine Rage
Firestride Exhalation
Lord of the Sky
Passage of the Shifting Sands
Rot of Ages
Vision of the Omniscient Eye
Wingblast

Player's Handbook II/
Doom of Scarabs
Kelgore's Fire Bolt
Kelgore's Grave Mist
Slashing Dispel

I found ~140 spells from the 3.0e that, I believe, have never been revised for the 3.5e, so I added them all to the list. However, there were two spells that I didn't add for the reason that, even if they had never been revised indeed, their effects seemed either outdated or too good compared to other 3.5 spells. These spells were Augment Object (too good, from Stronghold Builder's Guidebook) and Energy Buffer (too old, from Tome and Blood). Again, this is certainly debatable and I can add them. (edit: both added)

Okay. Now I would need you to:

point out any incorrect detail you find.
correct any mistake I made.
suggest other good ideas.

You probably noticed that my English isn't native level, I'm French, so I'm sure there are weird things in the preamble. I would very much appreciate any correction. (If you could just specify when you do whether the grammar is wrong, or if the sentence just sounds awkward to native ears, that would be awesome!) There's no need to check the figures, a program I made verified them for me.

Important note: this list doesn't include Pathfinder spells, though.

The spell list can be found HERE (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-mkM5ujdNocHlCSTZ4UUpOQmc/view?usp=sharing). Thank you!

paranoidbox
2015-05-08, 03:25 PM
This is a very small thing, but unlike in French, the English language doesn't insert a space before a colon. So instead of "Some figures :" you should say "Some figures:".

I didn't notice anything too weird otherwise, so good job! Granted, I'm a bit tired and I might not be reading too well tonight, so maybe someone else will have another note for you.

Pippin
2015-05-08, 06:12 PM
This is a very small thing, but unlike in French, the English language doesn't insert a space before a colon. So instead of "Some figures :" you should say "Some figures:".

I didn't notice anything too weird otherwise, so good job! Granted, I'm a bit tired and I might not be reading too well tonight, so maybe someone else will have another note for you.
Thank you. I will update that and add a table of contents.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-05-08, 06:23 PM
Mindrape and Programmed Amnesia should both be on there. There is one huge mechanical difference and a critical change of descriptor. Programmed Amnesia is less of an update and more of a non-evil alternative.

This is a very good list, thank you.

annulus
2015-05-08, 06:24 PM
Just popping in to say that I really appreciate what you've done.

Pippin
2015-05-08, 06:45 PM
Mindrape and Programmed Amnesia should both be on there. There is one huge mechanical difference and a critical change of descriptor. Programmed Amnesia is less of an update and more of a non-evil alternative.

This is a very good list, thank you.
Alright unless someone objects to this, I will add mindrape in the next version.

Thank you.

Just popping in to say that I really appreciate what you've done.
Thank you :smallsmile:

annulus
2015-05-08, 07:00 PM
Out of curiosity, was this done in LaTeX?

Thurbane
2015-05-08, 07:58 PM
Excellent work, thanks very much!

Very relevant to these two threads, I think:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414068-if-we-scribe-every-wizard-spell
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414102-A-level-in-wizard-for-2-000-gp

MindArkantos
2015-05-08, 08:58 PM
I think for the sake of completion you should include Augment Object and Energy Buffer on the list.

Pippin
2015-05-09, 04:17 AM
Absolutely! I can't imagine using Word and friends.

Thank you!

I think for the sake of completion you should include Augment Object and Energy Buffer on the list.
Alright I will add them.

paranoidbox
2015-05-09, 06:44 AM
Let us know when you've updated, I would like the completed list :smallsmile:

Uncle Pine
2015-05-09, 07:42 AM
Great work! I was just thinking to post and ask if someone knew about a list like this and BAM, I see your post. You're a saviour!

I feel like Antimagic Aura, Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt and Lower Spell Resistance should be added to the list: Antimagic Aura has different targeting mechanics, material component and partially effect (i.e. it also affects the target's magic items) from Antimagic Ray; Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt has different range, duration and effect (you can't act after teleporting with Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt because it works like dimension door) from Dimension Jumper and it's from a different school; Lower Spell Resistance is a completely different spell from Vulnerability (funny enough, they were both present in Draconomicon and only Vulnerability was updated in Spell Compendium).

Will you add spells from Dragon Magazine/Compendium?

Pippin
2015-05-09, 01:05 PM
Great work! I was just thinking to post and ask if someone knew about a list like this and BAM, I see your post. You're a saviour!

I feel like Antimagic Aura, Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt and Lower Spell Resistance should be added to the list: Antimagic Aura has different targeting mechanics, material component and partially effect (i.e. it also affects the target's magic items) from Antimagic Ray; Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt has different range, duration and effect (you can't act after teleporting with Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt because it works like dimension door) from Dimension Jumper and it's from a different school; Lower Spell Resistance is a completely different spell from Vulnerability (funny enough, they were both present in Draconomicon and only Vulnerability was updated in Spell Compendium).

Will you add spells from Dragon Magazine/Compendium?
Thank you!

I've just added Antimagic Aura and Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt. You are confusing Vulnerability with Spell Vulnerability, which are two different, separate spells.

Edit: I won't list spells from magazines, and, as far as I know, there's no wizard spells in Dragon Compendium. I believe this list is quite finished now, I'd rather correct nitpicks from now on. If someone finds a spell that I've never seen, I'd be more than happy to add it though.

Let us know when you've updated, I would like the completed list :smallsmile:
I just updated it and changed the link.

Chronos
2015-05-09, 03:55 PM
The Spell Compendium, on pages 5 and 6, has an official list of spells that were renamed when they were included in that book. None of the spells you left off is on that list, so if the presumed-update is from Spell Compendium, then both are still valid.

Pippin
2015-05-09, 05:47 PM
The Spell Compendium, on pages 5 and 6, has an official list of spells that were renamed when they were included in that book. None of the spells you left off is on that list, so if the presumed-update is from Spell Compendium, then both are still valid.
I'm aware, I've used that list many times. I still think it isn't quite complete, and Lower Spell Resistance -> Spell Vulnerability is probably the most blatant omission.

Chronos
2015-05-09, 06:47 PM
It might not be complete in practice, but it's officially complete. Which means that the spells not on that list are officially still valid, even if they probably shouldn't be.

Rakoa
2015-05-09, 08:19 PM
A great list. I congratulate you on your assemblage.

Pippin
2015-05-13, 06:31 AM
A great list. I congratulate you on your assemblage.

As Hide Life is being mentioned in other threads, I realized I somehow omitted to list it while browsing Tome and Blood. This has been corrected now.

GilesTheCleric
2015-05-13, 06:42 AM
I'd like to also say thank you for your contribution to the gaming community.

I've finally opened up the list, and wow, it does look pretty. As a cleric player, I'm sad that it's wizards-only, but it's still a list I can use.

Do you have this list in a spreadsheet format, or is it able to be converted to one? Being able to filter and rearrange lists like this is something I enjoy. Further, if it's in a spreadsheet format, you can likely more efficiently compare it against two other (offline) sources that I have if you'd like to check for completeness.

Edit: One other thing -- you haven't included your screen name/name in the document! I'd like to be able to share this with others and make it easy for them to know who made it.

Pippin
2015-05-13, 07:03 AM
I'd like to also say thank you for your contribution to the gaming community.

I've finally opened up the list, and wow, it does look pretty. As a cleric player, I'm sad that it's wizards-only, but it's still a list I can use.

Do you have this list in a spreadsheet format, or is it able to be converted to one? Being able to filter and rearrange lists like this is something I enjoy. Further, if it's in a spreadsheet format, you can likely more efficiently compare it against two other (offline) sources that I have if you'd like to check for completeness.

Edit: One other thing -- you haven't included your screen name/name in the document! I'd like to be able to share this with others and make it easy for them to know who made it.
This has been redacted via LaTeX. I can certainly provide the original .tex file, but unfortunately I have no spreadsheets :smallmad:

I purposely didn't include my nickname in the document, I like it anonymous. If the people you shared this with ask where you found it: just give them the link of this thread.

If you somehow manage to compare this list with other lists you have, feel free to show the results and point out the spells I missed! Thanks :smallsmile:

VisitingDaGulag
2015-05-16, 05:23 PM
dead link redirection

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-16, 05:31 PM
dead link redirection

Yeah. OP's link must have timed out. Anyone got a copy they can reupload to a permanent host?

Pippin
2015-05-16, 05:37 PM
Yeah. OP's link must have timed out. Anyone got a copy they can reupload to a permanent host?
No need, I've just put it on Google Drive :smallsmile:

dextercorvia
2015-05-16, 08:43 PM
This looks awesome!

Pluto!
2015-05-16, 08:49 PM
Have you seen CantripN's Spellbook on minmaxboards?

Similar project; comparing might help find any holes that either of you have.

Pippin
2015-05-17, 02:45 PM
Have you seen CantripN's Spellbook on minmaxboards?

Similar project; comparing might help find any holes that either of you have.
I once saw it but I've no idea where to find it again. It was something much broader right? Like the entire list of all spells from all classes?

Pluto!
2015-05-17, 04:21 PM
It's the Spells link here. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11953.msg204497#msg204497)

Yeah. It had a lot of goals and kind of suffered as a map due to being bigger than its territory, but it included a complete class spell list section.

darksolitaire
2015-05-17, 04:42 PM
My munchkin optimizer senses were triggered immediately when I noticed you didn't have Arcane Bolt (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030504x) listed. So, do you have any plans for spells appearing on WotC Web Enchantments?

Pippin
2015-05-18, 06:46 AM
It's the Spells link here. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11953.msg204497#msg204497)

Yeah. It had a lot of goals and kind of suffered as a map due to being bigger than its territory, but it included a complete class spell list section.
Thanks. I will take the time to compare both lists soon.

My munchkin optimizer senses were triggered immediately when I noticed you didn't have Arcane Bolt (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030504x) listed. So, do you have any plans for spells appearing on WotC Web Enchantments?
I should add them, the only things I don't add are things from magazines and Pathfinder. But would you know what web enhancement each spell comes from?

For example, I'm willing to add Animate Dead Familiar but I don't know what book should be related to it.

Metahuman1
2015-05-18, 07:09 AM
I don't suppose there's any chance you've done (Or know of.) a similar list for Divine Spells, do you? You know, for the aspiring Archivists out there?

Pippin
2015-05-18, 07:23 AM
I don't suppose there's any chance you've done (Or know of.) a similar list for Divine Spells, do you? You know, for the aspiring Archivists out there?
Unfortunately no, I don't plan on doing one anytime soon. I've done one for wizards mainly because that's the class I'm most comfortable with, and also because that's the one class that most people would (arguably) claim to be the most powerful / the cheesiest / the best.

General Sajaru
2015-05-18, 03:41 PM
I've put together a list of all spells from the 3.0 and 3.5 books I have, but I'd have to do a bit of conversion to make it internet compatible, and it doesn't have any spells from FR or Ebberon yet.

Pippin
2015-05-18, 07:56 PM
To my horrible surprise, I noticed that there were actual 3.5e books for Dragonlance. So far the list I made only had spells from Dragonlance Campaign Setting, and I just realized that Legends of the Twins also existed... so I now have to add its spells as well.

If anyone knows other Dragonlance books (or any other 3.0e/3.5e book containing spells that I didn't list), I would very much appreciate their mentioning it. Until now I've used dndtools and this list of 3.0e/3.5e books (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/1138/how-do-you-tell-if-a-dd-book-is-3-0-or-3-5) to search spells, and I really didn't expect that other books could be omitted.

So, anyone know where I can find a list of all Dragonlance books?

dextercorvia
2015-05-18, 08:07 PM
To my horrible surprise, I noticed that there were actual 3.5e books for Dragonlance. So far the list I made only had spells from Dragonlance Campaign Setting, and I just realized that Legends of the Twins also existed... so I now have to add its spells as well.

If anyone knows other Dragonlance books (or any other 3.0e/3.5e book containing spells that I didn't list), I would very much appreciate their mentioning it. Until now I've used dndtools and this list of 3.0e/3.5e books (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/1138/how-do-you-tell-if-a-dd-book-is-3-0-or-3-5) to search spells, and I really didn't expect that other books could be omitted.

So, anyone know where I can find a list of all Dragonlance books?

As far as I know, DLCS is the only Dragonlance book that is 1st party.

DrMartin
2015-05-19, 01:11 AM

That really depends if you want to include also books not from the wizards that live by the coast, or approved by them...but i have a feeling it would be really painful and frustrating to go down that road :D

on the other hand, here's the list (stand as of yesterday) in spreadsheet format

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D1K6LVV608YbK3hDETISAWzlPA7S_c2d0C00h3x1fyk/edit?usp=sharing

the conversion from the pdf was semi-automatic so there may be some hiccups (in that case a comment next to the mistakes is appreciated :) )

DrMartin
2015-05-19, 01:13 AM

Very relevant to these two threads, I think:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414068-if-we-scribe-every-wizard-spell
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414102-A-level-in-wizard-for-2-000-gp

and to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415784-Wizard-vs-Sorcerer-thread-II-My-Thread-Has-No-Defense) as well...now at least the wizard builds will have a competition-legal spellbook instead of just a line with "all the spells" :D

Sheogoroth
2015-05-19, 01:21 AM
This is glorious and you are wonderful.

Pippin
2015-05-19, 06:25 AM
As far as I know, DLCS is the only Dragonlance book that is 1st party.
Right. Would there be any reason to not add spells from magazines if I choose to add those from Dragonlance books? If they are roughly equivalent then I probably shouldn't. Edit: It seems that Dragonlance supplements are even less legitimate than Dragon magazines, so I'm going to skip the whole thing. Phew!

This is glorious and you are wonderful.
Thank you that is very much appreciated.

paranoidbox
2015-05-19, 03:27 PM
One thing I stumbled upon: Deflect (2nd level) is not in its proper alphabetized place. Minor detail again, but I figured you'd like to rectify it.

Chronos
2015-05-19, 03:39 PM
Really, is there any benefit to your spellbook containing "all the spells" instead of a specific list? If you don't put a spell on your list because you're not familiar with it, then you're also not going to ever bother preparing or casting it, for the same reason. And if you never prepare or cast a spell, then it does you no good being in your spellbook. OK, you might learn of the spell later, but in that case, it's not too hard to add it to your book then (especially not if you're using the sort of TO tricks that let you write down "all the spells" in the first place).

Pippin
2015-05-19, 03:53 PM
Really, is there any benefit to your spellbook containing "all the spells" instead of a specific list? If you don't put a spell on your list because you're not familiar with it, then you're also not going to ever bother preparing or casting it, for the same reason. And if you never prepare or cast a spell, then it does you no good being in your spellbook. OK, you might learn of the spell later, but in that case, it's not too hard to add it to your book then (especially not if you're using the sort of TO tricks that let you write down "all the spells" in the first place).
I might not have understood your post completely, but if that helps, I merely created the list to get an overview of all the spells available at each level and school. Also why sound so grumpy?

One thing I stumbled upon: Deflect (2nd level) is not in its proper alphabetized place. Minor detail again, but I figured you'd like to rectify it.
Thanks! That's a minor thing but that's exactly what I want to know. If you noticed other things, by all means tell me!

I will change the link in the OP later tonight / tomorrow.

Chronos
2015-05-19, 07:14 PM
That wasn't directed at you, and it wasn't meant to be grumpy. My point was just that, even if a hypothetical Tippy-TO wizard uses tricks to get literally all the spells into their book, in practice their book is still going to be limited to those that the player is familiar with. So plopping down this entire massive list into the character sheet wouldn't by itself do any good.

Which is not to say that lists like this aren't useful: If nothing else, they can help a player to become familiar with spells they didn't know of before (and they can do that even without Tippy-TO level tricks).

Pippin
2015-05-20, 02:44 PM
I've updated the document! I added the few Web Enhancement spells that were not already in it, and for that I had to make a new symbol (W). I sorted these spells in the 3.5e category, though I'm not quite sure.

I also added Transference, which was a spell hidden in the web enhancement of Player Handbook II. And some minor modifications.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to find the time to make one, what format would you prefer?

Format 1, with A (cleric spells), B (domain spells) and C (other divine spells). Sample (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-mkM5ujdNoaXhzV1BmTnlhNUU/view?usp=sharing)
Format 2, same as Format 1, but with Greek letters: Xi (cleric), Sigma (domain) and Omega (other). Sample (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-mkM5ujdNocDBQUDdQRFVuNkk/view?usp=sharing)

(The spells are absolutely random with inaccurate details.) Format 2 might be considered prettier, though not as clear as Format 1.

Or maybe you have something else in mind?

Metahuman1
2015-05-20, 07:12 PM
I've updated the document! I added the few Web Enhancement spells that were not already in it, and for that I had to make a new symbol (W). I sorted these spells in the 3.5e category, though I'm not quite sure.

I also added Transference, which was a spell hidden in the web enhancement of Player Handbook II. And some minor modifications.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to find the time to make one, what format would you prefer?

Format 1, with A (cleric spells), B (domain spells) and C (other divine spells). Sample (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-mkM5ujdNoaXhzV1BmTnlhNUU/view?usp=sharing)
Format 2, same as Format 1, but with Greek letters: Xi (cleric), Sigma (domain) and Omega (other). Sample (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-mkM5ujdNocDBQUDdQRFVuNkk/view?usp=sharing)

(The spells are absolutely random with inaccurate details.) Format 2 might be considered prettier, though not as clear as Format 1.

Or maybe you have something else in mind?

The first one looks good. Though it would also be helpful to notate "From this classes spell list(s) at this/these levels, respectively, and from this/these books, respectively."

Makes it MUCH easier for someone to look them up that way. Say for example when the DM just wants to do a quick double check that your correct, which is far from uncommon.

danzibr
2015-05-20, 07:28 PM
What a beautiful PDF!

Absolutely! I can't imagine using Word and friends.
And not just because it was made in LaTeX. Ahh, what a resource...

GilesTheCleric
2015-05-21, 04:07 AM

I think the greek letters are sexier; if you're planning to go with roman letters, then perhaps making them more 1:1 (ie C for cleric spells, D for domain spells, and E for everything else that's divine at the lowest level it's available at) would make it easier to parse for those who don't use the list as frequently?

If you're planning on making a list that explicitly includes cleric spells by level, let me know what I can do to help. I'm not at all invested in such a thing and am in no way biased towards clerics.

Fuglen
2015-05-21, 05:02 AM
Just popping in to say this is BEAUTIFUL! I think I am going to have to print this out at some point.

Thanks for the wonderful work! :smallbiggrin:

Pippin
2015-05-21, 05:06 AM
The first one looks good. Though it would also be helpful to notate "From this classes spell list(s) at this/these levels, respectively, and from this/these books, respectively."

Makes it MUCH easier for someone to look them up that way. Say for example when the DM just wants to do a quick double check that your correct, which is far from uncommon.
Hmm, okay, two things:

I wouldn't be able to add that much information in only 1 line per spell, so after the list I would make a section dealing with domains and their sources. And possibly other classes and their sources.
I'd still want this list to be a divine spell list. So I would list all cleric, domain and non-cleric divine spells, but I wouldn't add things like Divine Bard spells. The list would be too hybrid.

What a beautiful PDF!

And not just because it was made in LaTeX. Ahh, what a resource...
Thank you.

I think the greek letters are sexier; if you're planning to go with roman letters, then perhaps making them more 1:1 (ie C for cleric spells, D for domain spells, and E for everything else that's divine at the lowest level it's available at) would make it easier to parse for those who don't use the list as frequently?

If you're planning on making a list that explicitly includes cleric spells by level, let me know what I can do to help. I'm not at all invested in such a thing and am in no way biased towards clerics.
I think the Greek letters are sexier too, so I would probably make two versions. CDE rather than ABC seems fine. Still, a non-cleric divine spell available at a lower level than the same cleric/domain spell, would be listed as a non-cleric divine spell I suppose.

jiriku
2015-06-04, 12:41 PM
Pippin! You have created an amazing resource! This is WONDERFUL. Manifique! Merci, merci, merci, merci, merci beaucoup! THANK YOU for sharing this with the community. People like you are one of the reasons this hobby is such a joy to me.

paranoidbox
2015-06-04, 03:37 PM
Hi, I see that you recently made an update to your OP.

I also came across these two mistakes in the level 2 spells:
- Ashstar is misspelled as Ashtar.
- Numbing Sphere is misspelled as Numbling Sphere.

That is all for now.

Endarire
2015-06-04, 09:10 PM
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11953.0)

Pippin
2015-06-05, 07:30 AM
Pippin! You have created an amazing resource! This is WONDERFUL. Manifique! Merci, merci, merci, merci, merci beaucoup! THANK YOU for sharing this with the community. People like you are one of the reasons this hobby is such a joy to me.
You are welcome.

Hi, I see that you recently made an update to your OP.

I also came across these two mistakes in the level 2 spells:
- Ashstar is misspelled as Ashtar.
- Numbing Sphere is misspelled as Numbling Sphere.

That is all for now.
These have been corrected for the next update. Feel free to point out other things.

Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11953.0)
Read the OP. It Saves Lives.

jiriku
2015-06-05, 12:51 PM
I continue to be blown away at how massively awesome this resource is. I have already discovered dozens of spells that I never knew about.

I am modifying the spreadsheet version of this list to include page numbers. While going through the list I noticed that you are missing continual flame, sorcerer/wizard 2, evocation [light], Player's Handbook. I'll tack on any other missing spells I should catch, as I find them.

Edit: planar binding and lesser planar binding are incorrectly given a casting time of 1 standard action. The correct casting time is more than 1 round. The statue spell is incorrectly given a casting time of more than 1 round. The correct casting time is 1 round.

Edit: tactical teleportation is misspelled as "tactical teleporation".

Edit: Fiendish clarity is misspelled as "fiendish charity". I believe that lutzaen's frequent jaunt was replaced by greater dimension door -- although Spell Compendium doesn't call it out as a replacement, the two spells appear to be exact duplicates. The list includes a spell called "precipitate breach, greater", but the correct name for this spell is precipitate complete breach.

Edit: The spell binding chain of fate is misspelled as "binding chain of faith".

Scheming Wizard
2015-06-05, 07:20 PM
Wow this is a super useful resource. Thanks for making it.

137beth
2015-06-06, 12:42 AM
Wow, this is really helpful. I'm afraid I don't have anything constructive to add, beyond "thank you!"

jiriku
2015-06-10, 03:40 PM
It is finished! Here is a copy of Pippin's excellent resource, in Microsoft Excel format (http://1drv.ms/1L1TJNt), with page numbers added for each spell. The list is sortable and filterable so if, for example, you want to look at all 3rd level spells from the schools of Conjuration and Transmutation, it is very easy to do so.

Pippin, I have a few more bugs to report for you:

The spell arcane seal from Sharn City of Towers is missing.

The following spells were most recently printed in Spell Compendium and were stripped from the sorcerer/wizard spell list with that printing. I recommend they be removed from the list of sorcerer/wizard spells.
blindsight, greater blindsight (a.k.a improved blindsight), burrow, cloud wings, lion's charge, mass burrow, rapid burrowing

The following spells were most recently printed in Spell Compendium, but the name was changed and the table at the beginning of SC fails to identify them as reprinted spells.
burning blood (formerly belteyn's burning blood), awaken construct (formerly incarnate construct), dark way (formerly bridge of sound), superior invisibility (formerly stalking spell)

Almost all of the spells associated with Player's Guide to Faerun were listed in the spell index of PGtF but not actually reprinted in that book. As such their most recent printing is in the previous source, not in PGtF. They are as follows:

Unapproachable East: abolish shadows, bladebane, superior darkvision, decastave, ghorus toth's magnetism, ilyykur's mantle, sinsabur's baleful bolt, snilloc's snowball, watchware
Magic of Faerun: blackstaff, know protections, mass teleport
Races of Faerun: detect metal and minerals, plague carrier, shape metal, spore cloak
Lords of Darkness: devastate undead, shadow canopy, lesser shadow tentacle, greater shadow tentacle
Underdark: changestones, mineralize warrior, portal view, stasis clone, stone metamorphosis, greater stone metamorphosis
Monsters of Faerun: create chosen one, create darkenbeast

Two spells are incorrectly attributed to Player's Guide to Faerun when they actually appear in Player's Guide to Eberron:
price of loyalty, sentinel's watch

These corrections will have the effect of removing Player's Guide to Faerun and Savage Species entirely from your list of sources.

Pippin
2015-06-11, 11:49 AM
I continue to be blown away at how massively awesome this resource is. I have already discovered dozens of spells that I never knew about.

I am modifying the spreadsheet version of this list to include page numbers. While going through the list I noticed that you are missing continual flame, sorcerer/wizard 2, evocation [light], Player's Handbook. I'll tack on any other missing spells I should catch, as I find them.

Edit: planar binding and lesser planar binding are incorrectly given a casting time of 1 standard action. The correct casting time is more than 1 round. The statue spell is incorrectly given a casting time of more than 1 round. The correct casting time is 1 round.

Edit: tactical teleportation is misspelled as "tactical teleporation".

Edit: Fiendish clarity is misspelled as "fiendish charity". I believe that lutzaen's frequent jaunt was replaced by greater dimension door -- although Spell Compendium doesn't call it out as a replacement, the two spells appear to be exact duplicates. The list includes a spell called "precipitate breach, greater", but the correct name for this spell is precipitate complete breach.

Edit: The spell binding chain of fate is misspelled as "binding chain of faith".

It is finished! Here is a copy of Pippin's excellent resource, in Microsoft Excel format (http://1drv.ms/1L1TJNt), with page numbers added for each spell. The list is sortable and filterable so if, for example, you want to look at all 3rd level spells from the schools of Conjuration and Transmutation, it is very easy to do so.

Pippin, I have a few more bugs to report for you:

The spell arcane seal from Sharn City of Towers is missing.

The following spells were most recently printed in Spell Compendium and were stripped from the sorcerer/wizard spell list with that printing. I recommend they be removed from the list of sorcerer/wizard spells.
blindsight, greater blindsight (a.k.a improved blindsight), burrow, cloud wings, lion's charge, mass burrow, rapid burrowing

The following spells were most recently printed in Spell Compendium, but the name was changed and the table at the beginning of SC fails to identify them as reprinted spells.
burning blood (formerly belteyn's burning blood), awaken construct (formerly incarnate construct), dark way (formerly bridge of sound), superior invisibility (formerly stalking spell)

Almost all of the spells associated with Player's Guide to Faerun were listed in the spell index of PGtF but not actually reprinted in that book. As such their most recent printing is in the previous source, not in PGtF. They are as follows:

Unapproachable East: abolish shadows, bladebane, superior darkvision, decastave, ghorus toth's magnetism, ilyykur's mantle, sinsabur's baleful bolt, snilloc's snowball, watchware
Magic of Faerun: blackstaff, know protections, mass teleport
Races of Faerun: detect metal and minerals, plague carrier, shape metal, spore cloak
Lords of Darkness: devastate undead, shadow canopy, lesser shadow tentacle, greater shadow tentacle
Underdark: changestones, mineralize warrior, portal view, stasis clone, stone metamorphosis, greater stone metamorphosis
Monsters of Faerun: create chosen one, create darkenbeast

Two spells are incorrectly attributed to Player's Guide to Faerun when they actually appear in Player's Guide to Eberron:
price of loyalty, sentinel's watch

These corrections will have the effect of removing Player's Guide to Faerun and Savage Species entirely from your list of sources.
Hats off to you for finding that many typos.

So I made an update:

Ashstar, Numbing Sphere, Tactical Teleportation, Fiendish Clarity, Binding Chain of Fate and Precipitate Complete Breach now have their correct names
Statue and Planar Binding spells now have their correct casting time
Arcane Seal and Continual Flame have been added
Blindsight, Improved Blindsight, Burrow, Cloud Wings, Mass Burrow, Rapid Burrowing and Lion's Charge have been removed
Belteyn's Burning Blood, Bridge of Sound and Stalking Spell have been removed
Incarnate Construct and Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt are still on the list (the first one is different than Awaken Construct which was already in Savage Species, the second one should most probably be removed but it has a different Range and people argued it should be listed)

Now: I'm aware of the Player's Guide to Faerun thing, but the fact that this book mentioned the spells you listed is very important because it made them official 3.5 material de facto. That's the reason why they are all associated with PGF. Also, I'm not quite sure why you said Price of Loyalty and Sentinel's Watch were attributed to PGF. They were attributed to PGE already and I didn't have to fix it.

Thank you again for taking the time to check this file!

Wow this is a super useful resource. Thanks for making it.

Wow, this is really helpful. I'm afraid I don't have anything constructive to add, beyond "thank you!"
You guys are welcome :smallsmile:

jiriku
2015-06-13, 04:08 AM
You also seem to be missing chain contingency, from Tome and Blood.

Edit: The descriptive text for shadow radiance has been overwritten with the text for shadow spray. Evard's menacing tentacles is misspelled as evrard's menacing tentacles.

Edit: Steelsting is misspelled as steelsing.

Pippin
2015-08-06, 05:53 PM
You also seem to be missing chain contingency, from Tome and Blood.

Edit: The descriptive text for shadow radiance has been overwritten with the text for shadow spray. Evard's menacing tentacles is misspelled as evrard's menacing tentacles.

Edit: Steelsting is misspelled as steelsing.
Thanks a lot, you're awesome! I have no idea how I managed to miss Chain Contingency. I've also added Teleport Through Time, from web enhancement.

Shadow Radiance and Evard's Menacing Tentacles have been fixed. However Steelsting was already correct, are you sure you didn't mistake it for another name?

Anyway, the OP has been updated.

Pippin
2019-02-10, 12:45 PM
True Resurrection on this thread.

Hi there,

I've been away for some time and today I was thinking about re-working this list a bit. One problem is that I labeled all Web Enhancement spells as 3.5e spells, whereas that might not be true for all spells. So I thought, maybe I should browse each and every 3.5e archive (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/2000), one article at a time, from 2000 to 2009, and re-label all spells published before July 2003 as 3.0e spells.

1. Do you agree with the July 2003 threshold?
2. Is it possible that I could be missing out spells, or are we sure that all Web Enhancement spells can be found in the link above?

Endarire
2019-02-10, 11:32 PM
Pippin: Do you mean web enhancement or web article? These are separate terms. Certain books got downloadable PDF web enhancements, but inherently web articles differ.

Pippin
2019-02-11, 12:26 AM
Pippin: Do you mean web enhancement or web article? These are separate terms. Certain books got downloadable PDF web enhancements, but inherently web articles differ.
Hi Endarire, I think I meant Web Articles then. What exactly do you mean, they differ?