PDA

View Full Version : Quarterstaff Mook (PF)

Keiger
2015-05-11, 02:54 PM
SO... I was messing around with the new monk that was presented in the new book "Pathfinder Unchained" when I happened upon a thought. Full BaB, un-penalized flurry with monk weapons, two-handed staff. I have been optimizing for a bit now and need some opinions on possible ways way to make it better. I decided to go with tripping because of all the extra attacks I can get.

Human
Monk 1/Fighter 5 (Martial Master)
Quarterstaff (Shillelagh'd)

Feats:
Human: Step Up
L1: Power Attack
L1M1: Combat Reflexes
L2F1: Stand Still
L3: Steady Engagement
L3F2: Combat Expertise
L5: Improved Trip
L5F4: Vicious Stomp
The issue I am running into is that I am unable to pick up both Greater Trip and Felling Smash. But not only that, I cant get either of them due to feat spacing. I'm using Martial Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/martial-master)'s Martial Flexibility to get around this but it is not my preferred solution.
Sand Still and Steady engagement are optionals that I'm just filling themed space with. So, any ideas?

Psyren
2015-05-11, 03:39 PM
Did you mean "Quarterstaff Monk" rather than "Mook" up there? It looks like you're building a full PC rather than a speed bump enemy.

Personally I would skip Stand Still and Steady Engagement - if they provoke for moving past/away from you, you can just trip them as your AoO anyway, without using your immediate action or burning two feats, and that should stop them from moving regardless. What's more, you're more likely to succeed, because unlike Stand Still, the normal trip will get all your trip bonuses like Improved Trip and your Gauntlets of the Skilled Maneuver. This should also free up those two feats you were trying to get.

Since you're using Unchained, definitely squeeze Combat Stamina in there (for free if possible, as one of your feats if not) - this will get you Improved Trip without needing 13 Int, making you less MAD as now you can drop down to 10, and also add more benefits to all the feats you've selected above.

Keiger
2015-05-11, 08:27 PM
So, I was pointed towards the 3.5 feat Knock-Down instead of Felling Smash. If it is available by GM to use 3.5 stuff in your path game then it is infinitely better.

Feint's End
2015-05-12, 05:35 AM
So, I was pointed towards the 3.5 feat Knock-Down instead of Felling Smash. If it is available by GM to use 3.5 stuff in your path game then it is infinitely better.

Knockdown is 3.0 and even some 3.5 dms won't allow it. Of course if you can get it its awesome.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-12, 05:47 AM
Knockdown is 3.0 and even some 3.5 dms won't allow it. Of course if you can get it its awesome.

Pretty sure Races of Stone is 3.5 material, actually. If it was printed in a 3.0 book, it got updated. Needs Powerful Build, but if you're playing a weapon-using character having that trait is useful anyways. And since this is Pathfinder, LA isn't an issue, so you can start off a normal game as a Goliath or Half-Giant with no penalty. Preferably the latter, since they've been updated to Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant) by DSP.

Yanisa
2015-05-12, 06:50 AM
Pretty sure Races of Stone is 3.5 material, actually. If it was printed in a 3.0 book, it got updated. Needs Powerful Build, but if you're playing a weapon-using character having that trait is useful anyways. And since this is Pathfinder, LA isn't an issue, so you can start off a normal game as a Goliath or Half-Giant with no penalty. Preferably the latter, since they've been updated to Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant) by DSP.

You are talking about Knockback. Which is a bullrush feat not a trip feat.

Knock-Down is a 3.0 trip feat, which started in Sword and Fist and got reprinted in Deities and Demigods. That last part means it also on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown).

There is a lot of discussion on it too... It's a feat with a vague history.
Because it's on the SRD people often call this 3.5 or compatible with 3.5. Doesn't change the act it's a 3.0 feat though.
Also it got errata but that errata was not included in the reprint to Deities and Demigods or the SRD, so people call out the errata as being wrong. The errata basically makes it a sort of "Felling Smash" as the errata says you can only use the feat on a single attack action.
Edit: Also according the SRD it's a deity only feat too.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-12, 07:42 AM
You are talking about Knockback. Which is a bullrush feat not a trip feat.

Knock-Down is a 3.0 trip feat, which started in Sword and Fist and got reprinted in Deities and Demigods. That last part means it also on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown).

Huh. I guess my confusion came from the fact that I knew there was a RoS feat that was important for a specific combat maneuver build, but I got trip-lockdown mixed up with Dungeoncrasher. Thanks for catching my error.