PDA

View Full Version : d20 revision(high magic)

purplearcanist
2007-04-19, 06:03 PM
I'm dissatisfied with d20s unbalanced magic system, and want a revision of it. Here is my idea.

Magic points:
Every character with an intelligence score of 3 or higher has a cache of magic points equal to double their HD or level. These points restore at a rate of 1 point each round at the beginning of the character's turn. Characters use up magic points by casting spells, or by using various class features or feats.

By spending a little time, a character can channel the magical energies into himself at a faster rate. If the character takes a full-round action, they can add their level to the amount of magic points restored. This action provokes an attack of oppertunity, however, and if this action is disrupted, the character must make a concentration check (see the concentration skill for more information), or lose the spell.

Feats:

Note: You need to have magic points in order to take a magic feat.

Inborn Spellcaster [MAGIC]:
You can use your inborn magical talents to enchance your magic capacity.
Benefit: Add your chrisma modifier (if positive) to the amount of total spell points you have.
Special: After taking this feat, you can't take Faith Spellcaster or Book Spellcaster.
I will probaby have this feat as a bonus feat for certain classes.

Faith Spellcaster [MAGIC]:
You can use your faith and reverence of certain deities or spiritual forces to enchance your magic capacity.
Benefit: Add your wisdom modifier (if positive) to the amount of total spell points you have.
Special: After taking this feat, you can't take Inborn Spellcaster or Book Spellcaster.

Book Spellcaster [MAGIC]:
You can use your study of magical books and tomes to enchance your magic capacity.
Benefit: Add your intelligence modifier (if positive) to the amount of total spell points you have.
Special: After taking this feat, you can't take Inborn Spellcaster or Faith Spellcaster.

Shield of the mage [MAGIC]
You can use your magic to create a sudden field that can block a sudden attack.
Benefit:As an immediate action, you gain a +2 deflection bonus to AC against any one attack for every magic point you spend.

Classes:

Coming soon!

Feel free to make sugestions.:smallsmile: And point out any issues with my system.

Matthew
2007-04-19, 06:07 PM
Have you seen this before? Variant Rules - Spell Points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm)