PDA

View Full Version : Why would a Wyrmling be on its own?

DragonBaneDM
2015-05-11, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, I'm working on a dungeon underneath the city of Sharn for my Eberron campaign, and I wanted to have an Bronze or Brass Wyrmling be one of the encounters/diplomatic challenges within it.

My idea was that the Chamber would have either left the Wyrmling there as a test for the young dragon, to rule over the denizens of the dungeon and prepare a new base of operation for them, or maybe it's a runaway/orphan.

Either way, it shares its order's obsession with dragonmarks and would insist on keeping a dragonmarked NPC/PC with them for further investigations, even though it's not really sure what it's looking for. Should be fun watching the party try and refuse a baby dragon, who's also a perfectly balanced encounter for my low level group.

What do you guys thinks works best? What other options am I not considering? This is sort of my "introduction dragon", and I want to do it right.

RandomNPC
2015-05-11, 11:35 AM
If things go diplomatically it could always "Adopt" the dragonmarked as a pet, follow them around, giving vauge directions, then when combat happens, it either helps just a tiny bit, ducks under something for safety, or fights a Rodent of unusual size while the party deals with the rest of the fight.

That'll let it keep tabs on someone without demanding they split the party.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-11, 12:12 PM
Seems risky for a dragon to leave its wyrmling offspring alone amongst humanoids, like leaving your baby out in the woods with raccoons.

Egg was stolen by an adventuring party, brought to Sharn to sell, and it hatched at night in some dive tavern while the adventurers were out spending their loot. The baby dragon fled into the tunnels.
Escaped exotic pet of a petty gang leader
Freed exotic pet of a rich dilettante who didn't realize how much work those things are to clean up after
Orphaned pet of a wizard/Draconic Prophecy scholar who died of old age in his lab a few months ago

Also, I know they're both CR 3, but a Bronze wyrmling is quite a bit more powerful than a Brass.

DragonBaneDM
2015-05-11, 01:04 PM
Seems risky for a dragon to leave its wyrmling offspring alone amongst humanoids, like leaving your baby out in the woods with raccoons.

Egg was stolen by an adventuring party, brought to Sharn to sell, and it hatched at night in some dive tavern while the adventurers were out spending their loot. The baby dragon fled into the tunnels.
Escaped exotic pet of a petty gang leader
Freed exotic pet of a rich dilettante who didn't realize how much work those things are to clean up after
Orphaned pet of a wizard/Draconic Prophecy scholar who died of old age in his lab a few months ago

Also, I know they're both CR 3, but a Bronze wyrmling is quite a bit more powerful than a Brass.

Going with the 5E stats, this is just for regular advice on how the wyrmling would get down there (your advice might still stand, I haven't done a side by side comparison yet). And okay, I guess it being an orphan makes the most sense, unless there was some way to safeguard the baby from afar, I doubt that even the Chamber would be risky enough to put a baby dragon on it's own.

Summing it up to bad parenting might be a little too desperate. Maybe its just watching the nest/dungeon while mother is away? Or maybe its out exploring and likes to pretend that this specific dungeon is its own personal domain?

Ettina
2015-05-11, 01:06 PM
Not all dragons care for their young. If you pick one of the subtypes that abandons their eggs or abandons wyrmlings after hatching, it'll make perfect sense why a wyrmling is alone. For example, green dragon pairs typically lay multiple clutches of eggs, tending one clutch and ignoring the others.

Hawkstar
2015-05-11, 01:11 PM
Seems risky for a dragon to leave its wyrmling offspring alone amongst humanoids, like leaving your baby out in the woods with raccoons.The problem with this analogy is that human infants don't make Rambo look like a sissy the way Dragon babies do.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-11, 01:30 PM
The problem with this analogy is that human infants don't make Rambo look like a sissy the way Dragon babies do.

I don't know...in 3.5 a brass dragon wyrmling has 4HD, AC 15, BAB +4, and a 1d6 breath weapon. An angry mob of commoners with crowbars led by an adept could beat one down. There are several hundred thousand commoners in Sharn and a whole host of beings with martial, psionic, and spellcasting classes. Not sure how many crowbars though.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-11, 02:02 PM
In my settings Dragons leave their children with tribes of Kobolds to raise and protect them. The reason being that dragons hate taking orders from others, and privilege overlordship. It is considered insulting to tell another dragon to do something, and so raising a dragon as a child instead of a mini-dictator is taboo.

Eloel
2015-05-11, 02:05 PM
I don't know...in 3.5 a brass dragon wyrmling has 4HD, AC 15, BAB +4, and a 1d6 breath weapon. An angry mob of commoners with crowbars led by an adept could beat one down. There are several hundred thousand commoners in Sharn and a whole host of beings with martial, psionic, and spellcasting classes. Not sure how many crowbars though.

Dragons can fly. Commoners can't.

DragonBaneDM
2015-05-11, 02:48 PM

This is deep in the Ja'Sharaat ruins, though. Somewhere generally left alone.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-11, 02:56 PM
Dragons can fly. Commoners can't.

In Sharn they can. It's built on a manifest zone to an elemental plane of air, plenty of flight magic available.

I'm not saying wyrmlings are easy pickings, but bands of humanoids make formidable foes. Any dragon parent would be remiss in its duties if it thought otherwise.

In my settings Dragons leave their children with tribes of Kobolds to raise and protect them. The reason being that dragons hate taking orders from others, and privilege overlordship. It is considered insulting to tell another dragon to do something, and so raising a dragon as a child instead of a mini-dictator is taboo.

Very cool idea!

This is deep in the Ja'Sharaat ruins, though. Somewhere generally left alone.

Fair enough. There's always the possibility of a stray goblin pack, I suppose.

DragonBaneDM
2015-05-11, 05:15 PM
Fair enough. There's always the possibility of a stray goblin pack, I suppose.

Flying commoner theories aside, I figure the wyrmling would be in charge of said goblin pack.

d13
2015-05-11, 06:48 PM
My question is why would a dragon be meddling with lesser races, moreso in a place like Eberron, and how did he get there without being noticed immediately xD

cobaltstarfire
2015-05-11, 07:09 PM
I don't know how Eberron dragons work in particular other than not being color coded for convenience, but most D&D wyrmlings are already prone to striking out on their own, they may return to a mentor dragon (or parents). But one showing up somewhere alone doesn't mean it has to be an orphan or anything.

Particular since you're thinking of using a bronze or brass dragon, they're both fairly gregarious and curious species in one way or another. Because it has an intense interest in dragon marks it may be better as a bronze, and could have been drawn to the area because of its interest.

d13
2015-05-11, 09:51 PM
I don't know how Eberron dragons work in particular other than not being color coded for convenience (...)

Let's just say they don't leave their home island if it's not to rain complete and utter death and destruction on whatever upsets the Balance, and/or messes with the Draconic Prophecy

Coidzor
2015-05-12, 07:26 AM
Let's just say they don't leave their home island if it's not to rain complete and utter death and destruction on whatever upsets the Balance, and/or messes with the Draconic Prophecy

There's always rogues and renegades, though, and it's conceivable that some set of circumstances would lead them to decide that the prophecy requires them to make a wyrmling so that there'll be a wyrmling in Sharn's basement at time X.

TricksyAndFalse
2015-05-12, 09:19 AM
Your wyrmling is already fascinated by dragonmarks, why not have the Prophecy be the reason it's under Sharn? Maybe a bit of the Prophecy written in the sound of rain led it to Sharn to find the next verse. It found the verse written beneath the city, foretelling the PCs arrival, and that they'd do something worth watching. A few minutes after it read that bit of prophecy, the wyrmling hears the PCs footsteps.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-12, 10:17 AM
Your wyrmling is already fascinated by dragonmarks, why not have the Prophecy be the reason it's under Sharn? Maybe a bit of the Prophecy written in the sound of rain led it to Sharn to find the next verse. It found the verse written beneath the city, foretelling the PCs arrival, and that they'd do something worth watching. A few minutes after it read that bit of prophecy, the wyrmling hears the PCs footsteps.

Great idea! At the very least it could be its caretakers/parents that interpreted that part of the Prophecy. The message indicated they should drop this little whelp off "under the city in the clouds" to "fulfill its destiny".

Sith_Happens
2015-05-12, 03:22 PM
Any dragon parent would be remiss in its duties if it thought otherwise.

You're assuming that dragons feel a duty to care for their young in the first place. Some do, some don't, in depends on setting and color.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-12, 04:26 PM
You're assuming that dragons feel a duty to care for their young in the first place. Some do, some don't, in depends on setting and color.

Brass or bronze?

cobaltstarfire
2015-05-12, 04:44 PM
Bronzes do rear their young.

Dunno about brass, the 3.5 draconomicon doesn't get into courtship and child rearing for them. It does mention that brass dragons actually don't like each others company very much though since they're both so talkative, and both want to lead the conversation.

Maybe an Eberron supplement or another editions draconomicon covers Brass dragons?

Either way, even if they are reared by parents/mentors, dragons are practically autonomous from birth, they don't have to have a care taker in order to make it in the world.

Hawkstar
2015-05-12, 07:47 PM
I don't know...in 3.5 a brass dragon wyrmling has 4HD, AC 15, BAB +4, and a 1d6 breath weapon. An angry mob of commoners with crowbars led by an adept could beat one down. There are several hundred thousand commoners in Sharn and a whole host of beings with martial, psionic, and spellcasting classes. Not sure how many crowbars though.I said Rambo, not Godzilla. A wyrmling dragon packs more firepower than the average 4th-level adventurer. Furthermore, all of that is wrapped in a cat-sized package. A mob can't do **** against something that elusive, tiny, and powerful, especially in tight, labyrinthine quarters.

Dragons can fly. Commoners can't.Wyrmlings can't fly.

I'm not saying wyrmlings are easy pickings, but bands of humanoids make formidable foes. Any dragon parent would be remiss in its duties if it thought otherwise.
Individual humanoids and tiny groups can be formidible foes. Larger bands are completely ineffective, unless the individuals or pairs within it are themselves a threat to the dragon.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-12, 09:56 PM
Wyrmlings can't fly.

What? Where are you getting this? SRD says they can, all of the other editions I have played they can...

Maglubiyet
2015-05-12, 11:27 PM
I said Rambo, not Godzilla. A wyrmling dragon packs more firepower than the average 4th-level adventurer. Furthermore, all of that is wrapped in a cat-sized package. A mob can't do **** against something that elusive, tiny, and powerful, especially in tight, labyrinthine quarters.

Maybe 5e is different, but in 3.5 a wyrmling is CR3, same as an Air Mephit or a Hellhound. Tough, but nothing to soil your armor over.

Brass dragon wyrmling -- no STR bonus...Bite 1d4, Claw 1d3x2, Breath 1d6, HP30, AC15. It's got STR 11 and DEX 10, Size=Tiny. A 4th-level fighter with Improved Trip would have a field day with the little guy (+4 penalty for each size category larger than opponent). Spells are also a very good option.

Wyrmlings can't fly.

In 3.5 a brass dragon wyrmling has Fly 150 ft. (Average).

Eloel
2015-05-13, 12:12 AM
Brass dragon wyrmling -- no STR bonus...Bite 1d4, Claw 1d3x2, Breath 1d6, HP30, AC15. It's got STR 11 and DEX 10, Size=Tiny. A 4th-level fighter with Improved Trip would have a field day with the little guy (+4 penalty for each size category larger than opponent). Spells are also a very good option.

Flying, at-will range weapon (breath) vs Tripping Fighter. Do you know what would happen?

cobaltstarfire
2015-05-13, 12:56 AM
One has to keep in mind that even kobolds and goblins in 5e with a CR of like...1/4 can be rather dangerous even at higher levels.

Bronze and Brass wyrmlings in 5e have slightly above average stats, an 1d10+str bite (both have str bonuses), a line of fire (4d6) or lightning (3d10), and a cone of sleep or repulsion (pushes opponents away 30 feet). And a fly speed of 60.

A brass dragon (the weaker of the two at CR 1) can pretty seriously wound or even kill several level one characters in a single turn. It's also got a lot mobility if it plays smart and stays in the air where it can maintain range, and easily flit to cover.

I don't think a brass dragon is anything to sneeze at for the likes commoners or a low level party.

Though I rather imagine it'd be more fun if the wyrmling just did what copper and bronze dragons are known for, and just follow the party and either talk their ears off or study them intensely.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-13, 07:30 AM
Flying, at-will range weapon (breath) vs Tripping Fighter. Do you know what would happen?

Trip was just the first thing that popped into my mind when I looked at the stats. Anyway, breath weapon is usable only every 1d4 rounds.

I get it, everyone's got this weird love affair for dragons. Granted, good all-around combat, Flying, very nasty Sleep breath for the brass, but how is this even a conversation? It's still only a 4HD creature with AC15 and moderate stats and saves. No Spell Resistance yet, either. In a city the size of Sharn this guy would be a little minnow.

That's just bad parenting to cut him loose amongst all the big, scary humanoids and assume he'll be okay. Maybe if mom and dad sent him to stay with their buddy at Morgrave University to be his chaperone or hired a Deneith bodyguard or something.

Hawkstar
2015-05-13, 09:16 AM
Trip was just the first thing that popped into my mind when I looked at the stats. Anyway, breath weapon is usable only every 1d4 rounds.And there are 600 rounds in an hour. That wyrmling dragon has a +8 to hide from just size modifiers. Given a 150' fly speed (I was mistaken about Wyrmlings not being able to fly - I'd read somewhere on these boards in some argument that dragons couldn't fly until "Very Young")

I get it, everyone's got this weird love affair for dragons. Granted, good all-around combat, Flying, very nasty Sleep breath for the brass, but how is this even a conversation? It's still only a 4HD creature with AC15 and moderate stats and saves. No Spell Resistance yet, either. In a city the size of Sharn this guy would be a little minnow. 4HD, 15 AC, +8 Hide, and Tiny size. This guy can choose his battles, curbstomping and dominating WELL above his weight class, and being Gone when anything that's actually a threat to him is around.

cobaltstarfire
2015-05-13, 11:19 AM
Trip was just the first thing that popped into my mind when I looked at the stats. Anyway, breath weapon is usable only every 1d4 rounds.....

In 5e they can breath as often as they want.

I also have to ask, what exactly is the point of arguing using 3e rules when the OP is using 5e? You're also arguing against the existing fluff, fluff that has stayed fairly consistent across several editions at least. Brass and Bronze extra dragons are dangerous in 5e, and all wyrmlings can take care of themselves.

Please bring forth fluff about Eberron dragons that states that wyrmlings can't take care of themselves. I don't know much about them and would like to know.

(PS Wyrmlings, at least the two in question in 5e are Medium creatures)

TricksyAndFalse
2015-05-13, 12:04 PM
That's just bad parenting to cut him loose amongst all the big, scary humanoids and assume he'll be okay. Maybe if mom and dad sent him to stay with their buddy at Morgrave University to be his chaperone or hired a Deneith bodyguard or something.

The OP suggested initially that the wyrmling might be an orphan or runaway. I like the idea that maybe dragon-mom or dragon-dad did send the wyrmling to stay with someone, but the wyrmling chafed at being restricted and has naively struck out on her own.

Or, an idea I like better, maybe the bodyguard failed and is dead, and the wyrmling flew off to hide. She found the next part of prophecy in her hiding spot, and is waiting there for the PCs to find her. The PCs are investigating the death of the House Deneith bodyguard, and don't realize they are looking for a wyrmling at all.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-13, 01:19 PM
I also have to ask, what exactly is the point of arguing using 3e rules when the OP is using 5e? You're also arguing against the existing fluff, fluff that has stayed fairly consistent across several editions at least. Brass and Bronze extra dragons are dangerous in 5e, and all wyrmlings can take care of themselves.

Please bring forth fluff about Eberron dragons that states that wyrmlings can't take care of themselves. I don't know much about them and would like to know.

(PS Wyrmlings, at least the two in question in 5e are Medium creatures)

All I said at first, before edition was brought up, was:

Whether it's 3.5 or 5e, this statement holds true -- humanoids, especially in groups, are capable of killing or enslaving even older dragons. It's what they do. Not sure why that provoked such a big backlash. Any being alone against an organized group is in danger, not just dragons. And a young, naive creature is probably less likely to understand that danger. Seems fairly obvious to me.

A parent that cares about the well-being of its offspring, which I presume includes most metallic dragons, would be taking a risk sending their child to a human city without providing some form of protection for that child. Yes, they may be combat monsters, but monsters don't belong in cities. The guys in charge don't like that kind of thing. Humans can escalate the violence as far as necessary to subdue a threat within the city limits, especially against a creature that has no allies or place to rest and recuperate.

Even if it manages not to unknowingly blunder into a situation that leads to combat, there are still elements in the city that would want to use a dragon for their own ends. It could end up as an agent for a crime family or the Lords of Dust, a pet for a powerful psion, or as spell components for some archmage. Don't know about 5e, but in 3.5 the wyrmling only has an 11 WIS.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe brass dragons would willingly send a 5-year-old into the heart of human civilization all alone and expect everything to turn out okay. I'm just saying it seems risky, is all.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-13, 01:30 PM
The OP suggested initially that the wyrmling might be an orphan or runaway. I like the idea that maybe dragon-mom or dragon-dad did send the wyrmling to stay with someone, but the wyrmling chafed at being restricted and has naively struck out on her own.

Or, an idea I like better, maybe the bodyguard failed and is dead, and the wyrmling flew off to hide. She found the next part of prophecy in her hiding spot, and is waiting there for the PCs to find her. The PCs are investigating the death of the House Deneith bodyguard, and don't realize they are looking for a wyrmling at all.

This makes a lot more sense to me. Orphaned or escaped is the way to go. The suggestion that it was left intentionally just doesn't sit well.

Other people seem to disagree and think that leaving an infant alone on a vitally important mission is a good idea, but different strokes I guess.

cobaltstarfire
2015-05-13, 01:42 PM
And a young, naive creature is probably less likely to understand that danger. Seems fairly obvious to me.

The thing is that wyrmlings aren't naive, they're born with knowledge passed down from their parents. They can't readily access it, but it tends to become "unlocked" as needed.

Which is why I keep saying, wyrmlings don't need to be cared for, it's in the fluff. Parent dragons may mentor or help out their offspring, but they don't have to in order for the offspring to have a good chance of survival.

edit

Also I don't think very many people ever suggested that it was "left intentionally" most people are suggesting that in typical dragon fashion it went off on it's own in one way or another to explore and learn about the world. It doesn't have to be an orphan or anything like that, because the absence of parents isn't a weird thing for wyrmlings.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-13, 01:44 PM
The thing is that wyrmlings aren't naive, they're born with knowledge passed down from their parents. They can't readily access it, but it tends to become "unlocked" as needed.

Which is why I keep saying, wyrmlings don't need to be cared for, it's in the fluff. Parent dragons may mentor or help out their offspring, but they don't have to in order for the offspring to have a good chance of survival.

Well, that's news to me. I've never read anything that mentioned inherited memories for dragons. Is that a 5e thing?

cobaltstarfire
2015-05-13, 01:45 PM
Well, that's news to me. I've never read anything that mentioned inherited memories for dragons. Is that a 5e thing?

No it's in the 3.5 draconomicon

Edit: It would be funny if the dragon isn't an orphan/stolen egg if eventually it's angry parents come to take it home, and berate it for fraternizing with those stinky lesser beings. Going on what I've been told about Eberron dragons in this thread anyway.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-13, 02:01 PM
No it's in the 3.5 draconomicon

Oh yeah, that part. I took that to mean that they don't have a long infancy like humans, not that they're wise in the ways of the world from Day 1. They can reason and take care of their basic needs immediately. Their stats certainly don't reflect any deep knowledge transfer.

cobaltstarfire
2015-05-13, 02:23 PM
After about an hour, it is ready to fly, fight, and reason. It inherits a considerable body of practical knowledge from its parents

I doubt the dragon in question is less than an hour old. :smalltongue:

It also talks pretty extensively about wyrmlings both "on their own" and and those being "reared" by their parents. They're described as smart and able enough to practice and learn without input from parents/mentors. They aren't as safe on their own, but as you said yourself, even fully mature dragons aren't safe if a party who is inclined to take them out shows up.

Wyrmlings if compared to humans are really more like an adolescent human than they are a human infant.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-13, 02:53 PM
This makes a lot more sense to me. Orphaned or escaped is the way to go. The suggestion that it was left intentionally just doesn't sit well.

Other people seem to disagree and think that leaving an infant alone on a vitally important mission is a good idea, but different strokes I guess.

It is better able to survive than an adult human. And most reptiles abandon their young to make it on their own. The helpless baby thing is basically reserved for birds and mammals.

DragonBaneDM
2015-05-13, 03:02 PM
I think both sides are actually making really good points!

I like the idea of the wyrmling being on its own and understanding what it's doing, even at a young age. I especially liked the bit about the Prophecy guiding its steps all the way to Sharn.

However, the idea of it not having a guardian to watch over it is also just confusing, and negligent.

So here's my proposed compromise: The wyrmling's parent(s?) or guardians are members of The Chamber, a group of younger dragons from Eberron that see it as their duty to meddle in the affairs of lesser races and actively try to observe and shape their Draconic Prophecy. They came to the city as a family-unit to observe the prophecy, and his parents or guardian are away during the time of the dungeon crawl.

So young, somewhat distracted, even reckless parents set up their child in this dungeon as a way to let him "stretch his wings". Both Bronze and Brass wyrmlings fly in my edition, so that'll settle that, I hope.

The wyrmling understands why he and his parent/guardian dragon came here: to observe dragonmarks, but also believes himself to be the undisputed master of these halls. He sees the dwarf's presence as his first real opportunity to further the will of the Chamber, but also wants these other trespassers into his lair to take him seriously and leave.

Does this check out? It gives the wyrmling it's own space but also makes logical sense within the fact that it's essentially a child still in it's society. It also introduces the party to an important aspect of dragons in Eberron: what the Chamber is and what it's basest goals are. This paves the way for the party to interact with the Chamber more at later levels, including a Vaarsuvian attack against the party by the wyrmling's guardian should the party be violent towards it.

Hawkstar
2015-05-13, 08:55 PM
All I said at first, before edition was brought up, was:

Whether it's 3.5 or 5e, this statement holds true -- humanoids, especially in groups, are capable of killing or enslaving even older dragons. It's what they do. Not sure why that provoked such a big backlash. Any being alone against an organized group is in danger, not just dragons. And a young, naive creature is probably less likely to understand that danger. Seems fairly obvious to me.They need to be individually powerful enough to pose a threat to a dragon. Otherwise, the dragon can just go "Meh, I'll be somewhere else". Dragons have an unmatched ability to choose their fights.

A parent that cares about the well-being of its offspring, which I presume includes most metallic dragons, would be taking a risk sending their child to a human city without providing some form of protection for that child. Yes, they may be combat monsters, but monsters don't belong in cities. The guys in charge don't like that kind of thing. Humans can escalate the violence as far as necessary to subdue a threat within the city limits, especially against a creature that has no allies or place to rest and recuperate.Wyrmlings aren't "Combat monsters". We're talking something the size of a cat. Yeah, it is capable of killing individual humanoids with ease, but in a city, it's more than capable of being only revealed to those it wants to be revealed to. As for "No place to rest and recuperate" - absolute bull****. It has hundreds of thousands of places to safely rest and recuperate.

Even if it manages not to unknowingly blunder into a situation that leads to combat, there are still elements in the city that would want to use a dragon for their own ends. It could end up as an agent for a crime family or the Lords of Dust, a pet for a powerful psion, or as spell components for some archmage. Don't know about 5e, but in 3.5 the wyrmling only has an 11 WIS.Good luck finding something the size of a housecat in a city as large and populous as Sharn.

As for "Only 11 Wis" - in other words, greater wisdom than the average Level 7 Barbarian.

TricksyAndFalse
2015-05-14, 05:28 AM
So here's my proposed compromise: [...]

This is your game. You don't need to compromise with us. You get to make something fun for you and your friends, regardless of what the internet thinks.

Both Bronze and Brass wyrmlings fly in my edition, so that'll settle that, I hope.

Sharn's manifest zone makes magic flying easy. Magic flying is what dragons do. Anyone who argues with you about flying wyrmlings is wrong when those wyrmlings are in Sharn.

DragonBaneDM
2015-05-14, 11:40 AM
This is your game. You don't need to compromise with us. You get to make something fun for you and your friends, regardless of what the internet thinks.

Hey thanks! I just really did the people saying to make it an orphan and the other camp saying that the wyrmling could be unsupervised are making good points, is all. It isn't for your guys's sakes, I'm just trying to use the best bits from each point of view.

cobaltstarfire
2015-05-14, 11:53 AM
Sounds like it fits the existing fluff (if that's what you want to stick to, you don't have to of course)

Wyrmlings that stay with their parents are described as typically choosing a privateish space in the parent lair to call their own among other things.

Are you going to give your wyrmling lair actions? It doesn't specify in the MM if they can do them (or I haven't found anywhere that does)...but having them would make things extra interesting/hairy depending on what your party can do.

I'm really curious to hear how things go either way, I hope you pop back and tell us about it. I've never gotten to play in a game that has any real dragon interactions, so I must live vicariously through your players. :smalltongue:

DragonBaneDM
2015-05-14, 12:09 PM
Are you going to give your wyrmling lair actions? It doesn't specify in the MM if they can do them (or I haven't found anywhere that does)...but having them would make things extra interesting/hairy depending on what your party can do.

I'm really curious to hear how things go either way, I hope you pop back and tell us about it. I've never gotten to play in a game that has any real dragon interactions, so I must live vicariously through your players. :smalltongue:

Oh man! I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, maybe! If I don't give it any minions to go along with it then totally! I'd like to try that out, and I love the idea of the little dude buzzing around, pushing traps into the right direction, or speaking words of power to trigger a spell rune he carved weeks ago. So yeah! I've talked myself up for it. Definitely.

Hey thanks. Half of this is just cause I want to give him a Stitch voice. But I really am serious about using the Chamber as a force in my game, and I think this'll work out.