PDA

View Full Version : A question to you metal lovers

Rykaj
2007-04-19, 07:42 AM
I have a rather weird question for people who know their metal.

I consider myself to have a broad taste in music and in nearly any genre I could name at least one band/musician I like (I think). But not so for metal. When I stumble around these boards and others I see a lot of people naming their favorite bands and a lot of them are metal bands. I've tried some, and hated all of it.

So I was wondering if you guys could perhaps help me. Help a poor metalhater with an open mind out.

Could you tell me what the appeal of metal is? I know metal musicians are some of the most talented musicians around and I wish I could appreciate it.

Could you recommend some 'beginner music' for me to get into? Heaviest guitar music I do like on a very occasional basis is stuff like metallica, deftones, spineshank and audrey horne. Most comparable music I don't really like. And these four I only like in rare short bursts, maybe lasting for a week tops.

That's it, I really hope you can help me out, or at least further my understanding :)

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-19, 07:48 AM
You called?

You may as well as why people like classical. I don't like metal for any other reason than that I do.

Generally, the best stuff for a metal noob is glam metal. It isn't heavy, it has some nice corny songs with good guitars, and it still retains what makes it metal, although it borders on hard rock.

I listen primarily to slow crunching metal, with occasional bursts into really fast metal. Power metal is generally incredibly melodic without the brutal lyrics you get in death metal. Doom metal is downer metal, so avoid that.

Get your hands on some Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall and Rhapsody (of Fire). They are all generally happy stuff with somewhat light hearted lyrics and the occasional power ballad.

Khantalas
2007-04-19, 07:55 AM
You mean... you hated Black Sabbath? Within Temptation? Nightwish? Blind Guardian?

Heretic! Be smitten! Or smote! I don't know, really.

Well, heavier kinds of metal can be a little... overwhelming for the beginners. Try these four bands I named above. They aren't that heavy (usually). Avoid black metal, death metal and such until you can appreciate it. I am still avoiding black metal, for example. Avoid nu-metal at all costs. It will be nothing but a loss of time.

Though you don't have to like metal music. I don't like rap music, for example. Or what passes for pop music over here. And I know of people who don't appreciate classical music. They are heretics and should be smote appropriately, though. Tastes can differ. Indeed, my transition to metal has taken about two years. It was painful and long, but it was worth it.

Rykaj
2007-04-19, 08:16 AM
I have to say I only know paranoid by Sabbath, but I do like that song, and I should try some of them. I don't like Within Temptation and Nightwish at all though, or anything with a gothic sheen to it for that matter (as far as I heard so far though, maybe I'm missing some really good bands).

The other suggestions, a friend of mine gave me some Hammerfall to try years ago. Most of all I remember it made me laugh, though I forgot why exactly hehe... I'll be busy trying your suggestions now, and thanks for the response so far :)

The Prince of Cats
2007-04-19, 08:20 AM
Wait... Metallica isn't metal? I must have been gone a while...

Try Dream Theater, in addition to those listed above. Not 'metal' metal, more prog-metal. Going more into metallic territory, you could try Dragonforce. If you want to try glam, The Darkness is good and camp.

I would not underestimate the classics though; AC/DC, Iron Maiden, old-style Guns n' Roses, etc. By modern standards, they are almost middle of the road, but they rocked hard enough for the time.

Telonius
2007-04-19, 08:47 AM
If you're really having trouble with the appreciation of it, start out with some of the really classic stuff - Richard Wagner. A lot of metal and similar styles of music have fairly direct links to him. Wagner's not everybody's cup of tea, but he's a good starting point for appreciation.

Then, two other bands to get you into it: Queen and The Who. It's not metal, but some of their stuff comes close. Particularly pay attention to "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who. Then listen to Blind Guardian, preferrably their "Forgotten Tales" album. It's a bit lighter, and is an easier transition for people not already into the genre. ("The Wizard" is one of my favorites.) After that, you're ready for "Twilight in Middle Earth."

Last_resort_33
2007-04-19, 09:14 AM
Try the new Iron maiden album. That is really really good. Blind Guardian might be good.

As far as Queen goes, make sure you hear "Tie your mother down" and "Hammer to Fall"

If he's not a big fan of Nightwish etc, then it could be the complexity and number of different instruments at once. I know that the first time I listened to a nightwish album (many years ago) it just sounded like a bit of a mishmash *ducks*

I also recommend the "Chemical Wedding" and "Tyranny of Souls" albums by Bruce Dickinson, all the instruments are separate and clear, the vocals are complex, but the lyrics are clear and defined, powerful, but sung, not yelled.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-19, 09:24 AM
He would hate the band jesu, then. They multilayer so much it sounds like you are listening to six songs at once.

Elidyr
2007-04-19, 09:53 AM
I'd say ignore Blind guardian. They have the epic metal songs that can really put you off. Likewise, Nightwish is just weird unless you're really into that type of metal.

I think the starting songs should be something from Iron Maiden. They have a lot of songs that are really nice (some not so much) and tend to be liked by a broader audience.

Try their earlier stuff up untill the Number of the beast album or just go for the last three or so album. Try to avoid the stuff inbetween at first. As a previous poster said, their latest album is really nice with quite a few catchy songs.

Another starting band would be Judas priest, although Halfords vocals can scare off some people. Try their Sad wings of destiny album or just their Dreamer Deceiver song, which is surely one of their best songs.

Personally, I started enjoying metal with Iced earth, go for their Alive in Athens album, which has their best work in one package.

Forthork
2007-04-19, 10:01 AM
The appeal of metal? Besides being music I like, seeing the looks on peoples faces when I play some music, and I don't even listen to much very heavy stuff.
If you like the Beatles then how about Beatallica (http://myspace.com/beatallica)? They aren't very heavy, and most of their songs aren't that good, but there few good ones are a good play to start. Power metal like Hammerfall and metal/hard rock bands, definitely Black Sabbath, then I'd go with thrash metal and metalcore, and just keep going heavier from there.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-19, 10:19 AM
Try some of these:

{table=head]Artist | Album
Nightwish | Once
Opeth | Damnation
Sonata Arctica | Reckoning Night
Blind Guardian | A Night At The Opera
Dream Theater | Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Ayreon | The Human Equation
Symphony X | V
Shadow Gallery | Tyranny[/table]

Those're some of my favorite albums, and they're not your "typical" metal.

Khantalas
2007-04-19, 10:20 AM
Damnation! I totally forgot about Damnation!

Yes, Damnation is good. It has Windowpane, for one. Even if you don't listen to any of the others, listen to that one.

The Prince of Cats
2007-04-19, 10:38 AM
Of Nightwish's albums, I thought Once a little weak. I would rate Century Child as their best work. Once just lacked the emotion of the earlier albums.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-19, 10:53 AM
When I listen to metal, it usually means I'm angry, or trying to replace depression with anger. Normally I listen to mellower stuff, Death Cab For Cutie, Shiny Toy Guns, Marcy Playground, etc.

Heads_or_Tails
2007-04-19, 11:07 AM
Strangely, I found most bands like Nightwish to be too much to listen to at once, but, after listening to some different bands I found that it wasn't the amount of music being played at once, but the type. After much listening the first metal band that I truly liked was Finntroll. They can have quite a lot of music playing at once, but instead of being operatic, or gothic metal it was folk metal. I quite liked the combination, which took me further into the different types of metal.

After that abbreviated tour through the music section of my mind, I recommend Finntroll.

Em
2007-04-19, 11:14 AM
You might be on a loser - I don't know anyone who likes metal who got into it after puberty, maybe there's a "critical period" like in learning language??

Metal people are metal people from about 10 through all their adult lives, generally.

But if you want to try - I don't think the actual band matters, you just need to train your ears, slowly.

Iron Maiden are the first band that a lot of metalheads, LR and I included, fell in love with before we knew what genre definitions were.

Ceska
2007-04-19, 11:42 AM
I think I was fifteen when I really started to appreciate metal. Now it's the most listened genre to me.

I don't know why later stuff of Iron Maiden should be bad. Brave New World still is my favourite song by them. Also, try Tool. It's a bit dark and repetitive at times, but some songs are great. Well, not all take them as metal it seems but hey, clear lines between genres always are hard to make.

The Prince of Cats
2007-04-19, 12:18 PM
Lordi... Just listen to some Lordi and revel in the sheer glory of theatrical rock written about horror films...

You might be on a loser - I don't know anyone who likes metal who got into it after puberty, maybe there's a "critical period" like in learning language??
Really? I hated metal until I was about 21. I got in through Nightwish and Dream Theater, then broadened out into the other stuff. That said, half the acts I work with (in the local scene) are metal. Thrash leaves me cold; I am still a lover of progressive and symphonic metal more than loud metal.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 02:28 PM
metal i ssomething you need to feel, like all music, if you don't have the feeling for it, well no biggie really. There are so many types of music and so many ways to listen to them that you could spend a life time and not scratch the surface. Dont try to force yourself to like something youve tried and didnt like. Life is to short to listen to bad music

DraPrime
2007-04-19, 02:44 PM
Blind Guardian is a great starter. Iron Maiden is also great. Once you get used to those 2 listen to Iced Earth. Nothing says awesome more than a guy screaming

RED BAROOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Dream Theater is also great to start with. If you like both Blind Guardian and Iced Earth listen to Demons and Wizards. Basically it's a band that's a collaboration between Iced Earth and Blind Guardian. One last thing. STAY AWAY FROM RAMMSTEIN. It's horrible. And never, never, never, never listen to Nu Metal. Your soul will slowly and painfully get sucked out because of that crap.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-19, 02:55 PM
Thrash leaves me cold; I am still a lover of progressive and symphonic metal more than loud metal.

Yay, a man after my own heart... Thrash and Death metal don't do anything for me. I can't get the hang of most american "Metal" bands either.

You could go the other way and find some REALLY CHEESY metal, like Hammerfall and the like (the last album was a bit poor mind, the first few were good). The trick with metal is to just fall into it, bang your head, jump up and down do all the over dramatic stage movements, air guitar and really let youreslf go... if you start off taking it too serously, then you've missed the point, metal is about feeling like you've been smacked in the face, but in a good way.

Matthew
2007-04-19, 03:12 PM
Yay for mention of Opeth. Can't really remember how I got into Metal, I have a fairly broad taste in music, but I guess Metallica were probably my bridgehead into Metal proper, in which case the Black Album is your best bet. Maybe try Crowbar, Isis, Nile or Decemeber. Otherwise, Type O Negative are quite popular.

If you really want comic metal, though, you can't do better than this: Rhapsody - Unholy Warcray (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEMeBTmiX4g[/url). I laughed and I laughed... and then I cried.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-19, 03:12 PM
Also try: Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Nothing like Power Metal Beethoven's 5th.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-19, 03:13 PM
Yay for mention of Opeth. Can't really remember how I got into Metal, I have a fairly broad taste in music, but I guess Metallica were probably my bridgehead into Metal proper, in which case the Black Album is your best bet. Maybe try Crowbar, Isis, Nile or Decemeber. Otherwise, Type O Negative are quite popular.

If you really want comic metal, though, you can't do better than this: Rhapsody - Unholy Warcray (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEMeBTmiX4g[/url). I laughed and I laughed... and then I cried.

You know, Matthew, you didn't originally strike me as a metalhead. Awesome.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 03:15 PM
Savatage all the way

Fax Celestis
2007-04-19, 03:16 PM
Savatage all the way

Savatage is also awesome.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 03:19 PM
almost as awsome as their side project

Telonius
2007-04-19, 03:20 PM
Oh, I can't believe I forgot them, but DO NOT forget to check out this band: Tenacious D. :smallcool:

Matthew
2007-04-19, 03:21 PM
You know, Matthew, you didn't originally strike me as a metalhead. Awesome.
Once again, I defy stereotypes... nah, Metal and D&D are synonymous

Fax Celestis
2007-04-19, 03:21 PM
Apocalyptica is also awesome. Try Reflections: the drummer addition helps.

The 8th Sin
2007-04-19, 03:24 PM
Nightwish is awesome stuff and Blind Guardian is good from what I've listened to so far. 30 Seconds to Mars classifies itself as Metal but it doesn't sound quite like metal to me. Anyway, I recomend all three.

The Prince of Cats
2007-04-19, 03:34 PM
Apocalyptica is also awesome. Try Reflections: the drummer addition helps.
I second this. Mind you, I think Metallica by Four Cellos is a good starting point for metal-heads...

Matthew
2007-04-19, 03:35 PM
Oh my god, I just discovered there is a 'Full Version' Rhapsody - Unholy Warcry (Epic Version) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZh0F8X0MCo&mode=related&search=). Sorry, had to share my discovery.

still waters
2007-04-19, 03:43 PM
Could you explain what put you off during your earlier forays into metal? It would make everyone's suggestions a bit less random.

That said, I can't resist pimping Cult of Luna and In the Woods... since both groups are very different from those that have been mentioned above* and not heavy enough to be inaccessible for the non-metalhead. In the Woods...'s _Omnio_ is perhaps the most phenomenal album I ever had the chance to listen to.

Green Carnation are worth a shot too, especially _A Blessing in Disguise_. Ephel Duath are a strange mix of jazz and metal, so it may be a good entry point.

The first few Opeth albums are cool, but less accessible. So are Amenra, Teeth of the Lion rule the Divine and Primordial.

*Until Matthew posted, that is.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-19, 04:03 PM
Green Carnation! Light of Day, Day of Darkness! The single track album! Woo!

Also, another album (I keep thinking of these): Faith and the Muse's The Burning Season or Annwyn, Beneath the Waves.

Matthew
2007-04-19, 08:55 PM
Okay, I promise not to hi jack this Thread any further after this post, but YouTube has opened my eyes beyond what I had previously known of the Comical Italian Power Metal Band Rhapsody. I had thought Christopher Lee was only involved in one project and probably regretted his participation, but I have since discovered him performing with them in a duet Rhapsody - Magic of the Wizard's Dream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0KR70AvQ5o&mode=related&search=). Christopher Lee has had some questionable roles in the past, and I usually just admired his tenacity, but the mind boggles over this.

nivek1234
2007-04-19, 09:04 PM
AC/DC - "Back in Black"
Disturbed - "Ten Thousand Fists"
KoRn - "Follow the Leader" (a little out there and profane, but I enjoy it)
Lacuna Coil - "Karmacode"
Metallica - "S&M" or The Black Album
Rammstein - "Sehnsucht"
Sevendust - "Seasons"
System of a Down - "Toxicity"

Some of these bands tread the line between simply hard rock and metal, but whatever.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 09:17 PM
any Rammstein is good, and the same with System...save the last two which were just ok. If you like system you should look up Serart, its Serge's own band with the guy that helped with the hidden track on toxicity

God_of_Luck
2007-04-19, 09:18 PM
I love trash metal. I went from liking Metallica to loving Megadeth, Testament & Kreator

ZombieEl
2007-04-19, 09:43 PM
I don't understand why you must listen to metal. I like it, but that's me, why do you care?

Amotis
2007-04-19, 09:51 PM
Broaden horizons? With any genre there are bound to be a few gems that hit even the most fervent of anti-listeners. I bet I can bring quite a few people over to rap or hip hop. It sometimes may not be worth to search for those gems, but sometimes it is.

Rykaj
2007-04-20, 02:47 AM
Yep, what Amotis said exactly.

I used to be a fervent rap and hip-hop hater in fact. But then a friend of mine who was really into it kept playing me different tracks until I found a branch I did like. Stumbling about these boards I decided the same needs to be done for metal.

Thanks for your great number of responses. Many of you suggested Blind Guardian so I think I'll start off trying some of that. And whatever else will strike my fancy. I don't know how it'll turn out yet, but I'll keep you posted :)

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-20, 07:07 AM
About people saying listen to Isis and Cult of Luna: You really think a metal newbie will enjoy listening to sludge based stuff with really heavy vocals?

That said, although not really metal, but jesu. Hard to explain, but some pf the best stuff I have ever heard.

Just for those who want to know, my first metal experience was Carcass (melodic death metal) at the age of 11.

Dispozition
2007-04-20, 07:24 AM
Hmmm...Metal...

I'm more into the Symphonic and prog metal...But some others as well...

Good bands, or at least ones that I listen to, are: Apocolyptia, Metallica, Slipknot (a lot of people are going to hate me for that :P) and Disturbed.

Heh...Only one of them is really metal, but still...Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-20, 07:45 AM
No. Slipknot cannot even be called metal. They have raped the genre that much.

Matthew
2007-04-20, 08:58 AM
About people saying listen to Isis and Cult of Luna: You really think a metal newbie will enjoy listening to sludge based stuff with really heavy vocals?
Say what? Isis is nearly easy listening. You may be thinking of Nile, which is a valid point, but I think exposing the poster to a wide array of metal is the most sensible way of helping him find something he might like.

Narmoth
2007-04-20, 09:14 AM
I will suggest that you try first to listen to:

Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Queensryche
Angra
Scorpions

then you can try out:

Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Nevermore
Dark Tranquillity
Kamelot

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-20, 10:45 AM
I'm talking about the fact that he may get some of their early albums which were still when they were rooted firmly in sludge. These days they are more relaxing, but make a distinction.

Dragor
2007-04-20, 10:51 AM
Despite Nightwish being the first metal band I really 'got' into, I'd say it was still very overwhelming- especially turned up very loud! I'm with the people who suggested Blind Guardian, too, they're very good (understatement).

Strengfellow
2007-04-20, 11:37 AM
I would like to suggest Lawnmower Deth as those guys make The Darkness look like Beethoven.

They have penned such classics as Cobwoman Of Deth Meets Mr. Smellymop
and Flying Killer Cobs From The Planet Bob, yes the. Ooh Crikey It's... Lawnmower Deth album could make even the most black hearted misanthrope offer to buy the next round.

It may not convert you into a metal head overnight but still I heartly recomend it to any and all who havent heard them.

RTGoodman
2007-04-20, 11:57 AM
Actually, I've just recently started listening to metal also. One thing that really did it for me was that all of my friends and I decided to go to OzzFest this coming August (since it's completely free this year), and so I started listening to various bands that are gonna be there. They may not be all "metal" (of course, I'm not familiar with what each "subgenre" entails), but I like a lot of it. As others have mentioned, earlier ('80s and '90s) metal groups are all good (Sabbath, Megadeth, etc.), and I myself like System of Down, Rammstein, and Lordi (though they both have their detractors).

One thing that I think works (and I hope it isn't against CoC or anything to discuss) is, if you have an AIM screenname, you can sign on to AOL's version of XM radio (find it on the aol.com homepage) and listen to the various "metal" stations until you find some groups you like.

Matthew
2007-04-20, 12:57 PM
I'm talking about the fact that he may get some of their early albums which were still when they were rooted firmly in sludge. These days they are more relaxing, but make a distinction.
I rather think the onus is on you to make the distinction, given that you were first to characterise them. As I said, I think it most sensible when seeking to understand a genre to roam fairly widely.

slevin
2007-04-20, 01:45 PM
when i was 14 my cousin came up to me with his cd player and told me to listen tho this band that he really liked. i said ok, and from that moment i was transported into the world of metal. the band was dimmu borgir. the album was Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia.

but that was me. dropped striaght on my head into metal and i loved it. but if you are just starting out in the metal scene, i strongly urge you to check out PROBOT. its a side project by Dave Grohl and it is exceedingly good. singers from the likes of Voivod, Corrosion of Conformity, Motorhead, King Diamond, Cathedral, Soulfly, and even Celtic Frost. and you can get used copies for about 8 bucks. i recommend doing this to see what type of metal you like.

The 8th Sin
2007-04-20, 02:47 PM
I forgot Three Days Grace! Those guys are awesome.

still waters
2007-04-20, 08:00 PM

You'd be surprised; I've hooked two roomies with no musical experience outside MTV on recent Isis. I hesitated a bit about Cult of Luna, but there's so much melody under their sludge I felt it was worth a shot.

Samurai General
2007-04-20, 08:12 PM
Well Iron Madian & Dragonforce.:smallwink:
Awesome bands.

.......I don't like the Beach Boys or Pink Floyd.......

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-20, 11:36 PM
Pretty much anything past Oceanic is the safe zone for Isis. Before that it can be very grating on the ears for someone new to the genre.

I myself don't really like straight Death or Black metal. Although the melodic counterparts to the two are quite nice.

Miklus
2007-04-21, 05:51 AM
Most people either love or hate metal with nothing inbetween. I think It is because metal demands attention all the time. It is not "easy listening". Also the rythem might be too fast for some people. I personally hate speed metal.

Try bands like Guns 'n' Roses, AC/DC and Alice in Chains. It's a bit in the soft end. And if you don't like it...so what?

darkblade
2007-04-21, 08:51 AM
No. Slipknot cannot even be called metal. They have raped the genre that much.

I suddenly have an imesnse desire to fulfil the first line of Disasterpeice upon you for that remark. Slipknot is the next step for metal for metal noobs I recomend Vermillion pt2 and Circle from them also Zzyzx Rd. and Sillyworld from Stone Sour.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-04-21, 06:53 PM
My recommendations are as follows:

Dream Theater : 'Awake' or 'Images and Words'. (6 Degrees is a little tough to take for a newbie)
Lacuna Coil : Comalies
Metallica : Master of Puppets
anything by Nightwish

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-21, 09:16 PM
AC/DC - "Back in Black"
Disturbed - "Ten Thousand Fists"
KoRn - "Follow the Leader" (a little out there and profane, but I enjoy it)
Lacuna Coil - "Karmacode"
Metallica - "S&M" or The Black Album
Rammstein - "Sehnsucht"
Sevendust - "Seasons"
System of a Down - "Toxicity"

Some of these bands tread the line between simply hard rock and metal, but whatever.

Nnn...I...mmm...some of those, just...no.

I suddenly have an imesnse desire to fulfil the first line of Disasterpeice upon you for that remark. Slipknot is the next step for metal for metal noobs I recomend Vermillion pt2 and Circle from them also Zzyzx Rd. and Sillyworld from Stone Sour.

...get out. This is for people who listen to metal. Not people who listen to Slipknot. Or Stone Sour.

...*points at the door*...

God_of_Luck
2007-04-21, 09:31 PM
My recomendations:

- Not Metallica. Why? It can get repetitive unless it is some of the really old stuff (like Kill'em All or MoP).
- Not Iron Maiden. Don't get me wrong, I love IM but with songs that last more than 8 min. it will most probably bore the listener.

- Judas Priest. Go with the old stuff(SWoD) or Painkiller(album).
- Helloween. Good music, that simple.

EDIT: Damn I forgot Spinal Tap ;) .

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-21, 09:34 PM
Nu metal is a blight upon metal. I can barely deal with post thrash, but nu metal is annoying to the extreme.

They cut and paste all the metal attitudes and musical aspects into some twisted form to make money.

Matthew
2007-04-21, 09:48 PM
- Not Metallica. Why? It can get repetitive unless it is some of the really old stuff (like Kill'em All or MoP).
Nah, The Black Album is synonymous with Dungeons & Dragons and by far the easiest album to get into, if you're not into metal. Repetetiveness... well yeah, but that's a fairly normal state of affairs for most bands.

Hmmn, now I come to think of it, I want to add Led Zeppelin to that list, though I suppose they might not count as metal... [edit] Hmmn, looks like Wikipedia backs me up on this one. Good stuff, add them in.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-21, 10:07 PM
I just went to see my friends' show. They started a death metal band called "Cave Troll Dungeon" in honor of the party's troll barbarian.

It was awesome. They sang about trolls and stuff trolls like. It was mostly about eating stuff, with songs called "Mutton," "Troll Nuclear Holocaust," and "Manflesh."

Led Zeppelin is a metal band that doesn't sound much like today's metal, is really great, and just about everyone likes one or two of their songs.

Flabbicus
2007-04-21, 10:18 PM
- Helloween. Good music, that simple.

Amen, Helloween was my introductory band and now I am becoming a veritable junkie. Just today I bought two Metallica albums. :smallbiggrin:

Nightmarenny
2007-04-22, 01:51 AM
Nnn...I...mmm...some of those, just...no.

...get out. This is for people who listen to metal. Not people who listen to Slipknot. Or Stone Sour.

...*points at the door*...
Don't you just love it when Rock music(self-proclaimed music of free expression, and self-choice) fans act like facists:smallwink:.

Led Zepplin and Ac/DC is a good start as most people don't even know they are metal. So yeah I agree with half the thread.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-22, 01:53 AM
Opeth....never a bad choice

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-22, 01:57 AM
I'm the kind of person that is fine on big differences of opinion, but will behead you over a small one, like music.

My hatred for Slipknot runs deep. They distort metal into a horrible, twisted thing.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-22, 01:59 AM
Slipknot is just terrible.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-04-22, 02:05 AM
I'm not a huge metal fan, but I do really like some rather "metallic" bands. Personal faves are Demon Hunter and Killswitch Engage. I will kinda listen to anything, but have a bad "ear" for knowing which genre a certain band is in. So these may or may not be metal, but that's what I call 'em.

H. Zee
2007-04-22, 02:25 AM
I'm not sure if they are what you'd call metal or just hard rock, but Disturbed are one of my favourite bands and because of them I have started listening to more...um...'metally' metal. So yeah, I'm basically a metal noob, but I'm learning.

Ceska
2007-04-22, 03:46 AM
Slipknot is just terrible.
Agreed. I don't really know what it is that makes them so bad though. Is it the three drummers making the job of one? It's not even the turntables putting me off, nor the keyboards. It's just the mix of it, blend good music together to create something horrible.

And I must say, I don't like Metallica. I just don't. The only song I can listen to on a semi regular basis is Master of Puppets. That's about it.

Edit: Disturbed is quite on the line between hardrock and metal to me, but I still like it.

And if you like folk elements, you could try Subway to Sally, I really like them and I've written a rather longish post in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41111) thread with some links. It's also on the line and has some softer songs you may like as well.

MrEdwardNigma
2007-04-22, 03:55 AM
Let's see, maybe these have been mentioned, but I'm gonna go ahead 'n name 'em anyways. I've noticed they're good introductary bands for people who are just starting to listen to metal:
Helloween
Bullet For My Valentine
Corrosion Of Conformity (not sure that's metal, but my computer says it is =) )
Danzig
If you want something freaky/funny try Creature Feature or Carnival In Coal,
once you're "into metal" I'd suggest Drowning Pool or Megadeth.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-22, 05:14 AM
I am not a fan of Bullet for My Valentine (I can only love one band with Valentine in it's name, which is My Bloody Valentine) but the rest seem good.

Corrosion of Conformity is to me the line where grunge and metal blend.

Rykaj
2007-04-22, 06:15 AM
So far I can conclude that my musical upbringing has been borderline metal. The first cd I ever bought was The Black Album, when I was 12/13. And before that my brother kept throwing Guns 'n Roses at me. Furthermore I am an avid Led Zeppelin listener. And long songs won't throw me off as among my favorite bands you will find Porcupine Tree, Marillion and Pink Floyd and they are all known to make their songs go on for quite some time.

Status so far (I'm taking it slow, it's hard to get a good opinion on listening to it just once: I started by picking 3 bands, Black Sabbath, Hammerfall and Blind Guardian. I looked em up on last.fm and tried to find some high ranking songs.

Black Sabbath didn't do it for me, except for paranoid I don't think Black Sabbath is really for me.
Hammerfall was better, but the only song I really liked was Riders on the Storm.
Blind Guardian was better yet. Not to the point I would listen to it constantly but I can definitely see why people would. Especially the song Bright Eyes worked for me.

Right now I'll try three new bands, not sure which yet but I think one of them will be Iron Maiden or AC/DC. And thanks for your advice :)

Johnny.
2007-04-22, 06:31 AM
I quite like Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory. Picked it up 'cause I saw it cheap. I listened to it for about a month straight, before picking up Octavarium and listening to that for another couple of weeks. That's about the extent of metal that I listen to.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-22, 07:03 AM
Yeah, Bright Eyes is an awesome song, as is The Soulforged.

Hoggy
2007-04-22, 08:03 AM
I quite like Slipknot. Hate me if you want but you can't silence me. :smallwink:

Random story: Went to see 36 Crazyfists/12 Tribes on friday, Slipknot's Duality came through the speakers during the long wait between being let in and the gig actually starting - mosh pit, circle pit, and 3 wall of deaths during that one song. Fairly large, too. So obviously, it wasn't just me who liked it :smalltongue:

Anyway, moving on!

Whoever said Opeth deserves a pat on the back from me. Awesome band. Likewise with Dream Theatre. Someone said Dimmu Borgir, they're good but possibly a bit overly-metal, I dunno. I like them. But I like 'extreme' metal, so meh.

Anyway, I think I might be diverging from the initial question, so I guess I'll be quiet now.

(Oh, if you like music from the FF series, check out the Black Mages. Metalish, but FF-y. Compromise is the best way to start. :smalltongue: )

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-22, 08:05 AM
I cannot believe I forgot Agalloch! If you can stand screaming, Agalloch is one of the best metal bands out there, a lovely fusion between folk, doom and black metal. Once you are in a bit deeper, get your hands on them,because they rock.

Lord of the Helms
2007-04-22, 08:50 AM
Black Sabbath didn't do it for me, except for paranoid I don't think Black Sabbath is really for me.
Hammerfall was better, but the only song I really liked was Riders on the Storm.
Blind Guardian was better yet. Not to the point I would listen to it constantly but I can definitely see why people would. Especially the song Bright Eyes worked for me.

Right now I'll try three new bands, not sure which yet but I think one of them will be Iron Maiden or AC/DC. And thanks for your advice :)

Hammerfall is indeed a great introductory pick - they're the band that really got me into the genre myself. I recommend the "Renegade" and "Crimson Thunder" albums, that's their catchiest, most accessible (and in the case of Renegade also their best) work.
Oh yeah, the picks on their myspace are also not bad, especially "Natural High" and, however huge of a cheesebomb it is, "Hearts on Fire" is all ten kinds of fun: http://myspace.com/hammerfall

Blind Guardian, I can also understand, one of the first bands I got into. Especially look for anything from "Imaginations from the other Side", "Somewhere Far Beyond" and "A Twist in the Myth" - it's easier to digest than some of the more bombastic and complicated music from "Nightfall" and "A Night in the Opera", and not quite as raw, heavy and aggressive as their first three albums.

Black Sabbath: A complicated case. They have done a lot, and I do mean a huge lot of different music throughout their long career. If you liked Hammerfall and Blind Guardian, I can only recommend you to give the "Heaven and Hell" album a try - it's melodic, it's catchy and features one of the greatest singers in the history of, err, singing. Plus some of their most absurdly well-composed songs, like the title track, Die Young and Children of the Sea.

AC/DC is quite fun, but imo mostly beside the point as it's not really metal. Iron Maiden on the other hand is an excellent introduction, though you have to be a bit picky. "Number of the Beast", "Brave New World" and "Powerslave" should make for great introductions to the band, as are their first two albums "Iron Maiden" and "Killers" (beware though, it's a very different singer on those two. Not bad at all, but nothing like what would follow).

I also have to second Helloween. The "Keeper of the Seven Keys" Pt. 1 and Pt. 2 albums are an excellent starting point, as is their "Time of the Oath" album.

And since I generally think anything power metal is a great introduction since it's a genre that almost always emphasises melodicism and catchiness, I can only recommend Hibria. Listen for yourself: http://myspace.com/hibria

Two more bands that I think could make as good an introduction for you as they did for me: Gammay Ray (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=39214990) (try Rebellion in Dreamland above all) and Sonata Arctica (http://www.myspace.com/sonataarctica) (Full Moon! Full Moon! Full Moon!)

My recommendations are as follows:

Dream Theater : 'Awake' or 'Images and Words'. (6 Degrees is a little tough to take for a newbie)

I agree with Images and Words, imo one of the few great prog metal albums that are actually really accessible. I disagree on Awake though - it's brilliant, mind, but nowhere near as accessible as some of their other work. Train of Thought, while probably the least good Dream Theater album, should be much easier to get into imo.

My hatred for Slipknot runs deep. They distort metal into a horrible, twisted thing.

I personally would simply say they have nothing whatsoever to do with metal, and leave it at that.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-22, 09:00 AM
Sorry, but I was feeling dramatic/vaguely poetic.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-22, 11:51 AM
For most D&D fans (honestly, who isn't on these forums?:smallwink: ) or fantasy fans in general, power metal is the way to go.

I couldn't agree more with those who've mentioned Blind Guardian. I admire the sheer epic quality of much of their music, especially on Nightfall in Middle-Earth (the entire album is based of of Tolkein's Silmarillion!). They're also currently working on a symphonic album for next year. If they're that good with just guitars and drums, imagine how they'll sound with a full orchestra! (Of course, in all honesty, it'll probably be much like A Night at the Opera:smallbiggrin: )

I'd also strongly recommend Kamelot. Their singer, Roy Khan, has an amazing voice. The albums to look for are Epica, and their most recent, The Black Halo. Together, they're sort of a retelling of the Faust legend, not to mention their best work to date. Their newest album, Ghost Opera, will be out in June.

As for some of the others, I admit I have a tendency to chuckle when listening to Rhapsody of Fire (the group formerly known as Rhapsody). To me, it's almost like a cheesy session of D&D. I enjoy the music, but sometimes I wish the lyrics were a little less cliched.

DragonForce was the first power metal group I discovered, but as I've moved on to some of the more mature-sounding groups, they seem increasingly stale. All the songs pretty much have the same theme and the same style. It's all style and no substance.

Narmoth
2007-04-22, 01:01 PM
Nu metal is a blight upon metal. I can barely deal with post thrash, but nu metal is annoying to the extreme.

They cut and paste all the metal attitudes and musical aspects into some twisted form to make money.

You spell it wrong :smallsmile: it's NO-metal, not NU-metal! :smallcool:

I would like to suggest Lawnmower Deth as those guys make The Darkness look like Beethoven.

They have penned such classics as Cobwoman Of Deth Meets Mr. Smellymop
and Flying Killer Cobs From The Planet Bob, yes the. Ooh Crikey It's... Lawnmower Deth album could make even the most black hearted misanthrope offer to buy the next round.

It may not convert you into a metal head overnight but still I heartly recomend it to any and all who havent heard them.

You should be ashamed of comparing Beethowen and The Darkness! Beethowen was a great composer who made awesome and powerfull music long before the electric guitar was invented. He was innovative and commisioned improvements on the piano that made the instrument what it is today and he had such a great understanding of how to compose that he was able to continiue after he became deaf, and people still listen to his music!

The Darkness on the other hand is about as innovative as my pants, the play the same stuff as AC/DC, KISS and other heavy/bands played decades ago much better than they do, and added with some guitar jerking that also have been done before. Their composing is unimagitive and their lyrics dull.

The only thing you can compare about Beethowen and The Darkness is that both have compositions that are clearly made by somebody who is deaf.

- Not Iron Maiden. Don't get me wrong, I love IM but with songs that last more than 8 min. it will most probably bore the listener.
- Judas Priest. Go with the old stuff(SWoD) or Painkiller(album).

I think I forgot JP in my list. It should have been included.
When people suggest Maiden, it's mostly about the old 3 to 5 min songs, but the new can also be good as an introduction.

Opeth....never a bad choice
It is as an introduction. The awesome growling of Mikael Akerfeldt will be hard to get a "newbie" into. It took my little sister a full year to get into death-metal because of the vocals. And she is a veteran metalhead and a good musician.

Amotis
2007-04-22, 01:07 PM
I like The Darkness. If only for their awesome "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" music video. I'm pretty sure they don't even take themselves seriously and one of their major influences being Spinal Tap. Which is a mantra that most metal and/or hard rock bands should live by. At least from my point of view they'll be a lot more enjoyable.

Narmoth
2007-04-22, 01:14 PM
As for some of the others, I admit I have a tendency to chuckle when listening to Rhapsody of Fire (the group formerly known as Rhapsody). To me, it's almost like a cheesy session of D&D. I enjoy the music, but sometimes I wish the lyrics were a little less cliched.

Just to get something clear about Rhapsody (of Fire for the picky ones):
I translated an application for work in a grosery store in Norway from a guy from trieste. It was just as cheesy as "Forrest of Unicorns" by Rhapsody.
They don't do it on purpose, it's just that people in different countries have different ways to express themselves. The story isn't bad (for fantasy written by an unproffesional writer inspired by Conan the Barbarian) and the music is great (except for "the last unicorn" where there isn't any correspondance between the story and lyricks and the melodi of the song.
Of course, don't like is don't like, but compared to Manowar and Wizard, I don't think you should critisize the band.
At least they are making up the story themselves rather than retelling stories by others, like Blind Guardian (which I'm a great fan of) does.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-22, 05:40 PM
I didn't say I didn't like Rhapsody. I thought their story was a good enough one, and it's fun to listen to. It's more upbeat than some of the other groups I mentioned (Kamelot, for example, is rather melancholy. I sometimes feel like I want to cry after listening to their music). I understand what you mean about different cultures expressing themselves in different ways and I did not mean to offend.

As I've said, their playing is fantastic, and relatively descriptive. I remember listening to "Mystic Prophecy of the Demonknight" and I could almost visualize what was going on. I guess I should have chosen my words better. I said it sounded like a cheesy D&D session. So does Wrath of the Dragon God, which is a movie I admire. I didn't mean to say that being cheesy was a bad thing.

Now, DragonForce is an example of where it gets boring, or even annoying. I have all three of their albums, and I can say with some degree of accuracy that they almost sound identical.

In short, I DO like Rhapsody. They make me smile. But I prefer lyrics with a little more depth (hypocritical statement of the year, seeing as how Blind Guardian wrote a song about Raistlin Majere:smallbiggrin:).

TSGames
2007-04-22, 08:57 PM
Two good metal bands on vastly different planes of the metal spectrum are:Metallica and Psychostick. One, everybody's heard of, the other...not so much. The first is really good metal and the second is also good, but is a hard-core joke band.

Also, as mentioned: there Black Sabbath, the best super #1 ultimate mega metal band.(I've watched too much anime).

Dispozition
2007-04-23, 05:29 AM
*sigh*

All the hate for nu metal...I'll admit, most of it is crap. But as with all genres, except rap, there are some good songs in there. Can you seriously not see that?

Anyway...I'll still stand by my comment that Apocoliptica are freakin' awesome...

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-23, 05:30 AM
I see far more merit in rap than in nu-metal.

Rap has Nerdcore.

Nu-metal has no redeemable features.

Dispozition
2007-04-23, 05:31 AM
Hmmm...Nerdcore...Ok, I'll pay that.

And since your so convinced that Nu metal is bad...Why is it so bad? Give me a list.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-23, 05:37 AM
Generally I hate hte subject of the songs combined with the fact most of the artists are jackasses.

Throw in the incredibly simple compositions with nothing really new, just the same old crap with new words, and you have why I hate it. Simplicity isn't bad, but in metal which is known for having some inventiveness in it's songwriting, it is awful. Seriously, I have heard harder punk songs.

Also, a much more valid answer: Because I am awesome.

Dispozition
2007-04-23, 05:43 AM
Hmmmm...So, you're saying all Nu Metal is the same, right?

Linkin Park and Slipknot...Last I checked...They're prety damn different...

As for the compositions, a lot of them aren't that simple. The best guitarist at my school can't play a fair few slipknot songs properly and trust me, it's not because he's bad.

As for harder punk rock songs...Just...What the hell are you smoking boy? Some Nu Metal is simple, I'll admit that. But Bands like Disturbed, Slipknot and Rage Against the Machine hardly are.

Also, a lot of metal bands I know are very, very repetitive in their songs...Stupidly so...There are only three riffs in a 5 minute long song...That's not cool.

And you are only awesome because I made you so.

EDIT: Whoot, rantiness...

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-23, 05:46 AM
I was awesome before you made a figure of my image.

I have quite seriously heard harder punk songs. Such as that one done entirely in 10 finger tapping on friday, at a local concert.

Dispozition
2007-04-23, 05:52 AM
Ok...I'm listening to Iron Maiden right now and I can't see why everyone says they're so good...I, quite frankly, think it's crap...But still...Oh...Just skipped to Lamb of God...These guys sound good...But back onto musical discussion.

Could the said punk band sing? Because when a band sings out of tune, it really doesn't sound good. All good and well if the guitar and that are awesome, but if the singer can't sing, the song is crap, no matter what...

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-23, 05:56 AM
See, that is a point of opinion, just like my dislike of nu metal.

I didn't mind the singing, I prefer it to be somewhat more melodic, but it was fine.

About technical songs: Find the tabs for A Diamond for Disease and give them to the best guitarist you know. Tell us when he can play the entire thing from memory.

Dispozition
2007-04-23, 05:59 AM
Hmmmm...I do believe he's actually composed more coplicated stuff himself...With his band. They are crazy like. Next time they preform I'll record them for you and you will see how awesome 2 year 12s, a yr 11 and a year 8 are at metal...

The two guitarists play each otherers fretboards at one point in the song...It's epic...

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-23, 06:03 AM
If you want some incredibly technical stuff, get him the tabs to No Boundaries, or even more fun, Paganini's 24 Caprice transcribed for guitar.

Have fun.

But let us stop arguing. I hate something you like and vice versa. It matters not.

Dispozition
2007-04-23, 06:04 AM
Point of View, that's all it is.

Now...Excuse me while I go play some silverchair...

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-23, 06:35 AM
I have a rather weird question for people who know their metal.

I consider myself to have a broad taste in music and in nearly any genre I could name at least one band/musician I like (I think). But not so for metal. When I stumble around these boards and others I see a lot of people naming their favorite bands and a lot of them are metal bands. I've tried some, and hated all of it.

So I was wondering if you guys could perhaps help me. Help a poor metalhater with an open mind out.

Could you tell me what the appeal of metal is? I know metal musicians are some of the most talented musicians around and I wish I could appreciate it.

Could you recommend some 'beginner music' for me to get into? Heaviest guitar music I do like on a very occasional basis is stuff like metallica, deftones, spineshank and audrey horne. Most comparable music I don't really like. And these four I only like in rare short bursts, maybe lasting for a week tops.

That's it, I really hope you can help me out, or at least further my understanding :)
Okay, first: Blind Guardian, especially their later stuff. Even if you don't like heavy metal, most of their newer albums (as in, ones after the first two) will at least have lighter stuff on there; most even have an acoustic track or two. Actually, I've composed a "tavern mix" for my games that consists mainly of Blind Guardian acoustic stuff because they imitate the old European troubadour style in their instrumentation and lyrics. They're the first metal band I really got into.

Secondly, I can't recommend Rhapsody of Fire highly enough. They're an Italian metal band that, much like Blind Guardian, focuses on fantasy themes; I especially like their album entitled Triumph or Agony.

Thirdly, I listen to DragonForce mainly because their guitar playing is insane; it isn't called speed metal for nothing, and I appreciate that kind of talent. :smallbiggrin:

Fourth, I'd say to try Hammerfall. They also do a lot of fantasy-based stuff, but they're more "traditional" metal than Blind Guardian or Rhapsody, so you stand less of a chance of liking them.

And the only other one I listen to with any regularity is Manowar, and that's about as stereotypical heavy metal as you can get, so if you don't like that I can say not to get any of their stuff. :smallamused:

And Nu Metal is false. See the Laws of True Metal (http://www.mfba.org/printthread.php?t=41277). I hereby proclaim it canceled. *Flexes* :smalltongue:

Lugat
2007-04-23, 09:20 AM
Some nu metal songs are good. I think most of it is trash, but sometimes there's a great song among this masses of utter *censored*
Plus some of those guys have amazing talent. I think Slipknot's guitarists while nowhere near the best of their trade are really good and could perform with some of the more classical outfits too.
Lastly: Try Mercenary, especially "11 Dreams" (album)

Hoggy
2007-04-23, 12:32 PM
I got into Metal music mainly on Linkin Park/Papa Roach.

But still... this is not the nu-metal debate thread. It's recommending accessible metal to someone who doesn't know where to start.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-04-23, 01:09 PM
Methinks I could just recommend what most everyone else is saying for power metal, just so that none of my death metal greatness rubs off. I would have a lot to say on the subject, but I'm afraid what I'll post will unlikely be finished for the completion of my total praise for said sub genre, and of course many others. I'm quite diverse... I may like Slipknot, I may shun Disturbed. I may bag on Trivium but Capharnum's quite alright at times. Bullet For My Valentine is probably a horrendous band and shouldn't be recommended to anybody. The first album from Static-X is great, while most everything else they've done just doesn't touch base. Machine Head are quite great no matter if they're trendhoppers or not. Many of these different-headed opinions and more are what make the norm of my mental criteria, for probably just about every day of my existence.

I've got nothing more conflicting to say here... it is good that I've got this much out, but otherwise, I'm not going to push it any further for I respect most everybody's opinions, suggestions and differences here. Metal in general is pretty much a taxing genre to get into, what with all the fine, laid out and sometimes unnecessarily complex intricacies (sp?) contained there in. I guess I say it with experience cause I've spent the last seven to eight years enjoying the living heck out of what I've got out of it. In the words of a song called "Street Carp" by the Deftones, whom I also have a personal taste for:

"There's all your evidence, now take it home and run with it"

2 cents deposited.

P.S: By the way, the link to the supreme and all-mighty Laws of True Metal is highly FALSE in itself and needs to be dismembered for being out of touch with the times. Children of Bodom... bah! :smallbiggrin:

P.S.S to the OP: Unless I missed the first page or missed a post regarding these masters, has a single soul here mentioned Nevermore? If so, I praise them as well, for they're most definitely brilliant and untouchable.

(Whew. :smallsigh:)

Koga
2007-04-23, 01:49 PM
Raw passion man. No other music has it.

You know, before there was emo, there was blues.
Before there was rap, there was hiphop.

But metal is unique. Metal isn't about so much how you feel, but how you express how you feel. Make you just wanna smack your momma!

The Koga may not be considerd the most "hardcore" metalhead. Lord knows Pete's always saying so. But then it's like Carl said on Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

"You don't need an instruction manual to know how to rock!"

Disturbed is real metal. Alot would disagree because they are a succesful band under a big record label. All this proves is that the capitalist pigs see a talent they can exploit for profit, that's all. You're only a sellout if you lose yourself in the money, and Disturbed never has. They're putting out just as hard as they were five years ago.

Speaking of which, they're on the radio right now.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-23, 01:58 PM
Okay, first: Blind Guardian, especially their later stuff. Even if you don't like heavy metal, most of their newer albums (as in, ones after the first two) will at least have lighter stuff on there; most even have an acoustic track or two. Actually, I've composed a "tavern mix" for my games that consists mainly of Blind Guardian acoustic stuff because they imitate the old European troubadour style in their instrumentation and lyrics. They're the first metal band I really got into.

Secondly, I can't recommend Rhapsody of Fire highly enough. They're an Italian metal band that, much like Blind Guardian, focuses on fantasy themes; I especially like their album entitled Triumph or Agony.

Thirdly, I listen to DragonForce mainly because their guitar playing is insane; it isn't called speed metal for nothing, and I appreciate that kind of talent. :smallbiggrin:

Fourth, I'd say to try Hammerfall. They also do a lot of fantasy-based stuff, but they're more "traditional" metal than Blind Guardian or Rhapsody, so you stand less of a chance of liking them.

And the only other one I listen to with any regularity is Manowar, and that's about as stereotypical heavy metal as you can get, so if you don't like that I can say not to get any of their stuff. :smallamused:

And Nu Metal is false. See the Laws of True Metal (http://www.mfba.org/printthread.php?t=41277). I hereby proclaim it canceled. *Flexes* :smalltongue:

I concur on most of these points (I don't know what nu-metal is, so I'm not qualified to talk about it, nor have I heard Manowar). However, not to quibble, DragonForce has their own name for their style. They call it extreme power metal. Despite the band's flaws, I still have a small amount of respect for them. It was through them that I discovered the other power metal bands I listen to via Pandora.com.

Amotis
2007-04-23, 02:07 PM
The two guitarists play each otherers fretboards at one point in the song...It's epic...

Bwahaha. Yup, there's my view on metal guitar solo's right there. Hahaha.

You know, before there was emo, there was blues.
Before there was rap, there was hiphop.

Before most anything there was blues, including metal. Especially metal.

Rap and Hip Hop developed at the same time, or at least named at the same time. Grandmasta style. You could even get technical and say the toasting of Latin America and the disco rap and the scatting (or Louis Jorden, etc) and that rap came before Hip Hop. Hip Hop was to acompany the dance style of that time (1970's), rap, as a musical style, had roots much much earlier. Heck, even African Grigo's had something to say about that.

That being said, metal is not unique in the way that you claim. No genre sprouts out of no where post-blues. It wasn't a vacuum music. Heck, look at all the older "metal" bands named on this thread. They didn't call themselves metal, at least not until the term was actually coined.

Amiria
2007-04-23, 04:42 PM
I also can really recommend Blind Guardian, but especially their older stuff. Their first three albums are simply amazing. Majesty, the opener of their debut album is still my favorite song of them. They have changed quite a bit over the years. Most of their latest stuff is too overloaded and shrill for my taste. Especially Hansi's voice, I liked it much more on the earlier albums.

Iron Maiden is also great. They 90s were their weak decade but now they are right on top again. Imo their best albums are Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and A Matter of Life and Death.

Rhapsody (of Fire) ? I have lots of their stuff but I don't like them that much anymore. They are also a bit too shrill, and incredibly schmaltzy.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-23, 10:58 PM
To be truthful, I find shrill voices more appealing than screaming ones. And what exactly does schmaltzy mean?

Nightmarenny
2007-04-23, 11:23 PM
Here's something start with the bands that came before metal, the stuff that inspired or challenged metal. Look at that and then take a look(again) at the first metal bands.

Amiria
2007-04-24, 01:40 AM
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/schmaltzy

Hansi's voice and also the guitars have become too wailing and overwhelming for my taste. I like it more down-to-earth. The change of style began (slowly) as early as SFB but I enjoyed all their albums up to and including the great NFIME. But the only song that I really like from ANATO is "And Then There Was Silence".

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-24, 02:12 AM
Well, I enjoy Hansi's style of singing. And it is nothing compared to Geddy Lee's. His voice is incredible.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-24, 11:00 AM

Hansi's voice and also the guitars have become too wailing and overwhelming for my taste. I like it more down-to-earth. The change of style began (slowly) as early as SFB but I enjoyed all their albums up to and including the great NFIME. But the only song that I really like from ANATO is "And Then There Was Silence".

That is the song to end all songs! Roughly 14 minutes long and it has my full attention throughout. Plus, I enjoy Greek mythology so it has a special place in my heart, though I think it pales in comparison to the soulful "The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight". ANATO was my first Blind Guardian album and still remains my favorite, though I confess that there are a few tracks that I tend to skip every time, namely "Age of False Innocence" and "Punishment Divine".

There are a couple good songs on "A Twist in the Myth" that aren't too waily, like the charming piece "Skalds and Shadows", though I can see what you mean by waily. I tend to ignore that.

Thank you for the definition, by the way. :smallsmile:

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-24, 11:04 AM
I still think every metal fan should try listening to some Agalloch at at least one point- there is a reason they are being called the new Pink Floyd.

nivek1234
2007-04-24, 11:46 AM
Anyway...I'll still stand by my comment that Apocoliptica are freakin' awesome...

I must agree. I was introduced to them a couple weeks ago and I can't get enough.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-24, 11:48 AM
I appreciate what they do, but there are better bands at doing it. Such as Judgement Day. Look Cello Rock up on wikipedia.

Hoggy
2007-04-24, 11:59 AM
I still think every metal fan should try listening to some Agalloch at at least one point- there is a reason they are being called the new Pink Floyd.

The new Pink Floyd? From what I've heard, they don't sound much like them... at all. Saying that, I only have one of their albums.

(And IMO, they're far better than Pink Floyd. I never really got into Pink Floyd, tbh.)

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-24, 12:18 PM
Pink Floyd more in how they are rather progressive and how they add in many influences in their music.

When it comes to prog rock I prefer King Crimson to Pink Floyd.

Hoggy
2007-04-24, 02:22 PM
Ah, right. I guess. I'd much prefer KC too.

Amotis
2007-04-24, 02:28 PM
Since we're talking about Geddy Lee and KC (KC Accidental...no? Anyone? Please?) I think I'll link to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWGwylbB3PA).

Haha so fun. *dances*

Lord of the Helms
2007-04-24, 07:30 PM

Actually, Blind Guardian have always gradually changed from album to album, with the exception of maybe Follow the Blind which was kinda stagnant (also, underproduced and at times boring imo, but that's a different matter). It's what I really appreaciate about this band, they're not out there trying to bring out the same type of stuff again and again but actually always progressed into a different direction, for better (Nightfall! Imaginations! Tales!) or for worse (ANATO). I quite liked their recent effort, too.

And I also admire Hansi for so far constantly expanding his vocal abilities. There's a lot of singers out there who've lost parts of their voices (Rob Halford and Kai Hansen for instance. And let's not dwell in Paul Di'Anno territory...), while Hansi's voice nowadays has greater range and versatility than ever. Plus, I'm a huge sucker for shrieky vocals.

Well, I enjoy Hansi's style of singing. And it is nothing compared to Geddy Lee's. His voice is incredible.

And Geddy Lee's voice actually sounds quite mild and easy-to-take compared to folks like Midnight (Crimson Glory), John Cyriis (early Agent Steel), James Rivera (Helstar, plus tons of others) or Warrel Dane back when he was in Sanctuary. Not to mention King Diamond, not necessarily for high-pitched-ness but definitely for over-the-top-ness :smallwink:

Not that Geddy Lee isn't awesome :smallcool:

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-24, 09:56 PM
Geddy Lee is truly awesome- there is a reason he is credited with the best bass performance ever (Which would be YYZ)

I love the song Subdivisions- I thought it was a woman singing when I first heard it.

Trog
2007-04-25, 12:42 AM
Metal? What's the appeal is the question? Hmmm...

Well it gets your adreneline pumping for one. It's good to rage a bit and sort of get your agreesions out through the music I have found. But then again I am a sucker for a good guitar solo and a kicking back beat of any sort.

As for what to listen to I can only give my musical foray into metal as I grew up. And yes this begins in 3rd grade at age 9. So before metal really hit the mainstream. Someone might feel the need to respond to my postings and point out what is/isn't metal but I frankly don't care.

Kiss - Detroit Rock City
AC/DC - Back in Black
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (best album IMHO) and Somewhere in Time (for pre and post Dickinson enjoyment)
Twisted Sister (if you are gonna listen to cheesy metal you might as well dive in head first with the guys who did it and knew they would be only a flash in the pan and so saved up their cash and served like veggie trays and water backstage. Heh.)
Quiet Riot - Metal Health
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Skid Row - er... that first album they did.
Anthrax - That yellow and red one. Gotta get that again. Wonder who stole that one. Hmmm...
Guns and Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Faith No More - The Real Thing
Soundgarden
Rage Against the Machine - The Battle for Los Angeles
Korn
Linkin Park
System of a Down - er... the first one.

Now one could say those at the end of the list are very different from KISS at the beginning. And you would be right. I'm just giving you, chronoligically the bands I can remember sort of reshaping the genre as I experienced it over my lifetime.

Rykaj
2007-04-25, 05:24 AM
From the bands you listed above, Trog, I've listened to most of them, and like maybe half of them.

As for my metal exploration, I got myself some ACDC and Iron Maiden, and in fact I really like Iron Maiden. I might go out a little later and buy a cd of theirs (which would be the best to buy? :smallsmile:). I have to confess that I didn't listen to a lot of other stuff because I got quite caught up in listening to my new Porcupine Tree cd, which by the way, is absolutely fantastic and you should all try it (they are in fact also considered the new Pink Floyd hehe, and in contrast to Agalloch they aren't metal, but progressive rock, albeit a little more guitar-y than Floyd).

I think though, after snooping around some that I can get into more 'traditional' metal and some of the power metal you named. But the vocals of black, death, doom and whatevermetal won't do it for me... That's sort of sad, because I do like the music of some of those bands (Agalloch for example, I really liked the guitar on the fragments I heard, but when the vocals came in I had to turn it off, and that's sad I think).

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-25, 05:43 AM
Doom metal generally has normal vocals akin to those of Black Sabbath.

The vocals in Agalloch do take some getting used to, but they are better than Burzum or Graveworm. And either way, Agalloch have some really beautiful folk based stuff that is rather divorced from metal- without the black metal screaming. A Desolation Song, for one. Kneel to the Cross, a Sol Invictus cover is another.

Even if you don't like the vocals, give Agalloch a try because the vocals aren't on some of their best songs.

Not really metal, but jesu (http://www.myspace.com/officialjesu) is an excellent band. Kind of a combination of metal and shoegaze.

Lord of the Helms
2007-04-25, 05:32 PM
From the bands you listed above, Trog, I've listened to most of them, and like maybe half of them.

As for my metal exploration, I got myself some ACDC and Iron Maiden, and in fact I really like Iron Maiden. I might go out a little later and buy a cd of theirs (which would be the best to buy? :smallsmile:).

Iron Maiden on the other hand is an excellent introduction, though you have to be a bit picky. "Number of the Beast", "Brave New World" and "Powerslave" should make for great introductions to the band, as are their first two albums "Iron Maiden" and "Killers" (beware though, it's a very different singer on those two. Not bad at all, but nothing like what would follow).

There you go :smallwink:

God_of_Luck
2007-04-25, 06:35 PM
Rykaj: Lord of the Helms gave some excellent suggestions, but you will most probably find A Matter of Life and Death at the store. It is new one and it is really good.

EDIT: I would also like to recommend Diamond Head.

Rainspattered
2007-04-25, 10:45 PM
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
<3 Paul DiAnno

I don't know if it counts as metal; I'm not as up on the musical definition-ing (no, not defining) as some, but Danzig is pretty great. I like GWAR, but they're moer joke-rock than metal, too.
Rage Against the Machine is great for anybody who likes political rap/dub poetry and distorted guitars. It's insanely awesome when they're combined. Blind Guardian has some truly beautiful lyrics (listen to Fly, for instance), and Sonata Arctica will harmonize the pants off you.

I can't (ironically) reccomend Mayhem enough; one member ate the brains of another.

Narmoth
2007-04-26, 05:39 AM
I can't (ironically) reccomend Mayhem enough; one member ate the brains of another.

No, he didn't. They made amulets of the scull of the singer after he commited suicide. Also, in their erlier days, the bassplayer killed another meber of this band over a musical dispute. He is stil serving his prison-sentence.

Also, this seems hardly as a valid reason to recomend a band.