PDA

View Full Version : is this item possible to craft, and how expensive would it be?

Ettina
2015-05-10, 02:52 AM
A magic item that allows someone affected by Necrotic Tumor (a permanent spell allowing the caster to mind-control them) to cast Necrotic Dominate (like dominate person, but only on someone with a necrotic cyst and only castable by a mother cyst bearer).

So, to break it down, this item a) casts Necrotic Dominate, b) when used by someone who can't normally cast that spell who c) is affected by a particular spell themselves.

I'm thinking of having a mother cyst-using BBEG give this item to some foremen in a Liquid Pain generating slave camp to use on the slaves (all of whom have necrotic cysts). But I don't know if the rules allow for an item that can only be used by someone affected by a certain spell, and I have no idea how much XP & gold it would cost for the BBEG to make this thing (he has Craft Wondrous Item). If it costs too much, it won't be worth it to him to make.

Also, if it is possible to make this thing, would a Use Magic Device check allow someone who is not affected by Necrotic Tumor use this device? And what would the DC be?

Orderic
2015-05-10, 04:29 AM
There are many ways to do this.

My first suggestion would have been an eternal wand, but then I realised, that they can only have spells up to level 3.

What you could do is put it into a normal wand. Since it is a level 4 spell, this would cost 21,000 gp.
This would not even require the necrotic cyst, only the use of Use Magic Device.

Now, if you want to restrict the wand to only those with a necrotic cyst... There is not really a restriction that fits your criteria, but let's assume that it is equal to needing a specific skill rank, which reduces the cost to 18,900 gp.

Or you could make a use-activated wondours item. This would, just going by the rules, without any adjustment by the dm, give us a price of 56,000 gp for something that could be used by anyone or 50,400 gp if it is restricted to someone with a necrotic cyst. Of course, this, unlike a wand, is a completely new item and the price has to be adjustet by the dm to fit the game and the desired balance.

Also, it can be made cheaper by giving it charges/day, instead of unlimited uses.

If you want to read more, I recommend the Creating Magic Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) section of the SRD.

Edit: While it is not normally possible to emulate being affected with a spell when using UMD, if you allow it as a restriction for items, you should also allow UMD to emulate it. I think a DC of 20+Spell level would be appropriate.

Ettina
2015-05-10, 10:34 PM
How did you calculate those costs? I find those charts really confusing.

Ettina
2015-05-10, 11:42 PM
It just occurred to me that for the intended purpose of these items, charm person would work just as well and be far cheaper. So, did I calculate this correctly?

Wand of charm person (CL 2), only useable by a person affected by necrotic tumor, 2 charges per day = 1296gp value

Orderic
2015-05-11, 02:06 AM
You could make that wand CL 2, but CL 1 would be enough, since the spell is available at that CL when you use the Sor/Wiz list.

I got the prizes by looking at tables and multiplying. I can give you a specific breakdown if you want.

Sure, you can also use Charm Person. However, Wands are not items that have uses per day. They have 50 charges and when they are gone, the wand has become useless.

However, in the Magic Item Compendium there i something called an eternal wand. As long as you are an arcane spellcaster, you can use it and it is usable 2/day. And one of Charm Person at CL 1 would cost only 820gp.

However, charm is far weaker than dominate. Charm merely makes someone your friend, dominate gives you complete control over them. Also, necrotic dominate has the advantage of having a higher save dc. Charm person would have a save dc of 11, while the dc of necrotic dominate would be 16.

What I recommend is... get a command-word activated item of necrotic domination, usable 1/day, restricted to those with a necrotic cyst (CL 7, Save DC 16, 9072 gp) and an eternal wand of charm person (CL 1, Save DC 11, 820 gp).

That way you can dominate the most troublesome slaves and charm a few of those who need to be calmed down.

Ettina
2015-05-11, 07:12 AM
Thanks very much! I'll do that.

By the way, the wands aren't useable by anyone with a necrotic cyst, but by anyone who has had necrotic tumor cast on them. It's a cyst-powered spell that basically grants the caster permanent mind control, with the subject getting no Will saves to shake off control and no restriction on obeying suicidal orders. But I think the same costs and such would still apply.

Orderic
2015-05-11, 07:56 AM
Right, forgot about that part. It has been a while that i read about those spells.

Also, I corrected the caster level of the necrotic domination item, because that one should be 7.

Ettina
2015-05-11, 09:40 AM
Right, forgot about that part. It has been a while that i read about those spells.

Also, I corrected the caster level of the necrotic domination item, because that one should be 7.

Because you'd have to be 7th level as a wizard to cast that spell?

Orderic
2015-05-11, 12:08 PM
Correct.

Although... Technically, the caster level of the item could be 5, if it is made by a level 5 Artificer, although the price would still be the same.

Flickerdart
2015-05-11, 12:12 PM
My first suggestion would have been an eternal wand, but then I realised, that they can only have spells up to level 3.

What you could do is put it into a normal wand. Since it is a level 4 spell, this would cost 21,000 gp.
Sanctum Spell, baby!