PDA

View Full Version : To make a fixed list (and add more flavor to Druids)

Komatik
2015-05-11, 10:10 AM
One idea that just popped to my mind: Druids are awesome: Flavourful, versatile, broken, fey are awesome, fixed-list spontaneous casters are awesome for game flow and killing bookkeepping. Yet there really isn't a Fey feeling caster in the game - there are tricksy illusionist-enchanters like Bards and Beguilers, and the Druid does a splendid job at capturing most kinds of nature mage feel - both the more priestly vibe as well as the sorcerous one.

But Druids are a ton of bookkeeping and there still isn't a caster class that captures a fey nature mage vibe all that well, and the Spontaneous Divine Caster variants suffer from an acute spells known problem especially at the low levels where you just have to spam that one spell. Another issue fixed-list casting solved beautifully.

So why not kill many birds with one stone and make a fixed more fey-feeling spell list (that is not necessarily aiming for T3 like the other casters are) you can bolt onto the Spontaneous Druid? Anyone like the idea?

Sadly, I don't have time to start fashioning one right this instant, but will start later today if you folks haven't beaten me to the punch first.

Honest Tiefling
2015-05-11, 10:20 AM
Maybe I'm weird, but I feel as if this is best served being more tied to the campaign setting. There's different types of fey, druids are handled differently, etc. so to me, it feels as if it ties to the setting it'll be much better.

Eloel
2015-05-11, 02:57 PM
Umm, Spirit Shaman?

Grod_The_Giant
2015-05-11, 04:37 PM
You might want to take a look at my fixed list druid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?321588-The-Druid-%28Fixed-list-Caster-Project%29-3-5-PEACH&p=16671367#post16671367)for inspiration. It's not particularly fey themed, but you could perhaps take the basic list and add on illusions and enchantments from the Beguiler list to taste? You might also take inspiration from the Druidic Circles feature to cover different flavors of fey-- one list for the nature spirits, one for the malevolent tricksters, one for the super-elves, and so on.

ngilop
2015-05-11, 05:24 PM
Its not fixed list, but I did make a "tier" 3 Druid called the Vale Walker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?323920-Vale-Walker-Hopefully-a-Tier-3-Druid-)&highlight=ngilop)

check it out and see it you like it.