PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Players returning after 6 months (story help)

Pinjata
2015-05-09, 05:22 AM
So about half a year ago in-game time, my PCs (level 5, 3.5) were adventuring on a huge peninsula. Its coasts have a few small towns of settlers, sent from Main Land to expand overseas (A bit like New England). While they were adventuring there, they have also met some catfolk natives, quite strong tribe, but the most important thing was the Main quest - try to prevent local lizardfolk to rebuild an ancient serpent temple. When they were in the region, one of the lizardfolk got a powerful divine gift - a shard of a long dead serpent god - and became really powerful and smart. (got cleric levels). He was the main man of rebuilding project. Now rebuilding the temple would basically mean lizardfolk get a terraforming device on their hands that also gives small magical benefits to all lizardkin in the region, if they pray to dead serpent god. Of course, they also have an expansion of their rulership in mind as well as bringing other lizardfolk tribes to the fold. PCs did kill the cleric, but were almost killed themselves by lizardfolk luitenants. They fled.

Now I am starting a new campaign and I can just see players wanting to return to the peninsula half a year later.

What should they find there?

Maglubiyet
2015-05-09, 08:08 AM
Seems like the lizardfolk might not give up their dreams of expansion so easily. The dead serpent god may still have attracted a strong cult following. The promise of a new era of lizardiness is a seductive one. Maybe a new champion has arisen who is trying to follow in the cleric's footsteps. He is searching for the shard and wants to take revenge on the PC races.

Or, the lizardfolk may now be a dejected and defeated people. Their dreams were crushed by the death of their cleric. The catfolk have capitalized on this development and driven the lizardfolk out of their homeland.

Depends on how you want to play it.

Pinjata
2015-05-09, 08:32 AM
Nice input, thanks Maglubiyet. Now lizardfolk returning as a villain is a common and rather standard idea, but if we put the catfolk in the equasion in a way that they ousted the lizardfolk, it is really cool. Since we still need some conflict, perhaps I should go about settlers expanding deeper and deeper into catfolk teritory and ensuing conflict?

Now, I'd like to go a bit subtle abot this not simple "catfolk are indians", so I'm thinking - what things could settlers bring that could really upset catfolk? They were trading with the world before, these catfolk, but world never really came to visit. What could really aggravate these cats?

I was thinking - settlers supplying something really addictive to catfolk. Settlers wanting to mine near catfolk settlement. Settlers bringing a special disease that settler clerics heal easily, but this aggravates ruling shamans of catflok?

goto124
2015-05-09, 08:40 AM
something really addictive to catfolk

Catnip....

Do you have cats IRL, by the way? It'll add to the atmosphere :P

Pinjata
2015-05-09, 08:59 AM
Catnip....

Do you have cats IRL, by the way? It'll add to the atmosphere :P

I think alcohol may be more depressing :D

LokiRagnarok
2015-05-09, 09:31 AM
Are the catfolk themselves something rare and unseen in your setting, or just this particular tribe?
If the former, catfolk attract tourists.

Depending on how light- or darkhearted you wanna play it, the catfolk might themselves become subject of wanted or unwanted attention - as study subject, object of sexual attention, or object of "omg wanna pet your ears!!1"

The younger folk may also be building attention in the outside world (ranging from trade over the young folk moving away to "undesirable" friendships or more), which upsets the conservative elders. Instant infighting, just add water!
While the catfolk are caught up in their problems, some cunning lizardfolk prepare their move...

Murk
2015-05-09, 10:26 AM
what things could settlers bring that could really upset catfolk?

Real cats.
Not trying to be snippy here, but the idea of catfolk seeing their kin used as entertainment, almost slaves, and being totally pissed off about it sounds like as good a reason for conflict as any.

It would also mean that suddenly the catfolk are the aggressors, not the lizardfolk. On the other hand, the lizardfolk is still trying to push the catfolk back to become the dominant culture again. It might even mean the adventurers have to team up with the lizardmen against the catfolk this time.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-09, 10:30 AM
What could really aggravate these cats?

The settlers start killing off the dire bears (or wyverns, griffons, etc.) in the region to protect their livestock. But to the catfolk, this is a sacred animal, and can only be killed as a rite of passage to adulthood for their warriors.

Smoke from the settlers campfires and cooking fires settles downwind in a valley that is the catfolk's traditional inter-tribal meeting ground. It irritates their noses and eyes, forcing the catfolk to abandon this area.

Settlers bear holy symbols of their god that appear in the ancient catfolk woodcarvings. It is prophesied that this symbol will bring plague and death.

goto124
2015-05-09, 10:54 AM
the catfolk might themselves become subject of wanted or unwanted attention - as study subject, object of sexual attention, or object of "omg wanna pet your ears!!1"

Wait till the players do these :3

(Yes, that's a kitty face.)

Pinjata
2015-05-09, 12:03 PM
Allrighty, Ilove your suggestions guys. Basically, catfolk will be:
- in some cases kidnapped as pets
- exposed to not-alcohol
- become a tourist hot spot
- have "sacred" creatures killed by settlers (griffins are great example)

Do you have any ideas on what "rails should I lay" in order to somehow appease both sides? Settlers will be pretty aggressive (in a passive way) with adventurers coming in and tourists.

Another_Poet
2015-05-09, 02:39 PM
Just some thoughts I had based on the above:

How do catfolk and lizardfolk interact? As the catfolk get more aggravated by the settlers, do they seek to ally with the remaining lizardfolk? Would they send the lizardfolk gold and weapons, to get the settlers off their back? Woud they go so far as helping in the construction of the serpent temple?
6 months ago, what was the relation between catfolk and settlers? Do the catfolk have anything they can sell to the settlers that makes this a two-way street?
Are there different factions of catfolk? One faction, that has (commodity the settlers want), prefers to trade with them and become rich, while another faction (being driven off its land by settlers) wants to destroy the invader?
Have you considered turning the tables - do catfolk use humans as pets or labor?