PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How long does it take to craft things like Alchemical fire?

jjcrpntr
2015-05-08, 06:30 PM
I have a player that wants to do crafting of alchemical fire/smokesticks and such. Which is fine none of that stuff is game breaking at all. But I can't seem to find how long it should take to make that stuff.

Kudaku
2015-05-08, 06:35 PM
This is covered in the craft (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/craft)rules. Note that a third level alchemist gains Swift Alchemy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist#TOC-Swift-Alchemy-Ex-), and so can craft alchemical items much faster than normal.

Karl Aegis
2015-05-08, 06:41 PM
It takes forever. Campaign would be over by the time you're done with those.

Andreaz
2015-05-08, 08:31 PM
This is covered in the craft (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/craft)rules. Note that a third level alchemist gains Swift Alchemy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist#TOC-Swift-Alchemy-Ex-), and so can craft alchemical items much faster than normal.

Suppose we have a level 9 alchemist with maximum int, maximum craft, a MW craft tool and master alchemist.
So it's going to be around 8+9+3+2+9+2 = 33 modifier to his craft roll. Let's say we want to make a flask of alchemist's fire.
Per craft rules he'll roll d20+33 against DC 20. Since he has Master Alchemist, he can complete the flask once his craft * dc roll sum 20 points (Without MA it'd be 200).
Let's go wild and assume he rolled a natural 20, for a check of 53! 53*20 = 1060.

Now 1060 is a week of work. The alchie only needs 20! (20/1060) * 7 * 24 * 60 = 144 minutes. 72 since it's an alchemist with Swift Alchemy. A little over an hour to make a single flask of alchemist's fire.
To start making them at a far more viable pace of, say, 3 per hour, you'd need a craft modifier of over 500. A single tanglefoot bag would take five times longer.

So no, you can't craft in able time if you aren't a blasted wizard.

My suggestion? Make craft for adventurers already upgraded with master alchemist, globally. And make the accumulation work off craft value instead of market value. That alone makes it only horrifyingly slow.
Then give Alchemists their lvl 18~ class feature instant alchemy at, like, level 5.

Ettina
2015-05-08, 08:41 PM
Now 1060 is a week of work. The alchie only needs 20! (20/1060) * 7 * 24 * 60 = 144 minutes. 72 since it's an alchemist with Swift Alchemy. A little over an hour to make a single flask of alchemist's fire.

If he's an elf, he'll need to trance for four hours while human teammates will be sleeping for 8 hours. He could make 4 flasks while sitting watch every night.

If he's a warforged, he could make 8 flasks every night, because he doesn't need to sleep at all.

jjcrpntr
2015-05-08, 09:57 PM
Suppose we have a level 9 alchemist with maximum int, maximum craft, a MW craft tool and master alchemist.
So it's going to be around 8+9+3+2+9+2 = 33 modifier to his craft roll. Let's say we want to make a flask of alchemist's fire.
Per craft rules he'll roll d20+33 against DC 20. Since he has Master Alchemist, he can complete the flask once his craft * dc roll sum 20 points (Without MA it'd be 200).
Let's go wild and assume he rolled a natural 20, for a check of 53! 53*20 = 1060.

To start making them at a far more viable pace of, say, 3 per hour, you'd need a craft modifier of over 500. A single tanglefoot bag would take five times longer.

My suggestion? Make craft for adventurers already upgraded with master alchemist, globally. And make the accumulation work off craft value instead of market value. That alone makes it only horrifyingly slow.
Then give Alchemists their lvl 18~ class feature instant alchemy at, like, level 5.

Thanks, I saw the rules in the core book but the wording seemed weird to me. This helped a great deal.

I told him I think it's a waste of time for him. He's playing an Investigator at lvl 2 and wants to make smokesticks/alchemist fires and such I figure if he wants to do it I'll let him.

Psyren
2015-05-09, 11:54 AM

Out of curiosity, how does this interact with the streamlined crafting rules in Unchained?