PDA

View Full Version : How did you like the character sheets?

darkscizor
2015-05-10, 08:33 PM
I have used a lot of character sheets for 5e since starting to play when it came out, and there's only one that I was dissatisfied with- the standard 5e character sheet. I think that the area for attacks and spellcasting was too small, and I like having a better area for items than the one on the character sheet-s first page, something with items laid out in a better format (item name/item damage and description/item weight), which I've found makes a lot more sense than an empty space and alllows for easier inventory managing. What do you think about their character sheets?

ChubbyRain
2015-05-10, 09:05 PM
I've started putting all my info on an index card and gone away from character sheets.

Simple and elegant, plus doesn't take up that much space at a gaming table.

Giant2005
2015-05-10, 10:13 PM
If you use your character sheets electronically or print them out physically, your experiences will probably be quite different.
I use mine electronically which means I don't have the same space issues others might have with a physical copy (each section is infinite and uses scroll bars as necessary). With that in mind, I find the official character sheets to be superior to almost everything else I have tried.
Everything else is either just way too congested to find things easily or missing key elements; but the official version has all of the required crunch on the first page where it is easily visible. One character sheet I have toyed with is imo of equal quality or perhaps even superior quality but I have not yet made the transition to using it as I haven't really found the need. There is also another homebrew character sheet which I have high hopes for which is an exact replica of the official version but it automatically calculates the variables such as total saves, skills attack modifiers and such. Yet it has some glaring flaws which will need to be fixed before it is fully functional.

Kane0
2015-05-10, 10:20 PM
The character sheets from the PhB I found by far the best, except for a slight niggle with box size for the equipment section and the order of money in it.

That said, I use a pdf version of it on my laptop so space isn/t usually a problem. The good news is that I don/t need to make spreadsheet for new players so they can actually understand everything, the standard sheet works very well.

Easy_Lee
2015-05-10, 10:24 PM
Personally, I'd be very happy to have my character sheet (and, ideally, my PHB) on my Kindle Fire when I play, but I haven't found a good app for it yet. I guess I could use a different tablet, but most of them are too big, too proprietary, and too expensive.

I'm not too picky about character sheets, though I did make something custom early on just to condense everything to two pages. I always print mine so that I can use a nicely printed picture (my artistic skills leave much to be desired).

ChubbyRain
2015-05-10, 10:47 PM
Here is a recent rough draft of what I use for a character sheet.
http://s9.postimg.org/dx0sci7m7/IMG_20150510_232935.jpg

All items, languages, and proficiencies are listednon the back.

I have spell and ability cards so I don't have to write down abilities and spells each time.

I still keep the phb near by... But I try not to have it around as much.

Chaosvii7
2015-05-10, 10:54 PM
I used to be a freak for fitting character sheets on the smallest space possible. I've done it on index cards, those tiny notepads, even post-its. But to this day I prefer a 2-page sheet - I don't really use the fluff page from the PHB sheet, but otherwise the rest of it fits very well for me. I use a custom Warlock Spellcasting sheet for when I roll those up, and I'm good to go.

I am still of the less is more mentality with character sheets, but I also like an elegant looking sheet that displays everything in a neat fashion. I'm not a fan of the typical character sheet that just has a box of skill proficiencies - I use the alternate version with the skills sorted by ability score.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-10, 11:17 PM
I used to be a freak for fitting character sheets on the smallest space possible. I've done it on index cards, those tiny notepads, even post-its. But to this day I prefer a 2-page sheet - I don't really use the fluff page from the PHB sheet, but otherwise the rest of it fits very well for me. I use a custom Warlock Spellcasting sheet for when I roll those up, and I'm good to go.

I am still of the less is more mentality with character sheets, but I also like an elegant looking sheet that displays everything in a neat fashion. I'm not a fan of the typical character sheet that just has a box of skill proficiencies - I use the alternate version with the skills sorted by ability score.

Personally it isn't about less is more for me, but there are so many character sheets with weird designs or stuff that I just don't need as the main source of info.

Take the D&D main character sheet. What I don't need on it is...

Skills that I don't have prof in.
Personality, ideals, bonds, and flaws.
Other proficiencies.
Gold and equipment.
Features and traits being that big...

All of these is just wasted space on a sheet that should focus on the main aspect of d&d, battle. The sheet almost looks like it was made for a player to out down everything so that someone else can use it... Not so a PC can use it for themselves.

Skills I don't have prof in? Ability score mod.

Background and other info works great as lists on the back. I have it handy but it doesn't distract from the core of my character.

Man, I wish I could use excel or make PDFs well enough to make my own character sheet.

Easy_Lee
2015-05-10, 11:34 PM
I think that the skills section being that way is more of a holdover from 3.5e than anything. Back then, all of the different untyped bonuses, racial bonuses, skill synergies, and so on meant that you might have different numbers for every skill. These days, all you really need to know is proficiency, stat, mod, and expertise. Everything can be accomplished by writing out proficient skills next to each stat and using a different color / highlight for expertise. Ex:

Disroguehere the Rogue
PROF: +3

STR
14 (+2)
Athletics

DEX
18 (+4)
Sleight of Hand, Stealth

CON
14 (+2)

INT
8 (-1)

WIS
10 (+0)
Perception

CHA
12 (+1)
Deception, Persuasion

ChubbyRain
2015-05-10, 11:46 PM
I think that the skills section being that way is more of a holdover from 3.5e than anything. Back then, all of the different untyped bonuses, racial bonuses, skill synergies, and so on meant that you might have different numbers for every skill. These days, all you really need to know is proficiency, stat, mod, and expertise. Everything can be accomplished by writing out proficient skills next to each stat and using a different color / highlight for expertise. Ex:

Disroguehere the Rogue
PROF: +3

STR
14 (+2)
Athletics

DEX
18 (+4)
Sleight of Hand, Stealth

CON
14 (+2)

INT
8 (-1)

WIS
10 (+0)
Perception

CHA
12 (+1)
Deception, Persuasion

Yeah there was a 5e sheet the was modeled after a 4e sheet in which the ability scores were on the left side and under each ability score (and mod) there was each skill that went with that ability. Even had different bubbles (square, diamond, and circle I think) to show proficiency, expertise, and half proficiency.

Really concise and neat.

I wish I could find that sheet again.

I just think the 3/4 e cluster of skills is way too clunky.

Samuel Sturm
2015-05-11, 12:38 AM
Yeah there was a 5e sheet the was modeled after a 4e sheet in which the ability scores were on the left side and under each ability score (and mod) there was each skill that went with that ability. Even had different bubbles (square, diamond, and circle I think) to show proficiency, expertise, and half proficiency.

Really concise and neat.

I wish I could find that sheet again.

I just think the 3/4 e cluster of skills is way too clunky.

Here is the download link. http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/5E_CHARACTERSHEETSV3.ZIP You want the file labeled Character Sheet - Alternative.