PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Mind blank and morale bonuses from spells

Kraken
2015-05-10, 02:21 AM
You can voluntarily lower your immunity, but as soon as you want to benefit from Mind Blank, all morale benefits are dismissed. It's not like Antimagic Field, where they resume if he suppresses his immunity again, he would need to re-cast them.

Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw: A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic (for example, an elf’s resistance to sleep effects) can suppress this quality.

I didn't want to derail the thread from which this originated. RedMage's interpretation had never occurred to me before, I had thought that once you voluntarily failed the save you could continue to benefit from both mind blank and, for instance, heroism. I'm curious for the thoughts of others on whether this is clear one way or the other, or ambiguous.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-05-10, 02:53 AM
There's absolutely no RAW support for lowering your immunity to mind-affecting abilities while under the effect of Mind Blank, your only option would be to dismiss the spell completely, but unfortunately it's not even dismissable. Spell Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellResistance) can be voluntarily lowered, but DR cannot, nor can a creature with fire immunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fireImmunity) voluntarily choose to take fire damage. A mindless creature or an undead creature cannot lower its immunity to mind-affecting effects, nor can a creature with Mind Blank. You have to take the good with the bad on this one.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-05-10, 04:45 AM
What Biff said. The only Mind Blank-like effect that allows beneficial effects through (that i'm aware of) is the Slayer's Cerebral Immunity.
The bard spell Empyreal Ecstasy (BoED) blocks mind-affecting effects but doesn't remove any that are already in place.

Everyone else has to choose. Either you're immune to mind-affecting and divinations or you get bardic music and morale effects, but not both.