PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Dragon

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 05:44 PM
I have just heard that Dragon and Dungeon are ending in September. Thoughts?

Matthew
2007-04-19, 05:59 PM
There's a Thread about this over in the RPG Forum.

They're not exactly dying, though, it seems to be more of a name change issue. Wizards are going to do PDF versions or something, so really they are just going paperless.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-19, 06:02 PM
Well, not really. The editorial staff is changing as well, and I don't know if they'll be retaining the "homebrew publication outlet" method of Paizo either.

Matthew
2007-04-19, 06:05 PM
Sure, but the Editorial Staff were always changing back when these Magazines were in house. Exactly what they end up doing is, of course, an open matter, but the point is these publications aren't necessarily dying, so much as returning to the Wizards Stable.
Still, it's no real surprise, and I imagine this will meet up with Knowledge Arcana somewhere along the line.

FdL
2007-04-19, 06:22 PM
This is all related to the upcoming electronic subscription scheme of WotC. Subscribers will get among other (benefits?) what would be the electronic version of those mags.

Reptilius
2007-04-19, 06:31 PM
*sniffle* Farewell, old friend. I'll be sure to burn your character sheet to prepare for the Great Re-rolling in the Sky.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 06:36 PM
reptlilius you win

kingpain
2007-04-19, 06:41 PM
It's more like...Dragon will now be a crappy e-zine much like Knowledge Arcana. I have been reading since #1. This is just another way for Wizard's to try to make money at our cost. Remember 3rd edition, then 3.5? I'll miss Dragon, but I won't waste my time with the new format.:smallfrown:

TheEmerged
2007-04-19, 06:59 PM
Really, I'm surprised more magazines haven't already gone this route.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 07:07 PM
it is very sad, and i regret to see this happen. But i think we will see in 5 to 6 months that WoTC will get burned by this little trick

Dragonrider
2007-04-19, 07:54 PM
WHAT?!?! I think I'm gonna cry... :smalleek: *sob*

knightsaline
2007-04-19, 08:01 PM
This ALWAYS happens to me when I start reading a new magazine! want a list of magazines that folded after i subscribed/ picked up at the newsagents regularly?
N64 gamer
Nintendo gamer
GBA world
Total gamer
and now, Dragon

Will they put up the back copies on the website? I missed the one about my favorite core god, Pelor. the most recent one I have has the queen of the succubii and manifest zones.

PaladinFreak
2007-04-19, 08:04 PM
I get Dungeon, but I am not gonna get the E-Zine. While E-Zines are very well and good, you just can't match the acessibility of paper.

They better drop the price though, because there is no way they can justify there current price when they don't have to pay for printing the Magazine.

SMITE CRUDDY PLANNING!!
And, while I'm there, STAB THE SIMU NINJA!

Planewalker
2007-04-19, 08:11 PM
I honestly don't know what to say. I am barely into my Dungeon subscription, and they pull this. The magazine has been so good lately, I don't understand how they can justify this. I do agree that they're going to get burned by this. This response on the wizards forums is pretty sad with some pissed off mixed in.

bingo_bob
2007-04-19, 09:27 PM
Ugh. This.... stinks. I was just thinking about subscribing and then... e-zine. They just don't read as well as a magazine. There's something comforting about snuggling up in a chair and reading about the Cult of Vecna, or Kostchthie's entry in the Demonomicon of Iggwilv. You just don't get that otherwise. Dragon was always a good purchase for decent content, sometimes better than a new D&D book. Now that's somewhat lost. And I'm betting that we're now going to be seeing a lot of recycled art. Why go to the trouble of drawing something when it's just going to go online?

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 09:30 PM
they will be doing hard cover 96 page adventure's though...so it might be ok?

Goblin Music
2007-04-19, 11:05 PM
:( why? why?!? WHY!?!?! this sucks i love the paper version *sob*
(the money i going to there heads)

MinusInnocence
2007-04-20, 06:06 AM
I write a monthly review of Dragon over at a friend's D&D-related website. For those whose subscriptions are currently active, WotC's decision is frustrating but Paizo's new project called Pathfinder is an option over on their site if you want to transfer your subscription.

For those who were considering a subscription... you're not missing much. The "Demonomicon of Iggwilv," "Core Beliefs" and "Monster Ecology" features were and always have been top-notch but the rest of each issue is very hit-or-miss. Considering that only two of the above three appear in each issue, why pay so much money each month without reading the issue beforehand when you're really only getting 15-20 pages of quality material out of the 98?

In other news, should Paizo decide to put their staff to work on their own D&D related magazine they will lose the rights to non-OGL stuff like Forgotten Realms or Eberron material. This is a very good thing, those features sucked anyway.

Telfarian
2007-04-20, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone, first post.

I'm going to the far corners of the internet to find those willing to add their signitures to the following petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sdadm582/petition.html

Help save Dragon and Dungeon. Even if we can't change their minds, we'll have done something more than complained.

Thank you.
-Telfarian

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-20, 06:18 PM
Even if we can't change their minds, we'll have done something more than complained.Er, no you won't. That's exactly what a petition is.

bingo_bob
2007-04-20, 08:18 PM
Well, yes, but we'll have complained in an organized manner. Not much difference, I admit, but it's there.

StickMan
2007-04-20, 08:37 PM
So this is the most depressing thing ever. Dragon helps me get throught the month now what do I have to look forward to. I have to go cry my self to sleep.