PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Help With Crusader Build

Thurbane
2015-05-08, 09:14 PM
Hi all,

I'm still a n00b when it comes to ToB builds.

Looking for a decent build for a 6th level Bladeling Crusader (race and class are locked, and yes, could be more optimal): mainly looking for maneuver choices and feats.

If it helps, I want him to be decent at fighting other adventurers.

Cheers - T

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-08, 09:48 PM
First, I highly recommend you ask your DM to let you use the reworked stance progression (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?124112-%283-5%29-Tome-Of-Battle-Stance-Progressions); the levels at which you learn stances in ToB cause a lot of problems (e.g. never being able to learn an 8th level stance without spending a feat on it).

With a non-human pure crusader we don't have room for a trip lockdown build this early, but Stand Still lockdown will work. You're going to want a reach weapon (if your enemies are stuck 10 feet away from you, they can't hit you with non-reach weapons) and good (14+) dexterity to get enough AoOs that you can face more than one enemy at a time.
Feats:
1st: Combat Reflexes
3rd: Stand Still
6th: Power Attack
Maneuvers:
1st-level: Vanguard Strike, Douse the Flames, Crusader's Strike
2nd-level: Foehammer, Tactical Strike
3rd-level: White Raven Tactics, Revitalizing Strike
Stances (fixed progression)
1st: Martial Spirit
3rd: Thicket of Blades

Some of these maneuvers (Vanguard Strike, Tactical Strike, White Raven Tactics) are partially or wholly reliant on having allies. I assumed you won't be fighting alone.

Aegis013
2015-05-08, 10:06 PM
On Maneuver and Feat choices, generally you'll want to decide if you want to play a particular type of Crusader. Crusader can do well in a pretty decent variety of roles:

1. Straight Big Stupid Fighter
2. Area Denial/Lock-down/Tripper

If other classes/PrCs can be in the mix:

3. Buff based divine Gish (this can be really strong depending on table interpretation of a particular ability)
4. Channeling based divine Gish (a bit harder to pull off well)

For Straight Bit Stupid Fighter, charger feat set ups are very functional. Generally you'll want to pick up White Raven charge maneuvers/stance, the relevant Devoted Spirit charge maneuver, and just go to town making enemies explode into gore. It's relatively simple.

For Area Denial/Lock-Down, you generally grab a reach weapon and utilize Thicket of Blades with Standstill and/or Knock-Down and Improved Trip, and the various combos within. This particular style you'll likely want to grab the Stone Bones and better maneuvers and the healing maneuvers as keeping your enemies close to you often means putting yourself in harm's way. Fortunately, Crusader's are pretty well equipped to deal with this.

It also might be possible to do fear lock-down using Imperious Command, Daunting Strike and other things, but I'm not sure how well it would work.

For buff based Gish, generally it's best to grab as many levels of Cleric (Cloistered for free Knowledge Devotion is a nice option) with as few levels of Crusader as possible and go into Ruby Knight Vindicator. Feats would be standard type for Clericzilla: Extend Spell (perhaps from Planning Domain), Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell, and maybe Extra Turning (perhaps from Undeath Domain). Maneuvers here can probably be less focused on defense and more focused on offense.

For a channeling based Gish you'd pick up levels of Cleric again (probably) but take Ordained Champion and go into Ruby Knight Vindicator, using Ordained Champion's channeling to use attack spells you can find. Unfortunately the best ones early on are either Evil or were updated to be pretty bad later, so it might require a lenient DM. Power up metamagics (Empower, Fell Drain, what have you) can be useful on this build. Maneuvers here should generally be focused on both defense and offense I would think, using offense for huge singe attacks.

On any Crusader build, it's generally a good idea to get Extra Granted Maneuver. It provides more options throughout a fight and refreshes your abilities faster. It's generally good to consider Power Attack and/or Stone Power as well, and possibly Shards of Granite if you go the Stone Power route.

Firechanter
2015-05-09, 05:16 AM
Yeah, going Reach Weapon plus Thicket of Blades is pretty much the optimal approach.
However, I'd always try to squeeze in Extra Granted Maneuver as early as possible.

By the way, if you want to play more "classically", Sword&Board is actually an acceptable fighting style for Crusaders. Not because of those measly two shield-related maneuvers, but because you get really nice damage strikes. As 4th-level maneuver you get a Devoted Spirit Strike that deals +8d8 damage, not too shabby. (Of course, the maneuver also works for two-handed and reach weapons; just saying...)