PDA

View Full Version : Need help with wizard spell choices.

Proski
2015-05-11, 11:19 PM
I'm currently in a campaign right now where I am running a dwarven Abjurer alongside a broomstick sorcerer, a front line barbarian and an archery-focused ranger. We are confined to The Shaar in Faerun which is barbarian land with no other wizards or scrolls to be found to increase my repertoire. If I have only 2 spells to choose from each level, what spells should I be prioritizing as the utility caster role in the group?

I'm level 3 right now and have already picked up Blur so I can assist the front line when need be (we were missing both the barbarian AND the ranger last session, so it really paid off). Arcane Lock was the other choice as our DM has a fetish for interrupted rests--these plus a liberal amount of Alarms have allowed us to live so far. I and the sorcerer are gunning for the Alert feat next level in lieu of increasing our casting stat if that gives you an idea of what we're up against, hahaha.

So, any advice for 2nd level spells and upward?

RulesJD
2015-05-12, 01:05 AM
Don't use Blur, you have better uses for your concentration.

I would rank the best utility spells as follows:

1. Find Familiar (Owl). Besides a big leg up in combat (Help function for you or allies) it comes with advantage to perception checks, super darkvision, Fly-by, a decent carrying capacity, etc.

2. Rope Trick/Leomund's Tiny Hut. Having an almost guaranteed safe short/long rest in your campaign is going to pay huge dividends. Plus, cut the rope short so you can have a safe spot to retreat to during combat. 10ft rope = climb in one movement then duck out to shoot spells before ducking backing inside.

3. Detect Magic. Lets you find so much stuff (invisible creatures, items, traps, etc).

4. Mage Hand cantrip. Basically ensures you should NEVER be hit by a clearly visible trap. "Oh look, a random book all by itself, I'm sure there's no GLYPH OF WARDING ON IT DUN DUN DUN. Mage Hand."

5. Minor Illusion cantrip. Can create visible slide shows or mimic someone's voice, etc. You'll get mileage out of this for days.

6. Detect Thoughts. Automatically become immune to any hidden creature within 30ft and works THROUGH WALLS. Hugely helpful.

7. Alarm (obviously given that you're an abjuration wizard)

8. Misty Step. This will save your bacon many times.

9. Phantasmal Force. Basically guaranteed shut down but is HIGHLY DM dependent.

10. Suggestion. Massively broken or just decently good, DM dependent. Has great out of combat uses "You should give us this armor for free because we're here to protect the town".

11. Comprehend Languages. I get a surprising amount of use out of this, but highly unlikely you will given your campaign setting.

Level 3 spells will be your hardest due to that having all the good ones.

Proski
2015-05-12, 12:28 PM
Aw man, I'm on my tablet and autocorrect is the bane of my existence--although that does sound like something he would do. Thank you gentlemen for the responses, I very much appreciate it.