PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Build Help?

Bohrdumb
2015-05-12, 08:21 AM
So I'm hoping to roll up a Ranger tonight (we're rolling stats, then switching to point buy if it goes badly). With that in mind, I wanted something very flavorful, yet easily utilized and useful at all stages of the game. I'm also a big fan of 'the rule of cool' and want to keep that in mind along the way.

With all of that said, this is what I'm thinking about:
Wildhunt Shifter
Dex and Wis 16 or better
Pirate background?
Dual Wield whips (Eventually. Probably just throwing daggers to start...)
Giant Crab or Flying Snake pet?
Taking some sort of watery terrain as favored (swamps or something if the DM will be utilizing a lot of them).

Early spells:
Hunter's Mark
Cloud of Fog (messing with the weather when attacking other ships)
Jump (Imaging I learned this to easily get from one ship to another in a fight)
Goodberry (Better than Good Burger?)
Absorb Elements (this seems like a really useful spell if we take some unexpected damage, or if I'm combat and want to beef up my attack slightly)

Now I'll need a few levels of Ranger to pull any of this off, but what should I keep in mind early, that will benefit me in the longrun? IE How do I start off so I don't screw myself over later and miss out on really interesting/useful choices that would better develop this character?

Shining Wrath
2015-05-12, 08:28 AM
Hmmm

Proficiency in Acrobatics to leverage your high dex into cinematic maneuvers (heavily DM dependent, you can't swing from chandeliers if the DM doesn't describe furnishings).

Gwendol
2015-05-12, 09:16 AM
I would recommend the Mariner fighting style, found here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-waterborne-adventures

Also, throwing some swashbuckler rogue will be both fitting and fun (be mindful of the MC rules wrt ability scores though).

Bohrdumb
2015-05-12, 10:41 AM
I would recommend the Mariner fighting style, found here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-waterborne-adventures

Also, throwing some swashbuckler rogue will be both fitting and fun (be mindful of the MC rules wrt ability scores though).

The Mariner seems fitting, though a bit lackluster.

The Swashbuckler is appealing. I'd have to take 3 levels of Rogue to get it, correct? So if I'm reading this right, it wouldn't really come on line until character level 7 (Rng 4/Rog 3)?

Admittedly the Swashbuckler would make for an better Bard/Rog combo, but I do love the concept.