PDA

View Full Version : Using other miniatures in DnD

Llewelyn
2007-04-19, 04:55 PM
Lately I've been looking for a figure for the future form for my half-dragoness(to-be) monk, and found a dearth of them. About all I've found is an old chainmail mage, and some Mage Knight figures. Thus I was wondering, how close in scale are the Mage Knight figures and typical DnD minis? Close enough to be compatible, or too large? Are there other half-dragon female minis out there besides the ones above?

And of course, what other minis are good out there besides the typical DnD, Reaper, and so on that are in scale enough to be used?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 04:58 PM
well Reaper is perfect for just about everything, with Overlord and some of the exalted line. Rackham is also good, though very expensive.

BardicDuelist
2007-04-19, 05:18 PM
Citidel, while expensive, can have some good minis or things. I use one from their LOTR line (Elladan) for a character of mine.

Other than Citidel and Reaper, what are some good mini producers? (Btw, I strongly dislike Wizards minis, for being rubber and prepainted).

adanedhel9
2007-04-19, 06:01 PM
About all I've found is an old chainmail mage, and some Mage Knight figures. Thus I was wondering, how close in scale are the Mage Knight figures and typical DnD minis? Close enough to be compatible, or too large?

If you are talking about a Chainmail mini from 5 or so years ago: those work reasonably well for large (10x10) creatures. They're too big for the standard character though.

The D&D minis of more recent years pretty much match what's in the Monster Manual for size.

If you are talking out the original Chainmail (from the 1970's)... I don't know for sure, but Wikipedia says says they're 40mm minis, which would be about the same size as the new Chainmail.

And, I'll echo everyone else in saying that Reaper is awesome.

storybookknight
2007-04-19, 07:20 PM
Mage Knight figs are a little bigger as I recall? But close enough to the same size that you can use them.

While there might be better products from other places, it might be more difficult to find those.

wingover gimble
2007-04-19, 08:21 PM
my problem with minatures is you can never find the one that you want like i can never find the lord soth minature and always end up using something else for my death knight

Rahdjan
2007-04-19, 08:33 PM
Some of the Heroclix minis are the right size if you remove them from their current base and put them on a DnD minis base.

Indon
2007-04-19, 08:34 PM
My group's found itself using Star Wars figurines for D&D games before, as well as Mage Knight (they don't fit very well on our mat, but meh).

Llewelyn
2007-04-19, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I found a nice one for before she goes half-dragon from Reaper that I need to get around to getting.

All the female half-dragons I've found though consist of the following:
the aforementioned Chainmail half-dragon mage
A few various Mage Knight figs
A real nice one from Magnificent Egos, but she's a bow-wielder and my character isn't :smallfrown:

Does anyone know of any others at all?

RandomNPC
2007-04-19, 08:51 PM
i know someone whos decent with clay, but you're probably not near me, my faveorate minis are the cactuar and tonberry minis that were made for me. both are iconic critters from Final Fantasy the somethingth (duno the first apearances)

other than sculpting your own, is there a place that will sell a torso, arms, a head, and legs, each from different figures? i know some strategy mini games allow units to be built and customized.

BardicDuelist
2007-04-20, 07:50 AM
I've found that: "green stuff" nail clippers with a file, and super glue (preferably with a quick bonding spray) work really well when it comes to a custom mini. A box cutter and small saw (for when the nail clippers don't work) work really well too. Almost every one of my minis has been modded to fit a specific character, but if you lack the aptitude, it can be really difficult. I do a lot of work for my friends, because they all do.

Weapons packs and other things (including pieces you take off modded minis) probide great fodder.