PDA

View Full Version : Arcane spells for a Cleric (Iron Kingdom)

oldkingkoal
2015-05-10, 06:55 PM
Hullo. I recently joined an Iron Kingdom game as a cloistered cleric of Cyriss. I will soon be taking a PrC called Preceptor of Cyriss, which on every other level gives you the option to add 2 arcane spells to the list of spells you can prepare. My question is about how it does not specify the sor/wiz spell list, just that the spell is arcane. So would that mean that I could take something like the bard spell Glibness, as that would be considered arcane right?
Also, does any one have any recommendations as far as useful arcane spells that a divine caster usually does not have access to? My focus for this character at the moment is buffing and support spells, but I am open to other suggestions.

PseudoPanda
2015-05-10, 07:39 PM
From what I can tell from what your saying it does sound like it can be any arcane spell from any list but if you have the exact text that would be helpful.

The spells that come to mind that are usually uncommon for a cleric to have that will help make your friends strong are polymorph, haste, and heroics. Celerity is a good one to have in general.

GilesTheCleric
2015-05-11, 02:38 AM
Off the top of my head, the only spells a cleric misses (that it doesn't have less-powerful versions of from other lists) are more variety in non-personal buffs, spells that grant a swim speed, teleport (because burning two Plane Shifts to go somewhere is frustrating), and polymorphing. Most other spells clerics can approximate or duplicate with non-Miracle spells.

Edit: It doesn't get things like mind blank, celerity, or time stop from the default list, but most of the really good high-level wiz spells are available from domains. If you don't already have those domains, picking up lesser/celerity and mind blank would also be good picks.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-05-11, 04:34 AM
It depends on the rest of your build. You can get any Abjuration, Divination and Necromancy spell from the wizard list with the Divine Magician ACF (CM).
You can get any arcane spells of up to 5th level if you have access to the Spell domain via (Greater) Anyspell (SpC), though only once/day so it's best for spells that are only occassionally useful.

You can also get access to spells not normally on the cleric list from your domains, of which you can easily gain 4-5 or even more. Substitute Domain (CC) also allows you to temporarily switch to any domain your god gives you access to.

So that leaves us with arcane spells that are 6th level or higher, not Abjuration, Divination or Necromancy from the wizard list and not on any of the domain lists of your god.

Bard and Wu Jen spells are a pretty good bet here. Snowsong (Frostburn), Nixie's Grace (SpC), Empyreal Ecstasy (BoED), Fanfare (S&S), Body outside Body (CArc), Giant Size (CArc), Cloud Chariot (CArC) are some useful picks, as are any of the standard high-level wizard spells like Time Stop, Ice Assassin and various other spells that don't fall into the above conditions.

oldkingkoal
2015-05-11, 08:35 AM
Honestly I didn't really plan out my build all that well. I was mainly asking about spell selection, but the build as it stands uses the travel, knowledge, and mechanika (IK specific) domains. For feats I went with the ranged feat chain (point blank shot, precise shot, and zen archery) to give him some things to do when not casting and giving any ranged touch attacks a boost. As well as Brew potion (potions and alchemy are kind of a big thing in IK. Huge restrictions on healing and magic items for that setting).