PDA

View Full Version : Creating magic items in Gritty Realism?

SaibenLocke
2015-05-10, 06:48 PM
Magic Item Creation says that you have to spend a spell slot every day you are crafting. So in Gritty Realism optional rule, does that mean that you can't make magic items except for the days you have the spell? Say for instance the player 15th lvl wanted to make a Ring of Arcane Gate, 6th lvl spell, would it take almost 4 years to make? Just making sure I am reading that right. That is assuming the DM says the ring would be a rare item.

Ralanr
2015-05-10, 06:55 PM
Sounds gritty and realistic to me. Magic items would be crazy rare and considered more powerful due to lack of comparison.

BranMan
2015-05-10, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that seems like an unexpected aspect of the gritty realism variant, it makes magic items harder to make and makes it worth more when a magic item is found

Joe the Rat
2015-05-11, 09:20 AM
Is that four years based on three days of crafting per tenday? You have 6th, 7th, and 8th level slots to use up before your week's recovery.

That still extends the build time, but that might be fitting for gritty. Simpler magic items still crank out fairly quickly, so it would push the would-be artificer more towards consumables than permanent goodies. True Items of Power will take a long time to create, which may make searching out ancient relics a better option. It also means the true masters of artifice will be Warlocks, but only up to 5th level effects, with Sorcerers a distant second.

But let's say you don't want to make item crafting a multi-season project. How would you adjust the magic item crafting to account for the longer recovery of those needed spell slots?

SaibenLocke
2015-05-11, 09:45 AM
Is that four years based on three days of crafting per tenday? You have 6th, 7th, and 8th level slots to use up before your week's recovery.

That still extends the build time, but that might be fitting for gritty. Simpler magic items still crank out fairly quickly, so it would push the would-be artificer more towards consumables than permanent goodies. True Items of Power will take a long time to create, which may make searching out ancient relics a better option. It also means the true masters of artifice will be Warlocks, but only up to 5th level effects, with Sorcerers a distant second.

But let's say you don't want to make item crafting a multi-season project. How would you adjust the magic item crafting to account for the longer recovery of those needed spell slots?

According to RAW you have to spend the spell slot. Doesn't say you can expand a higher spell slot. So that is what I was basing it off of. I don't mind the length of the process.