PDA

View Full Version : [4E] By the Books IC Thread

Amazo
2015-05-11, 02:36 PM
Despite being the Nentir Vale being a northern region, it is not known to experience much in the way of snowfall. That doesn't seem to be the case today though. Ever since leaving Winterhaven, Jessica, Lirre, and the rest of the soon-to-be adventuring cadre have been caught in an oppressive ongoing storm of freezing sleet and snow running on three days now. The ground is wet as the precipitation mercifully refuses to accumulate, but cruelly leaving the under-maintained trade roads of the Vale a muddy mess. Day and night have bled together into one miserable state as the driving weather blots out any potential reprieve from the conditions from the sun's rays. It's a wonder that the scroll case continuing Treona's delivery has held up despite the adverse conditions of wind and wetness. Any minor crack in the petite metal case would ruin the precious powder residuum cargo carried inside, but the precocious wizard and her paladin protector have soldiered on admirably. The way back to the mage Treona's tower is a tried and true path to these two stalwarts: southwest of Winterhaven, past the Ogrefist Hills, right at the crossroads heading north away from the ruins of Kiris Dahn. All told, the trip takes only a relatively meager two days under normal circumstances. This time, it has taken them the same amount of time to go only halfway, lucky to reach those crossroads to camp for the night.

Usually, a major intersection of trade roads such as the one they approach would hold the promise of meeting other travellers on their own ways. Having, quite understandably, not met a soul on the road since departing Winterhaven, that would be a welcome if brief reprieve from the burden of marching on another two days through this storm. However, the two know even without saying it aloud that that the chance is abysmal if it isn't entirely impossible. Fate, however, is fickle, and happenstance even more so. They would certainly be meeting someone tonight...

Dorn, Yggdrasil, Ekemon, Zards... Each travelling to meet this mysterious mage Treona for the same reason: the missing slaying stone of Kiris Dahn. It seems pointless to some to have to march past the place in pursuit of what the woman has to say about the thing, but logic dictates that having input on what precisely to expect in the ruins of a kingdom as steeped in danger and evil as Bael Turath is worth delaying a chance at personal gain. How fitting it is that each of these individuals from such different walks of life before the stone's call to adventure reach them will be meeting...

On a crossroads, the sun already set, the wind and sleet whipping at your extremities, each of these parties meets together for the first time.

Phew, that was quite a dramatic mouthful, but there it is. Obviously, some people are a bit easier to spot in the dark depending on if you want to be carrying a lit torch or lantern or the like *Yggdrasil may still be difficult to spot even then), but you're all present at the same time.

TurboGhast
2015-05-11, 05:54 PM
Dorn shivers as he bashed the ground with a sunrod.
"Sunrods emit heat, right? HELLO! ANYONE ELSE THERE?"
The sunrod activates, and light shimmers from it.
"Okay, now that I can see maybe I can find someone to huddle with or something. I still feel cold while wearing my bedroll."

onlie2005
2015-05-12, 12:55 AM
Jessica was happy to be headed to the Tower once more, eager to return to the fascinating tomes in Treona's Tower. She just wished the weather had not put a damper on things. The girl though seemed to take to the weather better than most. Having travelled outdoors for most of her young life, she was used to all kinds of weather. Though she had to acclimatize a bit more to the more wintery conditions. Still she was able to trudge on with little complaint. She made sure the scroll case was secure and decided to put the case in her backpack hoping to protect it more from the rain.

Wonderful weather we have been having huh?, she said bemusedly to her companion Lirre, I think we should be setting up camp for the night.

Seeing the sudden activation of a sunrod caused her to pull out her wand from her pants pocket and point it at the holder. However she lowered it when the obvious half orc spoke and turned to Lirre and let her respond.

sakuuya
2015-05-12, 11:21 AM
Lirre flexes her hands to try to get some feeling back in them. Even switching out her gauntlets for thick, fur-lined gloves wasn't keeping them warm. And Jessica didn't seem to be feeling it at all. Lirre just sighed at her charge's cheery comment about the weather, and the puff of her breath was immediately stolen away by the wind. "You're right. It's bad enough trying to stay on the road during the day, and it's only going to get colder at night."

At the sudden flare of a sunrod, Lirre turns and quickly interposes herself between Jessica and whoever's ahead of them. "Hello?" she shouts above the wind as she moves toward the light. "Who goes there?"

TurboGhast
2015-05-12, 06:55 PM
Dorn replies to the barely heard question with "HELLO! PLEASE MOVE CLOSER, I CAN'T HEAR DUE TO THE WIND!"

He tries the best he can to move closer, but given that he's wearing something that's designed for not moving in, he moves quite slowly.

"IF YOU CAN HEAR ME, I WANT TO CAMP TOGETHER FOR EXTRA WARMTH!"

Dorn thinks to himself that he would be willing to camp with anyone at the moment, and mutters to himself in frustration about how this danger has no glory in combatting it.

Dr.Samurai
2015-05-13, 05:37 PM
Ekemon trudged through the snow, stopping every now and then to orient himself with the roadside posts. He hadn't planned to make this trip until much later in life, when his wealth and station might allow the time and freedom for such a journey. But not everything turned out the he had planned. A tyrant was overthrown, a people liberated. Ekemon was to be the Master of Coin under the new regime. But the only man that could testify to his part in the rebellion, and to his loyalty to the people, was killed during the coup. Beyond that, Ekemon had only his years working as an intimidating tax collector to speak to his character. The mob would have killed him then had Ekemon not convinced them that his blood curse would latch on to the person that spilled his blood.

Now he is an exile. The position comes with many disadvantages, but there are a few benefits to be had as well. The first and foremost being that Ekemon now has a chance to study Turathi history in person, instead of reading about it out of dusty scrolls and tomes. To that end, he is following a lead Heskan had given him on some artifacts known as Slaying Stones. He doubts the things ever existed, having read some nonsense that they would kill any man they touched, but he is bound to find more lore about the Turathi in searching for these stones, and that in itself is worth facing the inclement weather.

He had tried a torch earlier, but the snow was so bad the light made his vision worse. But now, he can see a small haze of light ahead. And as he gets closer, the forms of other people take shape. He approaches, Only the very hardy or the very foolish would be out in this mess. So tell me, which are you three?

Merellis
2015-05-13, 08:58 PM
While many others could go through this storm with only a little bit of trouble, Yggdrasil found herself being tossed about by the winds. Two pounds of arcane fury can't stop the wind from blowing you to the side, and soft wings cannot withstand the weight of the snow. There was no possible way for the pixie to make it through the storm and make it to the crossroads.

No other way than to ride on the moon.

Lateu had just enough power and experience to brave the harsh weather, and had the warmth of Yggdrasil's enchanted scarf to keep the bitter cold from the crossroads into an icy tomb. The shining light that illuminated their newest destination became a beacon of hope, and the loyal raven honed in towards, landed and gave a mighty cry of joy.

Course, to poor Dorn, this would only be the harsh caw of a raven next to his ear as it perched on his shoulder.

Well, a scarf covered raven carrying both a vibrant scarf around it's neck and a tiny, grey, and armored passenger.

"Oh frabjous day! A warrior's kind! Could me and my own stay this night? Would one such as yourself mind?" Cried out the tiny figure, looking like she and her companion could be lost to the blistering winds and the clinging snow. "This horrid weather should pay you no ill. But for ones small as us, t'would kill!"

The raven cawed again in agreement.

sakuuya
2015-05-13, 10:46 PM
Trusting that Jessica is, if not actually following her, at least not running off somewhere, Lirre continues trudging toward the sunrod-lighter until she can actually hear what he's saying. From the clothed raven perched on his shoulder, she guesses that he too is some manner of wizard as well. "Who are you, that you would bed down with strangers so readily?If our meeting is--" she cuts off as she startles to what looks like a demon forming out of the whirling snow, but her first impression is wrong; he's simply a tiefling. Lirre takes her hand from the pommel of her sword.

"We've seen no one since we set out, and now suddenly you've all appeared as though you were summoned by the crossroads. Perhaps this storm is some divine manifestation, although," she crooks a little smile, "I admit that I could do with a little less of the Mistress of Winter in my life at present. My name is Lirre Yarrow, and this is my companion, Jessica." Lirre turns to present the girl.

TurboGhast
2015-05-14, 08:14 AM
Dorn, replies to anyone that can hear him "Can we camp together and then sort out wha-" Dorn stumbles on his words as a raven interrupts him. "we are to each other while doing that, and not before?" He considers setting up a tent, but decides to wait for a response.

Dr.Samurai
2015-05-14, 10:29 PM
Well, that answers my question, Ekemon mutters to himself as he is introduced to a young girl in the middle of a near blizzard. He wraps his cloak tighter around him and speaks up to be heard over the wind, I am Ekemon Sajin, and I make for a destination north of here. My journey could not wait, hence I find myself in this predicament. I mean no trouble, and I think we would all benefit from company this evening.

onlie2005
2015-05-14, 10:53 PM
Jessica is nonjudgemental. These men and pixie it seems want shelter and some kind of warmth from the storm. She herself knew that the best way to survive was with numbers. So she said, I agree Lirre. We would be better off working and travelling together rather than separately. At least we might be able to pool our resources to survive this weather.

TurboGhast
2015-05-15, 08:06 AM
Dorn half deliriously replies "Okay yeah yeah yeah ye ah y ea h y e a h." and falls over. He slowly starts to set up his tent, but he is clearly having issues both putting up the tent, and thinking straight due to the cold.

sakuuya
2015-05-16, 09:19 PM
As Lirre helps Jessica set up their shared tent, she mutters a prayer for the hardiness to weather this storm. Once their tent is set up--but not before--she goes to assist the man who first suggested they camp together. As stiff and cold as she feels, he's obviously suffering worse. "You never answered me," she says conversationally. "Who are you? If we're to camp together, I should at least know your name."

onlie2005
2015-05-16, 09:53 PM
Jessica was not sure about the stranger which was why she was hesitant about helping. But Lirre decided to help so she helped too. Having done this many times before she was used to it even though the weather made it somewhat difficult. She will also try to build a campfire.

Dr.Samurai
2015-05-16, 10:28 PM
It might be the cold, it might be the wind, it might even be the half-orc's ineptitude, but Ekemon doesn't feel like taking any chances. He steps to the side a few paces, hoping his curse doesn't interfere too badly with their efforts on a night like tonight. He begins to set up his tent as well. Once finished, he attempts to help the girl Jessica with starting the fire, by trying to stand in the way of the wind. He has little success. This may require a group effort, he says, removing his cloak, stepping on the edge, and pulling it tight, creating a makeshift wall of fabric to better stop the wind. Go ahead Jessica, try again.

TurboGhast
2015-05-17, 05:24 PM
Dorn completely misses Lirre's question at first since he's focusing on the more immediate problem of being very cold, but finally manages to set up his tent. After warning up a bit within his tent and active sunrod, Dorn remembers that he was asked a question and answers "I - I'm Dorn, Runepriest of Kord." and begins helping everyone else to create a fire, while reciting a prayer about lightning. He then remembers the obvious and prays to Kord to vent his rage elsewhere.

onlie2005
2015-05-17, 10:34 PM
If there was one thing her father always taught her was to keep calm under pressure. Never lose emotional control and always keep your wits about you. So when she makes the campfire, she is slow but sure and soon a small fire was started. The girl nodded appreciatively at Ekemon for his help.

She sat down near the fire and pulled out her rations from her backpack and began to eat, offering a few to the others if needed.

Dr.Samurai
2015-05-19, 09:00 PM
Masterfully done! Ekemon says with a clap, as Jessica's sparks catch and start a small flame. He declines the young girl's offer of food, Thank you my dear but I shan't take from your stores while I have plenty of my own for the journey ahead. He huddles closer to the flame, perhaps too close, but the heat does not seem to be harming him in any way, My thanks to you Ms Yarrow for accepting my company. A terrible night to brave alone, I fear. He beckons the half-orc to the fire, Come join us Dorn, Kordsworn.

TurboGhast
2015-05-20, 08:02 AM
Dorn agrees, and shuffles his tent closer. He knows he might catch his tent on fire, but accepts that risk.

Merellis
2015-05-22, 01:51 PM
Yggdrasil gives a quick introduction and follows raven into one of the tents. Because lets be honest, in this weather, her tent would fly off and she'd never be seen again. There's not much needed for a fey and a bird, just some unused corner for the two to share some warmth.

"My apologies, for I am far too small to assist in such work."

sakuuya
2015-05-24, 04:37 PM
Lirre follows Yggdrasil into their tent. It's meant for two people, but Jessica is small enough that there's enough room for the pixie and raven.

"Are you all right? As hard as this weather has hit the rest of us, I imagine it's much worse for yourself."

onlie2005
2015-05-24, 06:35 PM
Jessica is not to sure about going into someone else's tent. But she does see Lirre enter the tent herself. So she decides to follow. She sees the pixie more clearly now and gives her a polite nod.

We should get going to the Tower first thing in the morning. I will take first watch.

TurboGhast
2015-05-24, 08:23 PM
Dorn calls out to Jessica, "Agreed on moving after resting. I would like to take the last watch."

Merellis
2015-05-28, 01:11 PM
Lirre follows Yggdrasil into their tent. It's meant for two people, but Jessica is small enough that there's enough room for the pixie and raven.

"Are you all right? As hard as this weather has hit the rest of us, I imagine it's much worse for yourself."

The raven gives an annoyed squawk as Yggdrasil sets about placing every soft item she owns around her companion. It soon creates a facsimile of a nest which pleases her friend. The tiny pixie gives a short bow to Lirre.

"This journey has been filled with peril as we go, nearly blown away we were by the ice and snow. My gratitudes here go to you all and my raven, for despite their reputation she is not quite craven. It was through her strength and stubborn mind that I arrived here, glad to meet others where there is no need to fear."

sakuuya
2015-05-31, 09:57 AM
Lirre nods. "You're welcome to stay with us until the storm passes. I hope that's all right with you, Jessica," she adds as the girl comes into the tent, "as I've already extended the offer. You stay warm out there, now, and I'll take the next watch."

Lirre only pretends to sleep during Jessica's shift--Jessica may be watching the camp, but someone's gotta watch her.

Amazo
2015-05-31, 10:29 PM
These cautious but helpful approaches to one another characterize the rest of the group's night and next day of travel. Mercifully, both are uneventful despite the violent climate. It seems that even the dangers of the world can be kept at bay with a brutal enough bout of weather. The winds die down over the course of the day's march, giving way to silent and gentle flurries of snow. They may have even been pleasant to stop and watch for a while if the road hadn't accumulated an abundance of the now-partly-frozen precipitation. Poor Jessica's legs are nearly lost in the white sea that fights to keep her down, and Yggdrasil can count her wings to be among her blessings.

By the time the sun begins to set on the second day, the snow and sleet has abated completely. The northern path to Treona's tower takes the group up a few gentle slopes, allowing them to escape the worst of the snow accumulation as well. With a clear road to travel, Jessica and Lirre know for certain that the tower would barely be another three hours of steady marching, but it would have to be done in the relative darkness of the uncivilized wilderness. Worse, with the weather much improved and that same wilderness pressing against the path on both sides, danger is likely to dog their every step no matter if they choose to camp again or set off with daylight.

onlie2005
2015-06-01, 02:36 PM
Again Jessica is braver and somewhat made of sturdier stuff than one would expect from an 11 year old. Her training and experience, though still raw, able to help her through the journey. She was always taught one important lesson, whenever you trek through bad road conditions, unless you were in immediate danger, move slowly and surely. Take your time. And do not rush. It was the best way to conserve energy and avoid accidents.

When it comes time to camp, it is tempting to keep going. But she was also trained to be as cautious on the road as possible. There was no hurry, nobody would die if they did not arrive at the Tower sooner. So she decided.

The Tower is around 3 hours away but it would mean travelling in the dark. I do not have Darkvision so I would rather set up camp in the night then grope blindly ahead even with torches. At least with a campfire we should have a better view of our surroundings and are better prepared if we are set upon.

TurboGhast
2015-06-01, 08:50 PM
Dorn replies to Jessica's suggestion gruffly: "Fine, we should probably stay here." However, his tone of voice shows he wants to keep going, despite the obvious danger.

Merellis
2015-06-01, 09:07 PM
A fuzzy moth with hands and feet lands upon the shoulders of Jessica, a dark raven taking up the opposite part. She crosses her arms and just grins at Dorn. "While I would agree to leave this hour, the chances of being struck in the dark makes that decision a touch dour. I doubt others would enjoy such a lark."

The raven gives a shrill shriek of approval, not entirely enjoying the idea of having to wander these woods in the darkened mess of a cold winter night.

sakuuya
2015-06-01, 10:45 PM
"This isn't an optimal place to stop, but it's not an optimal place to walk through after dark, either," Lirre says with a sigh. "Let's make camp and pray that the weather holds tomorrow for swift travel." Almost unconsciously, her hand moves to the raven's-head holy symbol at her neck.

onlie2005
2015-06-01, 11:54 PM
In a way Jessica could understand what they were feeling. She herself wanted to get to the Tower and a warm bed and much warmer food.

Well I understand if you guys want to keep going but we really have to keep our eyes open for trouble. And we will be relying on our torches. It is not a good idea to travel in the dark even if we stay on the road.

TurboGhast
2015-06-02, 09:14 PM
Dorn begins searching for firewood in the general vicinity after hearing everyone else respond to the floating question of camp here or keep going.

sakuuya
2015-06-08, 02:25 PM
"Don't worry, Jessica," Lirre says as she begins to set up their tent. "I think we're largely of a single mind on this. See, even Dorn's preparing to stay the night."

Lirre is getting very good at setting up a tent while wearing mittens, and after the hassle of the past few nights, she feels like it takes no time at all this evening. "Does anyone else need assistance?" she asks once she's finished.

Amazo
2015-06-09, 10:34 PM
Settling into camp for the night, your new party falls into what will likely become a routine should Treona's quest seem a worthy cause for each of you. Taking the first watch, Jessica spots that her suspicions were well-founded: a pack of wolves lurks clumsily on the remains of the snow and sleet just beyond the wooded edges of the road. Though they lurk in the foliage, what little light that does reach them reflects clearly back to her from their eyes, open as wide as their panting, hungry mouths. If the snow storm had caught this family during a low point of their hunting, this party may seem like a fortunate break for them, leaving them to be the second most dangerous kind of animal: hungry ones. As the girl stares down each of them in turn, they seem to keep their distance, likely hoping for an opening sometime during the night. Throughout her watch, she counts at least five wolves, though it is difficult to tell if they are the same five or if that is merely the most she has seen at once.

onlie2005
2015-06-10, 06:02 PM
Once again, Maria's father's training kicks in. Instead of panicking she keeps cool and collected. Reaching over to Lirre. She shakes the woman awake and says in a low and calm voice, We have visitors. Hungry wolves, at least 5 of them. They seem to be keeping their distance at the edge of the road. But beware. I think we should be ready for anything.

Amazo
2015-06-11, 06:49 AM
The pack maintains its distance throughout all of Jessica's watch until Lirre's turn comes up. Its uneasy rest, but it will have to do given the circumstances. Informed of the situation, Lirre is able to keep a more capable eye on the threats around them. Unfortunately, the fire doesn't seem to be enough to keep them at bay for the whole night: nearing the end of Lirre's watch, two wolves lumber out of the darkness while the others look on, heads low, teeth bared and a rumbling snarl in their throats.

Roll initiative, if you'd kindly.

onlie2005
2015-06-13, 12:21 AM
Jessica is awakened by the approaching wolves.

[roll0]

Amazo
2015-06-18, 03:43 PM
The two wolves approaching from the east are flanked by three packmates from the west, but those seem more tempered in their aggression, less desperate. Nevertheless, the danger is mounting by the minute!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xdK8C-SDBF7iPA41wzvYpClx8QiBRCpZZxSKIs3P9Zo/edit?usp=sharing

sakuuya
2015-06-21, 08:20 AM
Lirre yells a warning to anyone who hasn't yet woken from the sound of battle and then squares herself to face the wolves, curses falling from her lips like sparks. She extends her shield hand, from which grows a clawlike shadow that engulfs one of the wolves.

Since Lirre is way down in the initiative order, I assumed there would be at least one wolf in melee range by the time her turn rolls around.

If there's only 1 adjacent wolf: Warlock's curse + divine challenge + Enfeebling Strike at it.
If there're 2+ adjacent wolves: Warlock's curse + Ardent Strike at one, Divine Challenge on another--both favoring wolves 4 and 5 if they're in range somehow.
If there're 0 adjacent wolves: Warlock's curse + divine challenge + Shadow Claws at the nearest one, favoring wolf 4 or 5 if there's a tie.
Enfeebling/Ardent Strike Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Enfeebling/Ardent Strike Damage: 1d8+1d6+6 = 13 damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19430859&postcount=62)

Shadow Claws Attack: [roll1] vs. Fort
Shadow Claws Damage: 1d10+1d6+4= 12 cold damage + 6 regular damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19430859&postcount=62)
...Yes, I managed to include all three of Lirre's At-Wills in my contingencies. That's not complicated at all!

TurboGhast
2015-06-21, 11:31 AM
Dorn walks so he is both adjacent to his foe and the ally the foe threatens (preferring closer allies), and attacks with a Rune of Protection Word of Binding. The ally gets the AC bonus.

Attack Roll:[roll0]
Damage Roll:[roll1]

Dorn walks to and attacks the nearest wolf with a Rune of Destruction Word of Diminishment.

Attack Roll:[roll2]
Damage Roll:[roll3]

onlie2005
2015-06-21, 01:31 PM
Jessica will unleash two lightning bolts at the nearest wolves.

4: [roll0]
5. [roll1]
Damage if Hit: [roll2]
Reroll natural 1 Damage Roll: [roll3]

If the wolves engage her before she casts the spell, she will shift Z12.

Merellis
2015-06-22, 07:04 AM
Yggdrasil

The pixie takes to the air and charges towards the duo of wolves, her blade moving in such a way that seems as if she is not but a particularly large bumble bee. Her blade slides jabs into the wolf's face and with a snap of her fingers, a blindingly bright light erupts just in front of the beast's eyes.

Minor Action: Activate Bladesong for +2 to HIT and all Defenses, and a +5 to damage.
Standard Action: Charge Attack at Wolf 5 while using flight to skip the difficult terrain.

[roll0] vs AC on Wolf 5
[roll1] damage vs Wolf 5

Activates Dazzling Sunray if she hits Wolf 5 to make the same wolf take 3 RADIANT DAMAGE and take a -2 to HIT.

Current Stats:

AC - 20
FORT - 14
REF - 17
WILL - 16

Amazo
2015-06-22, 08:15 AM
Yggdrasil

Minor Action: Activate Bladesong for +2 to HIT and all Defenses, and a +5 to damage.
Standard Action: Charge Attack at Wolf 5 while using flight to skip the difficult terrain.

[roll0] vs AC on Wolf 5
[roll1] damage vs Wolf 5

Activates Dazzling Sunray if she hits Wolf 5 to make the same wolf take 3 RADIANT DAMAGE and take a -2 to HIT.

Current Stats:

AC - 20
FORT - 14
REF - 17
WILL - 16

Ygdrassil's deft strike sinks her blade's full length, just a few inches, into her target . The beasts whole body is blasted backwards as if the tiny hilt's impact were that of a giant's blade instead a pixie's, leaving it staggered and barely conscious but no less desperate for a meal. It and its flanking cohort on the other side of the party move in, all snarling teeth and drooling jaws. Selecting between two armored targets, the first wolf to move opts to move to attack the one closest to one of its yipping comrades while Yggdrasil's chosen foe simply attacks her back. However, their hunger has seemingly weakened their muscles to the point of being unable to keep up with your swift dodging or penetrate your battle-tested armor.

Wolf 2:
Move: Move to X15
Standard: Bite Dorn
Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Damage: [roll1]

Wolf 5:
Standard: Bite Ygdrassil
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
If successful, Ygdrassil is Grabbed and the wolf will activate an ability to move away with her, knocking her prone in the process.

Amazo
2015-06-22, 08:28 AM
Dorn walks so he is both adjacent to his foe and the ally the foe threatens (preferring closer allies), and attacks with a Rune of Protection Word of Binding. The ally gets the AC bonus.

Attack Roll:[roll0]
Damage Roll:[roll1]

Dorn walks to and attacks the nearest wolf with a Rune of Destruction Word of Diminishment.

Attack Roll:[roll2]
Damage Roll:[roll3]

Dorn rebukes his challenger immediately with a brand of runic energy but fails to deliver it decisively with his weapon. He is caught unawares as the wolf's ally takes the moment to hurriedly circle around him and attempt to unbalance him with a bite at his legs. Meanwhile, Yggdrasil's enemy's partner performs much the same maneuver, attempting to aid its ailing ally. With the differences in size, there is little recourse for the pixie save to try to avoid the impending blow. Yet, even with the element of surprise, the animals cannot hope to strike true with efforts so clumsy with their dizzying appetites.

Wolf 3:
Move: Move to Z17
Attack w/Combat Advantage: [roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] damage and Dorn is Grabbed

Wolf 4:
Move: Move to AC18
Standard: Bite Yggdrasil
Attack w/Combat Advantage: [roll2] vs. AC
Hit: [roll3] damage and Yggdrasil is Grabbed

Amazo
2015-06-22, 08:42 AM
Jessica will unleash two lightning bolts at the nearest wolves.

5. [roll1]
Reroll natural 1 Damage Roll: [roll3]

If the wolves engage her before she casts the spell, she will shift Z12.

The electricity for her spell seems to be drawn up from remaining moisture in the ground before being issued forth in a powerful display. One bolt strikes the wolf with its back turned as it tries to uselessly nip at Yggdrasil, its yelp of pain alerting its packmate in time to dodge the other bolt despite its already hefty injuries. Both bolts dissipate back into your surroundings as quickly they were issued forth shortly afterwards.

Amazo
2015-06-22, 08:52 AM
Since Lirre is way down in the initiative order, I assumed there would be at least one wolf in melee range by the time her turn rolls around.

If there's only 1 adjacent wolf: Warlock's curse + divine challenge + Enfeebling Strike at it.
If there're 2+ adjacent wolves: Warlock's curse + Ardent Strike at one, Divine Challenge on another--both favoring wolves 4 and 5 if they're in range somehow.
If there're 0 adjacent wolves: Warlock's curse + divine challenge + Shadow Claws at the nearest one, favoring wolf 4 or 5 if there's a tie.
Enfeebling/Ardent Strike Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Enfeebling/Ardent Strike Damage: 1d8+1d6+6 = 13 damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19430859&postcount=62)

Shadow Claws Attack: [roll1] vs. Fort
Shadow Claws Damage: 1d10+1d6+4= 12 cold damage + 6 regular damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19430859&postcount=62)
...Yes, I managed to include all three of Lirre's At-Wills in my contingencies. That's not complicated at all!

Squaring her stance in preparation for an assailant that has not yet come, Lirre's shadowy spell lashes out at the larger and nearer of the two wolves assaulting Dorn. The volumeless apparitions rend cruelly at the beast, as itself had attempted to do to Dorn just an instant earlier. Finally, the last wolf manages to shake off its weariness from its prolonged stakeout and join the fray itself. It charges Lirre with a surprising moment of speed, fangs bared. It manages to catch the arm of Lirre's outstretched spellcasting hand before beginning to worry at it and sink its teeth through the armored mesh and flesh between its jaws. With a yank, her arm is freed from its maw, but the damage has already been done.

Move: Move to X14
Standard: Bite Lirre
Attack: [roll0]

onlie2005
2015-06-22, 09:06 AM
Jessica sees Yggdrasil all alone and decides she needs to deal with the two wolves first before helping the others. The electricity rips into both wolves, seriously injuring or killing them. After seeing the damage she has done she will throw in a silver bolt of energy into the mix hoping to free up Yggdrasil so she can help the others.

5. [roll1]
Reroll Natural 1 Damage roll: [roll3]

sakuuya
2015-06-22, 09:30 AM
Lirre readjusts her grip on her sword as she faces off with the wolf that bit her. "Don't worry, Jessica, she calls when she notices the girl glancing her way. "I'll be just fine." She lunges toward the wolf adjacent to her, then shifts around it toward Dorn.

Minor: Curse Wolf 1
Standard: Ardent Strike

Damage:[roll1] (EDIT: Actually, 14 damage because of the critical hit)

Warlock's Curse Damage: [roll2]
Move: Shift to X15

Merellis
2015-06-22, 02:00 PM
Yggdrasil

With a wicked smile and a gleeful laugh the tiny fencer lunges forwards again, her buzzing blade cutting into the beast's flesh and her bright flash of magic hindering the sight of Yggdrasil's foe.

Standard Action: Melee Basic Attack - 21 VS AC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19435118&postcount=2)
Melee Basic Damage - 13 damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19435118&postcount=2)

Free Action: Yggdrasil activates Dazzling Sunray to further hinder her foe with another 3 damage and a -2 to attack rolls. If Wolf 5 is killed by the melee attack, she will target Wolf 4 with the Dazzling Sunray instead.

TurboGhast
2015-06-23, 06:27 AM
Dorn shifts towards Lirre, but this is primary meant as a way to get Wolf 3 out of flanking range. He then attacks wolf 2 with word of diminishment to try to tie it up from moving.

Amazo
2015-06-24, 09:48 AM
Standard Action: Melee Basic Attack - 21 VS AC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19435118&postcount=2)
Melee Basic Damage - 13 damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19435118&postcount=2)

Free Action: Yggdrasil activates Dazzling Sunray to further hinder her foe with another 3 damage and a -2 to attack rolls. If Wolf 5 is killed by the melee attack, she will target Wolf 4 with the Dazzling Sunray instead.

The beast's grievous internal wounds from her previous attack leave it open for an easy riposte when it clumsily retaliated. A quick jab at its exposed neck after its failed lunge slices its vitals cleanly, and the fae-given supernatural force behind her blow may very well have snapped some bone within to secure the kill.

Deftly blasting her ray of sunshine over a shoulder, it is easy to catch that creature unawares as well: why should it expect a bolt of light to dazzle its face when it has its back to the only light source for miles?

Meanwhile, with an ally in position, one of the wolves before Dorn sets about the difficult task of dragging him down to the ground. Both their mighty frames ensure the struggle to be a mighty one indeed. In the end though, the beast manages to leverage its claws and teeth into his flesh and successfully drags him down to ground. He can almost imagine them smiling as the two beasts prepare to set upon him fully.

Wolf 5 has been slain.

Wolf 2:
Attack with Combat Advantage: [roll0]
Hit: [roll1] and Dorn is knocked Prone

Amazo
2015-06-24, 10:00 AM
Dorn shifts towards Lirre, but this is primary meant as a way to get Wolf 3 out of flanking range. He then attacks wolf 2 with word of diminishment to try to tie it up from moving.

With a combat roll, impressive due to his armor, Dorn manages to avoid a pair of mistimed blows from his assailants, but his prone position makes finding the proper angle to attack with his axe impossible for the moment. Things become increasingly dire as the wolf he had just escaped the clutches of moves back into position for the kill. Illuminated by the crackling fire next to it, it looks for all the world to Dorn like a hellhound as it attempts to set back upon him. Despite its advantageous position though, the creature manages to nip at the same armored greave it had attempted to use to drag Dorn down earlier, leaving him unscathed further than he was.

Meanwhile, Yggdrasil's blinded foe takes a tepid swipe at her with its paws. Though the move seems more exploratory due to its partial blindness, the difference in size and jagged claws ensure that avoiding the claws would be preferable to not. Unfortunately, the attacks erratic and unpredictable movement prove to be too great a challenge to dodge in that instant, and a claw rakes against the tiny fae being's flesh.

Wolf 3:
Move: Shift to Z17, provoking an Attack of Opportunity from Dorn
Attack with Combat Advantage: [roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] (special ability vs. Prone targets) damage

Wolf 4:
Attack with -2 penalty: [roll2] vs. AC
Hit: [roll3]

Amazo
2015-06-24, 10:08 AM
5. [roll1]
Reroll Natural 1 Damage roll: [roll3]

The bolts, now coming more naturally to Jessica's fingertips with that bit of practice, strike both targets through. Seeing Dorn's predicament, she understands the need to free Yggdrasil from her entanglement to join the rest of the fray and manages to sputter out a second incantation under the duress of the battle. The transparent bubbles of force unerringly find their target and manage to knock the beast into at least unconsciousness.

Amazo
2015-06-24, 10:19 AM
Minor: Curse Wolf 1
Standard: Ardent Strike

Damage:[roll1] (EDIT: Actually, 14 damage because of the critical hit)

Warlock's Curse Damage: [roll2]

The mixtures of magic flowing from Lirre and her blade prove a potent force as she plunges her blade deep into one of the animal's haunches, targeting the same point Jessica's lightning struck for maximum effect. The beast yowl's pitifully, but nevertheless tries to snap at its rival even as she is drawing her weapon from its wound, though it is unable to reach a proper angle to attack her in time before her next action.

Wolf 1: Bite Lirre
Hit: [roll1]

sakuuya
2015-06-24, 11:14 AM
Lirre's blade plunges again into a wolf. She yells a wordless challenge to the remaining beasts, daring them to come face their fate.

Move: If none of the remaining wolves are adjacent to Lirre, she moves adjacent to at least 1 of them (without provoking an AoO, if possible). A square that's also adjacent to Dorn is preferred.
Minor: If Wolf 2 or 3 is now adjacent to Lirre, Warlock's Curse on it. If not, Divine Challenge on Wolf 1.
Standard: (Rolls) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19445476&postcount=4)

If 2+ wolves are still standing, Valorous Smite on least-damaged adjacent wolf.
Otherwise, Ardent Strike on the remaining wolf.

One way or another, all remaining wolves are under Lirre's Divine Sanction and will take 7 damage if they attack anyone else before the start of her next turn.

Merellis
2015-06-24, 11:32 AM
Yggdrasil

She turns as the wolf behind the pixie falls to magic, setting her sights on poor Dorn surrounded by wolves. If she wanted to get into that mess she was going to need a bit of help, and Yggdrasil knew just the creature to do so! The pixie made a harsh sound, akin to that of a raven, and received one in turn as Lateu dove upon one of Dorn's attackers!

Sufficiently distracted by Lateu, the minuscule bladesinger shoots off like a cannon, her wings fluttering and blade buzzing louder than ever as she meets her companion at the wolf's head and viciously sinks her blade into the back of it's neck!

And if that wasn't enough of a trick to pull off for this tiny fae, her palm strike towards Dorn's other attacker would certainly be the most interesting of ones given the fact it was soon met by the bludgeoning force of her magic!

Minor Action: Call on Lateu to distract Wolf 3 with Distracting Attack from the Animal Master theme.
Standard Action: Charge on Wolf 3 with her flying abilities to avoid the grassy issues and ends at AA16. She attacks for 26 vs AC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19445604&postcount=5) and does 23 damage to Wolf 3!
Free Action: Casts Unseen Hand on Wolf 2 to slide it through the fire into AA14 and away from Dorn!
EDIT: Due to misreading Bladesong, changing damage and attack roll accordingly.

onlie2005
2015-06-24, 12:58 PM
Thinking that the pixie will attack the wolf to Dorn's right, Jessica unleashes her lightning once again on the wolves.

Arc Lightning 1: [roll0]
Arc Lightning 2: [roll1] Use Heroic Effort Human Encounter Power to add +4 to attack roll making it 16.
Reroll Natural 1 Damage: [roll3]

Amazo
2015-06-25, 07:06 PM
Minor Action: Call on Lateu to distract Wolf 3 with Distracting Attack from the Animal Master theme.
Standard Action: Charge on Wolf 3 with her flying abilities to avoid the grassy issues and ends at AA16. She attacks for 26 vs AC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19445604&postcount=5) and does 23 damage to Wolf 3!
Free Action: Casts Unseen Hand on Wolf 2 to slide it through the fire into AA14 and away from Dorn!
EDIT: Due to misreading Bladesong, changing damage and attack roll accordingly.

With another surprisingly forceful blow, the wolf staggers heavily under the heavy toll of the grievous injury. However, it manages to stay on its feet for at least to try just one more bite! Its flanking partner is similarly misfortunate as it is dragged despite its twisting and writhing body into the crackling embers of the campfire, the tips of its fur and scruff igniting with a flash. It yelps its pain and hops back out immediately, seeking vengeance on the barely visible fae creature responsible for its suffering. Its rage-induced tunnel vision gives it just the ferocity it needs to nearly swallow the pixie whole, but she instead manages to escape the fate by tumbling out of its maw onto the grass below.

Wolf 2 Damage: [roll0]
Move: Move to AB 17
Attack: [roll1] Edit: With Combat Advantage, this hits.
Damage: [roll2] and Yggdrasil is knocked prone

Amazo
2015-06-27, 02:18 PM
Dorn rolls away from the wolf on his heels and jumps to his feet while it distracts itself with Yggdrasil. He draws a rune in blue fire in the air before it appears on Yggdrasil's blade before her. She feels renewed despite her wounds, though they begin to close through his ancient magics. The wolf the huge half-orc avoided pays him no mind as it seeks to further maim the pixie that its packmate had begun tearing into.

Dorn:
Standard: Stand
Minor: Rune of Mending
Yggdrasil may spend a healing surge. Additionally, everyone receives a +2 bonus to all damage rolls until the end of Dorn's next turn.

Wolf 3:
Attack with Combat Advantage: [roll0] vs. AC

Thinking that the pixie will attack the wolf to Dorn's right, Jessica unleashes her lightning once again on the wolves.

Arc Lightning 1: [roll0]
Arc Lightning 2: [roll1] Use Heroic Effort Human Encounter Power to add +4 to attack roll making it 16.
Reroll Natural 1 Damage: [roll3]

With the ambient runic energy empowering her lightning strikes, Jessica's bolts manage to fell two of the remaining wolves in one swoop! No longer threatened by her wolf, Lirre takes the opportunity to charge at the remaining beast and slay it with one more divinely-fueled stroke of her sword. In that last flash of action, the fight has ended and the night grows quiet once again, save for the heavy breathing of the victorious side of the battle.

The party receives 110 XP each for defeating these wolves! The opening post in the OOC is updated.

TurboGhast
2015-06-28, 04:53 PM
Dorn procedes to bandage up himself, Lirre, and Ygdrassil to help them recuperate from the injuries sustained in the skirmish. He also adds more kindling to the fire.

Amazo
2015-06-28, 05:03 PM
Clearing the bodies away from the campsite to deter any further attempts on the camp takes just a few minutes, and falling back to bed is easy after the adrenaline of battle wears off. Thankfully, the rest of the night goes by with hardly a sound from the surrounding forest. In the morning, each of you feel refreshed despite having your rest disturbed the night before. With those predators dealt with, the short trek the rest of the way to Treona's tower seems like it will definitely be safe. With nothing left to tie you to the spot, you set off.

Despite the relative briskness of the winter morning, the storm's icy mush in the ground has undergone the process to sink fully into the soil. These conditions would have been lovely a few days ago, but such is the fickleness of nature. Soon enough into the pleasant enough stroll, the tower is in sight, and despite the daylight, Treona has a light lit at the tower's peak to guide Jessica and Lirre back to her.

A figure blocks the light when the tower is within a mile's walk for a moment before rushing out of view. A few moments later the door opens and two figures rush outside, running towards you. As you draw nearer to each other, you see an older woman clad in purple, hoisting her robes up to allow her to run more freely, and a pale pink-skinned tiefling man in fine clothes keeping pace easily with her. He is much younger than the elderly woman but is still no younger than middle-aged. When they meet you, they don't spare a moment for a greeting at all before the woman, Treona, presumably, scoops Jessica into her arms and hugs her dearly.

"You've made it back to me, my child!" she nearly shouts. Her caring eyes open to look towards Lirre, "Thank you, warrior. You do your order justice." She then takes stock of the rest of you standing with her precious apprentice and tries to bring some semblance of respectability back to her bearing. "I assume the rest of you are here then for the rumors, yes? If you helped kept my girl safe too, I am also indebted to you. Please come inside, Alkirk here has quite a selection of teas to warm your bones."

With a polite cough, the tiefling excuses himself from much of a formal introduction. "Yes, quite." He manages before turning on his boot's heel to lead the way back. Both of them do manage to introduce themselves on the way back to the tower proper though. The woman is indeed Treona, as Lirre and Jessica both knew immediately. She is a wizard and researcher of arcane artifacts of the Nentir Vale. It was her research that uncovered the existence of the last slaying stone, but only because of the contributions of her benefactor, Kiris Alkirk. With his monetary contributions to her research and his access to some of his family's records, she was able to account for each stone between the records and aggregated tales of their use since the town's fall. Alkirk explains his family was actually the founding line of the nearby town of Kiris Dahn when it was still a part of the tiefling empire of Bael Turath, and that he is the last member of the lineage that he is aware of. He wishes to make amends for the sins of his people by ensuring the destruction of one of the iconic representations of the tainted nature of the tiefling empire.

After their introductions, you reach the tower proper. Treona invites you all inside to ask any questions you have about the quest she would have you undertake.

onlie2005
2015-06-28, 07:39 PM
Jessica is more than genuinely pleased to return Treona's hug. She missed the woman and truly regarded her as the mother she never had.

Aside from the weather we also had a few uninvited visitors in the form of hungry wolves last night. Kinda ruined my beauty sleep so if I seem crankier than normal blame them., Jessica says with a rather sly wit.

She lets the adults talk as she heads to the Tower, in rather a hurry really, running faster than the rest. But she lets the others catch up to her when she reaches the door. Then hurries inside before anyone can say anything.

TurboGhast
2015-07-03, 11:42 AM
Dorn asks Treona, "What do the slaying stones actually do?"

Amazo
2015-07-07, 11:17 PM
Dorn asks Treona, "What do the slaying stones actually do?"

Treona falls into her archetypal look of a wizened storyteller quite well as she draws you all in to take a cup of tea from her before beginning her tale. This particular question, however, does not allow her much room for a drawn out explanation. Still, she tries to string the group along with a lengthy description of the underlying magical principles that the slaying stones manipulate to perform their function. A polite cough from Alkirk reels her back in to what she definitely understood to be the actual point of the question. With a quick glare at her benefactor, she returns her attention to the gathered adventurers with a kindly smile, "Not to put too fine a point on it, but the stones slay people, as their name might suggest. Though the magic that gives them their function is not infallible and can theoretically be overcome with the innate resilience of something akin to a powerful fiend, they are more than powerful enough to slay virtually every member of the mortal races that has walked this plane. There operation is similarly powerful in its simplicity: one need simply toss the stone at its target for the magic to take hold. With such easy power within their grasp, scarce few who have gotten their hands on a stone have been able to hold on to it for long without taking advantage of its power for nefarious purpose. Those that do find another aspect of the stones' power: it has but one use. In the high times of Bael Turath, the dark rituals that allowed the construction of slaying stones took place nearly constantly to arm border towns and outposts with a surefire means of defense against encroaching armies, monsters, and monstrous hordes."

sakuuya
2015-07-10, 10:56 AM
Lirre patiently tunes out the technical parts of Treona's explanation; she's used to this. Besides, knowing what the stone does isn't going to help find it, so she asks: "In your research, did you find any hints of where the stone might be located? Bael Turath is a large and dangerous place to comb for something as small as a single stone. I would appreciate any guidance you could provide, milady."

Amazo
2015-07-10, 03:49 PM
Lirre patiently tunes out the technical parts of Treona's explanation; she's used to this. Besides, knowing what the stone does isn't going to help find it, so she asks: "In your research, did you find any hints of where the stone might be located? Bael Turath is a large and dangerous place to comb for something as small as a single stone. I would appreciate any guidance you could provide, milady."

"An astute request! I would not have you search an entire city in the hopes of finding a single stone without some means of locating it, my dear. That is actually the very reason I had you escort Lirre for these reagents." She uncorks the scroll case and pours a small handful of the magical dust within to verify its contents before carefully pouring it back into its container.

"This residuum is the only reagent versatile enough to fuel the magics for a new ritual I have researched. It will search an area for the presence of the stone, or else indicate its most likely direction to guide you further. Before you leave for Kiris Dahn, I will teach the ritual to Jessica and give you this reagent to take with you. You shall have enough for three castings, but that should be more than sufficient given the area it searches and the relative smallness of the city. I would have preferred to simply scribe scrolls for your use instead, but..." She casts an accusatory eye at her young apprentice, "I know how curious my little one is. She'd have it scribed to her book within an hour of leaving my tower, I'm sure."

onlie2005
2015-07-12, 06:47 PM
Jessica somewhat smiles shyly and embarrassed. There were times when she wished Treona trusted her more but in some ways she understands. She was a very curious child and she would never use anything for nefarious purposes. So she remains silent and continues to listen to the adults talk. She does ask Treona something though.

Do we have a map of the city, at least one that is recent enough that we may be able to navigate through it more easily?