PDA

View Full Version : Lore bard/life cleric healer?

SliceandDiceKid
2015-05-12, 10:39 AM
Has anyone considered 6bard/xCleric with life domain. Aura of vitality with bonus healing would be about the best healing/spell possible, no? Just a thought. :D

Townopolis
2015-05-12, 10:55 AM
Lore Bard 19/Life Cleric 1 is sort-of the gold standard of optimized support characters.

I've never actually run one, but I imagine I'd either grab cleric at level 2 to get armor as quickly as possible or grab it at level 6 so that I get Font of Inspiration as soon as possible, then get Life Cleric, or I might go cleric at 7, after I've already picked up Aura of Vitality via Additional Magical Secrets.

SliceandDiceKid
2015-05-12, 11:17 AM
Lore Bard 19/Life Cleric 1 is sort-of the gold standard of optimized support characters.

I've never actually run one, but I imagine I'd either grab cleric at level 2 to get armor as quickly as possible or grab it at level 6 so that I get Font of Inspiration as soon as possible, then get Life Cleric, or I might go cleric at 7, after I've already picked up Aura of Vitality via Additional Magical Secrets.

Cool, I had been away from the boards for months and it came to me as I was building my bard. I'd think you'd want to take it at 7, so you don't delay additional magical secrets. Thanks for the reply.

Ashrym
2015-05-12, 11:24 AM
Cool, I had been away from the boards for months and it came to me as I was building my bard. I'd think you'd want to take it at 7, so you don't delay additional magical secrets. Thanks for the reply.

Magical secrets are nice but additional spells from cleric preparation exceed it and already includes a solid choice in bless.

Taking cleric or 1st or 2nd level is generally a choice in proficiencies.

One of the reasons to take life cleric early is for the armor proficiency and early survival benefits.

Hope that helps.

SliceandDiceKid
2015-05-12, 11:35 AM
Magical secrets are nice but additional spells from cleric preparation exceed it and already includes a solid choice in bless.

Taking cleric or 1st or 2nd level is generally a choice in proficiencies.

One of the reasons to take life cleric early is for the armor proficiency and early survival benefits.

Hope that helps.

Ah. Good point. I've grown accustomed to 2 other party members having access to/using bless. This is strictly for theoretical purposes. But I let my experience cloud my assessment. I definitely see the value of the armor and bless early on. Thanks Ashrym.

dnd2016
2017-05-01, 09:02 AM
I am lore bard, 18 dex and +1 leather armor right now at level seven. Would a first-level cleric dip help me regarding the armor?

nickl_2000
2017-05-01, 09:05 AM
If you are dipping Life Cleric it almost seems a waste not to take Goodberry as a Magic Secret. 40 HP healing for 1 first level spell is pretty amazing.

KnotaGuru
2017-05-01, 09:28 AM
I am lore bard, 18 dex and +1 leather armor right now at level seven. Would a first-level cleric dip help me regarding the armor?

Yes. You'd gain proficiency in medium or heavy armor & shields.

Corran
2017-05-01, 09:47 AM
Has anyone considered 6bard/xCleric with life domain. Aura of vitality with bonus healing would be about the best healing/spell possible, no? Just a thought. :D
Ha, well done for finding this out on your own! It's relatively known around these parts, in fact there is a thread about this in the mechanical focus in the notable threads. Here it is: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471899-Ridiculously-good-healer-%28just-for-fun%29

Long story short, it also involves sorcerer as well for the extended spell metamagic (for extending the duration of aura of vitality for double amount of healing), and some warlock levels for more 3rd levels slots per short rest.

dnd2016
2017-05-01, 03:17 PM
Yes. You'd gain proficiency in medium or heavy armor & shields.
But then I would only get plus two from my dexterity as opposed to +4 if I put on chainmail