PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [DSP/PoW] You got your TWF into my THF! (Build Idea)

Dusk Eclipse
2015-05-10, 12:45 AM
I was reading Scarlet Throne Style and I started thinking of ways to try and "bypass" the off-hand restriction in order to be able to benefit of Power Attack (I know Piranha strike exists), and then I remembered Mixed combat and I got this stupid mental image of a character wielding two weapons, but only using one at a time, and then Mithral Current came rushing into my head, because I would already be drawing and sheathing all the time, so why not include it? Anyway here is a rather sparse build stub to try and make this thing work. The main reason for going the full way into Scarlet Throne Riposte is because you have so many counters between ST and MC that it seemed like a no-brainer; though I admit I have no idea where to take this feat-wise after level 11

I haven't put much thought about which maneuvers to pick, but I think that the best way to go is picking boosts and counters from ST and MC and strikes from Trashing Dragon.

Dervish Defender Warder 20
Tradition: Scarlet Sentinels (Primal Fury->Scarlet Throne)
Trait: Unorthodox Method (Golden Lion-> Mithral Current)
Trait: Undecided

Human:Quick Draw
DDB: Two-Weapon Fighting
1 Prodigious Two-Weapon Fighting
3 Double Slice/ Scarlet Throne Style
5 Power Attack
7 Mixed Combat
8 Scarlet Throne Dignity
9 Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
11 Scarlet Throne Riposte

CashanDraven
2015-05-10, 04:55 AM
If you can squeeze it in later, Dragon Fury is great for this, treating your off hand as main for power attack, and if you go for 5 levels, you treat both as if they were two-handed weapons for the purpose of power attack.

Since you're looking for Thrashing Dragon strikes later down the line anyway, this also nets you Power Attack as a free feat, giving you an extra feat to work with.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-10, 05:05 AM
1. Is it even possible to TWF via mixed combat? I'm pretty sure two-handed weapons always count as main-hand for the purposes of, well, everything. You could still do this with a two-handed weapon and armor spikes using the aforementioned Dragon Fury.
2. What/where are Scarlet Throne Style, Ready the Draw, Scarlet Throne Dignity, and Scarlet Throne Riposte? None of them are mentioned anywhere in my copy of Path of War, nor are they on the PFSRD.

Elricaltovilla
2015-05-10, 07:20 AM
I was reading Scarlet Throne Style and I started thinking of ways to try and "bypass" the off-hand restriction in order to be able to benefit of Power Attack (I know Piranha strike exists), and then I remembered Mixed combat and I got this stupid mental image of a character wielding two weapons, but only using one at a time, and then Mithral Current came rushing into my head, because I would already be drawing and sheathing all the time, so why not include it? Anyway here is a rather sparse build stub to try and make this thing work. The main reason for going the full way into Scarlet Throne Riposte is because you have so many counters between ST and MC that it seemed like a no-brainer; though I admit I have no idea where to take this feat-wise after level 11

I haven't put much thought about which maneuvers to pick, but I think that the best way to go is picking boosts and counters from ST and MC and strikes from Trashing Dragon.

Dervish Defender Warder 20
Tradition: Scarlet Sentinels (Primal Fury->Scarlet Throne)
Trait: Unorthodox Method (Golden Lion-> Mithral Current)
Trait: Undecided

Human:Quick Draw
DDB: Two-Weapon Fighting
1 Prodigious Two-Weapon Fighting
3 Double Slice/ Scarlet Throne Style
5 Power Attack
7 Ready the Draw
8 Scarlet Throne Dignity
9 Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
11 Scarlet Throne Riposte

Your Mixed Combat TWF build doesn't actually have mixed combat in it? Also, Ready the Draw is a stance, not a feat.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-05-10, 08:12 AM
If you can squeeze it in later, Dragon Fury is great for this, treating your off hand as main for power attack, and if you go for 5 levels, you treat both as if they were two-handed weapons for the purpose of power attack.

Since you're looking for Thrashing Dragon strikes later down the line anyway, this also nets you Power Attack as a free feat, giving you an extra feat to work with.

I don't think Dragon Fury would really work for this character, for one I feel it's class features would be either redundant if I take the class early, or they would come too late if I took the levels later; furthermore it would restrict the access to both Scarlet Throne and Mithral Current, which isn't good as they are the backbone of the concept.

1. Is it even possible to TWF via mixed combat? I'm pretty sure two-handed weapons always count as main-hand for the purposes of, well, everything. You could still do this with a two-handed weapon and armor spikes using the aforementioned Dragon Fury.
2. What/where are Scarlet Throne Style, Ready the Draw, Scarlet Throne Dignity, and Scarlet Throne Riposte? None of them are mentioned anywhere in my copy of Path of War, nor are they on the PFSRD.

1) I haven't heard of that rule anywhere before
2) In theory you can, but it is boring and doesn't really work with the mental image usually evoked by two-weapon fighting (at least in my opinion)
3) The styles feats are from the playtest document, ST Style allows you to treat a one-handed weapon as two-handed for feats and class features if you have nothing on your off-hand (hence the need to juggle drawing and sheathing weapons mid combat), ST Dignity allows you to expend a readied maneuver to make an attack roll instead of AC and if successful you get a free 5 ft. step, finally ST Riposte makes negated attacks from counters or ST Dignity provoke an AoO from the enemy. Really cool feats,

Your Mixed Combat TWF build doesn't actually have mixed combat in it? Also, Ready the Draw is a stance, not a feat.

Thanks for catching that, I don't know how I confused them. In any case ready the draw would probably the stance of choice up until level 7 when Mixed combat comes online.

stack
2015-05-10, 08:18 AM
Pretty sure you can't use the same hand to make an offhand attack that you used for the mainhand attack. No citation, but I am fairly certain I read a comment from Paizo to that effect. I hi I they even tried to stop two-hander/armor spike TWF, but it was awhile ago that I seem to recall reading it.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-10, 08:22 AM
3) The styles feats are from the playtest document, ST Style allows you to treat a one-handed weapon as two-handed for feats and class features if you have nothing on your off-hand (hence the need to juggle drawing and sheathing weapons mid combat), ST Dignity allows you to expend a readied maneuver to make an attack roll instead of AC and if successful you get a free 5 ft. step, finally ST Riposte makes negated attacks from counters or ST Dignity provoke an AoO from the enemy. Really cool feats.

Huh. Those make the whole one-handed fighting schtick of Scarlet Throne actually work. Nice. I'm guessing the playtest doc in question is for Path of War: Expanded? Because I don't think any DM would use the PoW playtest document now that PoW itself has been published (and put online for free access).

Pretty sure you can't use the same hand to make an offhand attack that you used for the mainhand attack. No citation, but I am fairly certain I read a comment from Paizo to that effect. I think I they even tried to stop two-hander/armor spike TWF, but it was awhile ago that I seem to recall reading it.

Actually, this build doesn't ever hold a weapon in both hands; he'd make an attack with his main hand, sheath that weapon, draw a weapon with his off hand, attack with that weapon, and sheath the weapon in his off hand. Rinse and repeat (or make the attack routine with his main hand, sheath the main-hand weapon, draw a weapon in the off-hand, and attack with that). Either way, it's a really cool aesthetic. I like the whole thematic concept of unsheathing your weapon to attack and then immediately sheathing it, so I may steal this build given the chance.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-05-10, 08:49 AM
Yes, the feats are from PoW:E and you nailed it, that is the core of the build. Something that I forgot to mention before it is that this works with any one-handed weapon.

stack
2015-05-10, 11:20 AM
Ah, read too fast and misunderstood. Interesting idea.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-05-10, 11:57 AM
So any ideas about what feats to get at higher levels? I always have trouble with high level beatsticks.