PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is Kaorti Resin? It says hardly anything about it in Fiend Folio.

Windrammer
2015-05-09, 07:10 PM
Everyone's like "Oh yeah, Kaorti Resin? Great stuff. Helps your weapon crits. It's in Fiend Folio."

Only armor and a specific weapon are described. I want Kaorti resin in the game I'm playing but I need to know exactly what it does and what it costs. pls help

Red Fel
2015-05-09, 07:14 PM
Everyone's like "Oh yeah, Kaorti Resin? Great stuff. Helps your weapon crits. It's in Fiend Folio."

Only armor and a specific weapon are described. I want Kaorti resin in the game I'm playing but I need to know exactly what it does and what it costs. pls help

Take a look here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a). The gist is "it's a special material that gives slashing and piercing weapons an x4 crit modifier." The cost is also detailed in the article, and is based on the cost of the base item.

Saintheart
2015-05-09, 07:56 PM
Also note that, at least theoretically, any weapon dipped in Kaorti Resin -- longsword, you name it -- thereby becomes an exotic weapon, which then qualifies for Exotic Weapon Master. Only three levels long, but has some interesting tricks if you're focused on Fighter-ish builds.

Red Fel
2015-05-09, 08:00 PM
Also note that, at least theoretically, any weapon dipped in Kaorti Resin -- longsword, you name it -- thereby becomes an exotic weapon, which then qualifies for Exotic Weapon Master. Only three levels long, but has some interesting tricks if you're focused on Fighter-ish builds.

Now, just a moment. I don't recall anything about dipping. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the rules explicitly say that if the resin isn't formed into items within a certain time, it dissolves. Kaorti weapons aren't dipped in resin; they're made of it entirely. It's how ribbon daggers, for example, have the flexibility to disarm enemies.

Saintheart
2015-05-09, 08:03 PM
Fair point, the thrust was merely to point out EWM.

Red Fel
2015-05-09, 08:06 PM
Fair point, the thrust was merely to point out EWM.

Fair point. EWM does work if you get use out of the tricks, and you get three of 'em.

Azoth
2015-05-09, 09:07 PM
If you aren't looking to go EWM, and want to save a feat there is a +1 weapon enchant that grants automatic proficiency with that weapon while wielding it. It also sets your BAB on the medium track if it isn't already better. I think the enchant is called Skilled.

Windrammer
2015-05-09, 09:14 PM
Take a look here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a). The gist is "it's a special material that gives slashing and piercing weapons an x4 crit modifier." The cost is also detailed in the article, and is based on the cost of the base item.

Maybe I'm stupid but I can't find a buying cost, I only see it covering a cost of creation.

Taelas
2015-05-09, 09:29 PM
XP costs are equal to 5 gp per XP spent. So if you're making a bastard sword made out of kaorti resin, it costs (335 gp/2 XP * 5 gp/XP) or 840 gp.

awa
2015-05-09, 10:12 PM
keep in mind not all dms will allow you access to the stuff if i recall correctly from a fluff perspective it should pretty hard to get a hold of

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-09, 10:35 PM
keep in mind not all dms will allow you access to the stuff if i recall correctly from a fluff perspective it should pretty hard to get a hold of

Not to mention the fact that if you steal one, you'll get a steady stream of kaorti trying to get it back.

DarkSonic1337
2015-05-09, 11:06 PM
Can you just polymorph yourself into one of these and craft the weapon yourself?

Snowbluff
2015-05-09, 11:20 PM
Well, you can PAO someone into a kaorti to make it. I reckon that they would be in high demand, because they are pretty good.

Not to mention the fact that if you steal one, you'll get a steady stream of kaorti trying to get it back.
Eh... I'm not sure they would put too much effort into it, depending on how good the weapon was. It's too expensive to lose whole kaorti over a single weapon.

SowZ
2015-05-09, 11:56 PM

While it takes a moderate amount of effort to make, the Kaorti could make a new one. He probably isn't going to risk dying over the recovery of some lost resources. Especially since XP is an abstraction the character herself doesn't really understand. At most, the Kaorti who made the weapon will stalk you for it. A cabal of Kaorti aren't going to come after you like a pack of Inevitables over a sword.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-10, 12:34 AM
Eh... I'm not sure they would put too much effort into it, depending on how good the weapon was. It's too expensive to lose whole kaorti over a single weapon.

Oh, right. It must be the Githyanki that don't like having their special semi-liquid weapons taken (those silver sword things).

Tvtyrant
2015-05-10, 02:35 AM
Oh, right. It must be the Githyanki that don't like having their special semi-liquid weapons taken (those silver sword things).
I think it is a bartering thing. They work hard to convince their red dragon pals that it is the githyanki wielding stupid alchemical swords doing the work and not the nigh immortal super lizards.

awa
2015-05-10, 11:39 AM
I think it is a bartering thing. They work hard to convince their red dragon pals that it is the githyanki wielding stupid alchemical swords doing the work and not the nigh immortal super lizards.

alchemical? the silver swords are powerful magic items with a potent ability to cut astral cords

The Glyphstone
2015-05-10, 02:33 PM
Yeah, it's the Githyanki who are seriously uptight about the 'non-Githyanki carrying silver swords' thing.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-10, 03:14 PM
alchemical? the silver swords are powerful magic items with a potent ability to cut astral cords
Most individuals don't astral project, and swords are extremely weak in a universe of magic and dragons. It is like having a tungsten machete next to a bull dozer.

Taelas
2015-05-10, 03:36 PM
When you live in the astral plane, the ability becomes much more useful. Which they do.

Khatoblepas
2015-05-10, 03:40 PM
Most individuals don't astral project, and swords are extremely weak in a universe of magic and dragons. It is like having a tungsten machete next to a bull dozer.

I think it's more the principle of the thing. It's their thing, they don't want anyone jacking their thing.

And, uh, the Githyanki live on the Astral plane, so they'll see people astral projecting daily.

Marlowe
2015-05-10, 10:04 PM
I'd be more concerned that it's manufactured from a material secreted from the palms of Kaorti and then treated "appropriately". It doesn't seem that you can manufacture it without a captive Kaorti. Which might be considered asking for trouble.

Of course, who cares what happens to a bunch of Kaorti? Ghastly people. But they could probably do a lot of damage to the scenery and the furniture trying to get their cystmate back.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-10, 11:44 PM
Of course, who cares what happens to a bunch of Kaorti? Ghastly people. But they could probably do a lot of damage to the scenery and the furniture trying to get their cystmate back.

Well, yeah. It goes without saying, the things that those people get up to. Always picking fights, lowering the neighborhood property values, taking our jobs, turning our friends into horrid extraplanar flesh-beasts...

Marlowe
2015-05-10, 11:50 PM
...kidnapping all the local NPCs and replacing them with disguised Kaorti...transforming said kidnapped people into more Kaorti...repeating ad nauseum...I think we've all seen this movie and it's up to you whether you want to star in it just to get your hands on a special material.

atemu1234
2015-05-10, 11:50 PM
Well, yeah. It goes without saying, the things that those people get up to. Always picking fights, lowering the neighborhood property values, taking our jobs, turning our friends into horrid extraplanar flesh-beasts...

...Stealing our Wi-Fi...

Saintheart
2015-05-11, 12:13 AM
...Stealing our Wi-Fi...

...eating and drinking, and, and, smoking!

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-11, 12:14 AM
...Stealing our Wi-Fi...

...Close dancing, holding hands, kissing in public...

Saintheart
2015-05-11, 12:16 AM
...Close dancing, holding hands, kissing in public...

Well, we're safe for now. We are in a bowling alley.