PDA

View Full Version : Reaction on hit vs knockout blow

The Shadowdove
2015-05-12, 03:44 AM
Hey peeps,

Our party member has an ability that May be used as a "reaction" when hit.

Now, let's say a big bad kobald comes up and kicks her in the shin dropping Her bellow 0 health.

Does this reaction trigger despite the damage exceeding current hp?

Or does it only trigger "after" damage is calculated in?

Thanks a dozen,

Dove

Bellberith
2015-05-12, 04:04 AM
Hey peeps,

Our party member has an ability that May be used as a "reaction" when hit.

Now, let's say a big bad kobald comes up and kicks her in the shin dropping Her bellow 0 health.

Does this reaction trigger despite the damage exceeding current hp?

Or does it only trigger "after" damage is calculated in?

Thanks a dozen,

Dove

I would differ to the Shield spell here. You must have been hit by an attack to cast shield as a reaction, but the damage from that attack doesn't go through if it doesn't exceed your new AC.

Using that spell it is safe to assume that reactions that go off upon being hit are used before damage is delt.

Pyon
2015-05-12, 06:11 AM
I would differ to the Shield spell here. You must have been hit by an attack to cast shield as a reaction, but the damage from that attack doesn't go through if it doesn't exceed your new AC.

Using that spell it is safe to assume that reactions that go off upon being hit are used before damage is delt.

This, but I also think it depends on what the reaction even does. If the reaction will add more AC, health, or whatever then sure. If the reaction is to "If you get hit you stab them back" logic would say that you die first... That's the way I see it.

holygroundj
2015-05-12, 06:22 AM
I agree with both interpretations here. If it's something that would let you survive the hit, then it goes off. if it's merely an attack, then no. All reactions happen after the triggering event, and that is getting hit. I guess it's up to the DM to feel whether or not rolling damage is part of the triggering event or not.

Joe the Rat
2015-05-12, 07:26 AM
I'm going to go with the "Between hit and damage" interpretation. Defensive abilities like Shield kick in to (hopefully) stop the blow. Retributive abilities... depends on how they are worded. If it's specifically a reaction to "being hit," then yes, you can use it before you take the damage - but that won't stop the damage from being dealt. You hit me, I hit you, we both go down. Hit prevention, damage mitigation, damage infliction... it should all be on the same tick. Particularly as there are class features that allow you to kill things and gain (temporary) hit points at the same time.

If it's keyed to taking damage, like Hellish Rebuke, then no, you take the hit before it goes off, and that kobold shin-kicks you into unconsciousness.

Kryx
2015-05-12, 08:00 AM
While the above posters are posting what they'd do the rules state that the reaction happens after the triggering action is resolved.

Here is Mearls' answer about Mage Slayer and when it is triggered: https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/519859809902813185

readied action takes place after trigger, so first spell then attack. No check needed.

Crawford has a similar ruling out there, but I cannot find it currently.

Unless the spell/ability says otherwise then the reaction happens after the triggering action completes.

Bellberith
2015-05-12, 01:08 PM
While the above posters are posting what they'd do the rules state that the reaction happens after the triggering action is resolved.

Here is Mearls' answer about Mage Slayer and when it is triggered: https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/519859809902813185

Crawford has a similar ruling out there, but I cannot find it currently.

Unless the spell/ability says otherwise then the reaction happens after the triggering action completes.

This is true, but the triggering event is being hit, not the damage being delt.

The case and point is Shield spell (i cant find another example with this wording). Being hit and damage being delt are treated as separate under these circumstances and i see no reason to change this.

If the ability was reaction upon being delt damage then it would go off after the damage is delt unless he died as in the example. An in book example of this is "Misty Escape" from warlock.

The wording he used is the reaction is on HIT not on damage delt. Therefore you use the Shield spell wording and it goes off in between.

Kryx
2015-05-12, 01:18 PM
The wording he used is the reaction is on HIT not on damage delt.
Ah I skimmed over that part. Then yes, after the hit is when it triggers.

The default is after everything, but some cases like this and Shield are after a specific part.