PDA

View Full Version : PS3 help - controller wont synch

Pendulous
2015-05-09, 04:40 PM
Bought a used PS3 today. And I can't do anything with it, because the controller (official Sony PS3 controller) won't synch up with the system. After pressing the button on the controller, the four red lights that are numbered flash for about a minutes, then turn off. Nothing else happens. I've tried resetting the controller, multiple times. Gamestop, in all their infinite wisdom, was zero help, and I can't get back there right now because I don't drive. The internet hasn't helped either. No matter what I try (plugging it into my PC, resetting it from there), there is nothing different that happens. The lights flash, they stop. I'm asking everywhere I go for any kind of possible solution.

Shekinah
2015-05-09, 05:47 PM
It sounds like something Rezzy and I experienced when we bought a PS3 with used controllers. The controller might be a dud. You can try buying another to see if that works.

GloatingSwine
2015-05-09, 06:13 PM
Usually you have to do the first time sync by plugging the controller into the console with a USB cable. Plug it in, turn the controller on, once it syncs it should stay synced when disconnected.

(If you plug it into a PC and it pairs with the PC you have to redo this).

Pendulous
2015-05-09, 06:33 PM
Usually you have to do the first time sync by plugging the controller into the console with a USB cable. Plug it in, turn the controller on, once it syncs it should stay synced when disconnected.

(If you plug it into a PC and it pairs with the PC you have to redo this).

That's the problem. The console even prompts me to turn the controller on, but it's not synching. Could be the USB cable though. Would there be some sort of indication on my PC that it's plugged in? Because when I plugged it into my PC, nothing happened.

GloatingSwine
2015-05-09, 06:59 PM
Yes, the computer will detect and install it, even if the controller isn't powered on (it will make the USB connect noise and appear in the devices list as a Playstation 3 Controller).

It could be the USB cable, it's a generic mini USB so you may have another one lying around from a mobile phone or etc.

If not it sounds like the USB socket on the controller.

Pendulous
2015-05-09, 08:05 PM
No, actually, the only one I have is for my MP3 player, but it doesn't fit.

Pendulous
2015-05-13, 02:45 AM
Got a new cable and it turned out to be the issue. Thanks for the input (yay PS3 time)