PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ranger Archetype - Deadeye [PEACH]

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-11, 11:14 PM
Deadeye
Whether a warrior dedicated to extreme precision or a boisterous fighter with a keen eye, the Deadeye focuses all of their potential on ranged and thrown weapons.

Aim
Beginning at 3rd level, you can use the Attack action to target your foes with extreme accuracy. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the attack action, this action replaces one of them. If you have a light weapon in both hands, you can use a bonus action to make a ranged weapon attack roll with one of them, as the Two Weapon Fighting feature.

Choose a creature within maximum range of a ranged or thrown weapon you are currently wielding. You have advantage on the next attack roll you make against that creature with this weapon, until the end of your next turn.

Marksman
Beginning at 7th level, your ranged and thrown weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. Additionally, the maximum range of your ranged and throw weapon attacks is doubled.

Called Shot
At 11th level, you are able to use your supernatural accuracy to inflict greater damage on your foe. Whenever you use your Aim feature, you can use a bonus action to call a shot. If the called shot hits, the target takes an additional 3d8 damage. Depending on the nature of the called shot, your DM might impose a secondary effect to the attack, at the cost of firing through disadvantage, half-cover, three-quarters-cover, etc.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum once). You regain expended uses after a short or long rest.

Staggershot
By 15th level, your unerring accuracy causes your foes to completely lose their momentum. Whenever you hit a creature with a ranged or thrown weapon attack, you can magically force the creature to make a Constitution saving throw. A creature fails this save automatically on a critical hit. On a failed save, the target is paralyzed for 1 minute. A target can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of their turns, ending the condition on them on a success.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

DEADEYE 1.1 CHANGES
Adjusted the Aim feature to no longer require concentration, and it now plays much more nicely with Two Weapon Fighting.

Got rid of the sharpshooter-style bonus to Marskman, instead increased the maximum range of ranged and thrown weapons.

Changed Called Shot to a bonus action, and clarified some other things a DM might want to add to the Called Shot attack. Also added a WIS/rest limit to the number of called shots.

OLD VERSIONS
Aim
Beginning at 3rd level, you can use the Attack action to target your foes with extreme accuracy. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the attack action, this action replaces one of them.

Choose a creature within maximum range of a ranged or thrown weapon you are currently wielding. You have advantage on the next attack roll you make against that creature with this weapon for as long as you maintain concentration, until the end of your next turn (as if concentrating on a spell).

At 11th level, you no longer need to maintain concentration to Aim.

Marksman
Beginning at 7th level, your ranged and thrown weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. Additionally, attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged or thrown weapon attack rolls.

Called Shot
At 11th level, you are able to use your supernatural accuracy to inflict greater damage on your foe. Whenever you use your Aim feature, you can forgo gaining advantage to instead call a shot. If the called shot hits, the target takes an additional 3d8 damage.

Depending on the nature of the called shot, your DM might impose advantage or disadvantage on the attack, or a secondary effect in addition to the damage.

Staggershot
By 15th level, your unerring accuracy causes your foes to completely lose their momentum. Whenever you hit a creature with a ranged or thrown weapon attack, you can magically force the creature to make a Constitution saving throw. A creature fails this save automatically on a critical hit, unless that creature is immune to critical hits. On a failed save, the target is paralyzed for 1 minute. A target can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of their turns, ending the condition on them on a success.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

I'm a little worried that some of these features are underwhelming at the level you obtain them, or potentially too strong. Feedback is appreciated!

Ghost Dragon
2015-05-12, 05:43 AM
I love the idea of the Deadeye so will try my best to give good suggestions.

Aim

Beginning at 3rd level, you can use the Attack action to target your foes with extreme accuracy. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the attack action, this action replaces one of them.

Choose a creature within maximum range of a ranged or thrown weapon you are currently wielding. You have advantage on the next attack roll you make against that creature with this weapon for as long as you maintain concentration, until the end of your next turn (as if concentrating on a spell).

At 11th level, you no longer need to maintain concentration to Aim.

Aim seems to be underpowered as it takes an action to activate, and without the hunter hoard breaker ability you are aiming for one whole round to get advantage on your single next shot. There is also a rules clash between gaining advantage on a shot within maximum range, where after short range it would simply be a shot without disadvantage after taking the Aim action. I know that's still better, but seems to undercut the idea of Aim. This whole Deadeye feel would go great with the Sharp Shooter Feat, and as such I would avoid stepping on that Feat's toes when designing abilities.

I would say make it a bonus action for the first single shot you make, or make it concentration up to one minute, where you can swap to another target using a bonus action, and make it usable only a number of times per day equal to Wisdom mod with a long rest recharge. That may be too powerful, but as you are not getting any damage increase compared to Hunter, I think that's balanced.

Marksman
Beginning at 7th level, your ranged and thrown weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. Additionally, attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged or thrown weapon attack rolls.

I love the first part of this, straight forward and thematic. The second part is given in the Sharp Shooter Feat so I would avoid that if possible. Instead maybe something like "Additionally, you may double the long range increment on any ranged or thrown weapon attacks you make" or something to that effect, even a static increase of %50 if double is to much. Gives the whole sniper feel to the marksman theme.

Called Shot
At 11th level, you are able to use your supernatural accuracy to inflict greater damage on your foe. Whenever you use your Aim feature, you can forgo gaining advantage to instead call a shot. If the called shot hits, the target takes an additional 3d8 damage.

Depending on the nature of the called shot, your DM might impose advantage or disadvantage on the attack, or a secondary effect in addition to the damage.

This is a nice damage bonus. I like it. Whether this stays balanced will have a lot to do Aim at 3rd level. I would get rid of the DM ruling effect, and replace it with something that imposes a specific condition or choice of conditions, something defensive (aka 'Ambush' you get 3d8 damage per attack during surprise round and enemies have disadvantage on attack rolls against you for the first round of combat), or flavourful that isnt related specifically to combat (aka 'Stalker' You gain advantage on stealth rolls while in and out of combat as long as you are in dim light or darkness) I'm just spit-balling idea's here so take them with a grain of salt :smallwink:

Staggershot
By 15th level, your unerring accuracy causes your foes to completely lose their momentum. Whenever you hit a creature with a ranged or thrown weapon attack, you can magically force the creature to make a Constitution saving throw. A creature fails this save automatically on a critical hit, unless that creature is immune to critical hits. On a failed save, the target is paralyzed for 1 minute. A target can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of their turns, ending the condition on them on a success.

This makes me smile, its seems quite balanced and comparable to other 15th level abilities for RAW rangers. I would change the part in bold though so it just has auto fail on a critial. In a new 5e world where rogues can sneak attack undead, I don't see an issue with this, and they can still save on successive rounds, it just means on a crit you have a guaranteed one round of paralysis which is not game breaking in my opinion, and fits the theme well I think. Hope this was helpful :smallsmile:

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-12, 06:08 AM
I love the idea of the Deadeye so will try my best to give good suggestions.
Thanks for your feedback! :D

Aim seems to be underpowered as it takes an action to activate, and without the hunter hoard breaker ability you are aiming for one whole round to get advantage on your single next shot. There is also a rules clash between gaining advantage on a shot within maximum range, where after short range it would simply be a shot without disadvantage after taking the Aim action. I know that's still better, but seems to undercut the idea of Aim. This whole Deadeye feel would go great with the Sharp Shooter Feat, and as such I would avoid stepping on that Feat's toes when designing abilities.
Yeah, the flavor intent re:long range was that if you take the time to aim, you can circumvent the range penalty for that shot.

I also modeled Aiming after grappling, which you can attempt in place of an attack during the Attack action. The concentration rider was there as a safety net, but it can probably get cut, it's only powerful once you get an extra attack, and even then you're only attacking once.

I would say make it a bonus action for the first single shot you make, or make it concentration up to one minute, where you can swap to another target using a bonus action, and make it usable only a number of times per day equal to Wisdom mod with a long rest recharge. That may be too powerful, but as you are not getting any damage increase compared to Hunter, I think that's balanced.
I think the accuracy > damage will be a fine way to look at it.

I love the first part of this, straight forward and thematic. The second part is given in the Sharp Shooter Feat so I would avoid that if possible. Instead maybe something like "Additionally, you may double the long range increment on any ranged or thrown weapon attacks you make" or something to that effect, even a static increase of %50 if double is to much. Gives the whole sniper feel to the marksman theme.
Keep in mind that feats are technically optional. Also, WotC has shown that some class features will borrow from feats (e.g., Swashbuckler borrows part of the Mobility feat). However, I do like the idea of increasing the range. I'll probably adjust the maximum range, so that it plays more nicely with Sharpshooter and Aim.

This is a nice damage bonus. I like it. Whether this stays balanced will have a lot to do Aim at 3rd level. I would get rid of the DM ruling effect, and replace it with something that imposes a specific condition or choice of conditions, something defensive (aka 'Ambush' you get 3d8 damage per attack during surprise round and enemies have disadvantage on attack rolls against you for the first round of combat), or flavourful that isnt related specifically to combat (aka 'Stalker' You gain advantage on stealth rolls while in and out of combat as long as you are in dim light or darkness) I'm just spit-balling idea's here so take them with a grain of salt :smallwink:
I was initially going to add a table, but I thought it would be a nice ribbon to mention the DM could add an effect as they choose. Plus, I have a feeling some DMs will rule against certain called shot effects anyway based on the monster; so I just left it up to them to add any difficulty modifiers or bonus effects.

This makes me smile, its seems quite balanced and comparable to other 15th level abilities for RAW rangers. I would change the part in bold though so it just has auto fail on a critial. In a new 5e world where rogues can sneak attack undead, I don't see an issue with this, and they can still save on successive rounds, it just means on a crit you have a guaranteed one round of paralysis which is not game breaking in my opinion, and fits the theme well I think. Hope this was helpful :smallsmile:

Thanks! And good point on the bolded comment, it's only really a consideration for Adamantine Armor ;v