PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The D&D 5th Edition Monk: Way of the Jedi

Marcelinari
2015-05-11, 06:33 PM
So, given all the hubbub about Star Wars recently and my own netflix-binging of The Clone Wars, I felt the urgent need to create a Monk archetype which adequately describe the Jedi. This homebrew owes a lot to the older Jedi Monk archetype posted here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-369774.html) by... 'Human Paragon 3', I think? Credit where credit is due.

This archetype is a Force-based adaptation of the Way of Four Elements Monk. I tried to balance the thematic elements of the archetype with useful spells, so hopefully it's interesting and useful, and like the 4 elements, I tried to neatly divide the force powers into 4 categories. You decide how well I did. I also lowered the ki-costs a little, because hot damn Way of Four Elements is tough on your ki.

Archetype - Way of the Force

At level 3 all Jedi receive the Force User power and one other of their choice. Additionally, all Jedi automatically know if any creature within 60ft has a ki pool, and can learn how much ki remains in the pool by spending an action.

Force User: The Jedi can cast the Mage Hand cantrip at will, and the Jump spell as a bonus action once per short or long rest.

Blademaster Path

1) Saber Master: The Jedi is proficient with longswords and treats them as monk weapons. Additionally, as a bonus action a Jedi can expend 1 ki point to infuse a monk weapon with the Force for one minute, increasing all bonuses to hit and damage using the weapon by +1 and causing it to glow as if under the effect of the Light cantrip. While infused with the force, the weapon counts as magic.

2) Force Enhance: A Jedi can cast Enhance Ability as a 2nd level spell by expending 2 ki points. Requires level 6.

3) Force Speed: A Jedi can cast Haste as a 3rd level spell by expending 3 ki points. Requires level 11.

4) Powerful Blows: A Jedi can cast Staggering Smite as a 4th level spell by expending 4 ki points. Requires level 17.

Telekinetic Path

1) Force Push: As an action, the Jedi can spend 2 ki points to target one creature within 30ft. If the creature fails a Strength saving throw, it takes 2d10 bludgeoning damage, is pushed 20ft in the direction of the Jedi's choice and is knocked prone. The Jedi can spend additional ki points to target additional creatures, one ki point for each additional target. If the creature succeeds on its saving throw, the damage is halved and the creature is neither knocked prone nor pushed back.

2) Force Hold: A Jedi can cast Hold Person as a 2nd level spell by expending 2 ki points. Requires level 6.

3) Force Levitation: A Jedi can cast Fly as a 3rd level spell by expending 3 ki points. Requires level 11.

4) True Telekinesis: A Jedi can cast Telekinesis as a 5th level spell by expending 5 ki points. Requires level 17.

Dark Sider Path

1) Force Choke: As an action, the Jedi can spend 2 ki point to target 1 creature within 30ft. If the creature fails a Constitution saving throw, it takes 1d10 necrotic damage and is restrained until the end of its next round. The Jedi can spend additional ki points to increase the damage by 1d10 per point. If the creature succeeds on its saving throw, the damage is halved and the creature is not restrained.

2) Force Lightning: A Jedi can cast Witch Bolt as a 2rd level spell by expending 2 ki points. Requires level 6.

3) Unleash Fear: A Jedi can cast Phantasmal Killer as a 4th level spell by expending 4 ki points. Requires level 11.

4) Control Minds: A Jedi can cast Dominate Person as a 5th level spell by expending 5 ki points. Requires level 17.

Meditation Path

1) Sense Presence: As a bonus action, the Jedi can spend 1 ki point to immediately discern the location of all creatures within 30ft. The Jedi does not suffer disadvantage from being unable to properly see creatures discerned in this way, and is aware of the identity of each creature with which he is personally familiar. Creatures immune to divination magic cannot be located by this effect.

2) Mind Trick: A Jedi can cast Suggestion as a 2nd level spell by expending 2 ki points. Requires level 6.

3) Mind Connection: A Jedi can cast Sending as a 4th level spell by expending 4 ki points. Requires level 11.

4) Force Commune: A Jedi can cast Contact Other Plane or Scrying as 5th level spells by expending 5 ki points each. Requires level 17.

Thoughts, comments, and concerns welcome. Force Choke especially. The 'restrained' condition is pretty powerful.