PDA

View Full Version : 5E version of Saga Edition

Alejandro
2015-05-11, 09:21 AM
Like it says on the tin, I and some of my players are wanting to homebrew a 5E version of Saga Edition (Star Wars.) We haven't gotten past the conceptual stage; one thing we will likely do is retain the five classes (Noble, Scout, Soldier, Scoundrel, Jedi) and have a selection of Saga's prestige classes become the 'path' choices for these five classes, like 5E does.

Anyone who has done something like this or has suggestions, we would love to hear them.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-05-11, 09:27 AM
Oooh, this sounds really solid. Advantage/Disadvantage and Inspiration are really excellent concepts that could be used to excellent effect in Star Wars!

Alejandro
2015-05-11, 09:35 AM
It is my belief that some ideas from Saga were used in 5E design. The Hero Points optional system in the DMG is almost exactly Saga's Force Points system, for example.

Alejandro
2015-05-14, 12:39 PM
I guess I needed to be more specific if I hoped to get input. :)

Here's probably my biggest quandry: How to convert how the Force is handled in Saga Edition, to a 5E system. I was thinking that basic uses of the Force, like levitating a small object, are essentially 'cantrips' while more specific Force powers, like Battle Strike or Mind Trick, are "spells", and have the Jedi under the hood basically be a sorcerer-style caster, where they don't prepare spells each day (Jedi either know a power or don't) and just have a list of "powers" they can "cast" with some refresh mechanism. Thoughts?

Steampunkette
2015-05-14, 02:31 PM
I honestly feel like Warlock would be a better fit for Jedi.

Even the powerful Jedi Masters we're shown don't use a -lot- of force effects at any given time. Just enough to make the fights interesting.

Give them some decent Force-Related Invocations to choose from, use an improved Pact of the Blade option... Some other minor changes.

That way you could have constant Force-Senses through invocations and more rarely cast force-powers that go off in combat. And you've still got the more common force effects in the form of Cantrips.

Heck. Set some limits on Eldritch Blast targeting (All enemies must be within 10 feet of at least one other target) and you can turn Eldritch Blast into your basic force-punch/wave as the player levels. Add in the Repelling Blast invocation and it becomes a powerful force-push. Just hit someone with 1, 2, 3, or 4 Eldritch Blasts to fling them across the battlefield.

Alejandro
2015-05-15, 08:22 AM

Even the powerful Jedi Masters we're shown don't use a -lot- of force effects at any given time. Just enough to make the fights interesting.

Give them some decent Force-Related Invocations to choose from, use an improved Pact of the Blade option... Some other minor changes.

That way you could have constant Force-Senses through invocations and more rarely cast force-powers that go off in combat. And you've still got the more common force effects in the form of Cantrips.

Heck. Set some limits on Eldritch Blast targeting (All enemies must be within 10 feet of at least one other target) and you can turn Eldritch Blast into your basic force-punch/wave as the player levels. Add in the Repelling Blast invocation and it becomes a powerful force-push. Just hit someone with 1, 2, 3, or 4 Eldritch Blasts to fling them across the battlefield.

Clever girl. :D

The invocations mechanism is a decent stand-in for the Techniques and Secrets that Jedi Knights/Masters etc learn! I was considering having 3 'paths' for the Jedi class: Jedi Knight, Force Adept, and Sith Apprentice. Jedi Master and Sith Lord would not be separate 'prestige classes' but would instead be the higher level abilities of the Jedi Knight and Sith Apprentice path, respectively.

Steampunkette
2015-05-15, 12:09 PM
Force Persuade as an invocation (Or the lowest level patron boon) so people can Charm Person and voila! Jedi.

Ralcos
2015-05-15, 12:55 PM

Force Persuade as an invocation (Or the lowest level patron boon) so people can Charm Person and voila! Jedi.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/13OY2/she-s-right-you-know/image.png?w=400&c=1

Hell, I'd go all Knights of the Old Republic and change the Warlock Pacts into the Jedi Classes

Let's see here:
Jedi Knight --- Fighter-esque progression with focus on augmenting melee prowess with Force abilities.
Jedi Sentinel --- The "In-Between" progression that uses both the lightsaber AND force powers with equal proficiency.
Jedi Consoler --- The pure "spellcaster" progression, using Force powers with willpower beyond what most can imagine in the galaxy...

Hopefully that helped?

Ralcos
2015-05-15, 12:59 PM
Sorry a couple more ideas...

Soldier = Fighter with Firearm and Blaster proficiency.
Scoundrel/Scout = Rogue with Firearm and Blaster proficiency.
Noble = Bard without the magic (maybe just bonuses a la talents from Saga Edition?)

Steampunkette
2015-05-15, 01:52 PM
I have been Morgan Freeman'd.

This is the greatest day of my life.