PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ways to get more feats? (besides flaws)

martixy
2015-05-08, 10:00 PM
Is there some sneaky way of obtaining more feats that normal.

Ways I'm aware of:
Flaws(everyone knows this anyway)
Human, Human paragon (not human)
Fighter/Psychic Warrior (Bonus feats, which for a martial character frees up the others to do your thing.)
Classes that have feats as class features (Blew my multi-class limit with PW.)

Right now I'm over the limit on feats already.

What I'm looking at specifically is Improved Flight, Flyby attack and Robilar's Gambit(Knowledge Devotion as a possible bonus).
Specifically looking for (Ex) capabilities. Even one will help.
Alternatively free Psi-Crystal Affinity / Containment(or other way of holding 2 psionic focuses).

Basically I wanna become a good flight combatant without falling like a rock in an AM Field.

Glimbur
2015-05-08, 10:17 PM
You can get bonus feats by serving an Elder Evil, but they're [vile] only so that probably doesn't help. Plus, you have to be pretty evil to do that.

If you want to get really sneaky, you can use Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos (spells from Fiendish Codex I) to turn useless feats (elven weapon proficiencies, armor proficiencies from class levels) into other feats. It is some kind of stinky gouda, but it's an option by RAW.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-08, 10:27 PM
A class that grants armor proficiency grants the corresponding feats (e.g. Bard gives you Light Armor Proficiency, Fighter gives you all three armor proficiency feats plus tower shield proficiency). If you take two classes that both grant armor proficiency, use the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle (embrace the dark chaos -> shun the dark chaos) to trade away the armor proficiency feats from the first class right before you level up and take a level of the second class.

Alternately, play an Elf and use the DCFS to trade away your martial weapon proficiencies for bonus feats of your choice.

Finally, the Heroes of Horror taint system grants one bonus feat for moderate corruption or depravity, and another for severe corruption or depravity, so you can get four feats out of that as long as you A) can deal with the negative effects of the taint or B) have a DM who allows undead/evil-subtype creatures to gain taint bonus feats, and play a Necropolitan. The latter is some shaky RAW; the undead/evil-subtype monsters in HoH who would qualify for taint-derived bonus feats don't have any, but that may be due to the designers forgetting to factor that is.

Seerow
2015-05-08, 10:29 PM
Heroics is a 2nd level spell that will get you a fighter bonus feat for 10 minutes per level. Depending on the DM you could probably use that spell to price out the cost to just buy a Fighter bonus feat (it'll end up running you around 10k gold to get an at-will use activated item; twice that to get continuous. Better to deal with use activated and refresh it every 30 minutes).

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-08, 10:39 PM
Heroics is a 2nd level spell that will get you a fighter bonus feat for 10 minutes per level. Depending on the DM you could probably use that spell to price out the cost to just buy a Fighter bonus feat (it'll end up running you around 10k gold to get an at-will use activated item; twice that to get continuous. Better to deal with use activated and refresh it every 30 minutes).

Indeed. Assuming it was made by a third-level crafter, the item would be 10800 gp for command-word, 12000 gp for use-activated, and 18000 for continuous.

However, a Wizard 1/[nonwizard classes] 5 (or Human Wizard 1/[nonwizard classes] 2) with Precocious Apprentice (Heroics), Practiced Spellcaster, and Craft Wondrous Item can make a 3600 gp command-word item, 4000 gp use-activated item, or 6000 gp continuous item of heroics. Yay for craft abuse!

Jowgen
2015-05-09, 05:07 AM
For Improved Flight, check out the Pectoral of Maneuverabiliy in Draconomicon. For general feats, I have a relevant list in my sig. It doesn't include any of the feats you mentioned, but it might free up a slot somehow.

Andezzar
2015-05-09, 08:40 AM
A class that grants armor proficiency grants the corresponding feats (e.g. Bard gives you Light Armor Proficiency, Fighter gives you all three armor proficiency feats plus tower shield proficiency). If you take two classes that both grant armor proficiency, use the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle (embrace the dark chaos -> shun the dark chaos) to trade away the armor proficiency feats from the first class right before you level up and take a level of the second class.It does not work that way, many classes grant proficiency with various weapons and armors, but they do not grant the feats that make the character proficient with the same items.

Weapon, armor, or shield proficiency may be granted by the character's race, class or by the following feats:

Armor Proficiency (Light)
Armor Proficiency (Medium)
Armor Proficiency (Heavy)
Exotic Weapon Proficiency
Martial Weapon Proficiency
Shield Proficiency
Simple Weapon Proficiency
Tower Shield Proficiency
So an elf can trade away his weapon proficiencies because they are labeled as bonus feats, whereas a Fighter or a Tiefling (as an outsider) who are both proficient with all martial weapons cannot. They do not have any feats for that. Class Features or type traits make them proficient.

P.F.
2015-05-09, 09:03 AM
The Tyrants of the Nine Hells has a rather liberal system in which you may make a Faustian pact, whereby you receive feats (or pretty much anything) in exchange for your immortal soul. This is most effective if your character is otherwise Chaotic- and Good-aligned.

Downside is that you will go to Hell when you die, and your diabolical partners may try to hasten your arrival in the afterlife.

Dread_Head
2015-05-09, 09:22 AM
It does not work that way, many classes grant proficiency with various weapons and armors, but they do not grant the feats that make the character proficient with the same items.

So an elf can trade away his weapon proficiencies because they are labeled as bonus feats, whereas a Fighter or a Tiefling (as an outsider) who are both proficient with all martial weapons cannot. They do not have any feats for that. Class Features or type traits make them proficient.

Actually they do gain the feats, see the special line of the feats themselves. Similar wording applies to shield and tower shield proficiencies but not to weapon proficiencies.

Armor Proficiency (Heavy) [General]

Special
Fighters, paladins, and clerics automatically have Armor Proficiency (heavy) as a bonus feat. They need not select it.

Armor Proficiency (Light) [General]

Special
All characters except wizards, sorcerers, and monks automatically have Armor Proficiency (light) as a bonus feat. They need not select it.

Armor Proficiency (Medium) [General]

Special
Fighters, barbarians, paladins, clerics, druids, and bards automatically have Armor Proficiency (medium) as a bonus feat. They need not select it.

There are several magical locations you can visit to gain bonus feats, the Otyugh hole or Frog god's fane for example. If these don't provide the feats you want you could DCFS them. (This is very cheesy.)

SinsI
2015-05-09, 09:24 AM
Bonus feats can be given as a quest reward by the DM, or even bought from a trainer, and it is a much much better way for obtaining them than abusing rules.
Just ask the DM.

Andezzar
2015-05-09, 09:28 AM
Actually they do gain the feats, see the special line of the feats themselves. Similar wording applies to shield and tower shield proficiencies but not to weapon proficiencies. Woops I forgot that armor proficiencies are handled differently than weapon proficiencies. It's good that not anyone with simple weapon proficiency gets 15+ feats for DCS.

booitsjwu
2015-05-09, 04:23 PM
Some of Complete Scoundrel's Permanent Magical Locations provide extra feats. (They're mostly not very useful so you'll probably still need to Chaos Shuffle them though).

ShurikVch
2015-05-09, 04:51 PM
To whom exactly you wish add those feats?
For example, Stormtalon PrC can get Improved Flight at 2nd level
Windrider at 2nd level can give Improved Flight to his mount

Some of templates give you bonus feats.
Namely, Half-Machine template (Dungeon #91) give you 4 feats from list, and on of them is Flyby attack.
Go, make your PC into Adam Jensen :smallcool:

Rubik
2015-05-09, 05:21 PM
There qre quite a few magic items which grant feats. DCFS them into the ones you want. And don't forget that a lot are weapons, so carry a ton of them on you.

Also, give your psicrystal psionic feats and take the Feat Leech power.

bjoern
2015-05-09, 05:55 PM
Arms and equipment guide gives basic rules for making items that grant feats.

I believe its like 4k + another 4k for each prerequisite or something like that.

martixy
2015-05-09, 07:24 PM
To whom exactly you wish add those feats?
For example, Stormtalon PrC can get Improved Flight at 2nd level
Windrider at 2nd level can give Improved Flight to his mount

Some of templates give you bonus feats.
Namely, Half-Machine template (Dungeon #91) give you 4 feats from list, and on of them is Flyby attack.
Go, make your PC into Adam Jensen :smallcool:

So what, +2 LA? And kinda 3.0-ish.
But useful to know it exists.

Also, frick Adam, I'm already JC Denton!

The Tyrants of the Nine Hells has a rather liberal system in which you may make a Faustian pact, whereby you receive feats (or pretty much anything) in exchange for your immortal soul. This is most effective if your character is otherwise Chaotic- and Good-aligned.

Downside is that you will go to Hell when you die, and your diabolical partners may try to hasten your arrival in the afterlife.

I'm Immortal *diabolical laughter*.
Buuut.... this sounds like an awesome challenge. Getting to boast I got out of a faustian deal. That'd be cool.

I'm aware of DCFS, but it's so cheesy it offends even me, as a guy who likes to optimize. Also, however lenient, I do not wish to insult the intelligence of my DM.

On an unrelated note I discovered why Malbolge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbolge) is called Malbolge.

Pectoral of Maneuverabiliy however is a fine, vanilla idea.

And an Eternal wand of Heroics sounds like a simply marvellous idea, especially given that Heroics is a 10 min/level spell, so a caster level of just 3 is plenty enough for any encounter!

I think I'm starting to fall irredeemably in love with Psions(as long as the power Psychic Reformation is allowed).

Sith_Happens
2015-05-10, 05:37 AM
Vampires get Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes as bonus feats. Become a vampire, Chaos Shuffle the bonus feats away, die, get Revivified, repeat.

Rubik
2015-05-10, 05:44 AM
Vampires get Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes as bonus feats. Become a vampire, Chaos Shuffle the bonus feats away, die, get Revivified, repeat.Die, and lose all of the bonus feats because the DCFS just changed which ones it gave you.

Also, Alter Self, the Polymorph line, Shapechange, and the Metamorphosis line all give racial bonus feats. Turn into a human or strongheart halfling to choose which one you get.

Chameleon grants a floating bonus feat.

And artificer grants most of the item creation feats.

ShurikVch
2015-05-10, 10:34 AM
Flyby Attack may be acquired via binding Manticore Belt to your Waist chakra

Knowledge Devotion may be gotten instead of Knowledge domain