PDA

View Full Version : VoP + Relics?

j_spencer93
2015-05-11, 03:54 PM
Just curious, would you allow a character a relic if they found one? They do not count as magic items, blah blah blah. It seems they wrote them to literally bypass the options of that feat mostly.

Necroticplague
2015-05-11, 05:13 PM
Not owning magic items is just one of the restriction of VoP. I would not allow it, because of the highlighted clauses.

To fulfill your vow, you must not own or use any material possessions, with the following exceptions: you may carry and use ordinary (neither magic nor masterwork) simple weapons, usually just a quarterstaff that serves as a walking stick. You may wear simple clothes (usually just a homespun robe, possibly also including a hat and sandals) with no magical properties. You may carry enough food to sustain you for one day in a simple (nonmagic) sack or bag. You may carry and use a spell component pouch. You may not use any magic item of any sort, though you can benefit from magic items used on your behalf -- you can drink a potion of cure serious wounds a friend gives you, receive a spell cast from a wand, scroll, or staff, or ride on your companion's ebony fly. You may not, however, "borrow" a cloak of resistance or any other magic item from a companion for even a single round, nor may you yourself cast a spell from a scroll, wand, or staff.
Even if they are not magic items (which is debatable in and of itself, as they 'are not magic items in the traditional sense', which can be read as 'they are magic items in some sense'), they still have magical properties. If you wanna get around your Vow, just do what everyone else does and either have your party members pay to get you grafts (using the share of the treasure that you don't get), or pick up Sculpt Self.

j_spencer93
2015-05-11, 05:15 PM
This was unrelated to trying to get around the vow. Was just curious because the way it was worded. The relics don't interest me actually.

TheIronGolem
2015-05-11, 05:16 PM
Nuh-uh, you can use relics, and your DM totally HAS to give them to you because ow ow ow hey everyone stop throwing rotten fruit at me, how is that even possible?

Brookshw
2015-05-11, 05:16 PM
Yes I'd let them keep it. Also this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?310471-VoP-doesn-t-suck).

j_spencer93
2015-05-11, 05:22 PM
The way i read them i thought they would be allowed. But really i don't see it coming up. Was just wondering what others thought.

Necroticplague
2015-05-11, 07:10 PM
The way i read them i thought they would be allowed. But really i don't see it coming up. Was just wondering what others thought.

And what is that way? Even disregarding whether they are magic or not (they are), they certainly aren't ordinary (for the weapons), and none appear to be clothes, spell component pouches, or food in a sack.