PDA

View Full Version : An odd request...

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-04-19, 02:18 PM
If any of you have the time and/or knowledge of the source material, I would be most interested to see how you stat the following items for D&D:

The Great Fairy Sword, from LOZ: Majora's Mask
The Rainbow Katana, from Chrono Trigger
Brotherhood, from Final Fantasy X
The Buster Sword, from Final Fantasy VII
The Atma Sword, from Final Fantasy VI
Anduril/Narsil, from the Lord of the Rings.

I plan for my party to encounter a collector of legendary swords one of these days, and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding how to make these work in D&D. Any suggestions? I'm assuming they're all of vaguely comparable power.

DaMullet
2007-04-19, 02:29 PM
Narsil would likely be at least +3, as well as bestowing Improved Sunder on it's wielder. I think they said it was made of Elven steel, so Mithra[i]l.

Definitely Holy, though.

Lapak
2007-04-19, 02:36 PM
The Atma Sword, from Final Fantasy VIThis one would be interesting. I suppose it would have to have some kind of power that scaled with the user's HP or hit dice.

HealytheHealslime
2007-04-19, 02:45 PM

The special ability for this one was improved chance of crits right? If so, the keen special ability would be a good choice.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-19, 02:56 PM
I haven't played most of these games, but I think Chrono's sword can be described as a powerful katana (maybe +5?) that can deal an ultrajeous amount of critical hits. Like, 6-20/x2 (75% chance), not affected by Improved Critical. Besides having 3 crits at every 4 attacks, that's not an artifact kind of weapon like most of the others, just a very powerful epic sword.

Tellah
2007-04-19, 03:07 PM
I strongly recommend that you peruse Weapons of Legacy, especially for weapons that gain ability as their wielders grow. And, from one Square fan to another, I must also recommend that you pick up the Magic Item Compendium, which includes a materia (!) system.

Telonius
2007-04-19, 03:14 PM
Narsil, keen mithril longsword ... probably +3 ... possibly Axiomatic? I'd give it some extra special bumps if wielded by the true King. Ghost Touch and Flaming Burst.

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-04-19, 03:18 PM
I strongly recommend that you peruse Weapons of Legacy, especially for weapons that gain ability as their wielders grow. And, from one Square fan to another, I must also recommend that you pick up the Magic Item Compendium, which includes a materia (!) system.

Sounds very interesting...I'll have to pick it up sometime.

Vodun
2007-04-19, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty sure the Great Fairy Sword would be constructed out of very carefully extracted and condensed awesome.

The J Pizzel
2007-04-19, 04:58 PM
2 things

1. I would make Narsil a bastard sword, not a longsword.
2. The "materia" that you speak of from Magic Item Compendium is awesome. I highly recomend it.

my 2 copper crowns
jp

Assassinfox
2007-04-19, 05:02 PM
The Buster Sword would be a Fullblade from Arms and Equipment Guide.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-19, 05:05 PM
Caladbolg, from FF-X, has a direct copy in Weapons of Legacy already.

JackMage666
2007-04-19, 06:19 PM
More importantly, stat a Blitzball from FFX

Fax Celestis
2007-04-19, 06:24 PM
Throwing returning cannonball +1.

Lord Tataraus
2007-04-19, 06:56 PM
Narsil is a hand-and-a-half (a.k.a. Bastard) sword. It would also have the special power to rebuke undead if wielded by the true king.

I'd like to say add my voice to Magic Item Compendium rocks group. (go "materia")

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-19, 07:05 PM
I think Narsil's probably ghost touch, though that's just what I'm going on from the movie.

Wystrell
2007-04-19, 07:17 PM
Brotherhood? Isn't that the one Wakka gives you in the beginning that randomly gains +10% Water Damage, as well as other awesomeness, at some other point in the game?

Brotherhood wasn't the greatest sword... I'd give it a bonus against fire-based creatures, a personality all its own (roll 1d6 for attack bonus first - 3 is +0, 2 is -1, 4 is +1, etc; then roll for damage on a regular d20). I'm only saying roll for bonus because Brotherhood was only useful half of the time. Plus, rolling for the bonus gives added annoyance (yay evil DMs!).

Edit: Nevermind, I was obviously on drugs. Brotherhood has Waterstrike, Strength +10%, Strength +5% and Sensor. This still doesn't make it the greatest sword, because I'd definitely rather have Deathstrike or Sleepstrike; Waterstrike was a finicky stat. Strength +15% was fine, but I think an epic weapon should be higher than that. As for sensor... perhaps you get a knowledge check with a +5 on every monster you encounter? If you succeed, you get stats, BAB, damage reduction, the works.

Matthew
2007-04-19, 09:50 PM
Narsil is a hand-and-a-half (a.k.a. Bastard) sword. It would also have the special power to rebuke undead if wielded by the true king.

I'd like to say add my voice to Magic Item Compendium rocks group. (go "materia")
That's the movie version. It's not at all clear what kind of Swords Narsil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anduril) or Andúril are in the books, but more than likely they are single handed weapons (or D&D Long Swords), since Argaron takes up a shield at his arming prior to the Siege of Helm's Deep.

The J Pizzel
2007-04-19, 09:58 PM
Although I am basing my opinion, on Narsil being a bastard sword, on the movies, I do that becuase I agree with you that it doens't specify the size of it in the book and the movie is, at least, something to visualize. And as far as him taking up a shield, he coulda had Exotic Weapon Prof. Bastard Sword. Do not argue, my logic is flawless..................

(yes, I'm cutting a joke)

Misplaced_Jedi
2007-04-19, 10:37 PM
Anduril should definitely be flaming or flaming burst, if you reference its name (flame of the west) and the beginning of one of the last battles. I cant remember if its the fields or the gates, but it references it shining like a flame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anduril

This has the quotations for the Flaming quality. The one with the Orc helm might entail Flaming Burst.

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-04-19, 10:47 PM
Brotherhood? Isn't that the one Wakka gives you in the beginning that randomly gains +10% Water Damage, as well as other awesomeness, at some other point in the game?

Brotherhood wasn't the greatest sword... I'd give it a bonus against fire-based creatures, a personality all its own (roll 1d6 for attack bonus first - 3 is +0, 2 is -1, 4 is +1, etc; then roll for damage on a regular d20). I'm only saying roll for bonus because Brotherhood was only useful half of the time. Plus, rolling for the bonus gives added annoyance (yay evil DMs!).

Edit: Nevermind, I was obviously on drugs. Brotherhood has Waterstrike, Strength +10%, Strength +5% and Sensor. This still doesn't make it the greatest sword, because I'd definitely rather have Deathstrike or Sleepstrike; Waterstrike was a finicky stat. Strength +15% was fine, but I think an epic weapon should be higher than that. As for sensor... perhaps you get a knowledge check with a +5 on every monster you encounter? If you succeed, you get stats, BAB, damage reduction, the works.

I was going for their iconic weapons more than their ultimate ones, but yeah...perhaps I should use Caladbolg and Ultima instead of Brotherhood and the Buster Sword.

Thanks for all the responses thus far...also, any suggestions to add to this list?

Mewtarthio
2007-04-19, 10:49 PM
That's the movie version. It's not at all clear what kind of Swords Narsil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anduril) or Andúril are in the books, but more than likely they are single handed weapons (or D&D Long Swords), since Argaron takes up a shield at his arming prior to the Siege of Helm's Deep.

Now, I'm all in favor of staying true to the original source, but the book version is a bit... flashier. The PCs would appreciate that more.

---

OP: You'd probably want to consider asking this on homebrew.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-19, 10:58 PM
Sting maybe? +1 Dagger, orc & goblin bane + glows cold blue when its enemies are near, may be weilded by a small creature as if it was a small shortsword.

The weilder of Naarsil should get the improved sunder feat while weilding it, as well as it ignoring the hardness of an object.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-19, 11:43 PM
Hey, quick question: What is the materia in the Magic Item Compedium? I've only had a chance to browse it.

The J Pizzel
2007-04-20, 08:57 AM
Well, we're calling it "materia" becuase thats what it resembles. It is in fact, crystals that can be added to your weapons and armor to provide different types of bonuses and such.

Tellah
2007-04-20, 10:29 AM
Hey, quick question: What is the materia in the Magic Item Compedium? I've only had a chance to browse it.

They are called "Augment Crystals," and they allow players to swap out magical enhancements on weapons and armor with a move action. Because these enhancements are a flat cost and stack with regular enchantments, they represent a boost to the power and flexibility of fighter-type characters.

They give me a nerdgasm.

Ashdate
2007-04-20, 11:00 AM

As suggested, I'd make this a regular bastard sword +1 with some sort of special 'keen' ability. "6-20" is probably too ridiculous, but you could probably put it line with other +5 swords if it simply crit from "12-20" or something.

Brotherhood, from Final Fantasy X
How about a +1 longsword of frost? The ability to add a bonus to knowledge checks isn't a bad idea.

The Buster Sword, from Final Fantasy VII
I would just make this a large Greatsword.

The Atma Sword, from Final Fantasy VI
I'd make this a major artifact; it's ability would be to deal damage equal to your hitdice with each swing, with the caveat that you couldn't deal more damage than you yourself had HP. It's shape would change depending on the amount of hitpoints you had, but could be wielding as if it were a short sword.

- Eddie

Leush
2007-04-20, 11:15 AM
Atma weapon! I like that! I like suggestions so far, but I though it dealt damage depending on your health, so two possibilities:

Umm, Longsword +1 with another +1 for every hd the creature possesses.

However, I prefer, Longsword +1, with an extra +1 for every 10% of maximum hp that a creature currently has.

And it is an artifact, since barring the Ragnorak sword or the Illumina it's just about the most powerful ne in the game. Which makes me think of how someone would stat out the Atma monster...

silentknight
2007-04-20, 12:29 PM
Suggestions for other swords?

How about Stormbringer and Mourneblade from the Elric saga.

Sword of Truth from Sword of Truth series.

The Sword of Martin from the Redwall series.

Any of the Keyblades from Kingdom Hearts.

The sword that is not a sword from Wheel of Time.

Matthew
2007-04-20, 12:59 PM
Now, I'm all in favor of staying true to the original source, but the book version is a bit... flashier. The PCs would appreciate that more.
Do you mean 'the movie version is a bit... flashier'?

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-21, 01:18 PM
What about Excalibur?

Roderick_BR
2007-04-21, 03:55 PM
By what I read, Excalibur would be like a Holy Avenger. I'll have to read more into it. Note: In the original King Arthur story, there was not Excalibur, by what U heard about, so it can have different descriptions in different stories.

And since we're at it, how would the Master Sword from Legend of Zelda be? I have some ideas already, but I didn't play all the games.
Artifact: Long Sword (bastard?) +5(or more) Holy. Can use a move similar to a Spell Turning effect, can also dispell area spells, like a Holy Avenger. When the wielder is at full health (or more than 3/4), he can "slash" the air, making the blade shot a projectile of force/sonic with base damage equal to the sword's base damage + magical bonuses as a ranged attack.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-04-21, 04:31 PM
Excalibur would probably have some sort of strange bonus to bypassing DR and grants the wielder a substantial health regeneration rate. It was never, ever depicted as a holy sword. It was an extremely powerful and nigh unbreakable magic sword that protected those worthy enough to hold it and destroyed all the foes in it's path.

Matthew
2007-04-21, 04:46 PM
Note: In the original King Arthur story, there was not Excalibur, by what U heard about, so it can have different descriptions in different stories.
What is the original story you have in mind here?

Llewelyn
2007-04-21, 05:29 PM
They are called "Augment Crystals," and they allow players to swap out magical enhancements on weapons and armor with a move action. Because these enhancements are a flat cost and stack with regular enchantments, they represent a boost to the power and flexibility of fighter-type characters.

They give me a nerdgasm.

From this description it sounds more along the lines of Diablo 2's sockets and gems/runes, except with the addition of being able to remove them freely.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-21, 05:41 PM
What is the original story you have in mind here?

Good question.
There are a lot of excaliburs.