PDA

View Full Version : lazy mans character sheet. is there such a thing?

bjoern
2015-05-10, 05:27 PM
I'm not much of a tech guy, but is there app that looks like a character sheet but let's me select race/class/ PRC class etc from menus and fills in all the numbers, skills, feats, calculations , synergies etc.
Something that does all the cross referencing for me. If I write ring of protection +1 on the item page it will add it to the front page under armor class.
Also would have the ability to recognize if I make an invalid entry such as taking a feat without all The prerequisites met and stuff like that.

I like pouring through dozens of books at a time but being able to do the same thing while on a bus or plane killing time would be great.

Thanks

Phantom Monk
2015-05-10, 06:56 PM
You might want to check out Heroforge Anew. It is a program that is constantly updated and has most 3.5 rulebooks in it. You need Microsoft Excel to use it, but in my opinion it is quite worth it. You can do exactly as you described, and it will auto qualify you for skills, feats, and PrCs.

Hrugner
2015-05-10, 07:02 PM
Not that I've found. I started roughing out charts to make something like that, but there's a common irregularity in the rules that makes organizing that chart tedious. Too often a value will be set, increased, decreased, or changed too a specific number and the rules don't always clarify which one or for how long(turn, round, action, attack, attack action etc.). Then there's the problem with duration for prerequisites and modifiers, "does martial flexibility knock one feat off of a prerequisite chain" or "are feat prerequisites the feat or the effect of the feat" that sort of thing. It'll always be cumbersome until the rules are written out in a mathy way rather than a method meant to interpret intent.

edit: though I will check out this hero forge thing, I'm new around here so handed seen it before.

d20 Miscreant
2015-06-16, 01:42 PM
I'm a personal fan of Hero Lab: http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab

They apparently have an iPad app, hopefully they'll port one over to Android.

Evolved Shrimp
2015-06-16, 02:13 PM
Depending on what you want, PCGen might be useful. You can find it at pcgen.org.

torrasque666
2015-06-16, 02:14 PM
Depending on what you want, PCGen might be useful. You can find it at pcgen.org.
If you want only OGL stuff, yeah.