PDA

View Full Version : The Search for a Good Future-modern Setting.

Palegreenpants
2015-05-12, 10:09 AM
Heyo playground,

I've recently begun trawling the interwebs in hopes of finding a realistic, well put-together RPG system for a near-future setting for my group (in the mold of Interstellar.)
However, I have thus far been sorely disappointed. I've explored both Fate and GURPS, which each promised to support the setting that I and my group desire. Fate turned out to be insanely fluffy and vague, with non of the realism or simulation that we're looking for. GURPS immediately struck me as awkward and absolutely unfriendly to new players, traits which would not agree with my group of newbies.

So, I've come here for opinions. What system, if any, can provide a realistic future-modern experience? By future-modern, I mean limited spaceflight, some advanced weaponry (a la CoD: Advanced Warfare,) and, preferably, a lack of psionics/space magic.

Your input is very welcome.

Jeraa
2015-05-12, 11:19 AM
Traveller could possibly do it, if you limited the tech level and ignore the psionics section.

Palegreenpants
2015-05-12, 11:25 AM
Traveller could possibly do it, if you limited the tech level and ignore the psionics section.

I'll give it a look. True20 is also appealing.

Lacco
2015-05-12, 11:52 AM
I also think there is 2300 AD - Mongoose produces it. From what you wrote it could fit.

However, I only read about it, didn't try.

Jeraa
2015-05-12, 12:05 PM
I also think there is 2300 AD - Mongoose produces it. From what you wrote it could fit.

However, I only read about it, didn't try.

The version of 2300AD from Mongoose uses the Traveller rules as well. In addition to that, there is another setting called Orbital that could fit.

TeChameleon
2015-05-12, 01:03 PM
Hmm...

I'm not terribly familiar with it, but Cyberpunk 2020 might be able to do what you want... Shadowrun too, for that matter, if you ignored/edited out the magic stuff.

Palegreenpants
2015-05-12, 01:27 PM
Traveller is becoming increasingly apparent as a good choice. However, I've found next to no good info about its mechanics. Am I right in thinking that it's d6-based?

Maglubiyet
2015-05-12, 04:29 PM
Traveller is becoming increasingly apparent as a good choice. However, I've found next to no good info about its mechanics. Am I right in thinking that it's d6-based?

Yes, 2d6 usually.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-05-12, 05:23 PM
realistic

GURPS immediately struck me as awkward and absolutely unfriendly to new players, traits which would not agree with my group of newbies.

...You're not going to get any kind of remotely realistic RPG without a ton of rules.

Palegreenpants
2015-05-12, 06:24 PM
Well, I've discovered Eclipse Phase, which fills the bill in all respects. Thanks for the input, peeps.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-05-12, 06:39 PM
I am confused.

Jeraa
2015-05-12, 07:43 PM
I am confused.

Confused about what?

TeChameleon
2015-05-12, 07:49 PM
Confused about what?
I suspect the juxtaposition of 'realistic' and 'Eclipse Phase', but I'm not sure >.>

Palegreenpants
2015-05-12, 08:26 PM
I suspect the juxtaposition of 'realistic' and 'Eclipse Phase', but I'm not sure >.>

Sorry for the confusion, but I tend to say 'realism' when I mean 'simulation.'

Leviting
2015-05-12, 10:26 PM

Well, pull out everything excurgent and it seems pretty reasonable

Hiro Protagonest
2015-05-13, 12:08 AM
Also that he said GURPS was awkward and complicated... but no problem with Eclipse Phase's rules.

Isn't the character creation for that supposed to be really hard? Like, not HERO hard, but hard.

Leviting
2015-05-13, 12:34 AM
Also that he said GURPS was awkward and complicated... but no problem with Eclipse Phase's rules.

Isn't the character creation for that supposed to be really hard? Like, not HERO hard, but hard.

There are some builds that are much more practical and effective than others, but you really just take a boatload of points and buy things with them, with ''things'' being money, blueprints, your body, your reputation, and skills. It is more time consuming than complicated. There are just a lot of things to spend your character creation points on. The reputation system is a bit of a mess, though.