PDA

View Full Version : the conundrum of collecting RPGs I'll probably never play

Winter_Wolf
2015-05-12, 11:43 AM
Okay, partially venting, partially "what would/did you do?" As in you personally, not "my advice to you is...."

I have to grit my teeth sometimes, because once in a great while deals like what I found on Amazon come along and offer me the opportunity to get all three core 1E AD&D books, new, from the same seller. At deeply discounted prices. Granted, they're not the same books that I had before I "grew up" and my collection got scattered to the four winds, but one could hope that the bindings and page quality are a little better.

Alas, I'm not swimming in disposable income and we're moving to a fairly pricey and 100% necessary rental unit in a month, and I have to travel out of state by plane to Alaska (maybe not have to (as in I will literally die if I don't) have to, but "soul/will to live needs refill or why the F am I bothering anymore?" have to) in approximately three weeks. Did I mention two small children? Damn. Double triple damn, even. I'd be willing to barter or trade books, except I no longer have such to barter or trade. Then there's the stuff that was so niche and so long out of print that I'm highly unlikely ever to find them again. But those are really off the table since it's pretty much a given that they're not to be had for any reasonable sum.* Or maybe more to the point, if they were mine I wouldn't part with them for any reasonable sum. Then again I'm loathe to part with any book unless I'm forced to.

*Technically untrue in one case, but see above regarding why I'm not pouncing on restocking my former collection.