PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Anyone familiar with Cerulean Seas? Waves of Thought Aquanaut class question.

EisenKreutzer
2015-05-10, 04:55 PM
I'm re-reading my favourite Pathfinder campaign setting of all time, Cerulean Seas, and I noticed something a little off in Waves of Thought.

The Aquanaut class says in it's description that the Aquanaut gains two Mutations at level 1, and a new mutation every even numbered level thereafter (2, 4, 6 etc.).
However, in the class summary sidebar the Aquanaut appears to get more Mutations than the description says it should, gaining additional Mutations at lvl 5, 9, 13, and 17.

Am I missing something, or is there an error here? And if there is an error, which version should I go with? I'm assuming there could be balance issues if I pick the wrong one as then"right" answer.

EisenKreutzer
2015-05-11, 09:45 PM
Bumping this in the hopes that someone who knows and loves Cerulean Seas sees this.

I also have another question about a Cerulean Seas class, the Mariner:
The Swim Stunt Dive and Rise says that the Mariner can alter his buouyancy by +/-100 once per day, but doesn't say for how long. I'm assuming it's for one turn, but I'm really not sure if I'm correct.

All this could have been avoided by a simple FAQ, but it seems like Alluria Publishing is too busy struggling to keep their head above water (pun intended) to offer support for their products, excellent though they are.

Ssalarn
2015-05-14, 01:12 PM
I'm re-reading my favourite Pathfinder campaign setting of all time, Cerulean Seas, and I noticed something a little off in Waves of Thought.

The Aquanaut class says in it's description that the Aquanaut gains two Mutations at level 1, and a new mutation every even numbered level thereafter (2, 4, 6 etc.).
However, in the class summary sidebar the Aquanaut appears to get more Mutations than the description says it should, gaining additional Mutations at lvl 5, 9, 13, and 17.

Am I missing something, or is there an error here? And if there is an error, which version should I go with? I'm assuming there could be balance issues if I pick the wrong one as then"right" answer.

At levels 5, 9, 13, and 17, the Aquanaut gains an additional Phylum, which comes with a bonus mutation.

They didn't do a very good job of explaining it, but you can see the Phylum entries at each of those levels, and there's this line from their Transpose Mutation class feature:
"She may also trade out bonus mutations granted from obtaining a new phylum, provided she did not acquire them during the same level as the trade. She must, however, always have at least one mutation from each of her chosen phylum lists."

Bumping this in the hopes that someone who knows and loves Cerulean Seas sees this.

I also have another question about a Cerulean Seas class, the Mariner:
The Swim Stunt Dive and Rise says that the Mariner can alter his buouyancy by +/-100 once per day, but doesn't say for how long. I'm assuming it's for one turn, but I'm really not sure if I'm correct.

All this could have been avoided by a simple FAQ, but it seems like Alluria Publishing is too busy struggling to keep their head above water (pun intended) to offer support for their products, excellent though they are.

We've always treated the effect as lasting for the duration of their turn. Here's the parallel power from their land-based Mariner conversion, the Marauder:

"Burst (Ex): A marauder with this ability may use a
swift action to gain +10 feet speed on their next
movement. The stunt is useable once per day. This
stunt may be taken more than once, either adding +10
feet per selection or one more use per day."

That ability lasts for basically the length of one movement, and has close to the same mechanical effect on land that Rise and Dive has underwater.

EisenKreutzer
2015-05-14, 03:26 PM
Thank you so much for clearing this up!

Ssalarn
2015-05-14, 04:13 PM
Thank you so much for clearing this up!

I do what I can
:D