PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph options.

Metahuman1
2015-05-11, 07:21 AM
I'm a Sorcerer 5/Mage of the Arcane order 4 in my current game. We JUST leveled, and as my new 4th level spell known I picked up Polymorph. Need Suggestions for things I can turn into that are good for combat and scouting at this caster level. Thanks!

System is 3.5 D&D.

Segev
2015-05-11, 07:37 AM
A hydra gets as many heads as it has HD, and as many attacks in a standard (or full attack) action as it has heads, so that's a decent combat form for anybody engaging in melee.

prufock
2015-05-11, 07:44 AM
Yeah, hydras are always popular. Wyverns get flight, if you don't already have it, and poison. Griffons are flying pouncers. Dire lion is a regular pouncer. Remorhaz has swallow whole. Digesters get acid attacks. Umber hulks are... well, they're just cool. Treants are pretty good and have hands. Mind flayers can eat brains.

Will o' wisp is the gold standard for scouting, thanks to natural invisibility.

Karnith
2015-05-11, 05:45 PM
As far as combat forms go, Bladerager Troll (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20070705b&page=3) and Cave Troll (MM3, p. 177) are both pretty fun, as they each have 2 claws, a bite, Rend, Pounce, and respectable stats. Cave trolls additionally have Improved Grab, Rake, and Dazing Blow (yes, Cave Trolls are basically better in every way). Hydras are obviously great, though you should check with your DM as to whether Polymorph will be subject to the "within one size category of your normal size" limit of Alter Self.

Metahuman1
2015-05-11, 05:59 PM
Um, that link takes me to an error message.

Also, how many of these have 9 HD or fewer since I only have Caster Level 9 to go with?

Karnith
2015-05-11, 06:12 PM
Um, that link takes me to an error message.

Also, how many of these have 9 HD or fewer since I only have Caster Level 9 to go with?
Bladerager Trolls (that link works for me, so I'm not sure what the problem is!) have 6 HD and Cave Trolls have 9. You can take the form of a Hydra with up to 9 heads (assuming that you aren't limited by Alter Self's size restriction). Wyverns have 7 HD, Griffons have 7 HD, Dire Lions have 8 HD, Remorhaz have 7 HD, Digesters have 8 HD, Umber Hulks have 8 HD, Treants have 7 HD, Mind Flayers have 8 HD, and Will-O'-Wisps have 9 HD.

So everything suggested so far is in your ballpark.

Metahuman1
2015-05-11, 08:37 PM
Sweet! Now were cooking with gas!

Story
2015-05-11, 10:25 PM
I think there's a handbook of useful Polymorph forms out there somewhere.

Anyway, some other potentially useful forms - Rust Monster to destroy anything metal, Psthistic if you need to do int damage, and Cloaker for flight utility.

Also, if you have a small or medium elemental handy, you can turn them into a Thoqqua to dig tunnels.