PDA

View Full Version : deliver touch spell by throwing the familer

With a box
2015-05-11, 10:53 PM
1. I cast a touch spell. and make familer as toucher.
2. throw familer(let's say, a rat) to enemy.
3. thrown familer makes a touch attack to target when it hits.
4. ???
5. profit?

Can I do this? or is there a build that throws familers?

what I want to is throwing a familer(a halfling, animal companion, etc...) as arcane caster, delivering touch spell is just a poor justification of it:smallbiggrin:

JDL
2015-05-11, 11:06 PM
There's the Races of Stone feat Fling Ally, but it requires Str 19, size large or larger (powerful build counts) and either 'Rock Hurling' (a feat for throwing labrador-sized rocks at people) or racial rock-throwing abilties (most giants).

Note that throwing anything is typically a Standard Action, so unless the spell you're casting is a free action such as with Quicken, you can't throw your familiar until the next round. Also note that familiars are usually tiny creatures, have 0 ft. reach, and would have to enter the enemy's square to touch them, provoking an attack of opportunity in the process. Unless you're delivering a buff spell to an ally, using your familiar to deliver offensive touch range spells is a bad idea.

Troacctid
2015-05-11, 11:12 PM
Were your familiar's wings cut off or something? Just have it fly there under its own power. I can't think of a build where you would ever want to invest multiple feats to be able to throw your familiar, instead of just taking Improved Familiar to get it a faster fly speed.

JDL
2015-05-11, 11:17 PM
I'm also assuming you know about the Spectral Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spectralHand.htm) spell to deliver touch spells at range, and simply can't use it due to banning necromancy or the like.

deuxhero
2015-05-11, 11:24 PM
I never considered this before. I want to do this regardless of how viable it is now.

It should be easier in Pathfinder as Throw Anything is a single feat with low requirements.

Bronk
2015-05-12, 06:02 AM
You know, I think this would work! When you cast a spell that would work with this, you have to already be touching your familiar anyway, so as long as you were already holding the familiar in one hand ready to throw, you wouldn't have to touch it again to pick it up, which would discharge the spell.

"If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges."

You'd think that would also mean that if you then threw your familiar and hit, it would discharge on the target!

I agree, though, that you'd probably need the 'throw anything' feat to avoid the -4 modifier for non proficiency and to avoid hurting the little guy.

With a box
2015-05-13, 08:31 PM
what kind of familiar would be most look good when thrown?
a chicken?

Troacctid
2015-05-13, 08:58 PM
a chicken?

Probably a Warforged Artificer's shuriken weapon familiar.

Dexam
2015-05-13, 10:31 PM
a chicken?

Skunk familiar from Dragon #280.
Take biological warfare in D&D to new and terrifying levels.

ShurikVch
2015-05-14, 06:32 AM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/ShurikV4/ezgif.com-gif-maker_zpsdrye3cp4.gif

Gracht Grabmaw
2015-05-14, 08:59 AM
Get a viper as your familiar, teach it to stay perfectly rigid and shoot it like an arrow like Thulsa Doom in the Schwarzenegger Conan movie.

atemu1234
2015-05-14, 09:04 AM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/ShurikV4/ezgif.com-gif-maker_zpsdrye3cp4.gif

This is win.

Psyren
2015-05-14, 09:14 AM
This is a bad idea because throwing would require a separate action. The free attack you get as part of a touch spell has to be a melee touch attack, so you would have to cast the spell and then fling your familiar on the following round unless the spell was a swift action. Whereas if the familiar moves under its own power it is using its own actions instead of yours.

It also doesn't alleviate the principal problem with relying on your familiar to touch for you - namely that familiars are frail and using them in combat makes the GM much more likely to target them.

paranoidbox
2015-05-14, 11:42 AM
It also doesn't alleviate the principal problem with relying on your familiar to touch for you - namely that familiars are frail and using them in combat makes the GM much more likely to target them.

Probably should use a Pet Rock Familiar then.

Troacctid
2015-05-14, 12:26 PM
Probably should use a Pet Rock Familiar then.

You mean a psicrystal? It could work, but it still doesn't solve the action cost.

ShurikVch
2015-05-14, 12:30 PM
The Pet Rock (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20020322a)

Nibbens
2015-05-14, 12:45 PM
Um... What would be the harm in making sure the animal had a fly speed - chicken would be good - template it after a raven or something, then cast the spell and have the chicken "fly" to the target except flavortext it as being "thrown." The chicken/raven then makes an attack at the end of its movement.