PDA

View Full Version : RWBY-How would you do it?

Philemonite
2015-05-10, 12:12 PM
Volume 3 hype got me thinking about RWBY as a tabletop, but I don't really have any ideas that really worth starting a thread. What I do have is a few starting points that should be a good basis for some brainstorming, assuming there are people who are interested.
Since we are talking primarily about combat, the first thing we would need is a way to make each character's combat style different enough. The system also needs to be fast-paced, and that's probably the biggest problem. In order to achieve that, the following tools are available:
-Weapons. This is one of core aspects of RWBY, personalized weapons that support the character's fighting style. Relatively simple way to create various weapons that have a custom feel. Possible?
-Semblance. This is probably the hardest part, incorporating unique powers that play radically different.
-Dust. Basically a functional magic, dust needs to be categorized and the use of it limited in some way. Having characters constantly fling dust around would be kinda boring.
-Aura. How would you define it? It should be more then just damage reduction. Maybe it limits the use of your Semblance. Maybe it also limits Dust use. Maybe it can be "burned" to give you a power boost.

There you have it, some random thoughts that don't really mean anything, but could be a good start if people want to throw some ideas around.

vasharanpaladin
2015-05-10, 01:44 PM
Classless system, core mechanic doesn't matter.

Major point of note is that switch-hitting should not be discouraged, and in fact a good style tree should have talents that incorporate all modes of the weapon (reference: Ruby using shot recoil to enhance Crescent Rose's melee speed, Yang using melee attacks to trigger shots, etc). Problem here would be similar to trying to make a Fruit-user in the One Piece d20 game; if you're going to encourage players to customize weapons, they'll need to make trees from scratch. Recommend employing weapon groups: Scythes were noted to be strange and difficult to use from the start; Two-Handed, Dust and Multiform would appear to be other notable groups.

Semblance is easier than you make it out to be. Use effect groups again... Power, Movement, Endurance, Tricky would be the main ones. Make lists based on those categories using the characters' Semblances (remember that effects can be reflavored as desired by the players), and use those as guidelines for creating more. You might also look into manga like Claymore for more ideas... as an example, Blake's Semblance is very similar to "Phantom" Miria's unique trick, so it wouldn't be much farther to carry that idea into a Semblance like Hysteria the Elegant's more offensive variation.

Dust is - hear me out - an ingredient item. Raw Dust can have any of several effects if used on its own, refined Dust can be used to make ammunition and to incorporate its effects into weapons and other objects. Going back to the talent trees mentioned previously, include one for Dust-based fighting. Weiss and Cardin both use Dust weapons (revolver chamber and Fire Dust, going by what I recall seeing), Cinder uses primarily Fire Dust woven into her clothes. This tree should revolve around making raw Dust safer to use as well as making attacks using refined Dust more potent. Crafting should also be considered.

Passively: Aura is damage reduction. It's how most of the characters actually survive taking the lumps they do. Active applications of Aura haven't really been shown, aside from Ren oneshotting a Grimm with a palm strike. My conclusion is that aside from gaining DR as you get stronger, an Aura tree would amount to unarmed combat... a weapon is still a useful tool, though, as Ren also demonstrates. Aura could also be used to "spike" abilities, I think... but you should be careful with this, especially with my previous suggestion to use established Semblances as guidelines, since it might enable a "god spiral" when combined with Yang's zenkai.

Philemonite
2015-05-10, 02:06 PM
I like your ideas a lot. Skill trees is something I am already considering for another project, and it does provide a lot of flexibility. The main problem there is that it needs to be restrictive enough to prevent breaking the game, but that falls under details and playtesting, not general ideas. So, four (Weapon Wielding/Personal Semblance/Dust Manipulation/Aura Use) skill trees for every character? Sounds simple enough, and it has a lot of potential.
But I would disagree with one thing, core mechanic matter greatly, because it needs to be simple enough to be easy to resolve.

Kantaki
2015-05-10, 02:15 PM
I would include an active dodge/parry mechanic - tied to Aura , Semblence or weapons. And the core-mechanic matters for the feel of the game. DSAs three rolls per stat mechanic and two attacks one parry per combat round would be way to clumsy for an fast paced setting like RWBY.

Philemonite
2015-05-10, 02:26 PM
It would definitely need reactions, but that could be integrated in all skills trees. The problem there would be massive slowdown to resolve reactions, and the best solution I can think of would be to set the reactions in advance. Something along the lines of "I attack enemy X with my weapon and prepare to dodge next attack. If I'm not attacked I use the action to throw my weapon at the enemy". Or something like that.

vasharanpaladin
2015-05-10, 02:44 PM
I like your ideas a lot. Skill trees is something I am already considering for another project, and it does provide a lot of flexibility. The main problem there is that it needs to be restrictive enough to prevent breaking the game, but that falls under details and playtesting, not general ideas. So, four (Weapon Wielding/Personal Semblance/Dust Manipulation/Aura Use) skill trees for every character? Sounds simple enough, and it has a lot of potential.
But I would disagree with one thing, core mechanic matter greatly, because it needs to be simple enough to be easy to resolve.

When I say "core mechanic doesn't matter," I mean I'm not going to mention a preferred mechanic when there might be one that I haven't considered that might work better. :smallredface:

Xhosant
2015-05-10, 02:45 PM
Aura, from what I got (and the displays under Jaune's shield and so on) is more akin to 'hp', where upon running out of it (or perhaps with certain critical hits getting through) you get you actual hp damaged, which is quite less. I'd incorporate penalties depending on wounds on those points.

Semblance would be 'cast from HP', I think it was clarified in the series too that aura fuels semblance.

Dust is a consumable, honestly. A highly versatile or user-depending one, probably, but still essentially ammo. So that's easy enough to handle.

Finally, on weapons I'd say you need to reward cross-use of the styles included.

All in all, a tick-based system (like Fate's) might be the best fit, bonus points with Fate's 'bonus for cinematic-ness'. Weapon-semblance-dust effect design would better fit some very versatile system, like BESM. The whole package would need to be a freeform-on-crunch-roots result, methinks. All that said, the adrenaline-pumping combat we all love will be tough to reproduce, baring a real-time mechanic and/or superb skill on all participants.

Also, we got word on volume 3? When, were, who? Me wants!

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-10, 02:49 PM
All in all, a tick-based system (like Fate's) might be the best fit, bonus points with Fate's 'bonus for cinematic-ness'. Weapon-semblance-dust effect design would better fit some very versatile system, like BESM. The whole package would need to be a freeform-on-crunch-roots result, methinks. All that said, the adrenaline-pumping combat we all love will be tough to reproduce, baring a real-time mechanic and/or superb skill on all participants.

Euch, FATE. As much as I hate the system, I must admit it might fit well here.

Xhosant
2015-05-10, 02:55 PM
Euch, FATE. As much as I hate the system, I must admit it might fit well here.

I've only glanced through Exalted, honestly :P But the scope of movement in RWBY makes (detailed) grid icky, and that leaves the field open for other gimmicks. Timing is more important, however.

So, if time>space, ticks rather than grid :P

Kantaki
2015-05-10, 02:55 PM
It would definitely need reactions, but that could be integrated in all skills trees. The problem there would be massive slowdown to resolve reactions, and the best solution I can think of would be to set the reactions in advance. Something along the lines of "I attack enemy X with my weapon and prepare to dodge next attack. If I'm not attacked I use the action to throw my weapon at the enemy". Or something like that.

Well an reaction should follow an action. If the attack would connect ask the player how he wants to deal (the beowulf lungs at your troat. I dodge/parry/take the hit.), one roll,check success roll damage if nessesary, done. And since I brougth up the dark eye: Bravery should be a stat. Would fit the setting.

Philemonite
2015-05-10, 02:58 PM
Also, we got word on volume 3? When, were, who? Me wants!

Trailer was out two months ago (I think), but I just watched. Volume 3 will premier in less then 3 months (http://rwbyhiatuscountdownblog.tumblr.com/).

Xhosant
2015-05-10, 02:59 PM
Trailer was out two months ago (I think), but I just watched. Volume 3 will premier in less then 3 months (http://rwbyhiatuscountdownblog.tumblr.com/).

Rest calmly, Monty, your work lives on :biggrin:

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-10, 02:59 PM
Trailer was out two months ago (I think), but I just watched.

Off-topic, but have you got a link to the trailer? A quick google search only turns up fan-made stuff compiled from S1 and S2 content.

Philemonite
2015-05-10, 03:02 PM
Well an reaction should follow an action. If the attack would connect ask the player how he wants to deal (the beowulf lungs at your troat. I dodge/parry/take the hit.), one roll,check success roll damage if nessesary, done. And since I brougth up the dark eye: Bravery should be a stat. Would fit the setting.

That absolutely kills any will to play in PbP format. Some kind of stance system would be easier to use, so you don't have to wait for reaction for every single action. For extra points it could also include teamwork.:smallamused:

Off-topic, but have you got a link to the trailer? A quick google search only turns up fan-made stuff compiled from S1 and S2 content.

Youtube it. It's blocked at work, so I can't give you the link right now.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-10, 03:03 PM
That absolutely kills any will to play in PbP format. Some kind of stance system would be easier to use, so you don't have to wait for reaction for every single action. For extra points it could also include teamwork.:smallamused:

A combo-heavy ToB-inspired combat system might work well, but would take quite a bit of homebrewing to assemble.

Youtube it. It's blocked at work, so I can't give you the link right now.

That's fine. PM me the link when you're able to (or post it here so others can watch it too), if it's not too much trouble :smallbiggrin:

Kantaki
2015-05-10, 03:10 PM
I admit that I thougt more along the lines of traditional tabletop games. But in a pbp game you can post if this happens during X turn I do y.

Philemonite
2015-05-10, 03:20 PM
A combo-heavy ToB-inspired combat system might work well, but would take quite a bit of homebrewing to assemble.

All I know about ToB is that it's supposed to make non-casters actually comparable to casters and 99.99% DM's run screaming when someone mentions it. I have no idea how it actually works.

That's fine. PM me the link when you're able to (or post it here so others can watch it too), if it's not too much trouble :smallbiggrin:

Sure, no problem.

I admit that I thougt more along the lines of traditional tabletop games. But in a pbp game you can post if this happens during X turn I do y.

But that can put the DM in tough position, being forced to do what the player said even if it actively harms the party or wait for the player to react.
A stance that can only be changed during your turn that dictates your reaction could be interesting. I think.

Xhosant
2015-05-10, 03:48 PM
All I know about ToB is that it's supposed to make non-casters actually comparable to casters and 99.99% DM's run screaming when someone mentions it. I have no idea how it actually works.

Word is, they're T3, so good, if it doesn't feel too magic-ey for you, plus there's the biggest errata misslip conceivable involved, and that hurts a tad. But, I'll let you know :P

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-10, 04:13 PM
The Tome of Battle system introduces four types of abilities:

Stances: always-on effects that grant passive bonuses (Scent, a bonus on jump checks, two five-foot steps instead of one, etc); you can only have one active at a time.

Strikes: standard action 1/encounter abilities that have various effects, usually tied to a melee attack (deal ability damage or apply a condition on hit, grant allies a bonus against the damaged target, heal yourself on a successful hit, etc).

Boosts: swift action 1/encounter abilities that have various effects (attacks deal bonus energy damage for one round, move as a swift action, etc).

Counters: immediate action 1/encounter abilities that are used in response to something someone else does (e.g. use a concentration check in place of a save, reroll a missed attack with an extra bonus, etc).

Generally, it buffs martial characters a bunch (by introducing classes that do their job better), and gives them options other than "full attack" or "charge and single attack". Makes combat much more dynamic and varied, and definitely feels more anime-ish. Some of the maneuvers get pretty pseudo-magical (teleportation, the aforementioned healing/energy damage, etc).

BRKNdevil
2015-05-10, 05:33 PM
OK, the beginning half of this conversation started sounding like it would be better off with anything more pointed towards rules light or at least soft such as FATE, HERO, or the Cortex Plus or its offshoot to the newish wearing the cape rpg rather then anything for a d20 system

Xhosant
2015-05-10, 05:36 PM
OK, the beginning half of this conversation started sounding like it would be better off with anything more pointed towards rules light or at least soft such as FATE, HERO, or the Cortex Plus or its offshoot to the newish wearing the cape rpg rather then anything for a d20 system

Mind you, it would run on a d20, just one heavily borrowing features from other systems. Formula-based character building, tick mechanics and cinematic bonuses on a d20 should be functional.

Philemonite
2015-05-11, 03:37 AM
Stances: always-on effects that grant passive bonuses (Scent, a bonus on jump checks, two five-foot steps instead of one, etc); you can only have one active at a time.

Definitely worth stealing taking inspiration from.

It can still be anything, we are just throwing random ideas to see what sticks.:smallwink:

Mind you, it would run on a d20, just one heavily borrowing features from other systems. Formula-based character building, tick mechanics and cinematic bonuses on a d20 should be functional.

I would prefer to substitute d20 with 3d6, to tone down luck effect. There's more to playing then just throwing bones.:smallwink:

Xhosant
2015-05-11, 06:54 PM
Enlightenment came to find me, just had my most RWBY-like game experience and in a pbp no less (though playing a warforged warblade may have played a role).

Simply put, our GM had us on 1-on-1 spars, so 2 turns took the form of a back-to-back exchange with the DM.

So here's what I think you need. Rounds happen in 'shots'. Assume, for example, that Blake attacks Roman on her turn. Now, a number of her blows and received counterattacks, or more simply put, a number of 'turns' (in typical terms) of the two, constitute a single turn, and happen before the next combatant's move. As her turn ends, she's repelled (or repels Roman) and Wukong leaps in for his turn. Cases where Roman is double-teamed by Wukong and Blake (and which would require a high level of mechanical skill on the two's behalf) is a case where the two take their turn together, going in a round manner between GM, player A and player B.

Now, an idea to implement that (albeit for face-to-face game only, and this exact mechanic would only run for close-quarters combat between similarly-sized enemies) would be to:

Have the two sides declare actions in turns and quick succession, recording them in some non-time-consuming manner. This goes for a specific amount of 'steps', with each action being a simple (yet stated) move in the character's repertoire (like 'wide left-right scythe cut' or 'recoil-assisted pull cut'). No looking at notes at this time (at least for players, and GM might want to make it take no time for himself).

Then the declared steps are resolved in turn by the GM in a 'battle for ticks' manner, where each attack costs some ticks, 'deals' some ticks of damage, affects special circumstances and so on. As the sides vie for a 'head start' in ticks, the side that achieves this strikes with the move that made it, dealing specified Aura damage. Then there's also the issue of switch-outs (a.k.a. the next character's turn) where half-progress of the ally, or a successful attack from the enemy, would set them at a head start.

... i swear this looks more complicated than it is.

Milo v3
2015-05-12, 12:12 AM
I've been in a RWBY game that used Mutants and Masterminds for the rules. Played a girl with time-stopping semblance and a giant mechanical key-mace.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-12, 12:39 AM
I've been in a RWBY game that used Mutants and Masterminds for the rules. Played a girl with time-stopping semblance and a giant mechanical key-mace.

Hm. Having played that system, it actually would work pretty darn well for RWBY. Thanks for bringing it up.

DedWards
2015-05-12, 08:38 AM
RWBY is quite flashy with its effects, etc. So I think a more cinematic system (like Mutants and Masterminds) would be the best approach to achieving a decent / awesome RWBY system. My group uses M&M 3E most of the time, and we hardly ever use a grid anymore.

I do like the idea of a skill tree based system, but it should be done in a way to encourage cross tree skill picks. Maybe design them in a way that bonuses are active while using both skills from the same and from different trees.

On a side note, I made a character in M&M that's a sniper, but the rifle can transform into a gunblade with a Vibroblade effect. I hope to get to use her soon :D

vasharanpaladin
2015-05-12, 03:43 PM
...See, this is why I disclaimed my input by saying the core mechanics don't matter. Everyone's got their own ideas of what's best in that regard. :smalltongue:

BRKNdevil
2015-05-13, 04:50 PM
meh, overall, i think rwby would be fine with anything that is classless and more towards rules light, because that way you can go for all the cinematic awesomeness. my suggestions pretty much reflect that while being able to be bent toward visual representation and some dice rolling. I just don't think d20 would work because i have the connotation that it will be a class rigid sort of thing. If there is a classless d20 system, then i just didn't know about it.

Milo v3
2015-05-13, 06:31 PM
meh, overall, i think rwby would be fine with anything that is classless and more towards rules light, because that way you can go for all the cinematic awesomeness. my suggestions pretty much reflect that while being able to be bent toward visual representation and some dice rolling. I just don't think d20 would work because i have the connotation that it will be a class rigid sort of thing. If there is a classless d20 system, then i just didn't know about it.

Mutants and Masterminds is classless, allows for cinematic awesomeness, and allows for any technology, semblances, or grimm you want to make. So it's a d20 system that would probably work as well as the non-d20 rules light systems that have been suggested.