PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need either a miniboss or an endboss

lytokk
2015-05-08, 11:39 PM
So I'm putting together an adventure for a couple of first time players., and I hit a snag. Its a simple dungeon crawl for 3 level 5 adventurers. Right now, I have a troll as a miniboss, and a troll with a few extra levels as the end boss. After looking at the CR, I'm worried that a normal troll may be too much for a miniboss. We've got a dread necromancer, paladin of freedom, and a bard in the party. There's also a 5hd skeleton running around to help, though it won't be much. After the miniboss I was intending to give the party a few gems that, when embedded in weapons, would either make the weapon act as a flaming weapon, or convert half the damage to fire. The games in about 15 hours.

Basically, I'm looking for opinions regarding if a troll with two fighter levels would be too challenging as an endboss, particularly after going through the dungeon using quite a few of their resources, even with the flaming weapon? Or should I save a normal troll for the endboss and use something else as the miniboss? If so, what? The dungeon is so far populated by kobolds, and trolls, so I would like to keep it in that theme.

Ganorenas
2015-05-09, 12:42 AM
For three 5th level players with the classes your players have, I don't see a normal troll being a problem.
I've had a party of five 3rd level characters do well against a troll, and they were not especially optimized.

As long as your players are aware that there will be a troll and they prepare for it, don't be to worried (unless you happen to roll extremely well, then be worried for their safety).

Which feats did you plan to give the Troll/Fighter2?
If your players have ~20ac or less you will have a problem, assuming the party doesn't rest before hand or has just beaten the first troll. Perhaps have them come across a cache of supplies the kobolds have prepared incase the troll(s) betrayed/raged? What ever would be thematic for your dungeon (Extra healing being notable here, the gems to enhance their weapons should be good enough treasure to prepare them for the second troll).

If you decide not to use a troll as the mini boss, a Dragon Shaman or Dragonfire Adept Kobold with a group of body blockers could make for a good miniboss fight. Not to much damage from the breath weapons, but enough to make your players feel some challenge for failing the save.

lytokk
2015-05-09, 12:52 AM
There are two wands of CLW in the party, and the dread necro has that positive/negative energy reversal feat. I haven't completely built the troll/ftr 2 yet, but More than likely would either be natural attack WF or some two handed weapon WF baddie. Like I said, two of these are brand new players and the other one only has miniscule experience. I think most of the PCs have ACs around 20, the little skeleton being the highest at about 24.

There wasn't much of a story planned around this, as to why the kobolds are working with the trolls. This is designed as a one shot. The new players are just wanting to try this out, which is why I feel such a great pressure to do this right and give them a game they'll remember forever.

I've rolled out a troll blooded lizardfolk level 4 fighter as sort of an advanced kobold. Something between kobolds and trolls. I'm wondering if this would be a decent miniboss. WF and WS Greatsword on the guy, and regen 3.

Ganorenas
2015-05-09, 02:49 AM
That would be Great miniboss to gauge where they are at for if you should use a normal troll or the one with fighter levels.

Don't forget witty banter! That always helps make things memorable.