PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Landmarks in Eberron? (PC Backstory help)

Jarmen4u
2015-05-10, 01:38 AM
Hi all,

I'm working on making a Whisper Gnome swordsage for an upcoming game, but I'm having some difficulties with the details of my story.

The swordsage is going to be a not!Assassin, so lots of Shadow Hand. He's also taking the Darkstalker feat, and as of level 8 (tentative starting level) he has +27 to Hide and +23 to Move Silently.

Basically, my DM and I were talking about adding some Plane of Shadows type fluff to my backstory since I'm so heavy on stealth and darkness. As we will be using much of Eberron lore, it might be appropriate if my character had had an encounter in The Gloaming, which is the Manifest Zone for Mabar (essentially the dark/negative plane of Eberron). The main issue I'm coming across is how I can realistically justify my character going to/finding himself near there, as there doesn't seem to be much reason to go. As he is from a healthy family in the upper-middle class (rolled by DM) I plan to have him be from the capital of the Gnome nation, Zilargo, which is at the southern tip of the continent. The Gloaming is far north and to the east, as part of Eldeen Reaches, and is in a huge, expansive forest, roughly 1000 miles away.

I was thinking something of a pilgrimage, but I couldn't really find anything in my limited research that would draw him to that side of the continent. An option would be that he was seeking the dark power, but I had it planned that he had no interest in darkness in particular until he had his encounter. The DM suggested he even be temporarily taken to the Plane, which I think is a great idea, but I'm having trouble tying all the bits together.

Thanks in advance for the advice/help!

P.S. link to map for reference (http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/eberron/images/f/f4/D%26D_-_4th_Edition_-_Eberron_Map_Khorvaire.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090819121531)

Rizban
2015-05-10, 01:47 AM
The Faded Forest in Breland also has a Mabar manifest zone, and Breland is just right next door to Zilargo. Looking at the map, the faded Forest is practically on the border between the two.

Edit: Source - Five Nations p 65-66.

Jarmen4u
2015-05-10, 01:52 AM
The Faded Forest in Breland also has a Mabar manifest zone, and Breland is just right next door to Zilargo. Looking at the map, the faded Forest is practically on the border between the two.

Edit: Source - Five Nations p 65-66.

Thanks a lot man, I was literally just about to go back through that book.

Congrats on the marriage! :smallbiggrin:

Drork
2015-05-10, 06:06 AM
A miss used divination magic could trick gnomes into thinking there is another reason for investigating it. From soar wood to elemental magic. There are a lot of reasons why such an expedition might be launched to investigate and where there is expeditions there are people in well off situations trying to improve their standing in society from success of such. There are so many magical experiments not fulling described in Eberron you could have any number of magic gone wrong that lands your friendly fun loving gnome in the gloaming for ever souring you against high society.