PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds 3e Character Help

The Random NPC
2015-05-12, 12:50 PM
So my GM decided to start a M&M game, but I've never played the system. It's set in the Naruto universe and we're sand ninjas. I want to build a character based around vanity, either using my prettyness to attack other people or pointing out other people's flaws to demoralize/damage them. We get 90 points, and if the Playground needs anything else from me, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks in advance.

Sith_Happens
2015-05-12, 04:49 PM
Game questions:

1. What power level? I'm guessing 6 based on that point total.

2. Any restrictions on Protection effects? Naruto is very much of the "you can become less punchable through training, but the only way to be less stabbable is via armor or ninjutsu" school of thought.

3. How is chakra consumption being modeled, or are you just hand waving it?

Character building:

1. By "attacking" people with your looks do literally mean "So pretty they pass out?"

If so, that makes your base effect either Affliction or Damage resisted by Will. You then want to apply Increased Range (Perception) [+2 cost/rank] and Sense-Dependent (Visual) [-1 cost/rank] for a single-target attack or Area (Visual Perception) [+1 cost/rank], Selective [+1 cost/rank], and Limited (to a 180o arc) [-1 cost/rank] for multi-target (the Limitation is assuming they have to be able to see the front of you). In either case the technique is probably also Subtle.

2. Demoralizing people is an Intimidation check, so just buy lots of ranks in that skill. Note that the effects only last one round, though, so if you want to keep someone demoralized the whole fight then ask your GM if you can take a Feature letting you make the check as a free action once per turn (which seems to me like it should be okay).

The Random NPC
2015-05-12, 06:43 PM
Game questions:

1. What power level? I'm guessing 6 based on that point total.

Yes, that's what I've been told. Though the power level/point total may go higher, the ones who have played before say that's a really low value.

2. Any restrictions on Protection effects? Naruto is very much of the "you can become less punchable through training, but the only way to be less stabbable is via armor or ninjutsu" school of thought.

Not that I'm aware of, though any supernatural Protection effect would likely have to be some kind of jutsu.

3. How is chakra consumption being modeled, or are you just hand waving it?

I'm not sure, I'll have to ask my GM and get back to you on that.

Character building:

1. By "attacking" people with your looks do literally mean "So pretty they pass out?"

Honestly, I haven't really thought about how it would work, an image of a pretty boy constantly checking a hand mirror popped into my head and I thought that would be a fun character to play. I was trying to make a guy that was incredibly vain, almost so vain that he would be removed from the field, but his unique attacks are too effective to do that. So think Vanity Smurf but effective in combat somehow.

If so, that makes your base effect either Affliction or Damage resisted by Will. You then want to apply Increased Range (Perception) [+2 cost/rank] and Sense-Dependent (Visual) [-1 cost/rank] for a single-target attack or Area (Visual Perception) [+1 cost/rank], Selective [+1 cost/rank], and Limited (to a 180o arc) [-1 cost/rank] for multi-target (the Limitation is assuming they have to be able to see the front of you). In either case the technique is probably also Subtle.

So this attack is +1 cost/rank for the single target, and +3 cost/rank for the area one?

2. Demoralizing people is an Intimidation check, so just buy lots of ranks in that skill. Note that the effects only last one round, though, so if you want to keep someone demoralized the whole fight then ask your GM if you can take a Feature letting you make the check as a free action once per turn (which seems to me like it should be okay).

Demoralization was just an idea on using his vanity (people see him and get self conscious about their own looks, maybe with some magic to help that idea take root). Another idea is making people loath to attack him (he's too pretty, I can't destroy such a work of art).

The Random NPC
2015-05-12, 10:11 PM
So I spoke with my aforementioned friend, he's going to suggest that we be set at power level 7 or 8, but also have a bit more points than that would indicate. We also took a quick look at some of the base effects, and I think I'll use weaken as the base. I'll target Intelligence, Awareness, and Presence (though I'll probably drop Presence). I think I'll also use that single target attack you suggested and fluff it as a "Looks can kill" kind of thing. That did make me think of something though, if I have the Continuous effect applied, and the Sense Dependent (Visual), couldn't I just wear a lot of concealing clothing to to temporarily negate Continuous? Is there some kind of rule against that? Not that I would do such a thing, it would be a crime to deprive the world of my beauty.

Sith_Happens
2015-05-13, 02:51 AM
Not that I'm aware of, though any supernatural Protection effect would likely have to be some kind of jutsu.

What about "natural" Protection effects, as in "I'm just that tough?" Allowed or do you need to take Defensive Roll instead?

Honestly, I haven't really thought about how it would work, an image of a pretty boy constantly checking a hand mirror popped into my head and I thought that would be a fun character to play. I was trying to make a guy that was incredibly vain, almost so vain that he would be removed from the field, but his unique attacks are too effective to do that. So think Vanity Smurf but effective in combat somehow.

Just as a set of personality traits this stuff doesn't necessarily have to relate in any way to your jutsu.

So this attack is +1 cost/rank for the single target, and +3 cost/rank for the area one?

Both versions cost +1 point/rank over the cost of the base effect, which is 2 points/rank altogether for Damage or Affliction with no other modifiers (note that, in the case of Affliction, you're likely going to want some of the unique extras like Cumulative or Extra Condition).

We also took a quick look at some of the base effects, and I think I'll use weaken as the base. I'll target Intelligence, Awareness, and Presence (though I'll probably drop Presence).

Is this for the demoralizing? If so, I'd just go with the Feature (Can demoralize as a free action once per turn) if the GM okays that. Plus I just remembered the Taunt advantage:

You can demoralize an opponent with Deception rather than Intimidation (see Demoralize use of Intimidation Skill), disparaging and undermining confidence rather than threatening. Targets resist using Deception, Insight, or Will defense.

Which is exactly what you're describing.

I think I'll also use that single target attack you suggested and fluff it as a "Looks can kill" kind of thing.

It's probably going to be a ninjutsu, so don't forget to come up with a cool name for it.:smallwink:

That did make me think of something though, if I have the Continuous effect applied, and the Sense Dependent (Visual), couldn't I just wear a lot of concealing clothing to to temporarily negate Continuous? Is there some kind of rule against that? Not that I would do such a thing, it would be a crime to deprive the world of my beauty.

Continuous powers can already be turned on and off.

The Random NPC
2015-05-13, 04:58 AM
What about "natural" Protection effects, as in "I'm just that tough?" Allowed or do you need to take Defensive Roll instead?

I have no idea, I suppose I could always fluff it as a practically nil cost jutsu or something. I'll ask.

Just as a set of personality traits this stuff doesn't necessarily have to relate in any way to your jutsu.

Ah, but it would be nice if it did.

Both versions cost +1 point/rank over the cost of the base effect, which is 2 points/rank altogether for Damage or Affliction with no other modifiers (note that, in the case of Affliction, you're likely going to want some of the unique extras like Cumulative or Extra Condition).

Got it. Out of curiosity, how many powers and at what levels do you think is average?

Is this for the demoralizing? If so, I'd just go with the Feature (Can demoralize as a free action once per turn) if the GM okays that. Plus I just remembered the Taunt advantage:

Which is exactly what you're describing.

Alright, you've convinced me, also cause the Weaken I built cost 5 points per rank, and having a 1-3 rank Weaken sucks.

It's probably going to be a ninjutsu, so don't forget to come up with a cool name for it.:smallwink:

I'll do my best, but I'm not that great at names. :(

Continuous powers can already be turned on and off.

I forgot to mention applying the Flaw Permanent. If you have a Permanent Continuous Sense based power, could you use things like clothing to disrupt it?

Also I've been messing around with Skis' character generator, and here's what I've come up with so far. :smallsigh: Why must you be so useless Presence?

PL6

Abilities
Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 1, Intellect 3, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Powers
"Looks Can Kill:
Looks can Kill: Damage 6 [Increased Range (Perception); Sense-Dependent (Visual); Subtle]
(13 points)
You're so Ugly:
Taunt: Feature 1 [Can Demoralize as free action 1/turn]
(1 points)"

Equipment

Advantages
Attractive 2, Defensive Roll 1, Evasion 2, Fascinate 1, Improved Defense, Uncanny Dodge, Taunt

Skills
Athletics (+2), Deception 12 (+14), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation (+2), Investigation 6 (+9), Perception 8 (+11), Persuasion 8 (+10), Stealth 6 (+9)

Offense
Initiative +3

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 1
Toughness 4 (Def Roll 1), Fortitude 3, Will 3

Power Points
Abilities 40 + Powers 13 + Advantages 9 + Skills 23 + Defenses 5 = Total 90

Complications

Design Notes

Sith_Happens
2015-05-14, 03:16 AM
Got it. Out of curiosity, how many powers and at what levels do you think is average?

Any offensive power that you want to be effective against non-mooks should be at power level cap. How many powers is up to you, but keep in mind that there's a certain set of equipment and techniques that every ninja is expected to have:

Kunai and shuriken
Explosive tags
Basic trap-making materials
Clone Technique
Substitution Technique
Transformation Technique
Tree Climbing Technique
Water Walking Technique
Jumping ridiculously high and/or far
Running pretty darn fast

I forgot to mention applying the Flaw Permanent. If you have a Permanent Continuous Sense based power, could you use things like clothing to disrupt it?

Technically yes, though depending on how long it takes to block or unblock the power it probably won't fly with many GMs.

PL6

Abilities
Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 1, Intellect 3, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Powers
"Looks Can Kill:
Looks can Kill: Damage 6 [Increased Range (Perception); Sense-Dependent (Visual); Subtle]
(13 points)
You're so Ugly:
(1 points)"

Equipment

Advantages
Attractive 2, Defensive Roll 1, Evasion 2, Fascinate 1, Improved Defense, Uncanny Dodge, Taunt

Skills
Athletics (+2), Deception 12 (+14), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation (+2), Investigation 6 (+9), Perception 8 (+11), Persuasion 8 (+10), Stealth 6 (+9)

Offense
Initiative +3

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 1
Toughness 4 (Def Roll 1), Fortitude 3, Will 3

Power Points
Abilities 40 + Powers 13 + Advantages 9 + Skills 23 + Defenses 5 = Total 90

Complications

Design Notes

Things that stand out to me:

1. You don't have any of the things from the above List of Things That Literally Every Ninja Has, leaving the question of how you're not still a student.

2. Mainly as a result of the above, Looks Can Kill is your only attack, which is a problem considering that anyone deliberately attempting to not look at you gains +10 to resist it in exchange for a -2 to their attack rolls (which might not be a worthwhile tradeoff with your teammates around but spells your doom in a one-on-one fight).

3. You are extremely vulnerable to being punched in the face.

How to fix any of these problems in going to depend on the new power level and point total you're given. Personally, I'd mention the List of Things That Literally Every Ninja Has to the GM so they can keep it in mind when deciding on the point total. Or better yet, give all of them for free (with the possibility to improve them by spending points) so no one gets any ideas about taking the points they're supposed to buy the basics with and spending them on their own shticks instead. If the latter idea flies then here's how I'd build everything other than Substitution (which is tricky to model in game, but give me some time and I think I can figure out how):

Kunai, used in melee: Strength-based Damage 1 (Improved Critical 1, Removable)

Kunai, thrown: Strength-based Damage 1 (Ranged, Improved Critical 1, Removable)

Shuriken: Damage 1 (Ranged, Multiattack)

Explosive tag: Damage 5 (Burst Area, Variable Trigger 1)

Thrown kunai with explosive tag: Damage 5 (Ranged, Burst Area)

Ninja tools, misc.: Variable 2 (Limited to standard ninja tools)

Clone Technique: Summon 1 (Active, Multiple Minions 1, Horde, Feature: Can give one order mentally as a free action at time of activation)

Transformation Technique: Morph 4 (Increased Action: Standard, Quirk: Deactivates if user takes damage)

Tree-Climbing Technique: Wall-Crawling 2

Water Walking Technique: Water-Walking 1

Ninja speed: Speed 2

Ninja leap: Leaping 4 (Limited: Jumping speed cannot exceed ground speed)

Lord Raziere
2015-05-15, 07:31 PM
Yeah, substitution technique is like, the one of those hitch powers you get when you try to use a universal system to model a setting: sure the system works in 99% of the cases, but Substitution Technique is one of those 1% that defy the usual universal system treatment, and now you have to get creative.

its best that we try and look at what the Substitution Technique is meant to do: its a defensive technique, often activated in reaction to an attack mid-battle, and always gets the user away from harm and somewhere else.

Therefore its clearly some form of Dodge. but, usual dodging has a chance to fail, which we cannot have!

therefore:

Ultimate Effort (Dodge), 1 point

if you want it at its most basic form of course, but what if we want to work in the teleportation aspect of it?

Substitution Jutsu
Enhanced Trait: Ultimate Effort (Dodge)
Linked With
Teleport, 2 points, rank 1
3 points total.

Unless I'm mistaken about Advantages not being able to be an enhanced trait, but I can't seem to find anything that says they can't be an Enhanced Trait...

The Random NPC
2015-05-15, 09:30 PM

So I spoke with my friend, (the GM is really hard to get a hold of) and he said we are either just about to take the Chunin exam or have just completed it.

Yeah, substitution technique is like, the one of those hitch powers you get when you try to use a universal system to model a setting: sure the system works in 99% of the cases, but Substitution Technique is one of those 1% that defy the usual universal system treatment, and now you have to get creative.

its best that we try and look at what the Substitution Technique is meant to do: its a defensive technique, often activated in reaction to an attack mid-battle, and always gets the user away from harm and somewhere else.

Therefore its clearly some form of Dodge. but, usual dodging has a chance to fail, which we cannot have!

therefore:

if you want it at its most basic form of course, but what if we want to work in the teleportation aspect of it?

Substitution Jutsu
Linked With
3 points total.

Unless I'm mistaken about Advantages not being able to be an enhanced trait, but I can't seem to find anything that says they can't be an Enhanced Trait...

According to the character builder I have, they can be Enhanced. Though there may be two things called Enhanced that I'm unaware of.

JustIgnoreMe
2015-05-16, 02:08 AM
Depending on how your GM interprets it, making the Teleport a Reaction might assist (I seem to remember some people on these boards think it doesn't work by RAW, there's some issue with Movement actions).

Sith_Happens
2015-05-16, 05:15 AM
Depending on how your GM interprets it, making the Teleport a Reaction might assist (I seem to remember some people on these boards think it doesn't work by RAW, there's some issue with Movement actions).

The problem is that Reaction can only be applied to effects taking a free or standard action to use. For effects taking a move action to use, though, this problem can be solved by first applying the Increased Action flaw.

Substitution Jutsu
Linked With
3 points total.

This is one of the two ways I came up with to build it since my last post, except that you made two major errors (:smalltongue:):

1. Ultimate Effort aids checks, which means that Ultimate Dodge only works against area attacks, sense-dependent attacks, or if you've taken the defend action. What you want are Ultimate Toughness, Ultimate Fortitude, and probably Ultimate Will.

2. For two effects to be Linked they have to have the same range and once linked they share the same action, which means it's impossible to Link anything to Ultimate Effort in the way that's needed here. You have to use Reaction instead.

* Enhanced Advantage: Ultimate Toughness, Ultimate Fortitude, and Ultimate Will
* Teleport 2 (Increased Action: standard, Reaction: upon using an Ultimate Resistance, Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Limited: destination must be one you could reach using your other movement modes)
Total cost: 13 points
The other way I came up with was using the Triggered extra:

Teleport 2 (Increased Action: standard, Subtle Selective Trigger 1: would be hit by an attack, Quirk: cannot use again until triggered, Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Limited: destination must be one you could reach using your other movement modes) [5 points]
The upsides of this version are that it's cheaper and doesn't cost a hero point to use, the downside is that it's harder to use twice in the same fight.

Any trait can be made Enhanced, the whole point of Enhanced Trait is to turn non-powers into powers.

The Random NPC
2015-05-17, 01:49 AM
So I tried incorporating some of the stuff you guys suggested, also my GM bumped us up to PL 8.

PL8

Abilities
Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Powers
"Looks Can Kill:
(13 points)
You're so Ugly:
(1 points)
Kunai:
Alt: Kunai, Melee: Damage 1 [Improved Critical 1; Easily Removable]
Kunai, Thrown: Damage 1 [Increased Range, Multiattack; Easily Removable]
(4 points)
Explosions!:
Explosive Tag: Damage 5 [Variable Trigger 1, Burst Area; Easily Removable]
Alt: Thrown Kunai with Explosive Tag: Damage 5 [Ranged, Burst Area; Easily Removable]
(19 points)
I got this wrench:
Ninja Tools, Misc: Variable 2 [Limit (Standard Ninja Tools), Easily Removable]
(12 points)
More of ME!:
Clone Technique: Summon 1 [Active, Multiple Minions 1, Horde, Feature: Mental Order as free action at activation]
(7 points)
Transform and Roll Out:
Transformation Technique: Morph 4 [Increased Action: Standard, Quirk: Deactivates if user takes damage]
(13 points)
Movement:
Tree-Climbing Technique: Movement 2 [Wall Crawling 2], Water Walking Technique: Movement 1 [Water Walking 1], Ninja Speed: Speed 2, Ninja Leap: Leaping 4 [Limited: Jumping Speed can't exceed ground speed]
(10 points)"

Equipment

Advantages

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+3), Athletics 1 (+1), Deception (+2), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation (+2), Investigation 2 (+3), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+4), Stealth 2 (+4)

Offense
Initiative +2

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 0
Toughness 2 (Def Roll 1), Fortitude 1, Will 2

Power Points
Abilities 20 + Powers 79 + Advantages 9 + Skills 6 + Defenses 6 = Total 120

Sith_Happens
2015-05-20, 01:19 AM
So I tried incorporating some of the stuff you guys suggested, also my GM bumped us up to PL 8.

*looks over character*

Oh... Oh dear. I'm afraid "fixer-upper" doesn't begin to describe this.:smalleek:

Looks Can Kill:
(13 points)

Now that you're PL 8 this needs to be rank 8. Keeping it at rank 6 is a full 10% less chance of actually dealing any damage to someone with +8 Dodge and +8 Will.

Speaking of which, you forgot to write the "Resisted by Will" extra (which shouldn't be a cost increase, in fact if most enemies in this game are going to be high-Dodge/Parry-low-Toughness it's actually a flaw).

Kunai:
Alt: Kunai, Melee: Damage 1 [Improved Critical 1; Easily Removable]
Kunai, Thrown: Damage 1 [Increased Range, Multiattack; Easily Removable]
(4 points)
Explosions!:
Explosive Tag: Damage 5 [Variable Trigger 1, Burst Area; Easily Removable]
Alt: Thrown Kunai with Explosive Tag: Damage 5 [Ranged, Burst Area; Easily Removable]
(19 points)
I got this wrench:
Ninja Tools, Misc: Variable 2 [Limit (Standard Ninja Tools), Easily Removable]
(12 points)

Firstly, you did something wrong on Explosions!, Ranged Area Damage 5 costs 15 points not 18. Secondly, Kunai with Tag should probably be in the Kunai array, which unfortunately ups your total cost (but does let you put Improved Critical back on the non-exploding kunai for free). Which is fine, because thirdly you forgot to apply the cost reduction for Easily Removable. That's fine too though, because this stuff qualifies as equipment anyways, for double the cost reduction over Easily Removable.

Also, thinking about it, Triggered doesn't remove one's immunity to their own close-range area attacks, which means you need a Quirk on Explosive Tag saying that you'll be hurt by the blast if one goes off near you.

Altogether this adds up to 40 equipment points, requiring eight ranks of Equipment at a cost a 8 power points (27 points less than what you had it marked down as costing).

I'd check with the GM and the rest of the group what damage ranks basic ninja tools have by default, by the way, the values I gave are based on daggers and grenades but your GM might have thought differently (or not thought about it at all).

More of ME!:
Clone Technique: Summon 1 [Active, Multiple Minions 1, Horde, Feature: Mental Order as free action at activation]
(7 points)

I realized just now that the basic Clone Technique is both more accurately and far more cheaply represented using Illusion as the base effect:

Illusion [Visual, Auditory] (Independent, Limited 2: to duplicates of the user, Limited: duplicates must initially be at close range to user, Limited: any duplicate targeted by an attack disappears) (1 point/2 ranks)

Rank 4 (costing 2 points) gets you up to six clones at once plus any illusory kunai they care to throw, which should be as many clones as you ever need. One more point ups the Insight DC to tell they're clones without punching them to 17 (by applying "Limited: to increasing Insight DC" to ranks 5-7), one less than the maximum (for your power level) DC of 18.

Transform and Roll Out:
Transformation Technique: Morph 4 [Increased Action: Standard, Quirk: Deactivates if user takes damage]
(13 points)

Idea: Do you imagine Looks Can Kill still being usable while transformed? If not then you can make this an alternate effect of it.

Advantages

Personally I don't see the point of Improved Defense on any character that doesn't have Deflect (Reflect) or some other way to benefit from being missed by attacks.

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+3), Athletics 1 (+1), Deception (+2), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation (+2), Investigation 2 (+3), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+4), Stealth 2 (+4)

Your Deception is way too low for a skill you plan on actually using, and last I checked most ninja tend to have rather high Acrobatics and Stealth.

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 0
Toughness 2 (Def Roll 1), Fortitude 1, Will 2

Hoo boy. With defenses this low you're just asking to get one-shotted. I'd spend the points to boost all of them up to 8 pronto; thankfully that costs 27 points which is less than the 32 points minimum that the corrections I've made above save you, in fact it leaves just enough for Substitution Technique v2 from my last post (which is essentially a get-out-of-one-hit-per-fight-free card). You're still pretty much a one-trick-pony offensively, in fact it's starting to look like Naruto characters are just not quite feasible to build on a standard point total. What ever happened to those extra points you were possibly getting?

The Random NPC
2015-05-21, 03:31 PM
*looks over character*

Oh... Oh dear. I'm afraid "fixer-upper" doesn't begin to describe this.:smalleek:

I think my biggest problem is not knowing what is expected, hopefully that will come with experience.

Now that you're PL 8 this needs to be rank 8. Keeping it at rank 6 is a full 10% less chance of actually dealing any damage to someone with +8 Dodge and +8 Will.

Speaking of which, you forgot to write the "Resisted by Will" extra (which shouldn't be a cost increase, in fact if most enemies in this game are going to be high-Dodge/Parry-low-Toughness it's actually a flaw).

Upped and added.

Firstly, you did something wrong on Explosions!, Ranged Area Damage 5 costs 15 points not 18. Secondly, Kunai with Tag should probably be in the Kunai array, which unfortunately ups your total cost (but does let you put Improved Critical back on the non-exploding kunai for free). Which is fine, because thirdly you forgot to apply the cost reduction for Easily Removable. That's fine too though, because this stuff qualifies as equipment anyways, for double the cost reduction over Easily Removable.

Fixed.

Also, thinking about it, Triggered doesn't remove one's immunity to their own close-range area attacks, which means you need a Quirk on Explosive Tag saying that you'll be hurt by the blast if one goes off near you.

I think I'll leave it off and call it a special dodging technique.

Altogether this adds up to 40 equipment points, requiring eight ranks of Equipment at a cost a 8 power points (27 points less than what you had it marked down as costing).

I'd check with the GM and the rest of the group what damage ranks basic ninja tools have by default, by the way, the values I gave are based on daggers and grenades but your GM might have thought differently (or not thought about it at all).

I'll check, I passed the url for this thread on to my GM, hopefully they'll take a look. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong with the equipment though.

I realized just now that the basic Clone Technique is both more accurately and far more cheaply represented using Illusion as the base effect:

Illusion [Visual, Auditory] (Independent, Limited 2: to duplicates of the user, Limited: duplicates must initially be at close range to user, Limited: any duplicate targeted by an attack disappears) (1 point/2 ranks)

Rank 4 (costing 2 points) gets you up to six clones at once plus any illusory kunai they care to throw, which should be as many clones as you ever need. One more point ups the Insight DC to tell they're clones without punching them to 17 (by applying "Limited: to increasing Insight DC" to ranks 5-7), one less than the maximum (for your power level) DC of 18.

Added.

Idea: Do you imagine Looks Can Kill still being usable while transformed? If not then you can make this an alternate effect of it.

I suppose not, done.

Personally I don't see the point of Improved Defense on any character that doesn't have Deflect (Reflect) or some other way to benefit from being missed by attacks.

Removed.

Your Deception is way too low for a skill you plan on actually using, and last I checked most ninja tend to have rather high Acrobatics and Stealth.

I don't know how I missed that, I accidentally removed all my ranks in it.

Hoo boy. With defenses this low you're just asking to get one-shotted. I'd spend the points to boost all of them up to 8 pronto; thankfully that costs 27 points which is less than the 32 points minimum that the corrections I've made above save you, in fact it leaves just enough for Substitution Technique v2 from my last post (which is essentially a get-out-of-one-hit-per-fight-free card). You're still pretty much a one-trick-pony offensively, in fact it's starting to look like Naruto characters are just not quite feasible to build on a standard point total. What ever happened to those extra points you were possibly getting?

Upped my defense, as for the extra points, I can only really contact my GM during the game, which takes place on Mondays. Last Monday, they weren't feeling well, so we didn't get a chance to talk about it.

Finally, here's my most current build

PL8

Abilities
Strength 1, Stamina 1, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 1, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Powers
"Looks Can Kill:
Looks can Kill: Damage 8 [Increased Range (Perception), Resisted By Will; Sense-Dependent (Visual); Subtle]
Alt: Transformation Technique: Morph 4 [Increased Action: Standard, Quirk: Deactivates if user takes damage]
(18 points)
You're so Ugly:
(1 points)
Hey, Look Over There:
Substitution Technique: Teleport 1 [Subtle Selective Trigger 1: Would be hit by an attack, Accurate, ; Increased Action: Standard, Limited: Must be able to reach destination by other movements; Quirk: Can't use again until triggered, Change Direction, Change Velocity]
(5 points)
More of ME!:
Clone Technique: Illusion 4 [Visual, Auditory, Independent,; Limited 2: Duplicates of User, Limited: Duplicates must be at close range to User, Limited: Duplicates targeted by attack disappear]
(2 points)
Movement:
Tree-Climbing Technique: Movement 2 [Wall Crawling 2], Water Walking Technique: Movement 1 [Water Walking 1], Ninja Speed: Speed 2, Ninja Leap: Leaping 4 [Limited: Jumping Speed can't exceed ground speed]
(10 points)"

Equipment
"Kunai
Kunai, Melee: Damage 5 [Improved Critical 1]
Alt: Kunai, Thrown: Damage 3 [Increased Range, Multiattack]
Alt: Thrown Kunai w/explosive Tag: Damage 3 [Ranged, Area: Burst]Explosions!
Explosive Tag: Damage 4 [Variable Trigger 1, Burst Area]"

Advantages
Attractive 2, Defensive Roll 1, Evasion 2, Fascinate 1, Uncanny Dodge, Taunt, Equipment 4

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+10), Athletics 1 (+2), Deception 16 (+18), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation (+2), Investigation 1 (+3), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+4), Stealth 8 (+10)

Offense
Initiative +2

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8
Toughness 2 (Def Roll 1), Fortitude 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 26 + Powers 36 + Advantages 12 + Skills 20 + Defenses 26 = Total 120

DedWards
2015-05-25, 11:58 AM
My group plays M&M 3E most of the time, so I may be able to offer some help. Interestingly, we recently (a few months ago) finished a Naruto campaign. We started as Academy Students graduating to Genin and as the campaign progressed we advanced to Chunin, etc. One of the things we had to consider when making our characters was what type of jutsu we'd specialize in (Ninjutsu; Genjutsu; and / or Taijutsu) and, if we wanted to, what clan we belonged to (I played a fire based Ninjutsu character that wasn't from a specific clan). As for handling the overuse of Chakara, we all had to take the "Power Loss" Complication so that if the GM deemed it necessary, we'd run out of Chakara (happened to me a few times). We also agreed that because every Ninja (and thus every character in the campaign) has it, it's a little unfair to have to make the players pay for the Movement powers of Wall Crawling; Water Walking ; Speed ; and Leaping, unless the character has it on a higher level than the 'normal' ninjas. We treated Substitution in a similar way, but limited the distance to 30 ft; only 3 uses per combat; and not usable if you used it since your last turn as normal "Teleport 1" gave too much distance (60 ft) and using it in rapid succession was abused too often.

PL8

Abilities
Strength 1, Stamina 1, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 1, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Powers
"Looks Can Kill:
Looks can Kill: Damage 8 [Increased Range (Perception), Resisted By Will; Sense-Dependent (Visual); Subtle]
Alt: Transformation Technique: Morph 4 [Increased Action: Standard, Quirk: Deactivates if user takes damage]
(18 points)
You're so Ugly:
(1 points)
Hey, Look Over There:
Substitution Technique: Teleport 1 [Subtle Selective Trigger 1: Would be hit by an attack, Accurate, ; Increased Action: Standard, Limited: Must be able to reach destination by other movements; Quirk: Can't use again until triggered, Change Direction, Change Velocity]
(5 points)
More of ME!:
Clone Technique: Illusion 4 [Visual, Auditory, Independent,; Limited 2: Duplicates of User, Limited: Duplicates must be at close range to User, Limited: Duplicates targeted by attack disappear]
(2 points)
Movement:
(10 points)"

Equipment
"Kunai

Advantages
Attractive 2, Defensive Roll 1, Evasion 2, Fascinate 1, Uncanny Dodge, Taunt, Equipment 4

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+10), Athletics 1 (+2), Deception 16 (+18), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation (+2), Investigation 1 (+3), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+4), Stealth 8 (+10)

Offense
Initiative +2

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8

Power Points

Maybe because we've been playing M&M almost exclusively, including a lot of min-maxing from some players, but some of this feels a bit... meh. Not bad, just not up to the level I'm used to. That said, some of your powers (especially the attacks) should be in an array and some of the equipment (like the Kunai) should be purchased with equipment (but maybe not the exploding tags, they should be part of the attack array... maybe).

"You're so Ugly" might do better as an Affliction inside the attack array
Affliction 8 (16PP)
1st Degree: Impared, 2nd Degree: Disabled, Resisted by: Will; Cumulative, Increased Range: Ranged; Limited Degree
This gives the same effects as trying to Demoralize the opponent, but lasts longer than actually using the Demoralize action.

The Random NPC
2015-05-25, 07:40 PM
My group plays M&M 3E most of the time, so I may be able to offer some help. Interestingly, we recently (a few months ago) finished a Naruto campaign. We started as Academy Students graduating to Genin and as the campaign progressed we advanced to Chunin, etc. One of the things we had to consider when making our characters was what type of jutsu we'd specialize in (Ninjutsu; Genjutsu; and / or Taijutsu) and, if we wanted to, what clan we belonged to (I played a fire based Ninjutsu character that wasn't from a specific clan). As for handling the overuse of Chakara, we all had to take the "Power Loss" Complication so that if the GM deemed it necessary, we'd run out of Chakara (happened to me a few times). We also agreed that because every Ninja (and thus every character in the campaign) has it, it's a little unfair to have to make the players pay for the Movement powers of Wall Crawling; Water Walking ; Speed ; and Leaping, unless the character has it on a higher level than the 'normal' ninjas. We treated Substitution in a similar way, but limited the distance to 30 ft; only 3 uses per combat; and not usable if you used it since your last turn as normal "Teleport 1" gave too much distance (60 ft) and using it in rapid succession was abused too often.

Maybe because we've been playing M&M almost exclusively, including a lot of min-maxing from some players, but some of this feels a bit... meh. Not bad, just not up to the level I'm used to. That said, some of your powers (especially the attacks) should be in an array and some of the equipment (like the Kunai) should be purchased with equipment (but maybe not the exploding tags, they should be part of the attack array... maybe).

Affliction 8 (16PP)
1st Degree: Impared, 2nd Degree: Disabled, Resisted by: Will; Cumulative, Increased Range: Ranged; Limited Degree
This gives the same effects as trying to Demoralize the opponent, but lasts longer than actually using the Demoralize action.

Hey, thanks! It costs 1 point to put it into an array, right?

DedWards
2015-05-25, 11:34 PM
Hey, thanks! It costs 1 point to put it into an array, right?

Take all your powers you want in the array, figure out which is most expensive, and add the rest as 1 point 'alternate effects'. That makes it an array. Just remember to not include movement powers (like flight) and permanent powers (like clones) into the array. If you do, it'll stop working the second you try use an attack.

An array should help clear up some points to 'flesh out' your character a bit more with Skills and Advantages. Not sure if you guys will have a use for it, but the Skill "Expertise: Jutsu" was used to some degree in our campaign.

Sith_Happens
2015-06-01, 06:39 AM
I think my biggest problem is not knowing what is expected, hopefully that will come with experience.

The main rule of thumb is to assume that any important villain is going to be at at least your power level with all their attacks and defenses at the corresponding caps, and make sure that you'll both be able to put a dent in such an opponent and not go down like a wet noodle when they retaliate.

PL8

Abilities

Powers
"Looks Can Kill:
(18 points)
You're so Ugly:
(1 points)
Hey, Look Over There:
(5 points)
More of ME!:
(2 points)
Movement:
(10 points)"

Equipment
"Kunai

Advantages

Skills

Offense
Initiative +2

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8

Power Points

Is there a reason you fiddled with the damage ranks on your weapons? Maybe your GM okayed it anyways, but usually one of the things that makes equipment equipment is that it's standardized. Speaking of which, if you want to actually hit anything with your non-exploding kunai (which while handy is not strictly necessary) you'll need to put skill ranks into Close Combat (Kunai) and/or Ranged Combat (Kunai & Shuriken).

Your Toughness is still firmly in "wet noodle" territory, but at least you have a chance at avoiding attacks now. Getting that up to at least 6 would be my top priority; though it would be hilariously appropriate for a vanity-themed ninja to not be able to take a punch (and your GM might even throw you a bone and give you hero points for it), the problem comes from the many things you'll be targeted by that are rather deadlier than being punched in the face.

We treated Substitution in a similar way, but limited the distance to 30 ft; only 3 uses per combat; and not usable if you used it since your last turn as normal "Teleport 1" gave too much distance (60 ft) and using it in rapid succession was abused too often.

I think my triggered version isn't too abuseable, key word "think." You can start each fight with it ready to go off once, but after that it takes up your precious standard actions. I suppose the potential problem would be if you substituted away from attack and then immediately cast the jutsu again while your opponent was looking for where you went, so that by the time they have the chance to attack you again you're ready to substitute again.

Affliction 8 (16PP)

Missing Perception range and Sense-Dependent (Auditory).

On the other hand the Demoralize action is potentially far harder to resist, and with the ability to do it as a free action once per turn you can keep two enemies at once more or less permanently impaired at no cost to the rest of your offense.

Which you want is a matter of taste, I suppose.

The Random NPC
2015-06-01, 01:32 PM
Once again, thanks to everyone for the help. However, the campaign seems to have just ... disappeared.

DedWards
2015-06-01, 11:55 PM
However, the campaign seems to have just ... disappeared.

Well that just sucks