PDA

View Full Version : [Prc] Clockwork Virtuoso

paigeoliver
2007-04-19, 05:51 AM
Ok, I am still working on this class. I have the text part of the class done, but what I haven't done yet is the section on clockwork robots. I am aware of the similarity of this class to the Effigy Master. I wanted another robot building class that made NON-MAGICAL robots, and wasn't quite so open to abuse. I played an effigy master all the way through the class, and it was just too good.

I would like some feedback and ideas for the clockwork robot section itself. I don't want to make clockwork robot a template, but I would rather the clockwork robot be it's own type of creature like animated objects are, but I would like them to have a wide variety of abilities that can be added to the basic creature.

“Robots are better than people in almost every way, although you should never let them do your shopping, that is one mistake I am never making again.”

Vincent Alexander - Clockwork Virtuoso
Looking into a pantry filled to the
brim with lard and donkey feed.

“Karen did the shopping.”

Karen - Clockwork Halfling

Clockwork Virtuoso

The Clockwork Virtuoso is a tinkered who builds clockwork creatures and breathes into them a semblance of life.

Adventures: Many Clockwork Virtuosos go adventuring in order to finance their projects and so they can test the skills and limits of their creations.

Characteristics: If there is one common characteristic that most characters with this class share it is simple creepiness and a detachment from humanity.

Alignment: The Clockwork Virtuoso can be of any alignment at all. They all have their own reason for building artificial creatures. Some wish to build a perfect mate, others want to help mankind with tireless laborers and guardians, while others want to conquer the world with robotic apes.

Religion: Members of this class do not tend to be overly religious, they often have a lot of trouble relating with real live people and can’t even begin to have a normal spiritual life.

Other Classes: Most other character classes view the Clockwork Virtuoso as creepy, but very useful, particularly when his creations come in handy.

Abilities: The Clockwork Virtuoso is best served by a high intelligence score in order to better make those crucial craft checks. Most of them have an astonishingly low charisma.

Becoming a Clockwork Virtuoso

Every class other than Monk can qualify for Clockwork Virtuoso by 6th level. Most who take the class tend to enter it through rogue, wizard or some combination of rogue and wizard.

Entry Requirements
Skills: Craft (Construct) 8 ranks, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) 4 ranks, Disable Device 4 ranks.

Class Features:
As the Clockwork Virtuoso grows in power he learns to build clockwork creatures that just keep getting better and better.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
The Clockwork Virtuoso gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Craft Construct (Ex) The Clockwork Virtuoso gains Craft Construct as a bonus feat at 1st level, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Clockwork Robots (Ex) The Clockwork Virtuoso can create small and medium sized clockwork robots at first level. At third level they can create tiny and large sized clockwork robots, and at 5th level they can create huge clockwork robots.

Class Abilities (Ex) At 2nd and 4th levels the Clockwork Virtuoso may advance the class abilities of any other previous class he held. This does not include attack bonus, hit points, skill points or savings throws, but does include all other class abilities. Specifically this includes everything in the special column for the chosen class, spells per day, spells known, effective caster level, and effective level for other level based character class abilities.

Improved Clockwork Robots (Ex) At 3rd and 5th levels the Clockwork Virtuoso gains the ability to create robots with more features than previously. See the full section on Clockwork Robots for more details.

Hit Die
d4

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level): Appraise, Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Heal, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Open Lock, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Use Magic Device.

Level
Lvl BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Craft Construct, Clockwork Robots
2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Class Abilities
3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Improved Clockwork Robots
4 +2 +1 +1 +4 Class Abilities
5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Improved Clockwork Robots

paigeoliver
2007-04-19, 05:56 AM
Particularly I would like some input on how powerful the clockwork robots should actually be able to be. I do want them to be constructs, but I want 3rd level Virtuoso's to be able to create them with an intelligence score.

Khoran
2007-04-19, 06:17 AM
Seems interesting, though I think you'll need to cover more on what the Clockwork constructs are able to do, what it takes to craft them and so on.

Also, this may just be me, but I think that they are automatically shown as creepy, personally. Just kinda rubs me the wrong way.

paigeoliver
2007-04-19, 06:32 AM
I got the creepy bit both from what everyone said about the Effigy Master character I used to play, and from the whole idea of the class. Immersing yourself in the role of an imaginary person who creates artificial companions is kind of creepy. Although I doubt the creepy text will survive until the final version.

I imagine the Robots should be able to look like either humanoids or animals, and eventually they should be able to have abilities like flight, increased movement and other assorted goodies that some monsters have.

My general idea is that clockwork robots start with a 10 in each ability score, which is then modified by a skill check when the character creates the robot, such as making DC 5 is -1, DC 10 is no change, DC 15 is +1, DC 20 is +2 and so on. Then the scores would further be modified by the size of the construct, and perhaps by the level of the creator in some manner.

3rd level Virtuosos should be able to create them with an Intelligence score, although the base of that score should be 1 (modified by skill check), not 10. Making a self-aware brain out of gears and magnets is pretty hard.

I figure they should have all construct hit dice, and the ones with an INT score get skill points and feats.

Actually, I think I pretty much answered most of my own questions typing this, other than maybe what the limits should be on hit dice, attack dice, and things like that.

paigeoliver
2007-04-20, 08:39 PM
First draft of robots posted here.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41544

levi
2007-04-21, 02:03 AM
Well, one thing I noticed is the Craft (construct) skill. There is no such skill. I know that craft is open ended, so it may be a bit brash to say there is no such skill, but that's not how other constructs are made. If you look at the construction rules for other constructs, golems for example, the required craft checks are based on the material the body is made of rather than the fact that the end result is a construct.

They may have changed this in Complete Arcane, which, if I remember correctly is where the Effigy Master comes from. I'm not sure. But the core rules constructs are built using normal craft skills depending on what they're made of. This actually makes sense as there's little in common between building a Clay Golem, and Iron Golem, and a Flesh Golem, as far as the crafting aspect of it goes.

None of the usual craft skills in baseline DnD quite match what's required to build a Clockwork Robot, but I have an OGL game that has a fully detailed Craft (clockwork) skill. I think this would work pretty well, if you're interested.

Furthermore, I think it'd work out better for the character prior to taking the class. You've clearly designed the class to be usuable by casters and non-casters alike. Now, if one was to invent a generic Craft (construct) skill, it'd be of little to no use to a non-caster prior to gaining the class. I suppose it could be used to repair some damaged construct they encountered, but how often is that going to come up, especially at low levels?

On the other tentacle, if they have Craft (clockwork), they can actually use the skill for stuff. Sure, it's not much, but they can build and repair things like clocks (of course), music boxes, other tools and amusements, etc. It may not be a whole lot of use to an adventurer, but at the very least, it's not dead points, and once they get five ranks, it ought to grant a +2 synergy bonus to Disable Device checks.

Another little nit pick is that they gain an ability called Improved Clockwork Robots at both levels three and five. While this is fine for some abilites, like a Rouge's Special Ability ability (dosn't that sound strange), I don't think that's the sort of thing you're going for here. Scaling abilites in DnD usually follow a scheme of "foo", "improved foo", "greater foo", and "superior foo". Of course, there are variations, like a Ranger's Combat Style, and spells skip over "improved" and go straight to "greater", but that's how it's generally done.

I know these are little details and you're proably looking for meatier input, but the meat of the class is in the robots themselves, which, as presented here, doesn't really give much information. While I did skim over the robots thread, and give a tangental reply, I haven't really looked into how balanced they are yet. (Which isn't really my strong suite anyway.)

One final thing, just about flavor. I think the term "automaton" is more fitting in DnD than "robot". To me at least, "robot" sounds modern, while "automaton" sounds archaic, and, thus, more like the language of a fantasy rather than science fiction.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-21, 02:06 AM
huh...this looks like my puppet weapons for my Anime Project....

paigeoliver
2007-04-21, 02:11 AM
I am in agreement on the change from Craft: Constructs to Craft:Clockwork. I am also in agreement on the changing of the 5th level class ability name. I will make those changes in my final version.

Clockwork robots are somewhat weaker than Effigies are (but more open to customization) and this class loses 3 caster levels (for a caster) rather than the single level lost by the effigy master, so I don't think it will turn out to be overpowered.

Also, thanks a lot for your help.

levi
2007-04-21, 03:24 AM
Well, as you've gone with the Craft (clockwork) skill, here's the writup up the skill.

The following Open Game Content is Copyright 2004 Privateer Press Inc. and is used under the terms of the Open Game License.

Craft (Clockwork) [Int; Trained Only]
Characters with this skill know the exacting art of constructing clocks and clockwork mechanisms.

Check: This skill the standard guidelines of the Craft skill (PHB). Use the guidelines below to determine the DCs for clockwork construction and repair.

{table=head]Item | DC | Cost
Simple Clockwork | 15 | 25 gp
Complex Clockwork | 25 | 75 gp
Advanced Clockwork | 35+ | 150+ gp
[/table]

Simple Clockwork: A simple clockwork device is little more than a timer. It can be wound and ticks down in one second intervals until it triggers an alarm. In theory, timers can be set to last for any length of time, but most have a maximum of 5 rounds (30 seconds). This limit can be extended, but each additional round increases the Craft (clockwork) DC by 1.

Clockwork timers can also be rigged to other devices, though this requires a second Craft (clockwork) check (DC 15) to properly design the trigger and attach it to the device. For instance, such clockwork timers could be designed to prime the fuse on a grenade.

Many simple children's toys are also powered by simple, short duration timer-like devices.

Complex Clockwork: Clocks and other spring wound devices are examples of complex clockwork devices. While thier workings are far more intricate than those of simple clockwork timers, thier large size tends to make construction easier. Some more impressive wind-up children's toys have also been made using complex clockworks. These toys move around under their own power, make whirring and clicking noises, and some even have flashing lights.

Advanced Clockwork: Pocket watches and miniaturized clockwork power sources power sources are perfect examples of advanced clockworks. The fine scale and precision workings needed for these devices require the skill of a master craftsman. Indeed, some master clocksmiths have created near-lifelike clockwork animals that have complex behaviors and motions.

Synergy: A character with five or more ranks in Craft (clockwork) receives a +2 bonus on Craft (gunsmithing) checks, Disable Device checks related to mundane devices, and Appraise checks relating to clockwork devices.

The costs might be a bit off for standard DnD, but there you have it.

levi
2007-04-21, 03:27 AM
Well, as you've gone with the Craft (clockwork) skill, here's the writup up the skill.

The following Open Game Content is Copyright 2004 Privateer Press Inc. and is used under the terms of the Open Game License.

Craft (Clockwork) [Int; Trained Only]
Characters with this skill know the exacting art of constructing clocks and clockwork mechanisms.

Check: This skill the standard guidelines of the Craft skill (PHB). Use the guidelines below to determine the DCs for clockwork construction and repair.

{table=head]Item | DC | Cost
Simple Clockwork | 15 | 25 gp
Complex Clockwork | 25 | 75 gp
Advanced Clockwork | 35+ | 150+ gp
[/table]

Simple Clockwork: A simple clockwork device is little more than a timer. It can be wound and ticks down in one second intervals until it triggers an alarm. In theory, timers can be set to last for any length of time, but most have a maximum of 5 rounds (30 seconds). This limit can be extended, but each additional round increases the Craft (clockwork) DC by 1.

Clockwork timers can also be rigged to other devices, though this requires a second Craft (clockwork) check (DC 15) to properly design the trigger and attach it to the device. For instance, such clockwork timers could be designed to prime the fuse on a grenade.

Many simple children's toys are also powered by simple, short duration timer-like devices.

Complex Clockwork: Clocks and other spring wound devices are examples of complex clockwork devices. While thier workings are far more intricate than those of simple clockwork timers, thier large size tends to make construction easier. Some more impressive wind-up children's toys have also been made using complex clockworks. These toys move around under their own power, make whirring and clicking noises, and some even have flashing lights.

Advanced Clockwork: Pocket watches and miniaturized clockwork power sources power sources are perfect examples of advanced clockworks. The fine scale and precision workings needed for these devices require the skill of a master craftsman. Indeed, some master clocksmiths have created near-lifelike clockwork animals that have complex behaviors and motions.

Synergy: A character with five or more ranks in Craft (clockwork) receives a +2 bonus on Craft (gunsmithing) checks, Disable Device checks related to mundane devices, and Appraise checks relating to clockwork devices.

The costs might be a bit off for standard DnD, but there you have it. The only things I changed was fixing two typos in the original and adding the bit about disable device.