PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Secret Wars

Tal_Akaan
2015-05-10, 03:16 PM
So, I'm not a big comics reader, but I am a fan and am interested in reading this series...

but I don't have any background on the event.

Marvel has "Secret Wars Prelude" for $17. Is it a good primer to get brought up to speed? If not what should I get, so I understand enough so I'm not lost when I start reading Secret Wars?

t209
2015-05-10, 03:17 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?413257-Secret-Wars-(May-6th)
Well, you can discuss the event on this thread.

Tal_Akaan
2015-05-11, 10:32 AM
Thanks, but that thread of yours doesn't really answer my question.

Thrudd
2015-05-11, 11:08 PM
It depends on how "up to speed" you want to be. You could read Jonathan Hickman's complete Avengers and New Avengers which lead directly into the secret wars, 44 issues of avengers and 33 issues of New Avengers. Or at least the "time runs out" issues that are the immediate precursor events, avengers 35-44 and new avengers 24-33.

I think the prelude collection will give you the very very basics, but a lot happens with those characters between the issues in the prelude and the actual event, so their relationships and points of view might not exactly follow. It is nice that it collects sone of the ultimate side of things as well, though again very few issues that may not explain a whole lot.

We'll have to wait until secret wars is over to know how much prior material was really needed to make sense of it. After I've had a chance to read the first issue I should have some idea.

Edit: update
I've read the first two issues of secret wars. I would say you definitely want to read Avengers/New Avengers "Time Runs Out" first. Secret Wars #1 picks up directly where New Avengers #33 and Avengers #44 ends.