PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need Help Building an Emperor

Krazyguy75
2015-05-10, 04:51 PM
Hello. I'm building an emperor for one of my campaigns. The campaign is allowed to use anything from 3.0, 3.5 and pathfinder, except there is no spellcasting (but supernatural abilities that aren't blatantly magic are fine, and magic items are fine, as this is a powerful NPC [they are incredibly rare normally]). Basically, he is an asian-based epic level character (epic rules from 3.5 adapted to PF, not really a set max level rn, I don't intend for the PCs to fight him anytime soon) and he leads a massive fleet of ships in crusades, but most of the time he is just sitting at the middle of his fleet and does nothing.

However, I want him to be incredibly powerful when challenged, and I want his fighting style to be based around ignoring anyone "unworthy" and shrugging off their attempts and not even fighting them, and using TWF to beat down anyone that he judges to be worthy. But I don't know what feats, class variants, magic items, etc to give him.

Does anyone have some good ideas on what to give him?

Honest Tiefling
2015-05-10, 04:55 PM
Asia is sorta a big place, and my sources tell me that it's existed for quite a while. Can you tell us what time and place in Asia you were thinking of?

And if it is remotely anything like China, then why not have dragons protecting him? If something is unworthy of his attention, get one of his advisers to shapeshift out of human form and into big ol' dragon form to deal with it. While he recites a poem or plays an instrument of course, he might be an invading force, but he isn't uncultured like these barbarians!

Krazyguy75
2015-05-10, 05:17 PM
Asia is sorta a big place, and my sources tell me that it's existed for quite a while. Can you tell us what time and place in Asia you were thinking of?

And if it is remotely anything like China, then why not have dragons protecting him? If something is unworthy of his attention, get one of his advisers to shapeshift out of human form and into big ol' dragon form to deal with it. While he recites a poem or plays an instrument of course, he might be an invading force, but he isn't uncultured like these barbarians!

Basically, I was just saying you can use all the east Asian stuff from books, cause the nation is kinda mixed Japan/China. And about turning into dragons, well... that's already one of his DM granted special unique powers. But thank you for the idea, probably should have mentioned it, but that's only a thing he'd do if someone forced him to. In fact, most people don't even know he can do that.

But yeah, more than special powers, what I need for him are the raw stats: class levels, feats, and magic items. Unstructured ideas are nice and all, but I feel like I should have something to go off of first :smallsmile:

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-05-10, 06:05 PM
Hmm. Your description either calls to mind some sort of Samurai (I'm sure there's an Order that has the challenge ability make it similar to what you want), but also the Imperious bloodline for Sorcerer has some interesting self-buffs and abilities.

Hrugner
2015-05-10, 06:13 PM
Assuming he'd have loads of people with him, a daring champion:cavalier, order of the lion, with a very high dex and charisma. Make one of his teamwork feats "improved feint partner" so he can grant it to all his allies, feint against a target, and grant each of his allies within striking distance an attack of opportunity. If the target isn't immediately cut down by the guards, the guards can each feint on their turn (even those out of melee range) granting the emperor an attack of opportunity for each feint. Then make the other one he grants "outflank" so crits from the guards grant him additional attacks of opportunity, as he grants attacks of opportunity to them.

This isn't the most powerful sort of build, but if you want his command over his people to be his main strength I think this is a good way to go about it. You're also saved the cliche of the "end boss" being all powerful without any help.

FocusWolf413
2015-05-10, 06:28 PM
Have you checked out Tome of Battle or Path of War? Tome of Battle has the Warblade, which would give you a fantastically powerful, but still balanced, melee opponent. It could do TWF or THF equally well. Also, Iron Heart Surge allows people to ignore effects.

Demidos
2015-05-10, 07:01 PM
Does anyone have some good ideas on what to give him?

I would suggest maxxing the intimidate skill and looking through the fear handbook to demonstrate his enormous presence. Some feats like frightful presence, etc, might help to make the point. People faint just coming into his presence. The idea of him having dragon bodyguards is also quite helpful in this regard.

Fighter 21 :smallbiggrin:

With fearbased effects, the dungeon crasher and zhentarim fighter ACFs, and some item-optimization knowhow, this can be quite scary if you know what you're doing.

If you play with partial gestalt rules (basically lower tiers can gestalt, higher tiers cant), then you can get a very scary build. Alternate Feat rogue and fighter and toss in alignment paladin, rogue, monk, warlock and hexblade dips plus spiked chain, you can end up making a guy who threatens an 80+ foot radius, ANYTHING (even 5 ft steps and defensively cast spells) within the area provokes, and who also has his charisma to saves, to hit, and to ac, sometimes multiple times. Theres more, but that really has nothing to do with your request other than horribly scary.

On a more serious note: Bard 21+ -- Sounds unorthodox, but he has epic spellcasting, incredibly charismatic, incredibly intimidating, can inspire insane power in his men with a few choice words, and with the right build can just be incredibly awesome in general. What's more, since this guy is an emperor and one of the most powerful humans in the setting, dont be afraid to go all out and abuse the diplomacy rules. This guy talks dragons into serving him as doormats, and whats more, they fight over the privilege. THAT'S the sort of power he has.

Edit: If you decide to focus on the fear aspect and like the idea of a bard, the Fear Handbook (easily googled) contains quite a few strong builds based off bards, many with fear immunity piercing (important at higher levels).

Yukitsu
2015-05-10, 07:42 PM
One of the first things to consider or think about, the Chinese Emperors were the administrative heart of the nation, they were typically bureaucratic and their strengths would be in leadership and administration. The Chinese Emperor was expected to fail within several generations after losing the mandate of heaven and so they were concerned with worldly and practical issues, as if they did not rule well, they would be overthrown. Something like a knowledge focused bard thinking about leadership, charisma and administrative and Confucian knowledge would be the ideal build.

In Japan, the Emperors were figureheads. They held no administrative or military power. They are best known for their contributions to the culture and arts of Japan. In Japan, the Emperors were considered a point of spiritual stability. The Emperor and his imperial line was expected to remain unbroken even when the entire country was in turmoil and no matter how bad civil unrest got. As they would never be deposed and as they had no real power, their concerns were religious and not worldly. Something like an Oracle or Cleric would be possible.

In other words, even if the nation is a sort of melange of Japan and China, at least on the issue of the Emperors of each, they couldn't be more different, and neither produced too many martial Emperors. There were several in China, but it's not what I think they are known for. I would first define whether the Emperor would follow the Chinese Mandate of Heaven, or would be following the Japanese submission to military localism.

Krazyguy75
2015-05-10, 10:13 PM
Thank you all for your help! This will help me a lot to get a good foundation built.

Just a little reminder, since I didn't emphasize it well enough: This is a no spellcasting setting. Magic items exist, but are rare. Supernatural abilities are OK, so long as they aren't blatantly magic. So... no bards unfortunately, unless someone knows of a place to find a non-spellcasting bard variant.

EDIT: Also, since you asked, it'd be more of a chinese emperor in style, as he is a military leader.

Arutema
2015-05-10, 10:24 PM
One of the first things to consider or think about, the Chinese Emperors were the administrative heart of the nation, they were typically bureaucratic and their strengths would be in leadership and administration. The Chinese Emperor was expected to fail within several generations after losing the mandate of heaven and so they were concerned with worldly and practical issues, as if they did not rule well, they would be overthrown. Something like a knowledge focused bard thinking about leadership, charisma and administrative and Confucian knowledge would be the ideal build.

In Japan, the Emperors were figureheads. They held no administrative or military power. They are best known for their contributions to the culture and arts of Japan. In Japan, the Emperors were considered a point of spiritual stability. The Emperor and his imperial line was expected to remain unbroken even when the entire country was in turmoil and no matter how bad civil unrest got. As they would never be deposed and as they had no real power, their concerns were religious and not worldly. Something like an Oracle or Cleric would be possible.

In other words, even if the nation is a sort of melange of Japan and China, at least on the issue of the Emperors of each, they couldn't be more different, and neither produced too many martial Emperors. There were several in China, but it's not what I think they are known for. I would first define whether the Emperor would follow the Chinese Mandate of Heaven, or would be following the Japanese submission to military localism.

True. If you're looking for a historical empire to base him on, the 13th century Mongol Empire (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genghis_Khan) may be your best bet.

How high epic are we talking here? I like the previously mentioned idea of a daring champion cavalier. Give him high enough Dex, combat reflexes, and signature deed: opportune parry and riposte, and have him effortlessly parry the attacks of any opponent he deems unworthy while commanding his guards to dispose of them.

TheEmperor
2015-05-10, 10:47 PM
I would honestly suggest figuring out a way of replicating Dynasty Warriors, because I'm guessing that's exactly the kind of thing you're going for. However, I'm useless here in that I'm not quite sure how to achieve that myself. Presumably, go for the Maneuver using stuff, grab oversized TWF, and go crazy. Tiger Claw is recommended.

Yukitsu
2015-05-10, 11:01 PM
Thank you all for your help! This will help me a lot to get a good foundation built.

Just a little reminder, since I didn't emphasize it well enough: This is a no spellcasting setting. Magic items exist, but are rare. Supernatural abilities are OK, so long as they aren't blatantly magic. So... no bards unfortunately, unless someone knows of a place to find a non-spellcasting bard variant.

EDIT: Also, since you asked, it'd be more of a chinese emperor in style, as he is a military leader.

Referring a bit less to the actual class, more to the archetypes which don't need to actually be magic. A Chinese Emperor was expected to know the Confucian classics and to rule with those principles, so they fit the archetype pretty well.

Narrowing it down in that way, there's a big difference among the different time periods within dynasties in China. There's also differences in the different dynasties, but there are some definite patterns. Ultimately, I'd probably make the build be a normal soldier or general's build for whatever era you plan on setting it in. Most militant Emperors were new Emperors, they were ones that had to use military might to unite China back into a solid whole. Once it had been united, their sons needed to administer and delegate. Once the administration had been taken care of, typically something would happen, the empire would fall apart and the cycle starts over, so it would be appropriate if the Empire had a background as a normal soldier or officer. Obviously he can be super powered because it's fantasy, but what a normal or noble soldier would be depends on the era. Very early China, they would be an archer in a chariot and have a build appropriate to that. Later, a cavalryman, and very late, a swordman who doesn't actually often engage in combat, focusing on esoteric techniques and martial arts. The first could be something like a ranger, the mid era something like a paladin or cavalier with archery skills and the last would be something like a warblade.

(Un)Inspired
2015-05-11, 12:40 AM
How about a psion with share pain and vigor. He can essentially ignore any physical attack that does kill him outright.

When he finds someone he deams worthy have him metamorphosis into the different animals of the Chinese zodiac to smack the carp out of them.