PDA

View Full Version : Expanding the Duskblade spell list

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-12, 07:47 AM
Grim Reader just pointed out to me in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19242237&postcount=9) that a Duskblade can dip one level of Sand Shaper to get a bunch of extra spells known (including some spells of levels higher than 5th, which can be cast via Versatile Spellcaster). What other ways to add lots of spells to the Duskblade list are there? I can't think of anything else immediately other than Dragon Compendium's Bloodline feats.

Elderand
2015-05-12, 08:08 AM
They could enter mage of the arcane order with arcane preparation, really any trick that expend a sorcerer spell list also expend a duskblade, but less efficiently due to having access to only level 5.

Interestingly, the only requirement for the spell pool feature of mage of the arcane order is having an open slot. Doesn't have to be an arcane slot, doesn't seems to say that you can only get spells that would appear on your list either.

Mother cyst feat gets you 9 more spells as well.

Mr Adventurer
2015-05-12, 08:09 AM
Heritage feats maybe?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-12, 08:31 AM
The Hathran adds a bunch of spells to the list "for any arcane or divine spellcasting class that allows her access to 4th-level spells." Most importantly, planar binding and planar ally. You will need something to cast 6th-level spells (Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten, as usual), to pick them as spells known. Duskblades hit 4th-level spells right at the same time they hit full arcane channeling, so you can go right into Hathran without delaying class features, and it's full casting. You do have to pay one useless feat, and Leadership, and you can't ever craft magic items.

Saintheart
2015-05-12, 08:37 AM
The RoF (and dwarf only) feat Gold Dwarf Dweomersmith adds a small grab bag of weapon-enhancing feats -- stuff like Bless Weapon, Magic Weapon, Flame Blade, Flame Arrow, Keen Edge, Greater Magic Weapon, Holy Sword, Blade Barrier, Changestaff, Spellstaff, Mordenkainen's Sword among others -- and says precisely nothing about the conditions under which they're added to the spell list, i.e. they seem to become spells known to you whatever your class is and regardless of whether you're a divine or arcane caster. Shield Dwarf Warder does the same thing, except with a small bunch of shield- or armour-enhancing spells (Mage Armor, Shield of Faith, etc). You get +1 CL to any spell that enhances or creates a weapon, and it explicitly allows you to exceed normal CL limits for the spell in this manner. (The wording is "This bonus caster level allows you to exceed normal CL limits", which seems to suggest you can only go +1 on CL - it'd be pretty hilarious if the feat allowed you to break CL limits entirely if you're able to boost your CL through other mechanics...)

sleepyphoenixx
2015-05-12, 09:36 AM
There's a handbook for that. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2777)

The RoF (and dwarf only) feat Gold Dwarf Dweomersmith adds a small grab bag of weapon-enhancing feats -- stuff like Bless Weapon, Magic Weapon, Flame Blade, Flame Arrow, Keen Edge, Greater Magic Weapon, Holy Sword, Blade Barrier, Changestaff, Spellstaff, Mordenkainen's Sword among others -- and says precisely nothing about the conditions under which they're added to the spell list, i.e. they seem to become spells known to you whatever your class is and regardless of whether you're a divine or arcane caster. Shield Dwarf Warder does the same thing, except with a small bunch of shield- or armour-enhancing spells (Mage Armor, Shield of Faith, etc). You get +1 CL to any spell that enhances or creates a weapon, and it explicitly allows you to exceed normal CL limits for the spell in this manner. (The wording is "This bonus caster level allows you to exceed normal CL limits", which seems to suggest you can only go +1 on CL - it'd be pretty hilarious if the feat allowed you to break CL limits entirely if you're able to boost your CL through other mechanics...)

You should re-read that. The feats don't add any spells known, they just list the spells they affect.

Rubik
2015-05-12, 10:00 AM
Sublime chord works. The various heritage feats, as mentioned. Extra Spell, of course. Depending on whether your DM throws Full Psionics/Magic Transparency+ at you (like some DMs of mine have in the past), Psychic Chirurgery would allow you to expand your spell list with spells from a StP erudite or some other manifester who has used this trick to pull from arcane and divine-turned-arcane spells-turned-powers. And even if the DM doesn't throw Better-Than-Full-Transparency at you, anyone with the Magic Mantle available can still do this for you.

And it's not quite the same, but eternal wands will let you cast any arcane spell of 3rd level or below 2/day. Give yourself some wand bracers and add some wand chambers to your weapons/shields/armor spikes/wands (because wands can be used as weapons with the right feats, and thus qualify to hold wand chambers).

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-12, 10:05 AM
(because wands can be used as weapons with the right feats, and thus qualify to hold wand chambers).

I imagine that works somewhat like this...

http://in1.ccio.co/tE/KF/R4/268597565246652990HG7VY0oSc.jpg

ShurikVch
2015-05-12, 11:29 AM
Eldritch Master (Dragon #280) - if you OK to lose 3 CL, you may add to your spell list spells from any other spell list

Troacctid
2015-05-12, 12:52 PM
Exalted Arcanist gives you all Sanctified Spells, IIRC.

Petrocorus
2015-05-12, 01:23 PM
If you can manage to acquire Turn Undead (i don't know how since you can't qualify for Sacred Exorcist, IIRC), then Silver Pyromancer add all Paladin spells, which include some buffs (that you lacks) and some healings.

Mr Adventurer
2015-05-12, 01:31 PM
Arcane Disciple?

Rubik
2015-05-12, 01:35 PM
Prestige bard. If you can use one of the various ways to turn your arcane spells into divine spells, prestige ranger and paladin.

gorfnab
2015-05-12, 01:59 PM
Since Beguilers known their entire spell list, one trick would be to take a level of Beguiler and the Versatile Spellcaster feat. This could potentially allow you to spend Duskblade spell slots to cast Beguiler spells.

Troacctid
2015-05-12, 02:09 PM
Since Beguilers known their entire spell list, one trick would be to take a level of Beguiler and the Versatile Spellcaster feat. This could potentially allow you to spend Duskblade spell slots to cast Beguiler spells.

I don't think so. The general rule is that spells known for a given class must be cast from spell slots granted by that class. Versatile Spellcaster allows you to cast any known spell by expending two spell slots of a lower level, but it doesn't override the general rule that those spell slots must be from the class that knows the spell. (Yes, I realize Versatile Spellcaster says you can cast "any" spell you know and doesn't specify what class the spell slots you expend must be from, but you know what else says you can cast "any" spell you know and doesn't specify what class the spell slots you expend must be from? The "Spellcasting" class feature of a Sorcerer. So...)

Furthermore, Beguilers only know spells of the spell levels they have access to.

When you gain access to a new level of spells, you automatically know all the spells for that level on the beguiler's spell list.

So even by a generous reading of Versatile Spellcaster, you would still only know 1st level Beguiler spells.

Mr Adventurer
2015-05-12, 02:26 PM
On closer inspection, the Heritage feats either give you SLAs or add to your Sorcerer spells known, specifically...

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-12, 02:50 PM
On closer inspection, the Heritage feats either give you SLAs or add to your Sorcerer spells known, specifically...

Not the DragComp heritage feats. They just add to your spells known, and only require that you be a spontaneous arcane caster of some sort. They aren't just for sorcerers, and this is backed up in DComp itself:

Bloodline feats are designed with sorcerers in mind, although any character who meets the prerequisites can choose them.

Mr Adventurer
2015-05-12, 03:00 PM
Ah, cool. I only looked at the PHB2 and PH and DragonX ones.

Saintheart
2015-05-12, 07:03 PM
There's a handbook for that. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2777)

You should re-read that. The feats don't add any spells known, they just list the spells they affect.

I did, and with respect, it doesn't say that:

"You gain +1 caster level when casting a spell that creates a weapon or enhances an existing one. An 11th-level caster with this feat, for example, grants a weapon a +4 enhancement bonus when she casts Greater Magic Weapon, not just a +3 enhancement bonus. This bonus caster level allows you to exceed the normal maximum effect allowed by a spell. The tradition of gold dwarf dweomersmiths includes the following spells at each level--"[then the list of spells is given. And after that list...]. "Other spells gain this benefit if they target a weapon."

By your reading of it that last line would be redundant. And in its first sentence, the feat gives you a +1 CL to all spells you cast that create or enhances a weapon. It does not confine the benefit of that feat to the spells listed. They're not examples or an exhaustive list, clearly, and therefore "The tradition of gold dwarf dweomersmiths includes the following spells" =/= "These are the only spells your bonus affects." It refers to a list of spells added to the gold dwarf's list regardless of the caster's class.

Deadline
2015-05-19, 02:52 PM
Is there a Dragon Compendium or Dragon Magazine Bloodline feat that adds a 4th level Abjuration spell? Because if so, that would nicely solve the equation of getting the snazzy Duskblade 13/IotSFV 7 build to work (otherwise you wind up with Duskblade 14/IotSFV 6).

Dusk Eclipse
2015-05-19, 03:19 PM
I can't remember the feat name, but there is one in LM that adds the Necrotic Cyst spells and IIRC there are a couple touch spells in there that might be handy for a Duskblade, and I think there is a similar feat in some Dragon Magazine, though that deals with the far realm.

Mr Adventurer
2015-05-19, 03:29 PM
I can't remember the feat name, but there is one in LM that adds the Necrotic Cyst spells and IIRC there are a couple touch spells in there that might be handy for a Duskblade, and I think there is a similar feat in some Dragon Magazine, though that deals with the far realm.

Mother Cyst? Or is that the spell?

Deadline
2015-05-19, 03:30 PM

Unfortunately, Necrotic Cyst only grants Necrotic Domination at 4th level, which is a Necromancy spell, not an Abjuration spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-05-19, 03:36 PM
Um, I wasn't responding specifically at you, I was responding to the thread in general :smallredface:

Deadline
2015-05-19, 03:44 PM
Um, I wasn't responding specifically at you, I was responding to the thread in general :smallredface:

Oh, in that case, carry on then. :smalltongue:

And yeah, Necrotic Cyst is a solid way of adding spells known.

heavyfuel
2015-05-19, 08:01 PM
(including some spells of levels higher than 5th, which can be cast via Versatile Spellcaster).

Duskblades would lack the necessary Caster Level to cast these spells.

In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level.